Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Groghammer posted:

Managed to grab a PS3 stick. They're running out really quickly!

Got lucky while on the wait list and grabbed a 360 one. I pretty much did blink and lose out on getting one when the sale first started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

AXE COP posted:

"Don't start a chain with a move you've used before" seems pretty simple to me.

Well, I hate to be that guy but maybe to a new person who doesn't know what a chain is the idea of somebody getting hit for less stun each times makes more sense?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

inthesto posted:

The more detailed answer to this is that for every good idea or opinion he has on game design, he has an equally bad one - most recent example: He thinks that hitstun and gravity scaling are more intuitive infinite protection systems than the one found in Skullgirls :psyduck:.
Something being intuitive, by definition, is a personal and subjective thing. I can totally see how hitstun scaling is more intuitive because combo creation is basically "these things work at the start of the combo, these things work towards the middle, and these things only work at the end". Whereas in Skullgirls you have to be much more cognizant and reason with "wait, did I start a string with this move earlier when I was confirming from an awkward situation or recovering from mistiming something?"

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Okay, so what defines the "start," "middle," or "end" of a HSD combo? What works? What makes the combo shorter? What are the rules? How long is the maximum combo?

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Brett824 posted:

Something being intuitive, by definition, is a personal and subjective thing. I can totally see how hitstun scaling is more intuitive because combo creation is basically "these things work at the start of the combo, these things work towards the middle, and these things only work at the end". Whereas in Skullgirls you have to be much more cognizant and reason with "wait, did I start a string with this move earlier when I was confirming from an awkward situation or recovering from mistiming something?"
I've had the same issue in games with gravity scaling, though. Like I'll get a weird hit confirm into a combo that I don't usually do, and then towards the middle or end or whatever I won't be sure if I've got enough gravity left in the gravity tanks to do the move I want to do.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Broken Loose posted:

Okay, so what defines the "start," "middle," or "end" of a HSD combo? What works? What makes the combo shorter? What are the rules? How long is the maximum combo?

That's what makes it intuitive rather than based on logic and reasoning? As time has gone on in MvC3, people have gotten much better internal understandings of how the system works and top players can now salvage combos that work within hitstun scaling from hit confirm situations they might have never seen before. And, when they fail to do this they usually can tell what caused the hitstun decay to take place more rapidly than usual.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 25, 2012

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Skullgirls combos are awesome because you can right them down on a piece of paper to see if they work.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Brett824 posted:

That's what makes it intuitive rather than based on logic and reasoning?

Intuitive means "Easy to use or understand." Therefore, for a system to be "more intuitive" than another system that operates on a single, clearly defined rule (with 2 clearly defined exceptions), it would most certainly have to have logic or reasoning behind it!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Intuitive means "Easy to use or understand." Therefore, for a system to be "more intuitive" than another system that operates on a single, clearly defined rule (with 2 clearly defined exceptions), it would most certainly have to have logic or reasoning behind it!

Interpreting intuitive as simply "Easy to use or understand", especially in this case, is a fairly narrow interpretation of what the word means or has ever meant.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
MvC2 for iOS systems is out now for $2.99 (until May 6th, when it goes $4.99) :toot:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

kaujot posted:

MvC2 for iOS systems is out now for $2.99 (until May 6th, when it goes $4.99) :toot:
It's gonna be unplayable but damnit I'm buying it anyway.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009

Brett824 posted:

That's what makes it intuitive rather than based on logic and reasoning? As time has gone on in MvC3, people have gotten much better internal understandings of how the system works and top players can now salvage combos that work within hitstun scaling from hit confirm situations they might have never seen before. And, when they fail to do this they usually can tell what caused the hitstun decay to take place more rapidly than usual.

When you drop that weird confirm combo in Marvel though you have to try and guess if you hosed up the excution or it simply doesn't work and they flip out. Some moves get hit harder by HSD than others and there's no real consistent logic behind it. You could try messing around with tweaking a combo for a long time in training mode and never be quite sure if it works and you need to up your execution or it doesn't and you need to go back to the drawing board. In IPS, once you learn the general properties of moves and character weights you can make up fully functioning combos before even stepping into training mode. I can't see how attacks having inconsistent properties is more intuitive a system than one where every attack always works the same way.

This is not to say every game should have IPS, or that its the best combo system even, but knowing what works at what doesn't is more intuitive than just abotu any other game of its kind.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
In one system, your moves have different properties throughout the combo to the point where something that works near the beginning may not work near the middle or at the end. In some cases of the system, this can change dramatically based on the move you start the combo with! There are no hard and fast rules and the only way you'd be able to figure out a combo is to actually go through and try it. And if it doesn't work, it's difficult to figure out exactly what might make it work (again, because of the lack of hard rules on it).

