Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

There's a key you can press to make the recovery menu appear. If you never press it, recovery times out and reboots automatically (as you describe). It should be the home key, so if you mash it a few times while booting recovery the menu should turn on and off. If not the home key, try others.

Guides I've seen for manually applying the 4.0.4 update suggest using ClockworkMod instead of the stock recovery, perhaps because nobody knows the trick for getting the menu to appear (I checked the source, it's supposed to be the home key, but who knows). The only problem with the CWM approach is that it requires unlocking the device, which we're trying to avoid right now.

Home... key?

The only hard buttons the G Nexus has are volume up. volume down, and power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Xachariah posted:

Home... key?

The only hard buttons the G Nexus has are volume up. volume down, and power.

Press the center of the volume key (so up and down are both depressed) and the power button simultaneously for a few seconds and then release.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Thanks, that works, but I don't have an option to update from SDcard, just /cache. Should I drop the .zip in /cache or is that a bad idea?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

In 4.0.x, you can no longer manually flash a signed OTA with the stock recovery.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think you can manually flash through the stock ICS recovery - on my Nexus S the option is there but it just fails when you select the zip.

I unlocked the phone and used Clockwork recovery to flash the 4.0.4 OTA - actually turned out really painless.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mark Larson posted:

If you have S-OFF, you probably also have a custom recovery. If not, CWM works fine. All you need after that is to update the firmware and flash ICS, all together because IIRC the new firmware isn't compatible with GB roms. Check out Virtuous Inquisition. It ran rock solid stable for me and I found the firmware I needed from there as well.

I muddled through the whole process and finally got Virtuous installed correctly. Everything's running fine so far. Only complaint is poor battery life, even after resetting battery stats. But I've been reinstalling apps, getting home screens/bookmarks/passwords reconfigured, etc, so I will give it a few days.

Thanks for help, sorry for being a big gay baby. XDA is both the best and worst that Android has to offer.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Xachariah posted:

Should I drop the .zip in /cache or is that a bad idea?
You probably can't without root.

LastInLine posted:

In 4.0.x, you can no longer manually flash a signed OTA with the stock recovery.
Bleh, OK. That's a lame feature to have removed, it's very helpful!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Xachariah posted:

Thanks, that works, but I don't have an option to update from SDcard, just /cache. Should I drop the .zip in /cache or is that a bad idea?
You should just get the phone serviced/replaced. It's obviously defective.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

LastInLine posted:

You should just get the phone serviced/replaced. It's obviously defective.

I'd like to, but it's only under manufacturer warranty. I don't want to be without a phone while some fuckhead sends mine off to some other fuckhead and it takes a week or more turnaround.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Xachariah posted:

I'd like to, but it's only under manufacturer warranty. I don't want to be without a phone while some fuckhead sends mine off to some other fuckhead and it takes a week or more turnaround.
More like three if it's anything like Samsung USA.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007
Likely a dumb question, but here goes:

I live in Korea and got a Google Nexus S through Korea Telecom KT Olleh (UMTS). I rooted it a year ago, but these should have been sold "unlocked to carriers. It's running 2.3.4 and baseband M200KRKC1

I'm going back to the US for a month. If I pop out the sim and put in one from Tmobile it should work right? I'm unsure which frequencies each system is using.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

politicorific posted:

Likely a dumb question, but here goes:

I live in Korea and got a Google Nexus S through Korea Telecom KT Olleh (UMTS). I rooted it a year ago, but these should have been sold "unlocked to carriers. It's running 2.3.4 and baseband M200KRKC1

I'm going back to the US for a month. If I pop out the sim and put in one from Tmobile it should work right? I'm unsure which frequencies each system is using.

Depends on the frequencies yours uses but I'd seriously doubt it will do 3G on US T-Mobile. T-Mobile uses an oddball frequency set here and I really don't think anyone uses the AWS bands overseas. Googling gives me nothing on the carrier but in the US T-Mobile uses 1700 & 2100 bands for 3G. If your phone supports those then yes, it will work.

