Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Cakeequals posted:

Yeah, my understanding is that anything made for the PS3 works on PC because it's nothing really proprietary, unlike the xbox. I'm sure someone else could explain better than I could.

Actually the 360 Controllers work without any hassle on PC as long as you have Vista/7, because the drivers for it are already in the OS (to my understanding).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Black Mage Knight posted:

Actually the 360 Controllers work without any hassle on PC as long as you have Vista/7, because the drivers for it are already in the OS (to my understanding).

Could be, my assumption was based mostly on my Qanba stick and hearsay about PS3 fightpads, which I have never tried on PC personally. I know that the stick works on PC in PS3 mode, but I don't know how representative that is, because Qanbas have some kind of crazy bootleg dualmod board in them.

Cakeequals fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 20, 2012

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
MvC2 coming to iOS: http://iplaywinner.com/news/2012/4/20/marvel-vs-capcom-2-coming-to-ios-april-25th-new-screenshots.html

Yes, really.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Time to pick up Spiral.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I've been playing the Street Fighter games as they've been coming out casually, but about a year ago I decided to focus on super turbo as my main fighting game. The problem is I've really hit a wall.

I can beat everyone I can get my hands on, but none of my combos are that impressive, and I can't get renda canceling to work for the life of me. I suspect it's because I've only seen the more advanced play done with a stick and my native console is the Sega Saturn. I only play the black characters and I can do every part of Balrog's combo into super except getting the canceled medium to super. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Terry Bogus
Mar 22, 2004

DRIFT DEL MAR

Fauxtool posted:

I got into the vf5 pre-launch party, is anyone else going?

I also got an invite as well. I'll be there with a few other guys from VA.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Decided to quote this from FreeStepDodge because it just bugs me.

http://freestepdodge.com/threads/dead-or-alive-5-demo-videos.622/page-4#post-10536

quote:

Let's assume for a moment that grapplers are actually very viable in DOA 5, and being high-counter thrown is going to result in at least 50% from some of them, maybe closer to death with some of the environmental insanity going on. It could happen, right?

As the game is programmed currently, if Hayate uses the move in the correct direction he will get a backturned stun and all of that guaranteed damage that goes with it if you know what you're doing. Granted right now im terrible with him and can't combo worth a drat, but i imagine there's gota be around a 50% combo from backstun in open space.

So Hayate and Bass are fighting. Hayate rushes in with 66p or something and it's blocked. He free cancels and is at significant disadvantage. He can still use his sidestep move before any of Bass's really dangerous strikes come out though, and it can give him that 50%+ backturned combo if it lands.if Bass anticipates this, he can throw him back for 50%+ as well. If Hayate knows that Bass knows, he goes to layer 3 yomi and uses his most unsafe, highest launching normal strike for high-counter damage, and gets around the same damage at the end of the combo. if Bass goes to layer 4, he'll use something like 6f+k because he is at advantage and it will go into his air throw for similar results. Hayate could then reset this whole thing and go back to layer 1 using his sidestep move.

So basically, the existence of this move means that the entire match can be played in an entirely minimalistic manner with only the moves i listed above. Others could be used, yes, but once Hayate closes the distance after that first 66P, he can effectively set the terms of the match if he chooses to, and it will probably never leave the 4 moves being used that I described above.

Is there a written Yomi philosophy or is this guy pulling something something huge out of his rear end?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
David Sirlin wrote a bunch about yomi layers once and it was all pretty stupid and still is.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

uncleKitchener posted:

Decided to quote this from FreeStepDodge because it just bugs me.

http://freestepdodge.com/threads/dead-or-alive-5-demo-videos.622/page-4#post-10536

Is there a written Yomi philosophy or is this guy pulling something something huge out of his rear end?

Any decent competitive game needs to allow you to counter the opponent if you know what he will do. What happens, though, when your enemy knows that you know what he will do? He needs a way to counter you. He’s said to be on another level than you, or another “yomi layer.” You knew what he would do (yomi), but he knew that you knew (yomi layer 2). What happens when you know that he knows that you know what he will do (yomi layer 3)? You’ll need a way to counter his counter. And what happens when he knows that you know . . .

I’ll nip that in the bud: there need only be support up to yomi layer 3, as yomi layer 4 loops back around to layer 0. Let’s say I have a move (we’ll call it “m”) that’s really, really good. I want to do it all the time. (Here’s where the inequality of risk/reward comes in. If all my moves are equally good, this whole thing falls apart.) The “level 0” case here is discovering how good that move is and doing it all the time. Then, you will catch on and know that I’m likely to do that move a lot (yomi layer 1), so you’ll need a counter move (we’ll call it “c1”). You’ve stopped me from doing m. You’ve shut me down. I need a way to stop you from doing c1. I need a counter to your counter, or “c2.”

Now you don’t know what to expect from me anymore. I might do m or I might do c2. Interestingly, I probably want to do m, but I just do c2 to scare you into not doing c1 anymore. Then I can sneak in more m.

You don’t have adequate choices yet. I can alternate between m and c2, but all you have is c1. You need a counter to c2, which we’ll call c3. Now we each have two moves.

Me: m, c2 You: c1, c3.

