Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Furret Basket posted:

There's also a BBC News article! Although they partly credit Reddit. :smith:

And FOX news'll credit 9gag. It's the way of the internet. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
and so Tempus Chronicle fades silently into the night having gotten less than half of their goal.

Shame really. I know a lot of people hated on it but I kinda like the episodic concept behind it.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

macnbc posted:

and so Tempus Chronicle fades silently into the night having gotten less than half of their goal.

Shame really. I know a lot of people hated on it but I kinda like the episodic concept behind it.

And really, how could you hate on this diverse band of brothers?

Don't worry, though, it's apparently still happening, just not as quickly as it would have with Kickstarter funding.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
MSNBC just says that Reddit pointed to the Something Awful legwork ... but also mentions Rock-Paper-Shotgun. Oh well, it could be worse!

PC Gamer shamefully gave all the credit to Rock-Paper-Shotgun, even though the post they quoted on their front page clearly says Something Awful did the work :mad:

Duke of Straylight posted:

Well, I can say that a recommendation from Timothy Leary wasn't the first thing I'd have expected from a Kickstarter project. I don't see much else to be excited about, I've never heard of the original game, but that got my attention for 15 buck's worth.
Haha, yeah, leading with a quote about how much Timothy Leary loves your project has to count among the best possible things to do. A shame he is not still alive to record a bat-poo poo crazy pitch video for the game.

Harlock posted:

As neat as it looks, I really doubt they'll reach $900,000.
Agreed, but I am still glad that it exists for us to learn more about Shadley Puffin's backstory:

Shadley Puffin posted:

I swear, Kickstarter is trying to bankrupt me. I loved loved loved the original Portal when I was a kid. It was a moody, lonely diamond-hard SF mystery novel wrapped in an interface that doled story out in non-linear chunks as you searched a proto-Net to find out What Went Wrong. More than Double Fine, more than Wasteland 2, this is the game revival I'd give my left eyeteeth and a kidney to see succeed and become an adventure game - desolate landscapes, decaying systems, actual hard SF. The idea of playing a game where you try to reconstruct the past by rescuing data from failing systems gives me an archivist stiffy.

The Venn diagram, though, of those who've played it and those who remember it is vanishingly small, and $900k is a steep-rear end hill to climb - probably too steep. Grrr.
I just donated for you, Shadley Puffin.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Cross posting Kickstarter status:

24 Hours into our Kickstarter campaign and here are the results
Upate #1 posted http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic-void/posts/218806

and the breakdown of our backers

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Quarex posted:

PC Gamer shamefully gave all the credit to Rock-Paper-Shotgun, even though the post they quoted on their front page clearly says Something Awful did the work :mad:

Somehow, I’m not surprised PC Gamer fails at proper journalism.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

LumberingTroll posted:

Cross posting Kickstarter status:

24 Hours into our Kickstarter campaign and here are the results
Upate #1 posted http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seanpollman/kinetic-void/posts/218806

and the breakdown of our backers

That one single guy from Penny Arcade makes me grin.

fake edit: holy poo poo the one single guy from youtube threw in for $50, nice one.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Drifter posted:

One of you guys should put together a new thread for it. I'd post in it to help keep it visible for a few days. It's nicher than most things I've seen, and will definitely be overlooked in this thread alone. I checked it out and thought it looked pretty cool.

I found a super short youtube review of the game. There's also a free e-book novelization of the game written a few years later by the guy.
I'm definitely mildly interested. I wish I knew more about the guy or the game. It seems like the kickstarter would play as something similar to the Journeyman Project; would that be accurate?

Man. The youtube review of the original game you posted makes it sound awesome.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
This Storybricks kickstarter looks like it could be interesting. The concept seems kind of weird, but I think that makes it a better candidate for kickstarter than a lot of the more traditional games. I was interested just from Chris Avellone's endorsement, but looking closer, it seems like he's actually advising the team directly, which sounds pretty loving cool. They also have the guy who made Eversion working on it, which makes me want to donate even more.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

seorin posted:

This Storybricks kickstarter looks like it could be interesting. The concept seems kind of weird, but I think that makes it a better candidate for kickstarter than a lot of the more traditional games. I was interested just from Chris Avellone's endorsement, but looking closer, it seems like he's actually advising the team directly, which sounds pretty loving cool. They also have the guy who made Eversion working on it, which makes me want to donate even more.
Wow. Super-weird concept, and yet it is pretty easy to understand what they are going for ... I think.

