Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Annoying Reveler posted:

Holy poo poo, the Your World shenanigans never cease to amaze me. I really want to believe this is an elaborate joke.

Bestow, The D, Zybourne Clock, and probably more I'm forgetting weren't jokes, so I have no trouble believing that this guy might be serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Amazon payments are far more popular than things like Dwolla or setting up your own credit card system. A lot of people are less apprehensive about paying for things online when it goes through a trusted source.

On top of that, 5% is only slightly higher than interchange fees these days anyway, so I'm sure they're willing to sacrifice $500 per $10,000 in order to not have to deal with all that mess.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Retro42 posted:

Turns out the other link I posted went 404 so here is the Grim Dawn Kickstarter link, it just went live today:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

If you are an ARPG fan it'll definitely be worth a buy. Titan Quest and Immortal Throne were probably some of the most underrated games in the genre and these are the guys that made them.

Wow, this looks great, but, with Torchlight and Diablo 3 coming out, I don't think I can convince myself to buy it on Kickstarter. It's starting to bleed me dry.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PoisonedV posted:

Wow, this looks great, but, with Torchlight and Diablo 3 coming out, I don't think I can convince myself to buy it on Kickstarter. It's starting to bleed me dry.

If you like this type of game I totally think you should get in on the kickstarter. Every dollar that gets into it now will lead to a better game. I really do believe that. Crate is a couple of cool dudes who seem pretty drat passionate about making a god drat cool game.

Drop by the Grim Dawn thread and discuss random stuff. :blush:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 18, 2012

Souai
Dec 16, 2007

PoisonedV posted:

Well at least with something like this it releasing in over a year is a plus I guess?

I can definitely understand it getting harder and harder to have spare money for stuff like this as more and more projects you like are listed though!

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Retro42 posted:

Turns out the other link I posted went 404 so here is the Grim Dawn Kickstarter link, it just went live today:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

If you are an ARPG fan it'll definitely be worth a buy. Titan Quest and Immortal Throne were probably some of the most underrated games in the genre and these are the guys that made them.

This looks awesome and I've pledged. It's great to see kickstarter projects with a lot to show potential pledgees.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
This probably isn't as nostalgic as most Kickstarters going on, but remember the classic puzzle game Chip's Challenge? Apparently the original creator made a new puzzle game of the sort for iOS, and now there's a Kickstarter to get it on PC/Mac as well. It's only $5k short of its goal, great for those that don't have an iPhone and you get the full game for just $5.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 18, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

SupSuper posted:

This probably isn't as nostalgic as most Kickstarters going on, but remember the classic puzzle game Chip's Challenge?

More Chip's Challenge-style gameplay, made by the same guy that did it the first time?! This sounds amazing.

I wish there were a more well-defined basic reward tier, though. $5 is "maybe you're preordering the game, maybe not" and the next tier is $25.

Edit: Actually I think I just read it wrong. I think $5 is "preorder the base game for sure and either the whole thing or at least $10 worth of DLC".

dirby fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 18, 2012

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

PoisonedV posted:

For what it's worth, I feel Titan Quest still stands as the best third-person ARPG ever made, and that includes Diablo 2 and Torchlight.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

buttopticor posted:

More Chip's Challenge-style gameplay, made by the same guy that did it the first time?! This sounds amazing.

I wish there were a more well-defined basic reward tier, though. $5 is "maybe you're preordering the game, maybe not" and the next tier is $25.

Edit: Actually I think I just read it wrong. I think $5 is "preorder the base game for sure and either the whole thing or at least $10 worth of DLC".

It's honestly not very good. I downloaded it on iOS a while back and it didn't have any of the same charm that Chip's Challenge did.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

For what it's worth, I feel Titan Quest still stands as the best third-person ARPG ever made, and that includes Diablo 2 and Torchlight.

Why is that? What elements did it have that surpassed the other two big guys?

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Agrias120 posted:

It's honestly not very good. I downloaded it on iOS a while back and it didn't have any of the same charm that Chip's Challenge did.

Oh. That's good to know. I was thinking of checking it out, but I didn't like the way he said 10$ of in game cash. I'd rather not pay for another buy to win game on a phone.

Drifter posted:

Why is that? What elements did it have that surpassed the other two big guys?

I have no idea. I played it for a while, and it was nice, but I never got into it. Personally I find Dungeon Siege 2 to be the best, but that's just nostalgia talking. Either way, it is a good game. Not top three quality in my opinion, but still pretty good. I'll take a look into Grim Dawn when I get home.

Sprite141 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 18, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I was briefly considering an ironic donation to the Class of Heroes 2 Kickstarter, but then I decided that is not the kind of person I am. So I made a serious donation to the Metamorphosis Alpha Kickstarter because I respect THE ANCIENT HISTORY OF THE GREAT SPORT OF ROLE-PLAYING!

