Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What are you guys using for Google+ on tablets?

The app and mobile website are both clearly meant for phones and the desktop version of the site is unusably slow on the honeycomb browser. Am I missing something or does the situation just suck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

IRQ posted:

I will be getting a Kindle Fire within the next week or so. Do the aps I've bought on my phone extend to that? Like since I own X on my phone can I install it to my Fire too without buying it again?

The Fire has no Google Market Play Store when you buy it so all your app purchases from there are unaccessible. There are ways to install the market on the fire though .

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I wish there was an app that acted like AutoHotkey for Windows. It would be a really helpful addition to Tasker, where you essentially tell it where to tap on the screen for you. With AHK you can 'record' a repetitive task and have it do it for you.

Bear with me for an example: At work, I'll need to go through hundreds of tabs in a browser at once copying the URL of an image or copying the name of a product. I will open up 100 tabs, open the recording program, click on one of the images, and the recording program gives me the coordinates of the screen where the image is (like 246, 506) and I'll plug that value into my little ImageGrabber.AHK I have that looks like this:

code:
#z::
Loop, 100 {
MouseClick, right,  246,  506
Sleep, 500
Send, o
Sleep, 500
Send, 2
Sleep, 500
}
So, when I press WinKey + Z the cursor automatically finds coordinates on the screen (246, 506) where the pictures on the vendor's website consistently are for each page. It right clicks, pauses for .5 seconds, types 'o' (copy image location), pauses for .5 seconds again, types 2 (firefox addon, switches to the next tab), pauses for .5 seconds again, and loops for the # of tabs I have open. In conjunction with a clipboard extender, the end result is 100 image URLs gathered automatically that I can append and paste all at once into the database. This keeps me from doing insanely repetitive tasks, and saves time because usually I'll be doing hundreds of tabs at a time.

So that was a really long way of illustrating the value of a similar program with android. I recently ordered some NFC tags. One tag I know I'm going to use for audio in my car. Currently, I get in my car, turn on the car, switch Bluetooth on on my phone, turn WiFi off, open TinyShark, go to the Player tab, and press play. The program for NFC Tags (NFCTL) can only automate so much of that. NFCTL can toggle BT/WiFi and open TinyShark, but I will still have to 1) Go to the Player Tab, 2) Click the play button. Some apps do have "Automatically Play" options, but some do not, including TinyShark. It doesn't make sense to me to go through all the work of buying NFC tags, programming them, but still having to finish the task I'm trying to automate by making a few more taps.

The solution would be an app that you can tell the 'Player' tab is at this location of the screen, and the 'play' button is at this location of the screen. When TinyShark opens, tap here, wait .5 seconds, then tap here, then end. I don't have a lot of programming knowledge, so this concept helps me automate tasks in Windows, and this same concept can help us automate tasks in Android.

Unless Tasker can do this and I totally wasted my time typing all that out, I would pay a good amount for an app that can do this and do it well.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Apr 12, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's not possible in Tasker, but I can definitely see some uses for it. You could submit a request to the dev, he's fairly responsive though generally has a pretty big list of requestes already.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

yamdankee posted:

Unless Tasker can do this and I totally wasted my time typing all that out, I would pay a good amount for an app that can do this and do it well.

I don't know about Tasker doing that, but you didn't waste your time; I didn't know about AHK and I think it's awesome, thanks! :hfive:

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Tunga posted:

That's not possible in Tasker, but I can definitely see some uses for it. You could submit a request to the dev, he's fairly responsive though generally has a pretty big list of requestes already.

Good suggestion. He got back to me in a little over an hour. What a guy!

Tasker Dev posted:

Hi yamdankee,

"I request functionality like AutoHotkey for Windows. It would be a really helpful addition to Tasker, where you essentially tell it where to tap on the screen for you. With AHK you can 'record' a repetitive task and have it do it for you."

That would be great but is not possible with Android for security reasons.

"So that was a really long way of illustrating the value of a similar program with android. I recently ordered some NFC tags. One tag I know I'm going to use for audio in my car. Currently, I get in my car, turn on the car, switch Bluetooth on on my phone, turn WiFi off, open TinyShark, go to the Player tab, and press play. The program for NFC Tags (NFCTL) can only automate so much of that. NFCTL can toggle BT/WiFi and open TinyShark, but I will still have to 1) Go to the Player Tab, 2) Click the play button."