Also, I already did one double-take at Steve Meretzky endorsing it, then I did a triple-take at Don Bluth not only endorsing it, but being involved in the process as well. And not only is Avellone on board, so is Liz Danforth, bringing still more Wasteland/Wasteland 2 into this. So as far as "cultural touchstones" are concerned, their front page is the Secret of the Wasteland Hitchhiker's Guide to NIMH. Well, I am intrigued! Even though I cannot imagine what I would do with, like, a sideways sequel to Stunt Island. Oh, that is what I would do with it, I would love it forever!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
King Burgundy, yeah. hah. It really seems like something way unique for its' time.

seorin posted:

Oh man. That really does sound very interesting. I know I'd personally never use something like that to its fullest, but I could imagine many developers taking that path. I'd REALLY like to see it in action, like a twenty minute tutorial running through some basic processes.

Quarex, you could make your own magnum opus for Wasteland 2 using this tool.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Quarex posted:

I just donated for you, Shadley Puffin.

You, sir, are a gentleman. And a scholar. And a gentlemanly scholar. And a scholarly gentleman. And a scholar's scholar. And a gentleman's gentleman. No, wait, that was Jeeves - he was Bertie's gentleman's gentleman. Well, anyway, some Brundlefly hybrid of scholar and gentleman.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

seorin posted:

It looks interesting, but I'm having trouble figuring out how it differs from a very specialized visual scripting system.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Shadley Puffin posted:

You, sir, are a gentleman. And a scholar. And a gentlemanly scholar. And a scholarly gentleman. And a scholar's scholar. And a gentleman's gentleman. No, wait, that was Jeeves - he was Bertie's gentleman's gentleman. Well, anyway, some Brundlefly hybrid of scholar and gentleman.
:tipshat::hf::eng101: It sounds like a pretty amazing project, and it would be awesome if something mystical happens and they get funded. It would also be awesome if they try it again with a more reasonable goal even if not!

Drifter posted:

Quarex, you could make your own magnum opus for Wasteland 2 using this tool.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That would certainly work nicely with the avant-garde "Let's Play" I am currently crafting.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

seorin posted:

I really have no idea what this is for. Is it for making entire games? Making quests in their premade game framework? Making quests for an MMO that they run? It doesn't have any sense of cohesion or sense. What the gently caress is it?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
They go into that question a bit in a blog post linked from their FAQ (which you can find here), but it sounds like Neverwinter Nights, only with a greater focus on the toolset and a lesser focus on the default campaign (literally, "The Kingdom of Default", which they only have so people can start tweaking the world and making stories right away instead of starting from scratch). The idea is that you'll create whatever you want - either just a small quest in the Kingdom of Default, a longer campaign with dynamic events based on radiant AI style NPC motivations, or an entire world in a completely different genre. If they pull it off successfully, the only thing stopping you from creating a multiplayer version of Morrowind will be Bethesda's lawyers.

This is getting more and more speculative as I go on, but it also looks like the Kingdom of Default will be hosted on their own central, MMO-like server. I could be misinterpreting that, though, and it might be more like a community site where you can find stories and servers that other people are running. A server, whether hosted by them or by you, could be a dynamic, MMO-like world with tons of people playing dozens of stories at once, or it could be a personal adventure crafted for your friends, where you act like their game master and continually tweak the world in response to their actions.

