Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

a 16 year old girl posted:

Using a knock off version of the U.S. Airforce logo for a commercial project doesn't seem like such a brilliant idea either. But is this game going to have actual space physics like I-war had or is it going to stick with the way Wing Commander and X-wing handled flying in space?

And it doesn't surprise me that Tortured Hearts isn't really gaining that much support since pointing out that RPGs are full of clichés isn't really a new or interesting insight. A lot of gamers are probably already aware that RPGs are full of clichés and either still enjoy them because of those clichés or despite of them.

Maybe they have some brilliant concept for 'Discworld the Videogame' but the video pitch doesn't really tell me anything about the game, its setting, the characters or anything else that might be interesting besides the fact that they're going to make fun of RPG clichés and that they have uninteresting bullet points like the game has 200 areas, 500 NPCs, 100 quests etc...

gently caress. I didn't mean to reply at all to this thread. I will say, now that I'm forced to, that most of the kickstarter videos that spend time complaining for more than a sentence or two about specific states of industry or whatever just come off as being annoying. "ahhh bloo bloo bloo," is a good description of what they are saying. All the extended wasteland bits that had to do with Fargo getting rejected over and over again by publishers was kind of silly. Doublefine had a few sentences and then dropped it (from what I remember).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M3CH
Apr 23, 2012
Hey guys we were originally going to use Kickstarter for our game M3CH, but found out we couldn’t because we are UK based and you need to be a US citizen . So instead we set up on indiegogo.com. Similar thing just not as well known. Thought you guys might be interested:

http://www.indiegogo.com/m3ch
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1569530#post1569530

We are doing an open development diary, on Polycount at the moment where we are posting everything there concept art, art, tutorials. We are covering all the areas of game development from concept art to engine work. If you guy are interested I could keep you updated and post fresh art and tutorials on here as well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

M3CH
- Be part of the project - http://www.indiegogo.com/m3ch
- Join us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/groups/391011567596980/
- Follow us on Twitter - https://twitter.com/M3CH_Game

M3CH
Apr 23, 2012
Another concept

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Can I donate to a kickstarter to get you to stop breaking the loving tables?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
That's cool. Where are your first two games, though?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Hooray, people registering just to promote their Kickstarter.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
You guys should've probably left it in the oven for a bit, judging from the video. All I see is a MY FIRST UDK MOD that didn't really look like to have been worked on for more than a day or so by an experienced programmer.

Not trying to be a dick about it, but I have no idea who you guys are and the video doesn't really give me anything super compelling to go on.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

particle409 posted:

I'm not sure if this interests people, but I'm backing a smaller game that is supposedly influenced by Puzzle Quest. The developer released a raw demo, which was fairly reassuring in terms of gameplay. You can get it on their kickstarter page.

They're almost a third of the way there, at $3,584 out of $15,000, with about 3 weeks to go.

Match and Magic
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1217383590/match-and-magic?ref=live

These guys will get their asses sued off by Ubisoft over how close their name is to Might and Magic. Also the fact that other than the puzzle element everything else seems ripped off from Might and Magic. Now, I loving hate Ubisoft, but they would have a pretty solid case here.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Mr.48 posted:

These guys will get their asses sued off by Ubisoft over how close their name is to Might and Magic. Also the fact that other than the puzzle element everything else seems ripped off from Might and Magic. Now, I loving hate Ubisoft, but they would have a pretty solid case here.

What else besides the name? I agree that they'll probably be contacted by Ubisoft's lawyers, but a name change is easy enough.

Fresh Cool Fails
Apr 22, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Harlock posted:

The best part is not spending the negligible amount to register Fraps.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I sure loving hope that isn't indicative of the final framerate.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I think M3CH could be pretty neat given enough time but I'm not sure why in the video you guys found the need to say that you're planning on expanding the franchise into the strategy, RPG, and FPS genres. Why? Why bother even thinking about that when the first game barely even exists?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Yodzilla posted:

I think M3CH could be pretty neat given enough time but I'm not sure why in the video you guys found the need to say that you're planning on expanding the franchise into the strategy, RPG, and FPS genres. Why? Why bother even thinking about that when the first game barely even exists?

they probably have a marketing guy on the team, I know a couple local ones and expanding brands is all they think about.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

M3CH the lunchbox!

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
I just donated a thousand dollars. Welcome to the Something Awful forums.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Heh, he's used to Polycount where they resize your images for you.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Did someone mention Squad Wars yet? F2P Freespace-style MMO thingy, $250,000 goal, standing at $9,000 as of now from the creators of Jumpgate (whatever that is).

Terrible audio in the video, but at least no "hey, didn't you see there" or fake phone call.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Saoshyant posted:

Did someone mention Squad Wars yet? F2P Freespace-style MMO thingy, $250,000 goal, standing at $9,000 as of now from the creators of Jumpgate (whatever that is).

