Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

swoollacott posted:

I just got the Blasphemer's set in Chapter 1. The effect with a drawn sword is not good, why make it difficult to see? Unfortunately I'm on 360 so I can't mod it out. I think I'll just dump the swords and use regular ones.

At least in chapter two, the armor itself seems incredibly good, but the swords don't seem to be a big enough jump over what else is available, at least when you're going underground or just hate the effect (and I really don't hate it except underground).

I guess I need to check out where to get the stuff for chapter three since I just started, so I don't run into a situation like with the draugir fragment, although it kinda doesn't seem worth the time and effort considering how short chapter three is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Cirofren posted:

Some decisions, such as if you saved Adda or not, are brought in and mentioned but if you haven't played the game before it won't necessarily be obvious and others are ignored entirely (anything relating to Shani).

You get some equipment based on what gear you've got in your final save, but it's not 1 to 1. You're probably safe grabbing a save 80% close to yours or better.
Thanks Cirofren; learning that they cut my true love Shani out of the second game to focus on Awful Woman Du Jour Triss is kind of disappointing, but that is fine.

I actually took your advice and just went to go grab one of the Nexus saves, buuuuut ... I gave Alvin to Shani, and could not imagine importing a save where the Witcher had ever liked Triss enough to believe she could take care of a child. Between the Nexus download and the GOG forums, it seems like basically no-one anywhere gave him to Shani and kept their save, so I ultimately decided to hunt through all my old backup drives until I discovered that I did, in fact, keep a couple of my saves, JUST IN CASE and am now rewarded. Wooo! Thanks for giving me the motivation!

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Flumpus posted:

At least in chapter two, the armor itself seems incredibly good, but the swords don't seem to be a big enough jump over what else is available, at least when you're going underground or just hate the effect (and I really don't hate it except underground).

I guess I need to check out where to get the stuff for chapter three since I just started, so I don't run into a situation like with the draugir fragment, although it kinda doesn't seem worth the time and effort considering how short chapter three is...

Yes, the trend is like that for all 3 sets - armor is great but the swords are about same damage and effects level as other swords you can get in same chapter (however regular swords don't have the vampirism effect healing you in battle, so you have to be a bit more careful)

The only rare thing you don't have at start of chapter 3 is dragon scales. But it's troublesome - I think there are exactly 3 of them and you could get locked out of all

1)On the Operator's corpse(gee thanks, I could have used that set to fight toughest boss around)
2)Phillipa's house, you can only get there if you decided to free her instead of going for Triss
3)Temerian Quarters, you can only get there peacefully on Roche's path

EDIT: and you need gargoyle dust from this chapter, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 3, 2012

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Pyromancer posted:

Yes, the trend is like that for all 3 sets - armor is great but the swords are about same damage and effects level as other swords you can get in same chapter (however regular swords don't have the vampirism effect healing you in battle, so you have to be a bit more careful)

The only rare thing you don't have at start of chapter 3 is dragon scales. But it's troublesome - I think there are exactly 3 of them and you could get locked out of all

1)On the Operator's corpse(gee thanks, I could have used that set to fight toughest boss around)
2)Phillipa's house, you can only get there if you decided to free her instead of going for Triss
3)Temerian Quarters, you can only get there peacefully on Roche's path

EDIT: and you need gargoyle dust from this chapter, but it shouldn't be that much of a problem

The 3rd chapter Dark swords are completely outclassed by the normal ones. 2x ygsith runes gives Dancer the highest damage available in the game and 3x Fire runes in Deithwen gives 60% incineration resistance and it's 25% damage boost vs everything except for harpies makes it more effective then the Dark sword(and it still oneshots harpies).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Deithwen's description might as well read "Strong against Chapter 3". As silver swords go, it's really all you need as soon as you pick it up.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Lycus posted:

Deithwen's description might as well read "Strong against Chapter 3". As silver swords go, it's really all you need as soon as you pick it up.

