Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

YOURFRIEND posted:

We need to talk about your problem.

And your problem is you aren't kickstarting enough!

I'm sure I'll probably be able to make rent next month. Maybe.

Maybe you can find me a new project to support to change that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

evilmiera posted:

Maybe you can find me a new project to support to change that :)

Did you see Squad Wars yet? What about Jane Jensen's Moebius? And this Tortured Hearts by that really nice lady? Hey, and do you like Puzzle Quest? And did I tell you about Grim Dawn? And speaking of that, do you like Metroidvanias?

vvvv they all are.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 24, 2012

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Rebel Blob posted:

It sounds like Dead State will be starting their Kickstarter sometime next month. They hold regular Q&A sessions in their forums, in which the lead developer says they are getting the game in shape to create a trailer from it and getting ready for a big press push alongside the Kickstarter.

If you haven't heard of Dead State it is a zombie survival RPG being developed by Brian Mitsoda (who has worked for Black Isle, Troika, & Obsidian) and his wife Annie Mitsoda (who worked for Obsidian). He is probably best known for being lead writer and character designer for VtM: Bloodlines. There is a large FAQ which gives a good idea of what they are going for. Basically after a zombie apocalypse the PC is a leader of a "shelter" which they manage, from which they have to explore, scavenge, recruit and manage allies, and deal with other survivor groups. Mitsoda has said that he intends it to be a serious examination of people in the midst of a world-changing disaster.

Wasn't Brian Mitsoda fired from Obsidian because of screwing up Alpha Protocol?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Support Grim Dawn, because that's actually legit.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Rebel Blob posted:

To add to the ranks of quality kickstarters, how about Left to Rot New RPG & FPS GENRE!!!! Hey, that's what the title is. :colbert:

Make sure to watch the video to see the game in action. If you read the description you will notice that it doesn't show any of the features talked about. Reassuringly the first thing mentioned when talking about what they need funding for is attending E3. As to plot, I couldn't put it better than the man does himself.

the game running at 10fps is what really makes this kickstarter a true gem.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

r1ngwthszzors posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Support Grim Dawn, because that's actually legit.

If Obsidian fired people for screwing up games, there wouldn't be anyone in Obsidian.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

r1ngwthszzors posted:

I haven't heard anything along those lines before. I've seen speculation that there was a creative conflict between Mitsoda and Avellone during Alpha Protocol's development or that Mitsoda didn't agree with the direction Obsidian was taking Alpha Protocol, but with no actual information to support either case. I've even heard that he was tired of Obsidian's employment practices, where they shed people constantly. The known facts are scanty, with most of the specifics being kept private by everyone involved, Mitsoda left Obsidian after being creative lead early in Alpha Protocol's development and the game was changed to the point where Mitsoda said he had basically nothing the final version outside of the dialogue system.

There is also this blog post by Avellone on the narrative process of Alpha Protocol which has Mitsoda gone from the picture early in development.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

I haven't heard anything along those lines before. I've seen speculation that there was a creative conflict between Mitsoda and Avellone during Alpha Protocol's development or that Mitsoda didn't agree with the direction Obsidian was taking Alpha Protocol, but with no actual information to support either case. I've even heard that he was tired of Obsidian's employment practices, where they shed people constantly. The known facts are scanty, with most of the specifics being kept private by everyone involved, Mitsoda left Obsidian after being creative lead early in Alpha Protocol's development and the game was changed to the point where Mitsoda said he had basically nothing the final version outside of the dialogue system.

There is also this blog post by Avellone on the narrative process of Alpha Protocol which has Mitsoda gone from the picture early in development.

Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't really sure what the details were, and it seemed like it might be the kind of red flag a Kickstarter backer benefit from knowing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

M3CH posted:

Hey guys we were originally going to use Kickstarter for our game M3CH, but found out we couldn’t because we are UK based and you need to be a US citizen . So instead we set up on indiegogo.com. Similar thing just not as well known. Thought you guys might be interested:

http://www.indiegogo.com/m3ch
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1569530#post1569530

We are doing an open development diary, on Polycount at the moment where we are posting everything there concept art, art, tutorials. We are covering all the areas of game development from concept art to engine work. If you guy are interested I could keep you updated and post fresh art and tutorials on here as well.

Wow! Your game sure looks cool! I can't wait to play!

The problem with posting about it in this thread though is that very few people actually read this section of the forums. You might have better luck if you go to our General Discussion forum. Thousands of people read that. Just go start a new thread there with information.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Did you see Squad Wars yet? What about Jane Jensen's Moebius? And this Tortured Hearts by that really nice lady? Hey, and do you like Puzzle Quest? And did I tell you about Grim Dawn? And speaking of that, do you like Metroidvanias?