Terrible audio in the video, but at least no "hey, didn't you see there" or fake phone call.
Jumpgate Evolution is exactly what they're pitching here on Kickstarter and that game was in (still in?) development hell.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

mutata posted:

Heh, he's used to Polycount where they resize your images for you.

gently caress these forums will too if you don't have the poo brain.

Also that project looks real stupid and you say M3CH like a loving million times in your blurb. M3CH is a stupid name that does not sound as cool as your marketing friend said it was.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

They had an open beta a long while back, and it was sorta like an mo version of the X series.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

They had an open beta a long while back, and it was sorta like an mo version of the X series.

Yeah, in an alternate universe where I have any hope it will ever be released I'm super excited for Jumpgate. :smith:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there anything stopping someone from just taking the money from Kickstarter and not making a game/product out of it? Or making a lovely game in like a week that fulfills their promises and pocketing the majority of the money?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Xik posted:

Come on, it wasn't that bad. I actually thought it was pretty good for a fan film.
I certainly agree that it was a very well-done fan film. But I am with the people who are worried that if someone at ZeniMax sees "thanks for the hundreds of thousands of dollars to work on [an intellectual property we do not own!]" that very bad things could happen.

Drifter posted:

gently caress. I didn't mean to reply at all to this thread. I will say, now that I'm forced to, that most of the kickstarter videos that spend time complaining for more than a sentence or two about specific states of industry or whatever just come off as being annoying. "ahhh bloo bloo bloo," is a good description of what they are saying. All the extended wasteland bits that had to do with Fargo getting rejected over and over again by publishers was kind of silly. Doublefine had a few sentences and then dropped it (from what I remember).
Double Fine also had not spent the last decade of their company's existence trying and failing to get a single game made and failed every time. Double Fine WAS still making adventure-like games. InXile has never gotten anywhere with their interest in making Wasteland 2. That is a pretty huge difference in "reasons to complain about publishers." Double Fine started their project out like "hey, maybe we can make a cute little throwback :)," InXile started it with "THIS IS IT. Wasteland 2 could have existed as soon as 2003 if publishers did not exist. Please help me."

This is kind of like the person complaining about InXile using the phrase "By Gamers, For Gamers" as a catchphrase despite the fact that it was the company's motto.

Harlock posted:

The Forums Are Relevant :c00l:

Cbouncerrun posted:

Is there anything stopping someone from just taking the money from Kickstarter and not making a game/product out of it? Or making a lovely game in like a week that fulfills their promises and pocketing the majority of the money?
Sort of. More the first than the second. There are laws against fraud, and "we took the money ha ha lolz" would surely give you a case, whereas "look, we did not promise a GOOD game" would probably not.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cbouncerrun posted:

You could just make a kickstarter that said 'I'm going to pocket your money' as long as you remember to pay taxes.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Saoshyant posted:

Jumpgate was a full-control spaceflight MMO made in 2000 that had close to realistic physics. I tried it almost 5 years ago when they announced that they were releasing a sequel, Jumpgate Evolution, which at this point is vaporware. The game itself was pretty interesting if a bit grindy, and the remaining dev team would get on every now and again as the (non-player) alien faction and tear poo poo up, which was pretty fun.

It was also pretty entertaining to sit at one of the faction starting stations and watch the newbies crash into it as they try to land.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Boiled Water posted:

You could just make a kickstarter that said 'I'm going to pocket your money' as long as you remember to pay taxes.
When I first heard about Kickstarter, I thought to myself "this is it--this is my opportunity to do the thing where you take some new minute facet of technology and make a lot of money off of it and everyone hates you for not thinking of it first." I was going to do a Kickstarter for HELLO, MY NAME IS QUAREX, PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY SO I CAN SPEND IT ON THINGS I LIKE, THANKS and it was totally going to work due to Internet Irony. Then I found out there was an approval process :smith:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Boiled Water posted:

Actually, vaguely similar kickstarter proposals get denied by Kickstarter.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

Jumpgate Evolution is exactly what they're pitching here on Kickstarter and that game was in (still in?) development hell.

That probably explains the change of name.

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, in an alternate universe where I have any hope it will ever be released I'm super excited for Jumpgate. :smith:

Well, what's stopping you and the million of fools desperate people for more space sim to fund that Kickstarter of theirs? It's not even half of a Your World funding goal they got there.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Quarex posted:

I was going to do a Kickstarter for HELLO, MY NAME IS QUAREX, PLEASE GIVE ME MONEY SO I CAN SPEND IT ON THINGS I LIKE, THANKS and it was totally going to work due to Internet Irony. Then I found out there was an approval process :smith:
For that kind of thing you'll have to settle for Indiegogo. Like this wonderful project, give me $2,000 for a new computer.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rebel Blob posted:

For that kind of thing you'll have to settle for Indiegogo. Like this wonderful project, give me $2,000 for a new computer.