The main thing to take away is they want to make a toolset, not a game. Any included game is just so people can figure out the toolset easier and get started faster. Beyond that, they want people to have the freedom to make any kind of RPG story they want, whether it's open world and dynamic with lots of people, or a more tightly wound narrative for a small number of friends.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Finally Mass Effect fans can get the ending they want, not the ending they deserve.
:liara:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

So, Leisure Suit Larry's Kickstarter just ended, on $655,182. That means there will be a new girl and more story in the game. That's pretty cool, I think.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Iacen posted:

So, Leisure Suit Larry's Kickstarter just ended, on $655,182. That means there will be a new girl and more story in the game. That's pretty cool, I think.

$673k when Paypal donations are included.

Not a bad haul at all.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
I don't think the guy making the Portal game realizes exactly how kickstarter works. He's already offering bonuses for meeting certain goals, the newest being a "$10k achievement unlocked" that doesn't sound too bad, except that he's asking for $900k.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Narmi posted:

I don't think the guy making the Portal game realizes exactly how kickstarter works. He's already offering bonuses for meeting certain goals, the newest being a "$10k achievement unlocked" that doesn't sound too bad, except that he's asking for $900k.

It also seems like one of the ones where he didn't take in to account how much all of the rewards cost. There's a ton of expenses there.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think as Kickstarter projects mature people are going to figure out pretty quickly that unless you have either a AAA-class property or a major headliner developer, that you're highly unlikely to get more than 750k for a project, no matter how cool it sounds.

The Portal remake looks cool, but I just don't see how they're going to get 900k for it.

EDIT:
This is the one we're talking about

macnbc fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 2, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Narmi posted:

Which one is this? edit: thanks, macnbc.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 2, 2012

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Quarex posted:

:tipshat::hf::eng101: It sounds like a pretty amazing project, and it would be awesome if something mystical happens and they get funded. It would also be awesome if they try it again with a more reasonable goal even if not!

I wish they'd started with a flash-based version of the original interactive novel, updating it with a prettified interface and high-quality kerned & hinted text. Change the name to get it out of Valve's line of fire, give it a low-key iOS and PC/Mac release in the $5 to $10 range, then once they have a product in the market, work on expanding it into an adventure game. Hell, Christine Love's Analogue, while 180 degrees opposed tonally and art style-wise, is in the same structural wheelhouse as Portal. And that thing is $10 on Steam!

One of the things that concerns me about the kickstarter, is that physical rewards enter into it as low as the $30 tier, with coins, medals and books all over the place. Spread so thin, low manufacturing runs of all those things can't help but chew into their budget something fierce. Still really really want to see it happen though. :science:

"As soon as the door to Med10 closed, words appeared and swiftly disappeared, clicking through a series of space colonies and cities, some of which I did not know. As each name appeared in green letters, the phrase NO CONTACT appeared in red immediately after."

Edit: Did a head count. FOURTEEN different tchotchkes, eight to choose from at $30+ and a further six at $100+. Hope they get some discounts.

Shadley Puffin fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 2, 2012

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadley Puffin posted:

One of the things that concerns me about the kickstarter, is that physical rewards enter into it as low as the $30 tier, with coins, medals and books all over the place. Spread so thin, low manufacturing runs of all those things can't help but chew into their budget something fierce. Still really really want to see it happen though. :science:

Edit: Did a head count. FOURTEEN different tchotchkes, eight to choose from at $30+ and a further six at $100+. Hope they get some discounts.

I'm almost positive those are all digital in nature. at the 30$ tier.
e: Holy poo poo, nope. gently caress. And the 5$ level gets you a mailed post card? Jesus, this ship is set to crash before it even gets built.

I'm with you on them making a smaller-scoped version first, to help build their brand and capital.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 2, 2012

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

Drifter posted:

I'm almost positive those are all digital in nature. at the 30$ tier.
e: Holy poo poo, nope. gently caress. And the 5$ level gets you a mailed post card? Jesus, this ship is set to crash before it even gets built.

I'm with you on them making a smaller-scoped version first, to help build their brand and capital.

I just noticed the $5 "metallic post card", too. This is horrible. There's like $50 versions that come with boxed poo poo and all sorts of stuff.