Wait a minute. That last one, in the rewards section, says it gives out preorders as a reward. Is that their roundabout way of saying you get a key for the game at that price or are they just a bunch of asses?

Edit: I really need to get an indiegogo account. But then intense laziness sets in and I don't.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

You could always pledge to Tortured Hearts safe in the knowledge that it will fail and you won't need to send them any money. You get to feel good if Kickstarting floats your boat and not actually risk any money.

Then you get to feel like a jerk when the lady behind it sends you a really sweet email thanking you. :smith:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
A lot of Kickstarters are giving out keys for donating X dollars. That's not really a huge surprise and the Valdis guy has one released game so far so he's legit.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

A lot of Kickstarters are giving out keys for donating X dollars. That's not really a huge surprise and the Valdis guy has one released game so far so he's legit.

It sounded like they were just offering the chance to order the game, not the actual order(key) itself. That's what got me confused.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rebel Blob posted:

The dialogue system in Alpha Protocol kicked rear end, incidentally.

evilmiera posted:

It sounded like they were just offering the chance to order the game, not the actual order(key) itself. That's what got me confused.

It says "Sweet! You just preordered the PC Game!" which seems pretty clear to me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm not sure how much was the system over how much was the writing. A good system definitely helps, but...

But yes, the overall dialog and system surrounding it was the best thing about AP.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Drifter posted:

I'm not sure how much was the system over how much was the writing. A good system definitely helps, but...

But yes, the overall dialog and system surrounding it was the best thing about AP.

Well, yes, if the writing couldn't keep up the system on its own would have been pointless.

That said, the system - specifically, the timed responses and construction of each conversation as a strict DAG - successfully solves two problems that have plagued dialog-driven RPGs for ages; the "help I'm trapped in a dialogue loop" issue that's been around since forever, and the more recent "characters must stand staring blankly into space between each line" problem endemic to games with fully animated dialogue. It won't save bad writing but it can make good writing flow infinitely better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh no, Absolutely. This was easily one of the best dialog systems that exist. As you said, the timing thing essentially made the dialog a part of the gameplay. It was an actually enjoyable way to present quicktime events. The flow was great.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Nekro seems to be pretty neat.

Nekro posted:

Hailing from the era of great classics such as Myth: The Fallen Lords, Giants: Citizen Kabuto, Dungeon Keeper and more, we are creating a game rooted deep in PC gaming's history, but with all the flourishes you've come to expect from a modern experience.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/343838885/nekro

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Is there a thread for this game?

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 24, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I've upped my pledge for Nekro, I'd like to see them succeed but they only have 9 days left, and have another $44k to go.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drifter posted:

The only good thing, really.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

LumberingTroll posted:

I've upped my pledge for Nekro, I'd like to see them succeed but they only have 9 days left, and have another $44k to go.

Oh, gently caress me. That looks pretty cool, but my wallet! :arghfist::saddowns:

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Is there a thread for this game?

No. I don't think anyone even mentioned it anywhere in the forums until now.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Something interesting to me is that the Pebble watch Kickstarter that has blown past six million bucks still has like half the number of backers that say, Double Fine Adventure does. ~40,000 more people want to play the DFA right now then want a new watch.

It makes me wonder if, as Kickstarter (hopefully) gains popularity, we'll see the average price of the lowest tier start creeping up closer to the pre-order price of a new game. Obviously as you go higher up less people will buy in, but I'm curious what the equilibrium point is. I do think we'll see the number of really high end backers drop over time.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

evilmiera posted:

Wait a minute. That last one, in the rewards section, says it gives out preorders as a reward. Is that their roundabout way of saying you get a key for the game at that price or are they just a bunch of asses?

Edit: I really need to get an indiegogo account. But then intense laziness sets in and I don't.
It's just a roundabout way. One of the problems with Kickstarter is that reward text can't be edited (probably to avoid bait-and-switches), so if it didn't turn out clear, they have to hope people read the news/FAQ.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

LumberingTroll posted:

It looks contrived and generic to me, except it looks like it was a rip off of like 10 years ago.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

Something interesting to me is that the Pebble watch Kickstarter that has blown past six million bucks still has like half the number of backers that say, Double Fine Adventure does. ~40,000 more people want to play the DFA right now then want a new watch.

It makes me wonder if, as Kickstarter (hopefully) gains popularity, we'll see the average price of the lowest tier start creeping up closer to the pre-order price of a new game. Obviously as you go higher up less people will buy in, but I'm curious what the equilibrium point is. I do think we'll see the number of really high end backers drop over time.