Ah, cute: "Flexible Funding campaign. This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed by Sun Jul 29 at 11:59PM PT."

Say what you want about Kickstarter, but at least it doesn't allow shoddy poo poo like this.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Well, what's stopping you and the million of fools desperate people for more space sim to fund that Kickstarter of theirs? It's not even half of a Your World funding goal they got there.

Given that JG:E was in development for something like ten years and delayed multiple times without ever seeing the light of day, I'm not convinced lack of funding is the problem.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rebel Blob posted:

Hahaha. Yeah, as Saoshyant said, that is pretty delightful.

The funny thing is, even I was not going to be able to just go through with a simple "take people's money for no reason!" plan and was thinking about like painting the names of all the donors on the walls of my house, or something. But ... I do not think "mentioning you in a YouTube video" is quite enough.

The only time I have seen "Flexible Funding" used by something that seems legitimate is this: http://www.indiegogo.com/graveyardmenace, though I only think it is legitimate because he is an old friend of mine and I have actually seen him finish movie projects.

(any "Late Show" connoisseurs might even recognize him from the fact that he got married at Taco Bell a few years back and made the Leno/Letterman/O'Brien mentioning rounds and was even on the Today Show, so clearly this is a man serious about desperately seeking fame at any cost)

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Ah, cute: "Flexible Funding campaign. This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed by Sun Jul 29 at 11:59PM PT."

Say what you want about Kickstarter, but at least it doesn't allow shoddy poo poo like this.

The motherboard he picked has the wrong socket for that processor. Some computer sales associate he is. :laugh:

Is there no approval process on that indie site? That's just flat out begging for money.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

randombattle posted:

Also that project looks real stupid and you say M3CH like a loving million times in your blurb. M3CH is a stupid name that does not sound as cool as your marketing friend said it was.

"What should we call our mech game?"
"How about 'Mech'?"
"Too boring. How about M3C4?"
"Br1114nt!"
- A couple of morons

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Saoshyant posted:

Terrible audio in the video...

That and why the extreme close up with sad music playing? I was expecting the guy to shed a tear or something. *Action* -> *ships blowing up* -> *:( sad face with sad music "they're shutting down mah server":(* all in the first minute.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

buttopticor posted:

Actually, vaguely similar kickstarter proposals get denied by Kickstarter.

I'm actually curious is there a way or site to see an archive of rejected Kickstarters?

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I looks kind of like a combination of Mount And Blade and King's Bounty, except it somehow doesn't look fun.
Something about the sincerity of Belorussian larpers makes me want to see this succeed so badly

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
"This Muhthreek entertainmental program has certainly piqued my interest, what with the edgy conversion of one of the letters into a digit. To whence do I sling my similarly edgy shekels?"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Valen posted:

The motherboard he picked has the wrong socket for that processor. Some computer sales associate he is. :laugh:

Is there no approval process on that indie site? That's just flat out begging for money.

You'd think the guy from Pete and Pete would be able to afford his own computer

edit: Oh dear lord he pronounces meme "mimi"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Quarex posted:

Double Fine also had not spent the last decade of their company's existence trying and failing to get a single game made and failed every time. Double Fine WAS still making adventure-like games. InXile has never gotten anywhere with their interest in making Wasteland 2. That is a pretty huge difference in "reasons to complain about publishers." Double Fine started their project out like "hey, maybe we can make a cute little throwback :)," InXile started it with "THIS IS IT. Wasteland 2 could have existed as soon as 2003 if publishers did not exist. Please help me."

People are complaining because like 90% of Fargo's pitch wasn't "look at what a cool game we want to make", it was "Publishers loving suck, gently caress publishers."

His entire early campaign was built off of negativity and nostalgia. The marked difference in pitch quality and general attitude between when he wasn't funded and when he was was staggering, and he still decided to spend his final, awkward ustream party thing to have another parting shot at game publishers.

Great message there, dude.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Shadley Puffin posted:

"This Muhthreek entertainmental program has certainly piqued my interest, what with the edgy conversion of one of the letters into a digit. To whence do I sling my similarly edgy shekels?"

I kept mentally wanting to pronounce it muh-threech.

Edit:

Occupation posted:

People are complaining because like 90% of Fargo's pitch wasn't "look at what a cool game we want to make", it was "Publishers loving suck, gently caress publishers."

His entire early campaign was built off of negativity and nostalgia. The marked difference in pitch quality and general attitude between when he wasn't funded and when he was was staggering, and he still decided to spend his final, awkward ustream party thing to have another parting shot at game publishers.

Great message there, dude.

Publishers suck. Tim Schafer spent the final minutes of his livestream party talking about how publishers suck and how great it was to have an option. Imagine you're an artist with a vision for something truly amazing that's never been done before, and the only way you can get it made is to bend over for some idiot in a suit who will give you all the money you need just as long as you agree to make your game into a clone of MW3? Would you want to talk about how great that person is?

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 24, 2012