What a dumb.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mgilq-ryLvo

Yogeventures posted another update and, honestly? I'm not regretting having sent them some money because even in this very early state it's got some of the base elements of the features they were talking about. It's miles away from being an actual game and it STILL bothers me that they're using the default Unity 3D third-person character controller and I almost want to send them the character controller I wrote myself with the license being "stop using the loving default character controller."

It's nice that there are constant updates about the progress though and it's shaping up nicely instead of like babby's first Unity game.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

NINbuntu 64 posted:

It's miles away from being an actual game and it STILL bothers me that they're using the default Unity 3D third-person character controller and I almost want to send them the character controller I wrote myself with the license being "stop using the loving default character controller."

I know absolutely nothing about Unity, but what's wrong with the default character controller?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

emoticon posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Unity, but what's wrong with the default character controller?

Absolutely nothing. They're using it for exactly what it was intended for, prototyping. In a finished product it would be a travesty, but it gets you like 80% of the way there with no time investment. That's a big part of why Unity is great to begin with, it's a silly thing to criticize.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

emoticon posted:

It has really awkward movement and without a lot of work, characters look like they're running in place while sliding around. It's not just a matter of the animation controls, but how it accelerates. It also has some really weird problems with jump acceleration. The great thing about Unity is that it's really, really easy to replace the default controllers and physics but the terrible thing about it is that the default systems are incredibly janky. You can also watch as Simon turns his character and he just jerks into position.

It's clearly they've implemented terrain generation and manipulation, which is a pretty big job compared to making better character controllers and such.

octoroon posted:

Absolutely nothing. They're using it for exactly what it was intended for, prototyping. In a finished product it would be a travesty, but it gets you like 80% of the way there with no time investment. That's a big part of why Unity is great to begin with, it's a silly thing to criticize.

It's not terribly silly because it's literally something that would take an hour to make look a million times better.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

It has really awkward movement and without a lot of work, characters look like they're running in place while sliding around. It's not just a matter of the animation controls, but how it accelerates. It also has some really weird problems with jump acceleration. The great thing about Unity is that it's really, really easy to replace the default controllers and physics but the terrible thing about it is that the default systems are incredibly janky. You can also watch as Simon turns his character and he just jerks into position.

It's clearly they've implemented terrain generation and manipulation, which is a pretty big job compared to making better character controllers and such.

It's not terribly silly because it's literally something that would take an hour to make look a million times better.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. It doesn't look bad and it's fine for prototyping. Also for terrain they're using marching cubes with triplanar texturing, as in, the kind straight from the Unity asset store. If anything, that's their laziest choice. I've rolled those from scratch in Unity and they don't take long, plus doing them wrong is really bad for a world larger than a football field.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 3, 2012

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I didn't know marching cubes was on the asset store because I keep calling it rolling cubes :shobon:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

seorin posted:

Storybricks :words:

Man, this sounds interesting; depending on how finances turn out, I might drop a tenner or so on this, if only so I can run a online RPG session without having to worry about fiddling with character sheets and such.

jeffb
Jan 4, 2007

Narmi posted:

You're reading it wrong, he is talking about getting 10k worth of backers already and features that will be in the finished game, not features that will be added on securing additional funding.

"The $10,000 barrier has been SMASHED and, as of this writing, we now have 193 backers."

"if we meet our funding goal we will not only include the previously-mentioned extended ending but also an all-new post-game interactive location."

English isn't so hard is it?

Also the metallic prints are nothing more than that Kodak Endura poo poo, how much does it really cost to send mail in the US these days?

jeffb fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 3, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

jeffb posted:

You're reading it wrong, he is talking about getting 10k worth of backers already and features that will be in the finished game, not features that will be added on securing additional funding.

"The $10,000 barrier has been SMASHED and, as of this writing, we now have 193 backers."

"if we meet our funding goal we will not only include the previously-mentioned extended ending but also an all-new post-game interactive location."

English isn't so hard is it?

I think you must have misunderstood me. The very same update you quoted was "10K: Achievement Unlocked!"

quote:

In appreciation for your efforts and to help drive us ever closer toward making this game a reality, we are pleased to announce that if we meet our funding goal we will not only include the previously-mentioned extended ending but also an all-new post-game interactive location.
(note that the bolding isn't mine - the update has that part specifically bolded)

It shows that he's treating getting $10K as an achievement (the title of the update is literally saying that) and he's already started to talk about extra stuff.

