Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

I fixed up a few problems with how the tool raws were being used (Quietust tips again!). For fun, to test it, I made tools available for use in the arena, so you can now set people on each other with steel boning knives and iron cauldrons.
YESSSSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

YESSSSSSSS

Still hoping he'll let us mess with item quality in the arena.

Sorry about the (perhaps unsurprising) lack of updates the last few days, I've been working on some other DF-related stuff. Also, I have work this weekend, which is great.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Vox Nihili posted:

I've been working on some other DF-related stuff.

While extremely dwarfy, St. Patrick's day is not actually DF-related!

e: wow, I wasn't even close to what I meant to say the first time :downs:

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 17, 2012

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Oh hey, more fights.

Goblin Supremacy.

Made a bit of coin on that one. Excellent.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh hey so

Vox Nihili posted:

I'd like to add that the "winner" of this just might earn a very special prize in the next tournament. ;)

:silent:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

:hist101: :spain:

where red pixels :saddowns:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Oh hey so

:silent:

What part of "might" don't you understand? ;)

quote:

where red pixels

Fights coming up "tomorrow" (3/27) for sure!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Fights coming up "tomorrow" (3/27) for sure!

That means you bastards have only hours left to get in on this sweet sweet betting against me. Odds are 2:1 right now, and I'm half the size of my opponent.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Seventeen:siren:

Match Seventeen, Moustache Billy (Samopsa) vs. Sir Hiss (Spermy Smurf)

Aaaand we're back! Moustache Billy, tigerman, is fairly well-armored with an iron helm, iron mail shirt, and iron gauntlets. He effortlessly wields a matching iron halberd. His opponent, Sir Hiss the serpent man, favors a steel battleaxe and oaken shield. This fight looks like a fairly even match- let's see who pulls it off!

The match is underway. Both warriors rush forward, Sir Hiss clearly at a speed advantage. They meet in the center, and the serpent man immediately strikes! His steel battle axe severs one of Moustache Billy's appendages! Unfortunately for Sir Hiss, details aren't in his favor: he only removed the tigerman's useless though admittedly luxurious tail! Moustache Billy charges forward, and though Sir Hiss blocks the tigerman's strike, the serpent man is knocked to the ground, stunned.

From there, the tigerman chooses to pursue an eye for an eye policy, chopping off the serpent man's tail in retribution for his own! But Sir Hiss's tail is a thick, muscular structure required for the serpent man to stand at all, so its loss will be much more dearly felt. That is, if Sir Hiss survives long enough to feel any regret- Mustache Billy slashes the serpent man across the chest, tearing into one of his lungs. Finally, Sir Hiss shakes off the confusion of the initial impact from just moments ago, but much has already been lost.

Sir Hiss attempts a strike, but is unable to connect from his disadvantageous position. The tigerman rakes him across the belly with 2-inch claws, sending the serpent man into a state of near-shock. Mustache Billy follows up with a slash of his halberd across the same area, spilling Sir Hiss's guts across the cold arena floor! Sir Hiss faints a moment later, overcome by pain. The tigerman swings his halberd in one final overhead strike, splitting the serpent man's head like firewood. Mustache Billy, tailless, advances.

Combat Log

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Badass fight. At this point I'm convinced that halberds are the best weapons to ever exist.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

pw pw pw posted:

Badass fight. At this point I'm convinced that halberds are the best weapons to ever exist.

Historically-speaking? This is not inaccurate. Back in Ye Olden Times, it was pretty much the supreme weapon of the medieval battlefield: it combined the reach and pointed, charge-breaking tip of a spear, with the leverage and crushing weight of a poleaxe. Polearms in general are INCREDIBLY effective, though.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yay! I win money by listening to the advice of the fighters! :downs:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Eighteen:siren:

Match Eighteen, Gitch (ghosts on the moon) vs. McGruff the Crime Hound (Pure Kamikaze)

At last we come to the knife-fight! Gitch the gremlin dual-wields two bronze daggers and wears some minimal copper armor. McGruff the Crime Hound, werewolf, prefers a steel dagger and has a bizarre set of armor. Silver mail, bronze mail, bronze boots, leather leggings, hardened leather chest armor, and a silver helmet. We won't ask too many questions about this setup, but truth be told, the bronze mail and boots could prove decisive against Gitch in this bout.