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As much as I want a new Tex Murphy game, I don't want it like this. I want it to be, you know, actually good. I do not trust these guys for that. I wont give them any money, and I hope it doesn't get funded.

"These guys"? These guy are The Guys! :argh: OK... not everyone knows, so I'll try to clear things up.

Big Finish Games was started by Aaron Carter, the writer of Tex Murphy, and Chris Jones. Chris Jones is Tex Murphy. "Tex" wasn't just an actor-- he designed all the Tex games and created him too. He was also the CFO and co-founder of the company that made it, Access Software.

Jones started Access Software in 1983. Access made the Links golf games, adventure games, Tex, etc. In about 1999, Microsoft bought the company, it was re-named and later dissolved, and they lost the rights to Tex for a bit. A couple years ago they got it back. Meanwhile, Chris and Aaron founded Big Finish to start making their own games again.

Chris Jones is an industry pioneer, and is still in the gaming industry, working for Trugolf, started by other ex-Access employees. They make luxury indoor golf simulators and software for them. He can be trusted. He is the one and only Tex Murphy.

On top of that, the Tex character first appeared in an amateur shot-on-shiteo movie he made with friends, some of whom are in the games. That's why these games didn't suck like other FMV games: they were made by people who really loved making movies. If you're a Tex fan, you must see this:

(Part 1 Blocked for music copyright :( )
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

To help get the word out, you can make YouTube "Teximontials" and promos they can add to their playlists. Out of all the games on Kickstarter, none deserve funding more than Tex Murphy. It's not a retread or a reboot. It's unfinished business. And although "Tex" doesn't look that old, he isn't getting any younger.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 21, 2012

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am watching bits and pieces of that Plan 10 Tex Murphy thing, and am consistently struck by the fact that they seemed to have taken an excellently-filmed Call of Cthulhu film and had it overdubbed by a public casting call at a gaming convention or something. Is that what the Tex Murphy games are all about? Amazing visuals and compelling images overlaid with intentionally bad voice acting? Or am I missing some vital element of the joke?

(If the joke is "this is a bad movie," I get that--but why does it look so good for a bad amateur production?)

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

Quarex posted:

I am watching bits and pieces of that Plan 10 Tex Murphy thing, and am consistently struck by the fact that they seemed to have taken an excellently-filmed Call of Cthulhu film and had it overdubbed by a public casting call at a gaming convention or something. Is that what the Tex Murphy games are all about? Amazing visuals and compelling images overlaid with intentionally bad voice acting? Or am I missing some vital element of the joke?

(If the joke is "this is a bad movie," I get that--but why does it look so good for a bad amateur production?)

As far as I know, they were just a bunch of friends dicking around with cameras. The FMV Tex games had proper production values and a real director. One of Chris' friends, Doug Vandegrift is a professional artist, having worked on stuff like the Muppet Babies. He plays some roles in the games, such as Rook the pawnshop owner. That might explain the decent visuals in the proto-Tex movie.

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 21, 2012

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Ema Nymton posted:

TexTalk

So, I'm confused. They are gearing up for a Kickstarter or already have one? I would really like to see this happen as I loved the Tex games.

Also, I Don't think FMV games were a bad concept, just that it was rarely done right. I still consider those types of games my guiltiest pleasure.

If we got a Tex Murphy game, I think I'd only have two games left on my "I'd kill to have more" list.

No One Lives Forever and Quest for Glory

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
According to their web site, the Tex Murphy Kickstarter will begin on May 15th. In the meantime, they and fans are trying to get the word out.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Ema Nymton posted:

According to their web site, the Tex Murphy Kickstarter will begin on May 15th. In the meantime, they and fans are trying to get the word out.

This is great. I'm a sucker for more FMV, especially if it's good FMV.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I might consider supporting Tex Murphy just because I want oldschool designers to make comebacks all over the place. I said designers, Victor Ireland, not localizers :colbert:

Dragonrah posted:

No One Lives Forever
Oh yeah, there you go. I would be willing to cheerlead a No-One Lives Forever Kickstarter into oblivion, even if I do not have a quarter of the total life hours devoted to those two games as I do to Wasteland. But I imagine as a more recent title it would have a better chance of having other big fans around to go crazy over it. Like you!