That's what I meant when I said he's "offering bonuses for meeting certain goals, the newest being a '$10k achievement unlocked'" - 10K was literally the goal here. e: It's also why I said he doesn't get how Kickstarter works - he's offering an "Appreciation Bonus" (his words, not mine) here when he's woefully short of his goal at 1.3% funding (that's what the "except that he's asking for $900k" part meant).

Narmi fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 3, 2012

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I would buy Beardventures.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

Skyrim came out months ago, bro.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Tsurupettan posted:

I already did!

Honestly I can see the game turning out to be lackluster, but it's fun to watch them make their gamer-turned-game-maker dreams come true. And it's only like :tenbux:

jeffb
Jan 4, 2007

Narmi posted:

I think you must have misunderstood me. The very same update you quoted was "10K: Achievement Unlocked!"

(note that the bolding isn't mine - the update has that part specifically bolded)

It shows that he's treating getting $10K as an achievement (the title of the update is literally saying that) and he's already started to talk about extra stuff.

That's what I meant when I said he's "offering bonuses for meeting certain goals, the newest being a '$10k achievement unlocked'" - 10K was literally the goal here. e: It's also why I said he doesn't get how Kickstarter works - he's offering an "Appreciation Bonus" (his words, not mine) here when he's woefully short of his goal at 1.3% funding (that's what the "except that he's asking for $900k" part meant).

Passing $10k is an achievement for them in the traditional sense, its an obvious milestone. What would you have him talk about in updates if he's not allowed to talk about content that will be in the final game?

The sentence you quoted literally says 'thanks for your efforts, if the game gets funded we're going to add some additional content that wasn't in the original'. It's pretty obvious this isn't something he's come up with as an "achievement" to backers for 10k funding.

Maybe English really is hard after all... There is a difference in posting updates as funding continues and "offering bonuses for meeting certain goals" as you put it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

jeffb posted:

Passing $10k is an achievement for them in the traditional sense, its an obvious milestone. What would you have him talk about in updates if he's not allowed to talk about content that will be in the final game?

Except we're not talking about traditional sense here. Regardless of the fact that $10k is a large chunk of money, he's talking about stretch goals for 1/90 funding.

quote:

The sentence you quoted literally says 'thanks for your efforts, if the game gets funded we're going to add some additional content that wasn't in the original'. It's pretty obvious this isn't something he's come up with as an "achievement" to backers for 10k funding.

Actually, at no point did I quote that phrase (in fact, it's not even in the original update). That was the meaning of his update, and he's free to say that, but that's what I meant when I said he doesn't get how Kickstarter works. No other project offers extra content before the minimum has been reached. It's an incentive to keep money coming in after you reach your goal. He's breaking out stretch goals now, in order to reach the minimum. That's what "raised $10k -> put in additional content" boils down to.

e: And the "efforts" you're referring to is quite clearly the act of raising $10k seeing as how a) the update title said 10k in it and b) it was only after they reached $10k funding they came out with this.

quote:

Maybe English really is hard after all... There is a difference in posting updates as funding continues and "offering bonuses for meeting certain goals" as you put it.

Of course there is a difference, that doesn't mean the two are mutually exclusive. That's what stretch goals are.

e2: So that this doesn't turn into a huge derail, Legends of Eisenwald posted their third update. They've included a "Limited Box Edition" with LoE and their previous game as well as the soundtrack. Hopefully this nets them some extra cash.

They've also explained the combat rules, which seem relatively simple too. For instance, damage = opponents attack - your defense, archers/supporting units don't move, etc. Some of it is a bit disappointing, like the fact that the direction of attack makes no difference, since it seems like if two guys attack from different sides, one should get a slight bonus, though that either might change or be a fairly rare scenario.

In any case, I'm glad to see that they're continuing to capitalize on their newfound attention.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 3, 2012