The match begins. The fighters sprint in, Gitch much swifter than his larger, heavily armored foe. The gremlin takes the first swing, but McGruff slips by him, dodging the dagger strike.

The combatants circle for some time, each with their dagger(s) at the ready, but neither willing to strike first. Finally, almost a full minute later, Gitch lashes out with his dagger again, but once more misses the nimble werewolf. McGruff's counter whiffs as well. Now McGruff attempts some aggression, but the gremlin dodges away. Gitch attacks and finally scores a hit- but the werewolf's bronze boot deflects the strike. McGruff suddenly rushes his opponent, slicing wildly, but Gitch is able to hop back in time to avoid being trampled.

Twice more the werewolf charges, not stopping for a second to give Gitch time to prepare, but each time the gremlin flings himself to safety!

But McGruff keeps up with his aggressive strategy. Eventually Gitch is knocked down, and is not quite able to get away from the blitzing werewolf. On the third knockdown, Gitch is sufficiently weakened for McGruff to land some thrusts, shredding the gremlin's kidney and foot.

McGruff then neatly severs his opponent's spinal cord, leaving the gremlin defenseless. Then he sets in on the dismemberment. Fortunately for Gitch, death comes swiftly. McGruff advances, and the moral of the story is that one steel dagger is a hell of a lot better than two bronze ones.

Combat Log

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Every time I see a tiny fighter with armor on I regret a little more that I was away during sign-ups.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Yay! I win money by listening to the advice of the fighters! :downs:

We arent friends anymore.

Also I demand a rematch. God damnit. A loving tail? I cut off a loving tail? God damnit.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 28, 2012

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
gently caress yeah I won! Sorry for your loss, Spermy (not really though)!

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

My name is Dirty Frank and I like this thread, please don't die.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Oh, this thread won't die. In fact, I see there's a fight going on right now! Check out this wicked combat log!

quote:

*** STARTING NEW GAME ***
** Starting New Arena **
TimelyUpdates charges at VoxTime!
TimelyUpdates misses VoxTime!
TimelyUpdates collides with VoxTime!
TimelyUpdates is knocked over and tumbles backward!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right upper arm with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the upper body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
TimelyUpdates is having trouble breathing!
The TimelyUpdates is no longer stunned.
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left lower arm with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime scratches TimelyUpdates in the lower body, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle and bruising the spleen!
The TimelyUpdates stands up.
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left hand with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the upper body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right upper leg with his platinum war hammer, chipping the bone!
The TimelyUpdates falls over.
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the upper body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the left lung!
TimelyUpdates is having trouble breathing!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right lower arm with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left foot with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left lower arm with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the upper body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle, jamming the right false ribs through the liver and tearing the liver!
The platinum war hammer has lodged firmly in the wound!
VoxTime twists the embedded platinum war hammer around in TimelyUpdates's upper body!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the upper body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the liver!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left lower arm with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left lower leg with his platinum war hammer, chipping the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the head with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and tearing the upper spine's nervous tissue!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right lower leg with his platinum war hammer, chipping the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the upper body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the heart!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right lower arm with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left upper arm with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left foot with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the head with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and tearing apart the upper spine's nervous tissue!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right upper arm with his platinum war hammer, jamming the bone through the right shoulder's muscle and fracturing the right shoulder's bone!
VoxTime scratches TimelyUpdates in the left foot, tearing the muscle and bruising the bone!
VoxTime scratches TimelyUpdates in the left hand, tearing the muscle and bruising the bone!
A motor nerve has been severed!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the lower body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and tearing the lower spine's nervous tissue!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the lower body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the spleen!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the lower body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the pancreas!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right ear with his platinum war hammer, tearing apart the cartilage!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right lower leg with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the head with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the upper spine's nervous tissue!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right upper leg with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right upper leg with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left upper arm with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right hand with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right foot with his platinum war hammer, jamming the bone through the right ankle's muscle and shattering the right ankle's bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right hand with his platinum war hammer, shattering the bone!
VoxTime scratches TimelyUpdates in the left hand, tearing the muscle and bruising the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left hand with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime punches TimelyUpdates in the left lower leg with his right hand, bruising the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the lower body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the pancreas!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left upper leg with his platinum war hammer, chipping the bone!
VoxTime bites TimelyUpdates in the lower body, tearing the fat and bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
VoxTime latches on firmly!
VoxTime shakes TimelyUpdates around by the lower body, tearing apart the lower body's fat!
VoxTime shakes TimelyUpdates around by the lower body, tearing apart the lower body's fat!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left hand with his platinum war hammer, shattering the bone!
VoxTime punches TimelyUpdates in the lower left back teeth with his right hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left upper arm with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the lower body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
TimelyUpdates looks sick!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the left lower leg with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right upper arm with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the lower body with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the right lower leg with his platinum war hammer, fracturing the bone!
VoxTime punches TimelyUpdates in the upper body with his right hand, bruising the muscle and shattering the right true ribs!
VoxTime bites TimelyUpdates in the head, tearing the muscle, bruising the skull!
TimelyUpdates has been knocked unconscious!
VoxTime latches on firmly!
VoxTime shakes TimelyUpdates around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!
An artery in the head has been opened by the attack!
VoxTime bashes TimelyUpdates in the head with his platinum war hammer, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing the brain!
TimelyUpdates has been struck down.