Probably not, on the price creeping up. A lot more people have 15 dollars for a game than have 150 dollars for a new watch, no matter how great that watch may be, which answers why the watch has half the backers. If the buy in price for games was a lot higher, the game would be a lot less likely to get funded.

There's a sort of price curve appearing. Cheap pre-release funding purchase, full price release purchase, then cheap later sales prices. Get in anywhere along the curve. If you want the best price you either take a risk on pre-funding, or take a hit by waiting for the Steam fire sale prices a year or two down the road. Seems fair to me.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Fintilgin posted:

I thought $15 is the pre-order price of most of these games. The quality of the final product would have to be pretty high if they want to charge more (for reference $15 or 1200 points is what XBLA charges for their most high production games)

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Fintilgin posted:

Counterpoint: I disagree! (Actually I mostly agree)

The low-end price point is an interesting argument, really. It would be interesting to see whether setting the lowest price at $20 would have resulted in retaining at least the requisite 75% of people who pledged $15. Or whether dropping it to $10 would have gotten them even more money.

If the game ends up being great, then they probably would have benefited from having the lowest price be $25--because then the people who missed their chance to pre-order are likely to buy it anyway. If the game ends up being lame, then they were wise to get as much money up front as they could.

But for the high end, crazy people who want to throw money at something are crazy people who want to throw money at something. I once said, only half-joking, that I never understood what people did with their extra money, because there is only so much 1980s CRPG paraphernalia out there to own. I was thinking specifically of how long I had spent looking for Wasteland and Ultima merchandise over the years, before learning that it (basically) did not exist, and I had to make it myself. Suddenly, Wasteland 2 happens, and if I had $10,000 to spend, I would have spent it. No question. Not even a moment's hesitation. Supply and demand only works for anyone in particular insofar as there are things one wants to buy--other than food and the occasional new game or book, or a plane ticket, I have found precious little to interest my consumer spending as an adult. Then suddenly, there is salvation (/damnation)! Kickstarter, and its inexplicable array of nostalgia-themed merchandise!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
/\/\/\ That's true I guess, for almost any project I suppose there are at least a few people who would be willing to spend crazy amounts to support it. You only need a couple of people out of millions of gamers, you just have to hook them up with the right project.

BobTheJanitor posted:

There's a sort of price curve appearing. Cheap pre-release funding purchase, full price release purchase, then cheap later sales prices. Get in anywhere along the curve. If you want the best price you either take a risk on pre-funding, or take a hit by waiting for the Steam fire sale prices a year or two down the road. Seems fair to me.

I also wonder if, for this tier of games, the 'full price' window will keep getting smaller and smaller until it vanishes and the price point becomes 15-20$,

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Double Fine posted another DFA update. This time from their artist, he discusses the steps involved in developing an art style for the game and shares some concept art. Not art for the actual characters or settings, but art that's just there to represent a general tone and look.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6738/

edit: There was another update last week that I missed. It's about programming stuff. http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6688/

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
^^ I really dont like that they made it 'backer only' and this is something we will not be doing.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

It looks contrived and generic to me, except it looks like it was a rip off of like 10 years ago.

by definition, all games are contrived, using this as a detractor is a bit silly. Its cool you don't like it though, different strokes and all. I appreciate what it takes to make a game (not saying you don't), and though you may thing it looks generic or a clone of another game, they have some pretty interesting unique features.

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 25, 2012

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

LumberingTroll posted:

by definition, all games are contrived, using this as a detractor is a bit silly.

Using this as a defense is much sillier since by definition all media since the dawn of man is contrived and derivative. Therefore I can't say something like, "Battleship looks like a generic rip off of Transformers" because by your logic it has unique features (Battleships and Liam Neeson) so it's not a clone.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

emoticon posted:

Using this as a defense is much sillier since by definition all media since the dawn of man is contrived and derivative. Therefore I can't say something like, "Battleship looks like a generic rip off of Transformers" because by your logic it has unique features (Battleships and Liam Neeson) so it's not a clone.

I suppose if you would like to argue semantics. I was not defending anything, I accept that he doesn't have the same interest. My point was saying that a game is not good because it looks like it was deliberately created is stupid, of course it was deliberately created, and everything is a 'generic ripoff' of everything else.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

emoticon posted:

Actually, Battleship's unique feature is the director Peter Berg and the writers actually being clever with the thematic elements of the board game.