And its available for free at the start of Ch 3 (arachas are such pushovers)!

Not sure why they did that, but its quite helpful.

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008

Pyromancer posted:

But it's troublesome - I think there are exactly 3 of them and you could get locked out of all

On Iorveth's path, the dragon scales don't spawn in the Temerian Quarter even if you can get to where they're supposed to be located. On Roche's path, you simply can't get into Philippa's house. So you only have two chances at dragon scales in either version of Chapter 3, unless the new quests add in an extra chance to get them.

I'm pretty sure Deithwen is crazy to reward players who actually explore. There's a lot of really great, kinda broken equipment you can find in this game by just poking around in places you don't have to go.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone know what is in the chest in the roof of Sile's house in act 3? It has a bunch of candles and a sign drawn on the floor in front of it and you find a schematic to the order you are supposed to light the candles downstairs but I never got the "light candle" prompt no matter how many times I tried and had to leave the chest behind.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

keyframe posted:

Does anyone know what is in the chest in the roof of Sile's house in act 3? It has a bunch of candles and a sign drawn on the floor in front of it and you find a schematic to the order you are supposed to light the candles downstairs but I never got the "light candle" prompt no matter how many times I tried and had to leave the chest behind.

You mean Phillipa's house? That's sounds like where you get the magic dagger to break the spell on Sakia should you choose to save her instead of Triss.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Good lord... I appreciate that this was a huge project and a ton of people worked on it, but these credits are LONG. It certainly made it seem like there's something after all this, so I hope there is.

EDIT: Heh, ok, I feel like an idiot. Turns out you can skip them and still see it... I got through the German voice actors before I tried, felt like 30 minutes.

Flumpus fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 4, 2012

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Flumpus posted:

Good lord... I appreciate that this was a huge project and a ton of people worked on it, but these credits are LONG. It certainly made it seem like there's something after all this, so I hope there is.

EDIT: Heh, ok, I feel like an idiot. Turns out you can skip them and still see it... I got through the German voice actors before I tried, felt like 30 minutes.

I went through it all man, didn't want to risk skipping the ending.

Found out after you could skip it..

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

CommonSensei posted:

I did Roche's path first when I played the game and near the very end I killed the dragon so when I got to that part in Iorveth's path I realized what I did in the first playthrough and was like "Oh. Oh...."

Which was a pretty awesome effect in retrospect.

Funny thing about that: even along Roche's path Dandelion spoils it in the journal. Read the summary after the dragon fight it just casually mentions that it was in fact Saskia.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
So, chapter three is really short... It may just be the way I play games, because I tend to follow the pacing the story seems to dictate, and chapter three seems to be pretty frantic. Running around the city and having any guard you run into attack you certainly lends to that feeling quite a bit. I felt like chapters one and two were much slower paced and "open" (even though it's obviously fairly linear and not an open world game in any way) at the beginning, and only got that frantic pace (and eventually locked you into finishing the chapter) at the end.

I guess I really just hoped for another chapter with the depth and length of the first two. It's not bad, just a little disappointing. This was my second playthrough (on Iorveth's path instead of Roche's this time), I'd just forgotten how little time I spent in chapter three. I do think I enjoyed Iorveth's path a little more, but am happy I played Roche's first. Dark mode also was a lot of fun, but got much less difficult after chapter one I think, once you've filled out your skill tree a little to suit your play style, and get some better equipment.

Also, regarding the end... That video after the credits was incredibly depressing. I know some people earlier were hoping for less personal stuff with Geralt and more political stuff in the third game, but I'm kind of hoping for more personal stuff with Geralt, Triss, Yennefer, and a lot of other witchers. I suspect I'm in the minority there though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Do the romance options in Witcher 1 carry over to 2? I'm in act 5 of the first one and I'm getting the feeling it's not going to matter, since Triss keeps telling me to gently caress off then seems friendly enough when a quest demands it. I went with Shani for what its worth.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Do the romance options in Witcher 1 carry over to 2? I'm in act 5 of the first one and I'm getting the feeling it's not going to matter, since Triss keeps telling me to gently caress off then seems friendly enough when a quest demands it. I went with Shani for what its worth.