If you have a rooted phone you can automate Go to player and Click Play with Tasker.

"Some apps do have "Automatically Play" options, but some do not, including TinyShark. It doesn't make sense to me to go through all the work of buying NFC tags, programming them, but still having to finish the task I'm trying to automate by making a few more taps."

You could contact the TinyShark dev...

Now to figure out how to "Go to player and click play with Tasker"...

Edit: OK, progress is being made. I am using the Action "DPad" in the Input menu for when TinyShark launches. I have it 'press' right one time, and it actually goes to the player tab automatically! Now the problem is I can't figure out how to get it to 'press' Play.

I just need to somehow make Tasker do something that makes TinyShark think that the play button, forward, or backward were pressed. It starts playing when any of those 3 are pressed. Judgement on my music choice is deserved, but I'd love to find out how to complete this task since I'm literally one step away from getting in my car, swiping my phone on an NFC tag, and hearing music!

Final Edit: I figured it out! It's all about the DPad function. I have it set to DPad Right once, then DPad Down once, then DPad left twice, then Dpad Press once. TinyShark now plays music on its own within seconds of me opening it. Once I get the NFC tags programmed, and if I can somehow place the tag in a way that the phone can stay in my holster and still get read as I'm getting in, all I'll have to do is get in the car and music will start!

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 12, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sereri posted:

The Fire has no Google Market Play Store when you buy it so all your app purchases from there are unaccessible. There are ways to install the market on the fire though .

Oh yeah, I know about that. First thing I'll do is root it, maybe put CM7 on it.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

yamdankee posted:

Good suggestion. He got back to me in a little over an hour. What a guy!

Now to figure out how to "Go to player and click play with Tasker"...

Edit: OK, progress is being made. I am using the Action "DPad" in the Input menu for when TinyShark launches. I have it 'press' right one time, and it actually goes to the player tab automatically! Now the problem is I can't figure out how to get it to 'press' Play.

Final Edit: I figured it out! It's all about the DPad function. I have it set to DPad Right once, then DPad Down once, then DPad left twice, then Dpad Press once. TinyShark now plays music on its own within seconds of me opening it.
Wow, the funny thing is that I'm pretty sure this is not the solution the Tasker author was suggesting at all! There is a way to have Tasker send an intent (which is like a specific instruction) to another activity. For example, you can send a URL to the browser app and say "show this URL" and it will do it because it. If you know what kind of instruction and data a certain screen or app will accept then you can manually create trigger these in Tasker. Generally you'd need to ask the author of the app whether such an intent exists and what the correct syntax would be.

(Edit: Intent is the wrong word I think, but I did this kind of thing for something a while ago.)

However, looks like you got it solved so I guess you can ignore all that!

Tunga fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 12, 2012

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Tasker can simulate media control input (play/pause-next track-previous track). If TinyShark responds to these, maybe this could help?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
I saw that option, but when I chose it Tasker prompted me for a File, so I assumed it was Play as in "When this happens, play this sound file". Is this option actually for a play button? If so, why am I seeing the Browse prompt for a file. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Oh I see the other media control option. No option for play, only "Toggle Pause". Seeing if I can get that to work. That would be a more elegant solution.

Edit 2: Good suggestion, but yeah, no dice. Tiny Shark does not respond to those. I'll have to stick with the Right, Down, Left Left, Press. Haha.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 12, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rotaryfun posted:

The woofi unlocker doesn't seem to get picked up in this version. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the unlocker, however woofi still reports that I don't have the paid version.

This was an easy fix.

Does anyone using the woofi beta I released yesterday have any issues they'd like to report before I release it on Play?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

yamdankee posted:

I saw that option, but when I chose it Tasker prompted me for a File, so I assumed it was Play as in "When this happens, play this sound file". Is this option actually for a play button? If so, why am I seeing the Browse prompt for a file. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Oh I see the other media control option. No option for play, only "Toggle Pause". Seeing if I can get that to work. That would be a more elegant solution.