Pretty brutal stuff. :black101:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Since we're over halfway through round 2, something like two thirds of the fights in the tournament have already been completed. I'm sure Vox will get his second wind soon!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
This thread is dead to me.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Spermy Smurf posted:

This thread is dead to me.

My opponents are all dead to me :black101:

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
We're almost at the next round, no?

Edit: well 14 to go. so not really.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CommaToes posted:

We're almost at the next round, no?

Edit: well 14 to go. so not really.

Marathon updates starting tomorrow. Hopefully I can burn through those 14 by the end of this week!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Nineteen:siren:

Match Nineteen, Ook. Ook? OOOOOOKK! (Exercu) vs. Gary "Hanzo" Busey (Joecool)

Ook. Ook? OOOOOOKK!, strangler, wields an iron battleaxe, apparently with great skill. He dons no armor. Gary "Hanzo" Busey, alleged goblin, chooses to protect himself with iron mail and a silver helm. The iron mail, in particular, could prove decisive for this fight! His weapon of choice is a steel long sword. Well Gary Busey's cheap but intelligent armor purchases be enough to lead him to victory?

The match begins! Both fighters rush forward at what appears to be matching paces. Ook swings first, but Gary deftly evades the strike by continuing with his forward momentum past his opponent. The two circle for a moment, regarding each other warily, when suddenly Ook charges forward at his larger opponent! His strike misses, but he collides with the goblin with enough force to knock him to the ground!

Ook hacks wildly at his downed opponent, cutting off an arm at the elbow, slicing open a foot, then severing a leg below the knee before Gary can so much as react! Finally, the goblin slices out with his sword, but Ook merely parries the blow and continues his assault.

Fortunately for Gary, his iron mail protects his center mass, and Ook spends several moments fruitlessly attempting to cut through before settling on ripping open the goblin's face with a clawed hand. Gary slices at Ook once more, but the strangler easily evades, then merrily cleaves off the goblin's remaining hand, leaving him unable to wield his blade. Gary "Hanzo" Busey bleeds out immediately after, leaving Ook to advance!

Combat Log

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Twenty:siren:

Match Twenty, Clown Baby (longgonejohn) vs. Meat curtains (Jackyl)

In what appears to be the most avant garde fight we've had so far, we have a tigerman named "Clown Baby" up against a gremlin named "Meat curtains." Clown Baby has an iron halberd, oak shield, copper helm, and leather armor. Meat curtains wields a tiny but expensive adamantine dagger and an oak buckler in her tiny fists. We all expect the gremlin to die horribly, but will she? Will she!?