I'm pretty sure the Korean model numbers are unique too, but on the off chance they aren't, can you tell the model number of the Nexus S you have? The one you'd need would be the i9020T or i9023T. No other version will work on US T-Mobile.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LastInLine posted:

Depends on the frequencies yours uses but I'd seriously doubt it will do 3G on US T-Mobile. T-Mobile uses an oddball frequency set here and I really don't think anyone uses the AWS bands overseas. Googling gives me nothing on the carrier but in the US T-Mobile uses 1700 & 2100 bands for 3G. If your phone supports those then yes, it will work.

I'm pretty sure the Korean model numbers are unique too, but on the off chance they aren't, can you tell the model number of the Nexus S you have? The one you'd need would be the i9020T or i9023T. No other version will work on US T-Mobile.
Don't say that it won't work, because it will. It would just be EDGE (2G).

iamxeph posted:

SHW-M200K is for KT(KoreaTelecom a.k.a. Olleh) SHW-M200S is for SKT(SK Telecom)

Both are i9020T

You'll be fine, if XDA is to be believed.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Don't say that it won't work, because it will. It would just be EDGE (2G).

You'll be fine, if XDA is to be believed.

2G will be just fine. I'm using less than 100mb/month

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Thanks for the help guys, I figured out what to do to unlock the bootloader and root the phone. Basically I had to turn on the USB Debugging on the phone, turn off UAC in windows 7, install the drivers on the pc using the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit, then I basically just unlocked the bootloader and rooted using the toolkit. I made sure to install CWR and turn off the stock auto-flash thing.

I'm gonna drop the 4.0.4 update in the root storage /SDcard folder and use the clockwork recovery thing I flashed to install it.

Cheers for all the help, I hope 4.0.4 sorts out my restarting issues.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

politicorific posted:

You may or may not be fine with EDGE, but just in case you haven't thought of this:

For many, the problem with EDGE has less to do with how much they download in total every month and more with web pages or whatever taking much longer to download. In other words, EDGE degrades the user experience.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007
I asked this earlier and got no response. I messed my Asus Transformer up a while back and was just able to fix it. I had installed a new version of CWM on it, flashed the regular rom on it. When I went to reroot it with the viper method it worked fine. However I reboot it into recovery and it appears to have somehow corrupted itself. It can boot up fine but going into recovery just gives the Android guy with the warning triangle. I've tried googling but I'm not sure what to search for.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

politicorific posted:

My issue was with LastInLine explicitly saying "no other nexus will work" which is blatantly untrue. The quote I posted says that the version you have is AWS, and therefore you will be more than fine because you will have 3G.

drevork posted:

I asked this earlier and got no response. I messed my Asus Transformer up a while back and was just able to fix it. I had installed a new version of CWM on it, flashed the regular rom on it. When I went to reroot it with the viper method it worked fine. However I reboot it into recovery and it appears to have somehow corrupted itself. It can boot up fine but going into recovery just gives the Android guy with the warning triangle. I've tried googling but I'm not sure what to search for.
Sounds like your recovery got nuked, try flashing CWM again. Try installing from ROM Manager first, which probably won't work. You might need to flash a kernel with CWM in it.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Drevoak posted:

There was a version of CWM that was making the rounds a while back which cause a recovery bootloop. The fix involved access to ADB or a terminal emulator, so I would suggest going back to stock and re-rooting it if you can.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

My issue was with LastInLine explicitly saying "no other nexus will work" which is blatantly untrue. The quote I posted says that the version you have is AWS, and therefore you will be more than fine because you will have 3G.
I was saying was that 3G wouldn't work if it wasn't the right frequencies, which it wouldn't if it didn't have AWS bands.

I wouldn't use a phone on EDGE only despite it being about as fast as EV-DO.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

LastInLine posted:

? The one you'd need would be the i9020T or i9023T. No other version will work on US T-Mobile.