Edit 2: Good suggestion, but yeah, no dice. Tiny Shark does not respond to those. I'll have to stick with the Right, Down, Left Left, Press. Haha.

That means TinyShark doesn't work with headphone controls either, so that's likely to change down the line.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Thermopyle posted:

This was an easy fix.

Does anyone using the woofi beta I released yesterday have any issues they'd like to report before I release it on Play?

No sir, that was it for me.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
This is partway iphone and pc related but mostly android and a lot of important details like a pw are missing.

My wife's work has a google calendar that the field techs work jobs off of tied to an email account that doesn't end in gmail.com. I don't know if this email account is hosted by google or what. The only place the inbox is accessible as far as my wife knows is with lotus on her own pc in her office. The field guys all have iphones and access the calendar with them.

They want her to be able to add appointments to that calendar from her android so if she's at lunch or something and someone calls she can add that persons poo poo right then.

edit: Q0. Can you even have a google calendar without the associated email being some type of gmail account?

Q1. How would an iphone access a google calendar normally? would the person setup the iphone cal to sync with google? (and would an associated email account sync too?) Or would they have an ios app from google for this? At any rate one of these guys has got to know the password. (that's a piece missing right now) they may or may not see the email inbox on their phones. My wife *thinks* its only her pc that sees that.

Q2. I thought at 1st what she should do is create an appt in her own calendar and add that email address as an invitee. But I wonder if that will actually cause it to pop up on the guys iphones, without her being at her desk looking at the inbox to accept. On exchange I know it will add to your cal, just in a pending state.

Q3. Is there a way to setup a second google calendar on her phone and would there be any pros and cons to this?

Edit: dear Jesus does the update that just happened to dolphin ever suck.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 12, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wagonburner posted:

edit: Q0. Can you even have a google calendar without the associated email being some type of gmail account?

If they're using google's software then yeah basically any address can have a google calendar. I still have an email address from grad school that does exactly that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Anyone else running WidgetLocker on ICS? Do you think it kinda sucks, compared to on GB? On my GNex, I get a ChompSMS popup on my lockscreen, which disappears after a second, even though I have it set to hide those. And, four times out of five, when I wake the screen up, it'll be in tool mode for a split second. My X2 didn't have either of those problems. I've got it set to Easy Wake, so I can press either the power button or the volume rockers, which disables the stock lockscreen. I downloaded SMS Popup and it was even worse. I don't use widgets on my lockscreen, but I've got four invisible sliders setup so I can launch certain things (gmail, camera, etc) directly from lock, but I ordered a Diztronic case that'll be here tomorrow, so I think I'm just going to turn off my lockscreen altogether and use WaveLauncher to quick launch my favorite apps.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XIII posted:

Anyone else running WidgetLocker on ICS? Do you think it kinda sucks, compared to on GB? On my GNex, I get a ChompSMS popup on my lockscreen, which disappears after a second, even though I have it set to hide those. And, four times out of five, when I wake the screen up, it'll be in tool mode for a split second. My X2 didn't have either of those problems. I've got it set to Easy Wake, so I can press either the power button or the volume rockers, which disables the stock lockscreen. I downloaded SMS Popup and it was even worse. I don't use widgets on my lockscreen, but I've got four invisible sliders setup so I can launch certain things (gmail, camera, etc) directly from lock, but I ordered a Diztronic case that'll be here tomorrow, so I think I'm just going to turn off my lockscreen altogether and use WaveLauncher to quick launch my favorite apps.

I've had problems as well, but some different from you. It will very often unlock to the home screen, rather than whatever was going on when the phone locked. I'm also getting the pop-up thing, though. Sometimes it will stay, however. I've emailed the guy about the unlock to home screen problem, but didn't get a response.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's actually less buggy on my Gnex than it was on my Droid X.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
whoops wrong thread. Sorry.

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 13, 2012

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007
Is there a GPS Navigation app that's not a pile of poo poo? The standard navigation app on my Desire HD eats dicks now, it takes ages to get my location.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Coleridge49 posted:

Is there a GPS Navigation app that's not a pile of poo poo? The standard navigation app on my Desire HD eats dicks now, it takes ages to get my location.
I'm guessing you've tried flushing and redownloading the aGPS data?