I chose Triss in the first one, but everyone has said Shani gets a passing mention at some point I believe, but only in regards to it not working out, and I would imagine the role Triss plays is pretty much the same no matter what you do in the first.

Speaking of saves, I hope more carries over from 2 to 3. I spared Letho in both playthroughs, I just couldn't bring myself to kill him (I did load up a save in dark mode just before meeting up with him just to see how hard the fight was... not very was the answer), and I really kinda want to meet up with him and his friends again in the third.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Besides a small note it really doesn't matter in the Witcher 2 since it assumes Geralt shacks up with Triss.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I hope save import has a bigger impact in Witcher 3, but as long as the tattoo carries over I'll be happy.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Terminally Bored posted:

I hated the saga's ending since I first read it. Not only that, everyone I know hate it also and/or consider it weak. It wasn't a matter of theme, it's just that Sapkowski gradually ran out of steam while writing the Witcher novels. The last one is really poor, even without taking the ending into account. You're literally the first person I've seen defending it.

Sapkowski's writing quality never really recovered, his later novels (Narrenturm) were simply weak, and his last novel, "Viper" (set in Afghanistan) was pretty much destroyed in the reviews. And rightfully so.

You shut your dirty mouth, everyone I know thinks the Hussite Trilogy is Sapkowski's best work and I agree. :colbert: It's just that he's somehow genetically incapable of coming up with a satisfying ending to a story. Hopefully the game's writers won't share that flaw when it comes to finishing up the series.

(Viper really was terrible though)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

etalian posted:

Besides a small note it really doesn't matter in the Witcher 2 since it assumes Geralt shacks up with Triss.

That's too bad, but I'm not that surprised. It hasn't really mattered much in the first game.

Also I really like how every act in W1 can basically be a standalone game if you tweak a few things. Acts 1 and 4 are my favorite, so far. I like the idea of a monster hunter/ranger wandering into town, getting embroiled in local politics while doing what he went there for, then making a stand for one side or another, and finally moving on as he follows his quarry. Reminds me of a few westerns or something.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.
While it would have been nice to have some more stuff recognized on importing, I wasn't too disappointed by it. I'm pretty sure it was not too far out from the initial release where they revealed the feature. No one even knew they were going to do something like that before then. It was never played up as all your decisions from the first game will have huge sweeping changes in the second or third game like in say Mass Effect, from what I remember anyways. In fact, I think importing a save for this game has about as many meaningful changes as importing a save does in ME :v:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I need confirmation. On the new quest on Iorveth's path on Chapter 3 (The Secrets of Loc Muinne): Cynthia tells you that you were a rider of the wild hunt... did she just mean that Geralt was following them or did Geralt actually ride with them? If it's the latter than that's kinda big news...

Cityinthesea fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 4, 2012

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cityinthesea posted:

I need confirmation. On the new quest on Iorveth's path on Chapter 3 (The Secrets of Loc Muinne): Cynthia tells you that you were a rider of the wild hunt... did she just mean that Geralt was following them or did Geralt actually ride with them? If it's the latter than that's kinda big news...

End Game Story + Iorveth's Path EE Content Spoilers:

Geralt became an actual rider of the hunt as part of the trade to get Yennefer from the Hunt. Its still unknown how he managed to escape.

InvisibleHand fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 5, 2012

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I'm just starting out (Chapter 1, beginning Flotsam), I have a few questions.

1) Is there more to Quen than just protecting you from one hit? I have the latest EE version from GOG, I take it that its been nerfed because I don't see whats so great about it when the casting time/vigor cost makes it tricky to use during combat and it seems easier to just dodge away from poo poo. What am I missing?

