Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I trust Mr. Brian Fargo knows that we will be simply FURIOUS if the Scorpitron's death is not canon given how much time all of us spent trying to kill it!!! Actually it would clearly be disappointing if it did not appear in the sequel, so I am sure we can all understand. Maybe we will find Base Scorpitron in California where Scorpitron Babies are made :) :)

kimbo305 posted:

Trees growing out of derelict buildings is one of my fave post-Apocalyptic images.
Good call. I have always been too hung up on graffiti-covered bombed-out concrete architecture to really think about organic embellishments!

RedMagus posted:

I'm kinda curious, I'm hitting Boston Comic-Con in a week, so I'm kinda hoping to see some Wasteland stuff pop up. Longshot, but I'd love to get something like that Scorpitron as a print to toss up in my home.
You have to figure that at least one of these things is going to end up as a poster. Or possibly all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Rinkles posted:

Hardly a unique setting, but the image brought to mind this little short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doteMqP6eSc

I think over grown downtown setting is pretty unique for video games. It's always just bombed out dusty wastelands for downtowns and rarely trees and grass coming up everywhere like there actually would be.

Veinless
Sep 11, 2008

Smells like motivation

Roman posted:

Did someone post the Scorpitron 2.0 already?

I am so damned relieved to see green there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

randombattle posted:

I think over grown downtown setting is pretty unique for video games. It's always just bombed out dusty wastelands for downtowns and rarely trees and grass coming up everywhere like there actually would be.

I was commenting in general. Not being unique doesn't necessarily make something overused.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

randombattle posted:

12 Monkeys went for that style as well.

I'd venture to guess that, visually, sand and dust and ashes sells the whole “ruined city” better than trees do, since we tend to associate greenery in cities with them being alive and vibrant. The overgrown city shows up a whole lot more in the “lost civilisation” stories to show how far back in history and how truly lost in the unknown woods that ancient city is.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Enslaved did the post-apoc green cities really well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Veinless posted:

I am so damned relieved to see green there.
I had not thought of that aspect of it, that it actually does put to rest some fears that they would not do much to fundamentally differentiate the look from Fallout. That one picture is probably more vegetation than you can see anywhere in any of the Fallout games outside of Oasis or Jacobstown. Though I could certainly be forgetting some location.

Tippis posted:

I'd venture to guess that, visually, sand and dust and ashes sells the whole “ruined city” better than trees do, since we tend to associate greenery in cities with them being alive and vibrant. The overgrown city shows up a whole lot more in the “lost civilisation” stories to show how far back in history and how truly lost in the unknown woods that ancient city is.
True, but it is a fairly safe bet that now the "vegetation dead zones" will look even more stark and horrific in comparison! The whole "everything outside this inhabited section of Nevada and New Mexico is destroyed" thing can translate pretty well if even cactus disappear once you get a few hundred feet away from the habitable zone.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…speaking of which, if there is no death-trap golf course in WL2, I want my money back!

Bloody cacti. :suicide:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Ooh, thanks for reminding me that there WAS another sound effect on the PC version. GBWWWWWWWWW! You stepped on a landmine! GBWWWWWWWWWW! You stepped on a landmine! Oh no everyone is dead and now there are robots help :(

WASTELAND 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tippis posted:

I imagine more organic and overgrown ruins are harder to make look good then barren ones, as well.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Aaaaand we crossed 2.5 million :) (with paypal)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
WHERE ARE THE CELEBRATORY PICTURES

AM I DOING THIS RIGHT

Bolt Action was one of my favorite Photoshops ever, though the Jack Sparrow song has made it less funny since he might actually do this these days

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Quarex posted:

Me too, though it really does make sense--the publishers did not believe there was interest or that it was worth their time. He finally did something to demonstrate that he was right all along. The only problem is that now he has moved beyond needing their help :smug: crap now I am smugging too

I am so :smug: right now

Also $2.5M is the point at which everyone gets modding tools, right?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I know I've said it before, but I really encourage people to read through the Q&A Brian and Chris did over at Reddit. They spent over 7 hours answering questions, and there's just a wealth of fascinating information.

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/s81zu/rpg_fireside_chat_with_brian_fargo_and_chris/?sort=new

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 14, 2012

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ToxicFrog posted:

I am so :smug: right now

Also $2.5M is the point at which everyone gets modding tools, right?

Modding tools are 3mil I think.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And $500,000 in 3 1/2 days does not sound far-fetched. Just the current rate should get them to $2.65 or $2.7 million, and apparently every Kickstarter has a last-minute explosion, so hopefully this will be the same!