Which disappoints me the the upcoming video game tie-in is an FPS instead of a ship-based strategy game (or at least something similar to Battlestations: Midway/Pacific) that incorporates some of the more interesting aspect of the film. I know FPSes are popular and the game has a military theme similar to Modern Warfare, but how would it work as an FPS when all the alien soldiers and combat engineers in the movie are armed with melee weapons only while also wearing bulletproof armor? Will all combat be you sniping the aliens' helmet visor or forcing their helmets off?

Maybe we can make a generic unlicensed knockoff and start a Kickstarter for one? I propose the name "Warboat".

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

LumberingTroll posted:

I suppose if you would like to argue semantics. I was not defending anything, I accept that he doesn't have the same interest. My point was saying that a game is not good because it looks like it was deliberately created is stupid, of course it was deliberately created, and everything is a 'generic ripoff' of everything else.

You're the one arguing semantics dude, and in fact arguing against made up phrases instead of addressing the intent of his post (I don't think his criticism of the game was that it was "deliberately created")

(I don't even necessarily agree with him. I just think "everything is derivative" is a massive cop-out along the lines of "it's all subjective." No, some things are more derivative than others. The Great Giana Sisters is derivative. Now, you can argue it isn't because all platformers come from blah blah blah, but that would be arguing semantics, which is bullshit.)

The MSJ posted:

Maybe we can make a generic unlicensed knockoff and start a Kickstarter for one? I propose the name "Warboat".

The kickstarter should be an FPS but you're a boat instead of a human. First person boater.

emoticon fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 25, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

^^^ :argh: stop posting what I post before me emoticon you loving bastard :argh: :argh:

LumberingTroll posted:

I suppose if you would like to argue semantics.

You started this whole thing by arguing semantics. Like literally, you pulled out the "well, by definition blah blah blah, so you're wrong" line as your first response, which is a line used exclusively by people arguing semantics on the internet. People arguing semantics on the internet also: list off what logical fallacies a person used in lieu of a cogent arguement, intentionally harp on minor grammar problems/typos, and use the phrase "I suppose if you're arguing semantics..." patronizingly.

Also it's quite a stretch to interpret the word 'generic' to mean "deliberately created". One could even say that's an outright misinterpretation of the word.

Anyways I think Nekro looks pretty cool and I enjoy the art style, and I don't think it looks generic.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

LumberingTroll posted:

I really dont like that they made it 'backer only' and this is something we will not be doing.

Well, keep in mind that this is part of what the DF kickstarter was for. Not just kickstarting the game, but also providing a nuts-and-bolts look at its creation, with a full documentary and as much transparency as possible during the process.

Something like Wasteland 2, by contrast, was a kickstarter for the game and its physical backer rewards. I neither expect nor demand that inXile keep me apprised of everything down to the last bowel movement. Apples, oranges, tangerines.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

emoticon posted:

stuffs..

you are totally right, I am wrong. we can continue the conversation on kickstarter now.

Occupation posted:

Also it's quite a stretch to interpret the word 'generic' to mean "deliberately created". One could even say that's an outright misinterpretation of the word.

It was not in reference to generic, he said contrived. the definition of which "Deliberately created rather than arising naturally or spontaneously" but it really doesn't matter, I'm going to drop it now.

Occupation posted:

Anyways I think Nekro looks pretty cool and I enjoy the art style, and I don't think it looks generic.

I agree, and as mentioned before, I hope they make their goal. The pitch makes it sound almost like a reverse majesty. where you are the evil one causing problems in the town. I do kinda wish they had a bit more facts on the game play though, at first I thought it was a Diablo-like ARPG, but the more I looked into it, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
While I'd really like more games where you play as the bad guy and take over the world in a Code Geass fashion, I really don't like the look, feel or appeal of Nekro and won't be backing it.

I don't even really like Diablo, so that's probably a big deal why.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

So are some gaming projects on indiegogo straight copies of kickstarters that some random person just stole to scam people out of money? Or are those the same studios looking for funds on both sites at the same time?

Like Yogventures for example.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Palpek posted:

So are some gaming projects on indiegogo straight copies of kickstarters that some random person just stole to scam people out of money? Or are those the same studios looking for funds on both sites at the same time?

Like Yogventures for example.

"Damien Taylor" lists himself as a "Donator" for the project, so I think he's trying to kickstart a $10k kickstarter donation for himself like a super shady rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Sigma-X posted:

"Damien Taylor" lists himself as a "Donator" for the project, so I think he's trying to kickstart a $10k kickstarter donation for himself like a super shady rear end in a top hat.

Well such gumption should be supported! I propose we all kick in a few hundred dollars! FOR DAMIEN!