Now I need a counter to c3. The tendency for game designers might be to create a c4 move, but it’s not necessary. The move m can serve as my c4. Basically, if you expect me to do my counter to your counter (rather than my original good move m), then I don’t need a counter for that; I can just do go ahead and do the original move—if the game is designed that way. Basically, supporting moves up to yomi layer 3 is the minimum set of counters needed to have a complete set of options, assuming yomi layer 4 wraps around back to layer 0.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

The best use for "Yomi" is to just yell it out as you do something incredibly random, or anything with a whole lot of super armor

(i yell it out a lot playing umvc3)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Logically, yomi layer 7 loops back around to yomi layer 4 which loops again back to yomi layer 0. It is, in effect, the Super Saiyan Level 2 of yomi.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The DOA community is full of delirious and insecure people.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

uncleKitchener posted:

The DOA community is full of delirious and insecure people.

There's a DOA community?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

There's a DOA community?

sort of, kind of

http://freestepdodge.com/

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The only good application of the word Yomi I've ever seen was this guy in Conneticut who entered tournament's as "Yomi $", obviously pronounced "Yo' me money".

Thank you David Sirlin for making that name actually funny.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So who wins in a fight, yomi 2 Goku or yomi 3 Sephiroth?

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

Jeffrey posted:

So who wins in a fight, yomi 2 Goku or yomi 3 Sephiroth?

Meta-Knight, duh.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

The best use of Yomi is playing the card game cause its actually pretty fun :shobon:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
The "yomi layer" concept is pretty sound and important even if Sirlin presents it in a douchey over-technical way (much like everything Sirlin does).

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
My yomi level is so high I predict jump ins six weeks in advance.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I do jumpin -> sweep repeatedly because I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that jumpin -> sweep is unsafe.

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
I have flattened the yomi layers, there is no concept of safe or unsafe or prediction or surprise anymore and I just hit whatever button whenever.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Eventually, with enough yomi layers, you reach the state of yomi croissant.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Someone mentioned earlier that you guys were still just only on yomi mod 4? I mean that's cute and all, don't let me stop you, but someday you'll advance to yomi mod 5 with the rest of the big boys.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Nerokerubina posted:

The "yomi layer" concept is pretty sound and important even if Sirlin presents it in a douchey over-technical way (much like everything Sirlin does).

So why do we hate Sirlin so much? All circle-jerking FG crowd bullshit aside, that is.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
He's that guy who does this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtdqJ9hHlcY

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I use yomi layers but only when it's pretty cold outside, otherwise I just wear a nice jacket.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

Dias posted:

I use yomi layers but only when it's pretty cold outside, otherwise I just wear a nice jacket.

What if nature knows you're going to bring a jacket so it's cold for a little bit before getting sweltering hot. The solution is yomi layer 9.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

oswald ownenstein posted:

So why do we hate Sirlin so much? All circle-jerking FG crowd bullshit aside, that is.

Common sense? Jesus

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

TGG posted:

What if nature knows you're going to bring a jacket so it's cold for a little bit before getting sweltering hot. The solution is yomi layer 9.

Walk around naked. This transcends every layers of yomi. Your yomi is so deep that it's like having no yomi

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Mr. Fun posted:

I have flattened the yomi layers, there is no concept of safe or unsafe or prediction or surprise anymore and I just hit whatever button whenever.

That's called an option select.

You gotta be careful about getting your yomi too high or you'll be like Tetsuo at the end of Akira.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Elephunk posted:

The best use for "Yomi" is to just yell it out as you do something incredibly random, or anything with a whole lot of super armor

(i yell it out a lot playing umvc3)

I do this a lot playing Hugo in SFxT, since about 90% of my Hugo game is random backbreaker.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

The Rokstar posted:

I do this a lot playing Hugo in SFxT, since about 90% of my Hugo game is random backbreaker.

That's actually yomi so deep you don't even know it. Like fighting game Inception.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Brosnan posted:

I do jumpin -> sweep repeatedly because I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that you know that I know that jumpin -> sweep is unsafe.

:psyboom:

Serious question: Is yomi a real word that means anything in some foreign language or did Sirlin make it up?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

:psyboom:

Serious question: Is yomi a real word that means anything in some foreign language or did Sirlin make it up?

It means "read" in Japanese. And yes, you can use it like the English equivalent (as in, to "read" people). The Japanese fgc uses the term too, but it's more "oh man that was such a sick read" and not "that was yomi layer 3."

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 24, 2012

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Dane Cook Torrent posted:

Common sense? Jesus

I thought he had some really cool articles about character balancing with HD remix.

SORRY IM NOT COOL GUYS

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

I thought he had some really cool articles about character balancing with HD remix.

SORRY IM NOT COOL GUYS

He nerfed Chun because he couldn't beat her.

SPD has a whiff animation.

nope nope nope

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

It means "read" in Japanese. And yes, you can use it like the English equivalent (as in, to "read" people). The Japanese fgc uses the term too, but it's more "oh man that was such a sick read" and not "that was yomi layer 3."

Gotcha. I guess I could have also trusted Google when this result came up.

Next question, will it make me sound like a douche when I use the word 'yomi' to describe a sick read?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Didn't they have a bunch of pros come in to weigh in about character balance or something and he basically went 'nah gently caress you all we're doing it my way'

I may be mistaken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Gotcha. I guess I could have also trusted Google when this result came up.

Next question, will it make me sound like a douche when I use the word 'yomi' to describe a sick read?

I guess. It doesn't have any special connotation in Japanese; you might as well just say "wow, that was an awesome read" in English. I mean, there's nothing stopping you from doing it, but then again there's nothing stopping you from calling corner pressure "gamenhashi" and wakeup pressure "okizeme" except it looks dumb in English.

• Locked thread