Edit: I have never tried to seriously look at Reddit before ... this is like the worst interface I have seen in the 2000s. How am I supposed to get anything out of this "interview" when all I see are inane comments filling the screen?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Quarex posted:

And $500,000 in 3 1/2 days does not sound far-fetched. Just the current rate should get them to $2.65 or $2.7 million, and apparently every Kickstarter has a last-minute explosion, so hopefully this will be the same!

Edit: I have never tried to seriously look at Reddit before ... this is like the worst interface I have seen in the 2000s. How am I supposed to get anything out of this "interview" when all I see are inane comments filling the screen?

Brian Fargo is highlighted. As for Chris I just scroll down and look for his name.

It is a bit annoying though. If I feel really ambitious maybe I'll see if I can cut and past just the Q&A part.

Although if I do that I probably will create a separate thread.

edit: plus not every comment loads, so you have to keep loading more. It's really annoying.

VVVV aaah thanks.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 14, 2012

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Brian Fargo is highlighted. As for Chris I just scroll down and look for his name.

It is a bit annoying though. If I feel really ambitious maybe I'll see if I can cut and past just the Q&A part.

Although if I do that I probably will create a separate thread.

Click on their names. You'll see their personal pages, complete with all of their replies. Right-click and Open New Window on Context, when necessary.

There's usually someone who does a post with all the answered questions in one mega-post when the sessions are over.

I think they're done for now, anyway.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Quarex posted:

NMA transcribed it into a standard format, though they culled bits that weren't related to Wasteland 2.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Chris Avellone posted:

Linearity can suck my balls. Wasteland 1 let you go anywhere and suffer the consequences - or reap the rewards.

Ahahaha, this is awesome.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Terror Sweat posted:

So wait, you dropped $250 without ever having played the original, or its successors? Without seeing any game play whatsoever of the thing you are spending money on? That's a lot of money to drop without even guaranteeing you'll like the final product.

Yeah, that's kind of the tone of this weird thread. This is turning into a cheerleading masterclass.

I'm grateful to all the people splurging out on this though, I guess. Hope the game is worth all this in the end.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

theblackw0lf posted:

Aaaaand we crossed 2.5 million :) (with paypal)

Quarex posted:

I have never tried to seriously look at Reddit before ... this is like the worst interface I have seen in the 2000s. How am I supposed to get anything out of this "interview" when all I see are inane comments filling the screen?

My eyes glaze over when I try to read other sites like that too. I dunno how people do it. Shacknews used to be unreadable too, hated having to go over there to "read" stuff.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Whoa. "Are the foreground characters supposed to represent the original party of Hell Razor, Angela Deth, Thrasher, and Snake Vargas?"

Now I cannot see anything else. Angela Deth is obvious, Hell Razor clearly has to be the guy with the spiked helmet, and though I could certainly see beardo being Mexican, I am going to go ahead and declare him to be Thrasher, leaving face-mask as Snake Vargas. Now I love it even more, DESPITE THE FACT THAT BRIAN FARGO CLAIMED THIS WAS NOT TRUE

I kind of love his answer to the naysayer, like "you are right, I did kind of run Interplay into the ground in the late 1990s, BECAUSE I REFUSED TO SWITCH TO PRIMARY CONSOLE DEVELOPMENT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, REMEMBER HOW THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT"

YAY NO MERGING WITH FALLOUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I know there are undoubtedly people in this thread who were hoping for that, and some comments on Twitter and plenty on the main forums were basically straight-up requesting the game to be based around Van Buren's storyline, so I am very glad to hear them say this early on (even if it may be largely because it would be legally dangerous ground). That said, they also mentioned that there is some never-revealed design stuff for Van Buren that might come up, but if it is something nobody knows about anyway I do not see much harm (though why did it never come up I wonder?).

Oh man, Brian Fargo saying "a single color filter can get exhausting for players" is so awesome, too. Particularly singling out the Scorpitron image to point out that it will be a mix of desolate and overgrown! WOOOOOO

Super-glad to read Chris Avellone saying they went overboard with the humor in Fallout 2. I still loved Fallout 2, but I want Wasteland 2 to be headed in the right direction in every way possible. Honestly the worst thing from what I originally said I wanted is the addition of the "building up an outpost" mechanic, but the way they pitched why that will be happening in-game is compelling enough that I am even on board with that now.