In the other, it's completely consistent to the point where you can read a combo on paper and be able to know whether it works or not (for lack of a better word) intuitively.

I don't really see where your argument lies - other than that perhaps you don't actually know what 'intuitive' means, Brett. Saying it's opposed to 'logic and reasoning' certainly implies it at least.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
All I know is it's nice to be able to practice the end of a combo without having to do the whole combo every time.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Question Mark Mound posted:

It's gonna be unplayable but damnit I'm buying it anyway.

You'll still find combo videos online of some Chinese player who can manage to do all-character combos.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Gravity scaling is more intuitive (in that it's really obvious what's happening when it stops your combo) but the IPS system is more human-readable; instead of relying on hidden numbers to tell when a combo is no longer valid it's based on very concrete, clearly defined cut-off points.

The former is better if you want a game where you can figure out the basics without studying (who cares), the latter is better if you want a game where studying it and building combos is easier and more rewarding (actually important.)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The former is better if you want a game where you can figure out the basics without studying (who cares), the latter is better if you want a game where studying it and building combos is easier and more rewarding (actually important.)

The intuitiveness of a game's combo system has a lot more to it than just how the game specifically handles preventing the possibility of infinites. I don't know what you are trying to call "basics" here, but you can have games without ANY specific IPS that have brutally hard basic combos, and you can have games with really complicated and confusing IPSs that have extremely easy basic combos.

And for that matter, how is an easier system more "rewarding"? How do you even define what is rewarding to a player? I find the Skullgirls system far less rewarding than a system like GG's. I'm not going to claim a super complicated system like GG is what everyone likes, but you can't just rigidly define something as being "more rewarding" because it's easier and more intuitive.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The intuitiveness of a game's combo system has a lot more to it than just how the game specifically handles preventing the possibility of infinites. I don't know what you are trying to call "basics" here, but you can have games without ANY specific IPS that have brutally hard basic combos, and you can have games with really complicated and confusing IPSs that have extremely easy basic combos.

I'm not talking about execution at all, just the process of figuring out what combos are possible.

If you screw around in training mode in GG you can tell in a matter of minutes that gravity scaling exists and roughly how it works without ever having heard of it before, just by watching what happens if you launch the dummy over and over. An IPS system like Skullgirls' would seem totally random and confusing unless it were explained to you (or if you're some kind of pattern recognition wunderkind, I guess.)

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

And for that matter, how is an easier system more "rewarding"? How do you even define what is rewarding to a player? I find the Skullgirls system far less rewarding than a system like GG's. I'm not going to claim a super complicated system like GG is what everyone likes, but you can't just rigidly define something as being "more rewarding" because it's easier and more intuitive.

If you have a combo system where you can predict what will happen with less trial and error, it takes less time to develop and discover new combos. Less time invested for more knowledge = more rewarding. (At least until optimized combos are discovered, but that's something else.)

You seem to think that I'm talking about the entire system, and I'm sorry if I gave that impression. I'm just responding to Sirlin's idea that "gravity scaling is more intuitive than IPS" by saying that I agree, but it doesn't matter. I'm talking about those mechanics without the context of a complete game.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 25, 2012

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

interrodactyl posted:

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

KoF 2k2 is like KoF 98 and KoF 13 except not. Hope that helps.

Signup: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/mqk5ae8tx3

Point Totals: http://goo.gl/dCEn3

EDIT: THIS IS IMPORTANT. :siren: WE ARE REPLACING WEEK 12 - THIRD STRIKE WITH BREAKER'S REVENGE :siren:

THE NEW GAME FOR WEEK 12 IS BREAKER'S REVENGE

this is tonight you fuckers

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In fewer words: gravity scaling and IPS are both designed as soft limits on the length of combos. Gravity scaling is a simpler abstract idea ("the more you hit a guy, the faster he falls") but it's not possible for an unaided human being to know exactly when gravity scaling is going to make a combo impossible*. It's intuitive but not easy to work with.

IPS is the opposite of that. It takes a few rules and a bunch of exceptions to explain how it works, but the rules are big granular limits that either kick in or don't at a given point in a combo. This is easier for an informed player to work with without (necessarily) a corresponding loss of depth.

*Until you check, but this whole conversation assumes you're talking about games where everything hasn't been mapped out yet. Once they have none of this matters anyways.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 26, 2012

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

*Until you check, but this whole conversation assumes you're talking about games where everything hasn't been mapped out yet. Once they have none of this matters anyways.