Yup. Meat curtains is quick enough to get two strikes in before her opponent can strike, but the tigerman parries and blocks them in turn. Clown Baby follows with a charge, stunning the gremlin. He then slashes her in the left arm, inflicting a moderate wound, before decapitating her with a simple chop.

Combat Log

Both fighters had equal weapon skill, which is always a bad sign for the little guy. They really need a skill edge to stand a chance.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 17, 2012

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
More fights later tonight!

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!
Ook :swoon:

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!
From behind the locked gates of the gladiator pit, Ted the Hurty gazed out over the crimson-stained field of battle, his fingers alternately tightening and loosening on the handle of his flail.

"Pfft," he scoffed. "I can take these guys."

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I think I speak for all of us when I say that since Sir Hiss was beaten it's really hard to care about this anymore.

(Welcome back, Vox. I just bet my last dorfbuck)

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Victor-

Vox Nihili posted:

Ook hacks wildly at his downed opponent, cutting off an arm at the elbow, slicing open a foot, then severing a leg below the knee before Gary can so much as react!

Vox Nihili posted:

Fortunately for Gary, his iron mail protects his center mass, and Ook spends several moments fruitlessly attempting to cut through before settling on ripping open the goblin's face with a clawed hand. Gary slices at Ook once more, but the strangler easily evades, then merrily cleaves off the goblin's remaining hand, leaving him unable to wield his blade. Gary "Hanzo" Busey bleeds out immediately after, leaving Ook to advance!

oh poo poo

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Arg, I must have overrated the dodge skill at 10. Meat curtains is curtains. :(

E: I considered the parry problems, but I figured the charge and stun was more dangerous to little people. so, I decided to go for dodging until getting a lucky strike in and assumed weapon skills would level up at the same rate with strike/parry. obviously, that was wrong.

e2: still in awe that a 10 dodge skill got hit with the first charge, good job by Clown Baby. Maybe the size differential makes it harder to dodge a charge since you have to move further?

Since it no longer matters, here's the build:

She has the following skills.
Level 4 Fighting (Skilled)
Level 8 Knife (Expert)
Level 10 Dodging (Accomplished)
Level 3 Shield (Competent)

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 18, 2012

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Yeah, your weapon skill is absolutely the biggest determiner of how well you'll do.

After luck, of course. :v:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

jackyl posted:

e2: still in awe that a 10 dodge skill got hit with the first charge, good job by Clown Baby. Maybe the size differential makes it harder to dodge a charge since you have to move further?

With a sample space of 1 there really isn't enough data to say anything about how good dodge 10 is against tigermen.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Oh, here is Sir Hiss' losing build.

He has the following equipment.
Steel Battleaxe
Oak Wood Shield

He has the following skills.
Level 5 Fighting (Proficient)
Level 8 Axe (Expert)
Level 2 Biting (Adequate)
Level 4 Dodging (Skilled)
Level 6 Shield (Talented)

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

Yeah, your weapon skill is absolutely the biggest determiner of how well you'll do.

After luck, of course. :v:
From my testing just one level of weapon skill is enough to defeat a grandmaster of any other auxiliary skill most of the time, it really is a little op.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Crap, considering my weapon skill I am going to die so horribly next fight.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Twenty-One:siren:

Match Twenty-One, Trisk (Pladdicus) vs. Lin (Hooplah)

Trisk, human swordsman, carries a long bronze blade and wears copper high boots, copper greaves, a copper helm, and a copper shield. He also equips an iron mail shirt. Lin the soldier ant woman wears iron mail, iron leggings, a leather cap, and a copper full helm. She wields a pair of iron spears. This looks to be a fair match- let's see who takes it!

The match begins! Both warriors rush in. Lin is faster, and strikes first, but Trisk spins out of the way. Trisk stumbles forward after his dodge, and Lin strikes again, only to be denied by a parry. Trisk attempts a feeble counter, but misses.