LastInLine posted:

I was saying was that 3G wouldn't work if it wasn't the right frequencies, which it wouldn't if it didn't have AWS bands.
Sure about that? You never said anywhere you were talking about the 3G not working. You opened your post taking about 3G, but finished being very ambiguous. To a point it could have, and was misinterpreted.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Sure about that? You never said anywhere you were talking about the 3G not working. You opened your post taking about 3G, but finished being very ambiguous. To a point it could have, and was misinterpreted.

Because I assumed everyone knows that carrier unlocked GSM phones work on every GSM network. Obviously the poster to whom I was replying knew that as that's what he was asking about.

The only thing that was in question is whether UMTS would work, again something the poster knew because he specifically asked about UMTS.

So even if it was ambiguous to you it seemed obvious to me he knew GSM worked everywhere and was asking whether he'd get 3G data where he was going.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I am selling my Vibrant, it is rooted and running a custom ROM. Can I wipe on a custom ROM or do I have to restore it to stock?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

b0nes posted:

I am selling my Vibrant, it is rooted and running a custom ROM. Can I wipe on a custom ROM or do I have to restore it to stock?
Not sure what you're asking but you can wipe data/cache/Dalvik in recovery and have the custom ROM be virginal. Some recoveries also have a way to wipe /system which isn't necessary and can be dangerous (if, for instance, you accidentally reboot without flashing another ROM) but you could do that and then reapply the ROM you have if you want it to be "out of the box custom ROM'd". I know the Vibrant has a lot of flaws that you pretty much need to fix so I'm guessing you're looking for it to be wiped of your data but still have things like the lagfix/file system conversion in place which is what wiping data/cache/Dalvik in recovery would do.

Obviously you can always flash a stock ROM in the Samsung tools they offer if the buyer requests it to be perfectly stock which will wipe all the data on the device.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
I froze a bunch of services on my Razr Maxx yesterday and seem to have lost 4g connectivity. Is there something I could have frozen that would do that?

I'm on the stock ROM, didn't uninstall any of it just froze services I didn't want running or at least thought I didn't need. Everything else works just fine outside of 4G.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

nimper posted:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1363760

edit:

CM9 Nightlies for the Captivate have started.

http://get.cm/?device=captivatemtd

I just installed this the other day and it increased the performance significantly with regards to how well games perform.

One problem though with ICS is when I switch my volume mode to vibrate it doesn't mute my notification sounds which I have set to not linked in volume but I do have it set to link in mute states. Is this normal ICS behaviour or a problem with this CM9 build?

Smoking_Dragon
Dec 12, 2001

WOE UNTO THEE
Pillbug
I want to install ICS on my Verizon Droid Bionic but am totally new to rooting and modifying my phone in general. Is there a a good guide that explains the steps I need to take and the different versions of ICS? Is there a version best suited for the Bionic?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

StickFigs posted:

I just installed this the other day and it increased the performance significantly with regards to how well games perform.

One problem though with ICS is when I switch my volume mode to vibrate it doesn't mute my notification sounds which I have set to not linked in volume but I do have it set to link in mute states. Is this normal ICS behaviour or a problem with this CM9 build?

They're screwing with how the volumes are linked so this may not be the final behavior in the release version. I haven't really tried to mess with it yet. I usually just set everything to vibrate and don't bother with linking anything.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Not sure what you're asking but you can wipe data/cache/Dalvik in recovery and have the custom ROM be virginal. Some recoveries also have a way to wipe /system which isn't necessary and can be dangerous (if, for instance, you accidentally reboot without flashing another ROM) but you could do that and then reapply the ROM you have if you want it to be "out of the box custom ROM'd". I know the Vibrant has a lot of flaws that you pretty much need to fix so I'm guessing you're looking for it to be wiped of your data but still have things like the lagfix/file system conversion in place which is what wiping data/cache/Dalvik in recovery would do.