The problem is that most games which alter the physics affecting your opponent haven't been mapped out, or if they have it's not to the degree which you can actually explain or write down (as in, "X-23's standing jab will remove 17% of potential hitstun from future moves performed in the combo, every aerial normal induces an extra 6 pixels/frame falling speed increase in MSF, etc").

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
Skullgirls is the only game where I've ever felt like I can make combos on the fly, every other game I've played I have no idea what's going to work.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Ghostpilot is the King of Fighters, truly.

Next week is

SFA3!!

(fullsize the art it owns)

Signup: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/vtbmy678p6

Point Totals: http://goo.gl/JzKXR

Okay so there's also a new rule

ALSO NEW RULE: PUT THE NUMBER OF GOONBAT POINTS YOU HAVE IN FRONT OF YOUR NAME

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 26, 2012

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty image incoming!

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

kaujot posted:

This for Mystery Game at EVO

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Does anyone know how to do hypers in the iOS MvC2? I mean, I can do them with the control scheme that has 2x punch and 2x kick buttons, but I can't figure out how to do them with the 1x punch and 1x kick buttons.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

kaujot posted:

Does anyone know how to do hypers in the iOS MvC2? I mean, I can do them with the control scheme that has 2x punch and 2x kick buttons, but I can't figure out how to do them with the 1x punch and 1x kick buttons.

Send me a couple hundred bucks and then throw away your iPhone because you are incapable of making financially responsible decisions.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Broken Loose posted:

Send me a couple hundred bucks and then throw away your iPhone because you are incapable of making financially responsible decisions.

I bought it solely to gently caress around with. Jesus.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

It's ok I bought Blazblue on the Vita I'm worse at money

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It's ok I bought Blazblue on the Vita I'm worse at money

Fixed for me personally

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Broken Loose posted:

When I woke up this morning, I was really hoping the "is this game worth the amount of money it costs to get a coffee from a 7-11" chat would leak from the iOS game thread to this one.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Broken Loose posted:

Who are you to say he regularly buys apps? Now that I think about it, even most people who are not inept or unemployed could buy a lot of apps... just spitballin' here. Not everyone works at urban outfitters or whatever.

The Balance Niggy fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 26, 2012

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I love when cheap people talk about app purchasing. A DOLLAR?!?!

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

The problem is that most games which alter the physics affecting your opponent haven't been mapped out, or if they have it's not to the degree which you can actually explain or write down (as in, "X-23's standing jab will remove 17% of potential hitstun from future moves performed in the combo, every aerial normal induces an extra 6 pixels/frame falling speed increase in MSF, etc").

Iirc, the whole thing was: Moves on the ground remove 5 frames of hitstun per hit and 1 hit of air-hitstun. Once you've launched an opponent, all moves remove 5 frames of hitstun. The only exceptions would be launcher and certain specials that had a mandatory minimum hitstun, which currently I think it dr strange's impact palm, hawkeye's poison tip, deadpool's quick work, Pretty much all of zero's specials, and a few others. Note that one of the changes from vanilla to ultimate was removing that minimum from akuma's tatsu, which is why its no longer a "hard" infinite. I'm not sure about this gravity scaling, I've never seen it in action. Is that in mvc3?

So in short: you can use light moves all you want, but eventually you wont be able to cancel a light move into a medium move before hitstun evaporates. Ditto with mediums and heavies.

EDIT: Thats why you can link in a jam session with zero while the opponent is on the ground but not in the air and get a full combo out of it.

EDIT2: Shut up Broken Loose

Wozbo fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 26, 2012

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

The Dave posted:

I love when cheap people talk about app purchasing. A DOLLAR?!?!

It's not really a "cheap" thing so much as it's a poo poo port with poo poo controls and purchasing it encourages Capcom to keep doing exactly what they've been doing. It's like all those people who preordered SFxT premium edition for the extra gems.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
Who even buys App ports. They're almost always horrible.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

It's not really a "cheap" thing so much as it's a poo poo port with poo poo controls and purchasing it encourages Capcom to keep doing exactly what they've been doing. It's like all those people who preordered SFxT premium edition for the extra gems.

Nah it's $3 and you're cheap, sorry.

EDIT: That was also a lovely simile, mobile ports vs. nickle and dime dlc.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 26, 2012

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I got my £1.99 worth of "what the gently caress is this, this is hilarious" out of the app, so I'm happy.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

I think the best part is it's the old ps2 // dreamcast unlock system.

Gonna leave my iphone on in training mode all night guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Elephunk posted:

I think the best part is it's the old ps2 // dreamcast unlock system.
Gonna leave my iphone on in training mode all night guys

I'm pretty sure the Marvel unlock system is the reason my Dreamcast died so early. :smith:

• Locked thread