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

XIII posted:

I started using it recently on my Gnex and felt it was pretty lackluster. I previously used it on my Xoom and it was indistinguishable from to stock lock screen. Here on the Gnex its quite buggy. Make sure you enable the beta updates, the developer has put out a few updates recently that make it slightly less buggy.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

NiVRaM88 posted:

Make sure you enable the beta updates, the developer has put out a few updates recently that make it slightly less buggy.

How do you do this? I just looked in the app settings and the market, and couldn't find any mention of a beta channel.

Coleridge49
May 8, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you've tried flushing and redownloading the aGPS data?

Yeah, I don't know if it helped but I also downloaded GPS status app and locked onto 3 satellites which got me directions in about 1 and a half minutes instead of ummm never.

Hopefully this permanently fixes the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Coleridge49 posted:

Yeah, I don't know if it helped but I also downloaded GPS status app and locked onto 3 satellites which got me directions in about 1 and a half minutes instead of ummm never.

Hopefully this permanently fixes the problem. Thanks for the suggestion.
It probably won't permanently fix the problem but it will help for about two weeks.

If I'm not mistaken the DHD, DZ, and G2 all have somewhat finicky GPS. I'm guessing you're on the stock ROM, never rooted?

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Here's a suggestion for anyone reading this thread who is an app developer.

Make a Marry Bang Kill app. You'll make a trillion dollars.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pretty inconsequential but I just downloaded the update for GO Launcher and the new folder animation is super slick.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
DHD has a known gps antenna problem. Could be that if it's gotten worse where it once was good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qm_z65LA8k

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Is there some kind of 'crash report' app? My phone turned itself off twice today, and I want to avoid doing a factory reset.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
What's the best app to IM in google talk/chat (whatever you call the IM you do inside gmail)?

The Google+ app does NOT do that. I just sent a test message through it and it didn't show as an IM message to recipient.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

What's the best app to IM in google talk/chat (whatever you call the IM you do inside gmail)?

The Google+ app does NOT do that. I just sent a test message through it and it didn't show as an IM message to recipient.

I'm pretty sure that there should be a google talk app on your device. It's called Talk in your app drawer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are the best Dolphin HD add-ons? Especially for use on a tablet. I just got Desktop Toggles and it transformed the way I browse for the better.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

hooah posted:

How do you do this? I just looked in the app settings and the market, and couldn't find any mention of a beta channel.

Go to widgetlocker -> settings and hold down the down volume rocker. This will enable Experimental mode in a few seconds. After that you can enable beta updates in the Experimental menu. Then check for updates.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zweihander01 posted:

I'm pretty sure that there should be a google talk app on your device. It's called Talk in your app drawer.
This is correct but why the gently caress there is so much ambiguity between Talk, Talk in GMail, and Talk in Google+, Messenger, and Hangouts?

All my friends use Talk so I'm kind of locked in but it's ridiculous that the problem exists at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

This is correct but why the gently caress there is so much ambiguity between Talk, Talk in GMail, and Talk in Google+, Messenger, and Hangouts?

Google.

I guess Page has made some progress this year cleaning up this kinda poo poo, but I swear he's only done like 5% of the job so far.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

NiVRaM88 posted:

Go to widgetlocker -> settings and hold down the down volume rocker. This will enable Experimental mode in a few seconds. After that you can enable beta updates in the Experimental menu. Then check for updates.

Ok, I enabled the public betas, but it didn't seem to check for or download anything. I backed out and went into the experimental settings again, but still no activity. What am I missing?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Google.

I guess Page has made some progress this year cleaning up this kinda poo poo, but I swear he's only done like 5% of the job so far.
I guess I know that's the why but it's so infuriating.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Ok, I enabled the public betas, but it didn't seem to check for or download anything. I backed out and went into the experimental settings again, but still no activity. What am I missing?

Go back to the main settings menu, then click Check for Updates (under the More divider).

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have a cool idea for an app but I don't know jack poo poo about programming. Where do I start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

b0nes posted:

I have a cool idea for an app but I don't know jack poo poo about programming. Where do I start?

Learn Java.

• Locked thread