Trisk charges at the ant woman, and though his sword fails to find purchase, he does succeed in knocking her to the ground. But Lin defends herself well from the floor, then rolls backward and immediately hops to her feet, jumping backward again a second later to avoid Trisk's follow-up attack!

Trisk recklessly follows after Lin, and the two engage in a series of quick feints and strikes, neither landing a blow. Their dance weaves back and forth across the ring, both warriors apparently more adept at defense than offense. Finally, and quite suddenly, Lin catches her opponent off-guard with a rapid jab toward his foot. The iron spearpoint readily penetrates copper, and Trisk falls to the ground, crippled and no longer able to stand. Even so, he immediately strikes at his opponent- but the ant woman parries with her second spear, even as the first remains embedded in the swordsman's foot!

A second strike pierces through Trisk's upper arm, bursting through his iron shirt and fracturing the bone beneath. Trisk rapidly weakens, drifting into unconsciousness in a matter of seconds. Two thrusts to the head later, and the human is finished. Lin, soldier ant woman, advances!

Combat Log

Update on scheduling: I basically have to finish this tournament before May 15, when Diablo 3 comes out. Expect to see increasingly regular/frantic updates as we get closer to that date! ;)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Update on scheduling: I basically have to finish this tournament before May 15, when Diablo 3 comes out. Expect to see increasingly regular/frantic updates as we get closer to that date! ;)

Set the grand champion up against a horned demon at the end of it.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

The iron spearpoint readily penetrates copper, and Trisk falls to the ground, crippled and no longer able to stand. Even so, he immediately strikes at his opponent- but the ant woman parries with her second spear, even as the first remains embedded in the swordsman's foot!
Antwoman Supremacy :c00lbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
:siren:Round Two, Match Twenty-two:siren:

Match Twenty-Two, Brock Phantom (Veryslightlymad) vs. Belbez Evon (Goatie)

Brock Phantom, troll, is armored with a heavy iron helm and iron breast plate. He wields a massive board as an oaken shield and a huge chunk of copper slag as a maul. A dwarf, Belbez Evon, is his opponent. He wears an iron helm, iron high boots, copper mail, and some other miscellaneous armor. In his hand he carries a hefty iron war hammer. Despite the heavy armor cladding on both sides of the ring, I imagine any solid blow is going to penetrate straight through to bone!

The match commences. Belbez Evon is quicker than his hulking opponent and strikes first, slamming his hammer into the troll's unarmored upper leg with little effect! Brock rushes into the dwarf, sending him tumbling but unhurt.

The massive troll stands over the dwarf, then slams down his behemoth maul! Somehow, Belbez is able to parry the strike and counter, fracturing the bone in Brock's leg! But the troll, heedless, continues his assault, forcing the dwarf to parry another strike. A third swing sends Belbez frantically scrambling out of the way! Still, the dwarf wisely stays on the ground, and Brock attacks once more. Belbez deftly parries, elegantly continuing the motion of his war hammer into a strike upon the troll's foot! Turquoise blood spouts from the wound as Brock stumbles from his feet.

Even as Brock slams to the ground, he windmills with his maul in Belbez's general direction. The clever dwarf rolls backwards to safety, and only now rises to his feet, ascendant. Ever confident, Belbez lets the troll come to him. Brock crawls forward, howling in rage. Only now does Belbez abandon his discipline and embrace his primal dwarven fury, pummeling his weakened foe with a vicious serious of strikes, punches, and kicks. Brock's large frame absorbs many of the blows, but eventually he is overcome, fades into unconsciousness, and is dispatched. Belbez Evon, victorious, is the contender to beat!

Combat Log

Why do most gladiators immediately rise to their feet only to be stun-locked again and again while this one chose to remain passive? Who knows! I'll file it along with the way they occasionally circle one another for up to several seconds. I swear, Toady's freakish code gives life to some extremely unusual behavior.

• Locked thread