2) What rare crafting materials should I start buying up, assuming I want to craft most of the good weapons and armor? I have a ton of gold burning in my pocket, might as well plan ahead for potential bottlenecks.

3) What are your thoughts on the best enchantments for weapons and armor? I'm leaning towards fire runes and dwarven armor but I'd like to hear other opinions before I slot anything in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

1) Is there more to Quen than just protecting you from one hit? I have the latest EE version from GOG, I take it that its been nerfed because I don't see whats so great about it when the casting time/vigor cost makes it tricky to use during combat and it seems easier to just dodge away from poo poo. What am I missing?

It has been balanced but it takes some Sign upgrades to be useful.

Basically a shield that also damages bad guys when they score a hit. Also you get upgrades that allow the chain damage to hit even more close range bad guys.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

moot the hopple posted:

2) What rare crafting materials should I start buying up, assuming I want to craft most of the good weapons and armor? I have a ton of gold burning in my pocket, might as well plan ahead for potential bottlenecks.

3) What are your thoughts on the best enchantments for weapons and armor? I'm leaning towards fire runes and dwarven armor but I'd like to hear other opinions before I slot anything in.

1.) Quen used to absorb several hits, with practically 100% reflect damage. They weakened it considerably so it only absorbs one hit, and fully upgraded reflects maybe 40% of the attack it absorbs. It's still the best sign in the game because it's one free mistake or bad positioning. If you upgrade dodge roll, you should be able to put enough distance between you and your opponent(s) to cast Quen safely.

2.) Almost all of the rare crafting ingredients are loot. Silver ore might be a little hard to come by.

3.) There's no wrong enhancements for weapons or armor, by virtue of there being no negatives to weigh, and, hell, it's a single-player game. Don't worry about min-maxing.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

Yeah Quen has been heavily nerfed into its current incarnation, its still pretty useful in Dark mode where a nekker can oneshot you if you're hit in the back.
Its not really a sign you want to use in the middle of a fight, generally you'd want to dodge away from the enemies activate it then charge back in and treat it as a free hit.

quote:

As far as armor upgrade are concerned you can buy a diagram for diamond armor reinforcements from a guy in the village right outside flotsome. Its the same as dwarven but you can craft as many as you like whereas dwarven you can only find in loot (actually I think there may only be one.
Swords? Depends on your playstyle but I like fire or ygsith.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

InvisibleHand posted:

Story Spoilers:

Geralt became an actual rider of the hunt as part of the trade to get Yennefer from the Hunt. Its still unknown how he managed to escape.

Was that in the base game? I distinctly don't remember hearing that, and I think I would have remembered.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
2) Yeah, silver ore is the only thing I never find in the quantities that I need, but I wouldn't necessarily buy it up as I see it. It will always be available, even if you have to wait for restocks to get enough to make a new sword.

3) That Dwarven reinforcement and the functionally identical Diamond reinforcement are among the best armor pieces in the game, certainly the best ones in Chapter 1. Use 'em.

For swords, fire runes are always good. You can use moon, earth, and ysgith runes too, pick ones that jive with your chosen skill-set. Don't use sun runes.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Im going through Dark on Roches Act 2 and I forgot to nab the Draugir fragment at the start of the act, did I just screw myself out of the Oathbreaker set? I havent seen any Draugirs emerge from the mist at night and Im at the part Where you cross the mist to Vergen but I didnt see any pop up there either

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

It's not just the damage Quen prevents, but also the disruption that comes from being damaged. Quen is a good buffer for casting Axii.

quote:

Cloth, leather, iron ore and silver ore are good things to hoard in your storage chest. Definitely grab the recipes for Robust Cloth and Hardened Leather. I don't remember most of the monster parts that are used in future equipment recipes off the top of my head.

quote:

As someone above said, you don't need to min-max in this game. However, Ysgith runes are the best. These require 8 Nekker Hearts per rune to create, IIRC. Hoard Nekker Hearts if you care about this. Any armor enhancement that gives +2 armor is good enough to use.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

SpRahl posted:

Im going through Dark on Roches Act 2 and I forgot to nab the Draugir fragment at the start of the act, did I just screw myself out of the Oathbreaker set? I havent seen any Draugirs emerge from the mist at night and Im at the part Where you cross the mist to Vergen but I didnt see any pop up there either
You'll get one much later in the act but yeah, I wasn't happy about dying several times in the mist and succeeding the one time I didn't collect that loot.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cityinthesea posted:

Was that in the base game? I distinctly don't remember hearing that, and I think I would have remembered.

I'm like 90% you learn it in the final flashback but also (Act 3: Secrets of Loc Muinne Spoiler) On Iorveth's path in the new EE-quest, you learn that Nilfgaard has a file on Geralt where its revealed that Geralt was a rider of the hunt.

I'll edit my prior post do be more specific about the spoiler warning.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Why did they feel the need to add Dancer to the game? In Lilies and Vipers, they have a cave that gives you Deithwen (again, in case you missed it) and an arbitrarily awesome steel sword too. At least with Caerme I felt like I worked for that damned blade, with Dancer its just "oh, I killed a few nekkers and I get a sword better than one a sorcerer-smith was thrilled to be able to make."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would like to congratulate The Witcher 2 for being the first game since getting my new computer that I cannot run at maximum settings. It's a very pretty game! Is anyone else having a problem with .net framework needing to repair itself every time you boot it up, though?

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Cityinthesea posted:

It was in the base game, but it was just one sentence in one animated vignette.

edit: Also, in the fight with Letho Geralt says "the muscles remember" [how to fight], and his opponent responds "one thing the Wild Hunt couldn't take from you."

Cassian of Imola fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 7, 2012

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So glad I took riposte this run, made the "out of character" battles in the second act quite a bit easier.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I would like to congratulate The Witcher 2 for being the first game since getting my new computer that I cannot run at maximum settings. It's a very pretty game! Is anyone else having a problem with .net framework needing to repair itself every time you boot it up, though?

I had that problem so I just deleted the .net framework installer from the install directory (steam/steamapps/common/witcher 2/redist) and have gone on to complete the game with no crashes/abnormalities.
Just get rid of it and save yourself the hassle.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Valkrye posted:

I had that problem so I just deleted the .net framework installer from the install directory (steam/steamapps/common/witcher 2/redist) and have gone on to complete the game with no crashes/abnormalities.
Just get rid of it and save yourself the hassle.

Alright, thanks, I'll do that.

How long does the tutorial last? I got to the wave where the giant guys started appearing before going down. I'm not used to having so little health! Also its really annoying trying to aim knives on a controller. Does mouse sensitivity also affect stick sensitivity? It's a little touchy.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Why did they feel the need to add Dancer to the game? In Lilies and Vipers, they have a cave that gives you Deithwen (again, in case you missed it) and an arbitrarily awesome steel sword too. At least with Caerme I felt like I worked for that damned blade, with Dancer its just "oh, I killed a few nekkers and I get a sword better than one a sorcerer-smith was thrilled to be able to make."

Wait'll you find the forgotten vran sword (aka the best sword). Even though you're almost done, chapter III seems to be ultra-content in raining really badass swords onto you, picking up the silver sword at the end of the gargoyle quest was especially awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I don't think I've enjoyed a game this much since I was a teenager. I can't believe I never gave this a chance before. I'm going deep into Traps or whatever that tree is with a little side of Magic, and am blindly trusting all of you that all trees are as awesome as they look.

Quick question: does completing the Contract quests in flotsam prevent the associated monster type from spawning? Should I farm the poo poo out of them for sweet sweet bomb ingredients before I turn them in, or is that not really necessary in this game?

• Locked thread