Dragonrah posted:

and Quest for Glory
After I discovered my beloved Hero's Quest I had been renamed, 9-or-whatever-year-old me thought that my characters would be incompatible with the sequel as a result ... so I never played any others in the series. You would think I would have noticed at some point that I was an idiot.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

The last thing I'd ever do at this point is give an FMV game money. I'm all for old-school RPGs and such making a comeback but FMV games are one of those things where there was one or two good ones and there are far better ways to do things now.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

NINbuntu 64 posted:

The last thing I'd ever do at this point is give an FMV game money. I'm all for old-school RPGs and such making a comeback but FMV games are one of those things where there was one or two good ones and there are far better ways to do things now.

wish i could blank quote this because this is exactly how i feel.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

NINbuntu 64 posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

Sadly, I know most of them were pretty lovely, but back in those days, I loved the idea of my games looking like movies and not just some svga blob of color. Of course, what we got was a horribly low resolution and pixelated mess and arguably worse than the sprites and 3D models of the time. But for my part, I was a big fan of movies anyway and an interactive movie was just such an irresistible twist on a beloved favorite. I think the problem was everyone got excited about the capacity of the CD-ROM and shoe-horned the video in instead of creating something that was designed around and complement FMV.

While you can count the number of universally recognized good FMV games on one hand, it would be amazing to have one done now as a throwback to the “good old days” providing it was done properly. Tex Murphy though needs to continue as an FMV title. I don’t think people would accept it otherwise. I know I would be upset if they didn’t want to use FMV for it. Then again, I may be alone here.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dragonrah posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!

Sadly, I know most of them were pretty lovely, but back in those days, I loved the idea of my games looking like movies and not just some svga blob of color.

You have some serious rose-tinted goggles on right now because FMV games were the absolute worst for being SVGA blobs of colour.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Quarex posted:

After I discovered my beloved Hero's Quest I had been renamed, 9-or-whatever-year-old me thought that my characters would be incompatible with the sequel as a result ... so I never played any others in the series. You would think I would have noticed at some point that I was an idiot.

On the bright side, you have a lot of undiscovered awesomness to experiance if you ever get around to playing them. I've actually only played 1, 4, and 5 myself, but to this day I still consider QfG 4 as one of my all-time favorite games. If only it'd pop up on GOG.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

NINbuntu 64 posted:

You have some serious rose-tinted goggles on right now because FMV games were the absolute worst for being SVGA blobs of colour.

That is why I said at the time I loved the idea of FMV and I go on to say it is arguably worse than sprites/3D models.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ema Nymton posted:

This is all well and good, but their history since Tex Murphy has been, well, abysmal. I remain extremely skeptical of the revival.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This is all well and good, but their history since Tex Murphy has been, well, abysmal. I remain extremely skeptical of the revival.

Since, during, and before. Almost everything but Tex Murphy was a loving mess.

This is seriously one genre that doesn't need a revival.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Here are some cool FMV games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjMAG5IDnek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNpLXo55yfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RELHVbVbuiA

(Kill them with fire.)

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Okay there is something a little strange about certain kickstarters...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1840293109/castle-dracula?ref=category

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Like that is straight money laundering or alien visitors or something. That is not a game and those are not game developers. And they have 7k.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Gotta get my hands on that artbook yo.

Durp
Jan 6, 2008
I think I get it now.
If everyone only pledged the required amount per reward, it only adds up to around $980. I wonder who pledged the extra $6000.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Can we assume a lot of that is joke pledges? Please? It's the only way I can justify it.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

They probably seeded a bunch of the money themselves to make it more likely they'd cross the goal and get the actual amount they want.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
:v: I'm guessing it's a rich family member pledge accounting for most of it. That video is amazing though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

NINbuntu 64 posted:

FMV games are one of those things where there was one or two good ones
Yeah but those one or two good ones were literally the Tex Murphy games.

Without exaggeration or hyperbole, those were the best FMV games ever, capitalizing on all of the potential of the 'genre.'

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

the black husserl posted:

Okay there is something a little strange about certain kickstarters...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1840293109/castle-dracula?ref=category

Please someone tell me this is some kind of troll project and all those on the backers page are in on the joke?

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah but those one or two good ones were literally the Tex Murphy games.

Without exaggeration or hyperbole, those were the best FMV games ever, capitalizing on all of the potential of the 'genre.'
Absolutely. A lot of people think that. But it's funny-- the actual game was made of fully 3D environments which looked amazing for the time. The FMV was only for cutscenes and conversations. So by that logic, Final Fantasy VII is also an FMV game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milfay
Jun 9, 2006

Dragonrah posted:

While you can count the number of universally recognized good FMV games on one hand, it would be amazing to have one done now as a throwback to the “good old days” providing it was done properly.

I'm curious besides Tex Murphy and Roberta Williams games are there any other FMV games universally recognized as good?

Dragonrah posted:

If we got a Tex Murphy game, I think I'd only have two games left on my "I'd kill to have more" list.

No One Lives Forever and Quest for Glory

Is there a reason we never got a sequel for No One Lives Forever? It was a highly regarded franchise in a popular genre and nothings happened for ten years. It looks like the original developer is even still around. If someone did a kickstarter to test interest like the hardcore tactical shooter project I think it would attract a lot of attention.