Obviously you can always flash a stock ROM in the Samsung tools they offer if the buyer requests it to be perfectly stock which will wipe all the data on the device.
I just wanted to get rid of all my personal data. I did a factory reset and it didn't do anything so I went into CWM and deleted cache and all the normal stuff. Then I still had to go into the gallery app and delete stuff manually, then take out the SD card and format it. Now the device is truly empty.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Wow, 4EXT recovery is a world of improvement over CWM. I used it to flash a ROM on my Sensation, along with an add-on, and the menu options (along with fluid touch input) are incredible. Koush better step up his game.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Civil posted:

Wow, 4EXT recovery is a world of improvement over CWM. I used it to flash a ROM on my Sensation, along with an add-on, and the menu options (along with fluid touch input) are incredible. Koush better step up his game.

Koush is working on touch-enabled versions of CWM but they aren't available for all the devices he supports yet.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

nimper posted:

Koush is working on touch-enabled versions of CWM but they aren't available for all the devices he supports yet.

I saw a while back that he had it in development, but the options in 4ext went past the touch element. I flashed a "super-lite" ROM, which left out a bunch of poo poo that probably shouldn't have been left out. When I went to flash the addon pack through recovery, I was presented with a checkbox menu that allowed me to select the addons that I wanted, and didn't have to add on anything I didn't want. Really nice stuff.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Smoking_Dragon posted:

I want to install ICS on my Verizon Droid Bionic but am totally new to rooting and modifying my phone in general. Is there a a good guide that explains the steps I need to take and the different versions of ICS? Is there a version best suited for the Bionic?

I'm also interested if someone more knowledgeable can comment. I have lots of experience with Samsungs, but nothing complicated with a locked bootloader and stuff.

I can be a little helpful, though. It sounds like none of the custom ICS Bionic roms are really ready for prime time. Gummy 1.x seems to be the consensus least buggy, but that still means no video recording, no hardware acceleration (meaning issues with some video playback including Netflix, among other things), and possibly data connection issues.

If anyone actually running ICS on a Bionic can comment, that'd be great, but it doesn't sound quite ready yet.

E: Or alternatively, if there's anyway to get Chrome working on Gingerbread, that would be good enough for me. I'm guessing not though.

Ciabatta fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 24, 2012

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009
Any thoughts on CM9 vs AOKP for GSM Galaxy Nexus? I'm running AOKP milestone 4 right now and it works great except my cell signal drops randomly where there should be signal, then bounces back again within a few minutes or after turning the radios off and on. Hoping a 4.0.4 build will fix this and trying to decide between sticking with AOKP or trying out CM9.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Any goon recommended ATT skyrocket ICS roms?

I'm rooted and would like to stay rooted.

Should I download the OTA update or find some aftermarket hotrod one?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Civil posted:

On my buddy's G2 we ended up using either this or TeamWin (but I think it was 4EXT) and yeah, it's much better laid out and presented compared to CWR. If I'm remembering right it had an option for an anime girl in the background that we passed on that kept me from trying it for the longest time.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is CM9 using 4.0.4? I've also been thinking about switching from AOKP to CM, but don't want to lose out on 4.0.4. This is on my VZW GNex

AOKP has become really...large. It's just a lot for what I need, and I think CM9 is a little slimmer and would run better.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

Is CM9 using 4.0.4?

Yes.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

On my buddy's G2 we ended up using either 4ext :snip:

Yeah it's a pretty good recovery. I've avoided touch interface in my recovery because most implementations strike me as somewhat buggy and if there is one place I really don't want bugs, it's in the recovery. I used 4ext RC 1 a while back and I really enjoyed how thorough their database was on how your partitions are set up.

That being said, I don't really flash a ton of roms anymore. G2 devving is stuck at an impasse of nobody actually talking to each other and fixing the issues with their ICS based roms. Thus, everyone keeps pooping out the same 2/3 working generic crap and calling it the best thing next to sliced bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I've just flashed Andromadus Audacity vB2 on my G2, and so far it seems fairly good. I was running cm7 for the longest time, and finally decided to make the jump. So far it seems pretty good for my uses, but today my sdcard went corrupt. Not sure wtf thats about, first time since cm6 though.. I hope its just a fluke, I haven't even bothered looking into it yet.