(Believe it or not, despite being employed as a full-time cheerleader, I still refuse to uncritically accept everything, because that would make me a fanatic instead of an enthusiast!)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Quarex posted:

That said, they also mentioned that there is some never-revealed design stuff for Van Buren that might come up, but if it is something nobody knows about anyway I do not see much harm (though why did it never come up I wonder?).
Because they were saving them just for this game. Even in the darkest days they knew deep in their hearts that a turn-based RPG worthy of those creative design decisions would emerge from the ashes of a dead genre, and when that day arrived they would need them to create the most magnificent RPG experience ever. That day is upon us.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Because they were saving them just for this game. Even in the darkest days they knew deep in their hearts that a turn-based RPG worthy of those creative design decisions would emerge from the ashes of a dead genre, and when that day arrived they would need them to create the most magnificent RPG experience ever. That day is upon us.
Praise the lord, and pass the ammunition.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Quarex posted:

Reddit is a genuinely terrible site that you can read about in the D&D megathread if you want to learn about things like :pedophiles: and :biotruths: with their layout being a minor offense compared to content.

myname_isdoug
Jul 9, 2003

i can and i can not
I never played the original Wasteland but i just pledged $250 so I could get Chris Avellone's autograph.

I intend to eat the signed box so that part of him will become part of me, forever.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reddit is a genuinely terrible site that you can read about in the D&D megathread
I suspect I will be horrified forever if I do this, but I will take it under advisement.

myname_isdoug posted:

I never played the original Wasteland but i just pledged $250 so I could get Chris Avellone's autograph.

I intend to eat the signed box so that part of him will become part of me, forever.
THIS IS WHAT I LIKE TO HEAR!!!

I was originally going to be understated and just post this without comment, but I think I owe it to the handful of people who are looking forward to this to say something

AHEM

HERE IS A SOMETHING TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA OF A SOMETHING ELSE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-yiU5DF44c

YouTube's stabilizer filter is seriously amazing

No I am not going to do three at once sorry

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Quarex posted:

Super-glad to read Chris Avellone saying they went overboard with the humor in Fallout 2. I still loved Fallout 2, but I want Wasteland 2 to be headed in the right direction in every way possible.

You mean, your direction. :v:

Dudes
Jan 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
you've..got..your...balls...to...the...wall

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've been following this thread for a while now, having seen the goals being reached again and again, my heart swelling with every landmark goal and the warm fuzzy feeling i get from reading every last one of you guy's comments, not to mention every little cheerleading moment of Quarex of course! Its made me fervently hope id see it go even higher with each passing day, a hope that has been fullfilled with gusto.

I played through all the Fallout games, with Fallout 1 being the first one at the tender age of 11.The memories and associations i have with those games (and the other Interplay games too of course!) have been more than enough to make me want to give to this kickstarter, the only trouble being that i am, right now, more or less out of money, having been unemployed for four months until just a few weeks ago..

Eh what the hell.

Better late than never huh?

Who needs food anyways.. :smith:

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Quarex posted:

Whoa. "Are the foreground characters supposed to represent the original party of Hell Razor, Angela Deth, Thrasher, and Snake Vargas?"

Now I cannot see anything else. Angela Deth is obvious, Hell Razor clearly has to be the guy with the spiked helmet, and though I could certainly see beardo being Mexican, I am going to go ahead and declare him to be Thrasher, leaving face-mask as Snake Vargas. Now I love it even more, DESPITE THE FACT THAT BRIAN FARGO CLAIMED THIS WAS NOT TRUE

I kind of love his answer to the naysayer, like "you are right, I did kind of run Interplay into the ground in the late 1990s, BECAUSE I REFUSED TO SWITCH TO PRIMARY CONSOLE DEVELOPMENT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, REMEMBER HOW THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT"

YAY NO MERGING WITH FALLOUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I know there are undoubtedly people in this thread who were hoping for that, and some comments on Twitter and plenty on the main forums were basically straight-up requesting the game to be based around Van Buren's storyline, so I am very glad to hear them say this early on (even if it may be largely because it would be legally dangerous ground). That said, they also mentioned that there is some never-revealed design stuff for Van Buren that might come up, but if it is something nobody knows about anyway I do not see much harm (though why did it never come up I wonder?).

Oh man, Brian Fargo saying "a single color filter can get exhausting for players" is so awesome, too. Particularly singling out the Scorpitron image to point out that it will be a mix of desolate and overgrown! WOOOOOO

Super-glad to read Chris Avellone saying they went overboard with the humor in Fallout 2. I still loved Fallout 2, but I want Wasteland 2 to be headed in the right direction in every way possible. Honestly the worst thing from what I originally said I wanted is the addition of the "building up an outpost" mechanic, but the way they pitched why that will be happening in-game is compelling enough that I am even on board with that now.

(Believe it or not, despite being employed as a full-time cheerleader, I still refuse to uncritically accept everything, because that would make me a fanatic instead of an enthusiast!)

This is seriously the best post. Screw Toxx Claws, I want a Book of Quarex for the SA item :allears:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Thanks to everyone letting me know they like the tables, and also WOOO to passing 2.5 million. I went back through the thread and was going to try and apply a name and a dollar amount a make a big list of goon contributors (The rat says squee already did this and sent me the info, but he didn't get the names unfortunately) and get a more accurate idea of how much we have raised (other than a vague "around $20,000" approximation, which is as accurate as I can get for now). Around page 20 I ran out of steam, but I'll start it back up tomorrow... I have an idea of something to do with this info, and I think it will be pretty darn cool. (if anyone wants to help, PM me).

It's pretty awesome going back through the thread and seeing the early naysayers and predictons (including my own) getting completely blown away. Most people were guessing a maximum of $1.5 million, but the Obsidian showed up and blew everyone's faces off.

Like someone said earlier in the thread, kickstarter is showing an untapped consumer potential that could make every middle man/focus grouper in every creative field unemployed.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rinkles posted:

Hardly a unique setting, but the image brought to mind this little short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doteMqP6eSc

This is amazing and now I want to see more. And I want the glove and the sword.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

You mean, your direction. :v:

I think you meant ERECTION.

Good to see that they have their design documents clear and they know what they want to do with the game. Hopefully, this should prevent "cut-contentitis" from developing in the game.

Man these initiatives are going to wipe out my savings this year. $500 to Wasteland 2 and $250 for Shadowrun.

You know what crazy idea I thought up? A Kickstarter for the D20 Buck Rogers franchise! I played the genesis port of Buck Rogers and The Doomsday Laser and loved the HELL out of it. Is there a place to suggest Kickstarter projects?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

RagingBoner posted:

Thanks to everyone letting me know they like the tables, and also WOOO to passing 2.5 million. I went back through the thread and was going to try and apply a name and a dollar amount a make a big list of goon contributors (The rat says squee already did this and sent me the info, but he didn't get the names unfortunately) and get a more accurate idea of how much we have raised (other than a vague "around $20,000" approximation, which is as accurate as I can get for now). Around page 20 I ran out of steam, but I'll start it back up tomorrow... I have an idea of something to do with this info, and I think it will be pretty darn cool. (if anyone wants to help, PM me).

That would be interesting, I was hoping somebody would do a Goon Total so we can see how much SA helped the game.

I'm still amazed at nearly 3 million dollars from 50,000 people, that is mind blowing to me that so few people could raise so much. Makes me rethink a lot about how successful some failures are, like when you hear a game only sold 120K copies and is still considered a failure.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Just under 68 hours left!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

That would be interesting, I was hoping somebody would do a Goon Total so we can see how much SA helped the game.

I'm still amazed at nearly 3 million dollars from 50,000 people, that is mind blowing to me that so few people could raise so much. Makes me rethink a lot about how successful some failures are, like when you hear a game only sold 120K copies and is still considered a failure.

Depends a lot on the game, though. Dungeons of Dredmore sells 120k copies at $5? They've recouped the development costs and then some. Call of Duty sells 120k copies at $60? That doesn't even cover a tenth of the marketing budget.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

Sometimes those 120k copies are the result of more than double what WL2's raised and had a publisher taking a cut on top of Steam/Brick and Mortar stores. If a company spends 10 million to make a game and they move under 500k copies it's very possible to lose money on it.

Then you have the small groups with guys like Notch and Redigit that move a million copies of their indie game. If Wasteland 2, Doublefine, Banner Saga or Shadowrun can move 500k-1mil+ copies of their game it's going to be huge news as fan-funding will have potentially put them in the position to never need to be shackled to others again. The only question would be if they'd keep using kickstarter or not.

ToxicFrog posted:

Depends a lot on the game, though. Dungeons of Dredmore sells 120k copies at $5? They've recouped the development costs and then some. Call of Duty sells 120k copies at $60? That doesn't even cover a tenth of the marketing budget.

Dredmore's $15, not $5, but yeah, they'd be in the same position as the two examples above. Development costs made back and likely more than enough to fund their small team's next game or two. If small indie groups start flourishing that'd be the best possible thing for gaming. Major AAA studios could still put out big games but you'd have dozens of fun things from indie studios, maybe not done as well on average, but easily worth the price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Evil Fluffy posted:

The only question would be if they'd keep using kickstarter or not.

I'd feel weird if inexile(for example) made tons of money off wasteland 2 after it came out then came back around with their hat in their hand asking for a 2nd go around. I definitely wouldn't put up more then I did this first time around.

Right now he seems kinda like a underdog championing a genre that fell by the wayside, but if they just bankrolled $5 million I would feel like they can make wasteland 3 without my help (beyond maybe a preorder).

I guess I'm hoping that these smaller companies use kickstarter to kind of kickstart self publishing and then go from there and not come around for 2nds and 3rds.

• Locked thread