Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

Question Mark Mound posted:

Speaking of Soulcalibur 5, I had to play through story mode to unlock characters for a tournament happening in the summer (just Algol left to go) and it actually doesn't seem all that bad for screwing around with.

Is it at all suitable for proper tournaments or is it basically gonna disappear from anything but casual play? I don't really have any fighting games I enjoy playing any more (SF4 is dull, BlazBlue is just stupid and dead now, SFxT is even sillier than that, I don't have enough time to dedicate to Marvel, nobody local plays Tekken) so it might be worth getting into something new.

SC5 is dying on a "Scene" level even though it is at MLG. However, the game is really good if you can deal with ring outs and 50/50 throw breaks. I have no idea what online is like right now as I gave up on it outside of player matches that are prearranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I really wish SCV had a scene in the UK like France, because it's honestly a great game. I'm willing to bet the game would pick up again in a year or two once people start getting bored of playing loving sf4 or whatever 2D fighter that is not KOF.

Popehoist posted:

Akatsuki Blitzkampf.

Get him playing Fritz (in UK we only play fritz mirrors and call it fritzkampf)

That game is hella boom, especially when people start playing the other characters. I'll probably ask mans to buy another noami for another setup.

Oh, we play Tank(tank is boom) and Perfecti too.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The Last Blade 2

Last Blade as a series is based strongly on very basic attacks and combos and places most of the emphasis on footwork and timing. Its also pretty much the closest we'll ever get to a good Samurai Champloo game.

This is really, really not true if you are playing the game "for real" and not just messing around at low level, there are a lot of difficult link combos in the game plus several characters have practical infinites.

It's definitely a fun game to just mess around with though, IMO one of the best casual fighters, especially if you are playing one of the console versions with the option to map supers to a single button.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
VF5:FS is being released on June 5th (PSN) and June 6th (XBLA) for $14.99/1200MS.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

kaujot posted:

VF5:FS is being released on June 5th (PSN) and June 6th (XBLA) for $14.99/1200MS.

C'mon, Sega, you've been putting everything else out on Steam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msa7tI7ngWQ

BALLOONO

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

kaujot posted:

So when is someone making a thread for VF5FS?

Also let's remind everyone of the VF5FS april fool's video from 2010 - probably better than SFxT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo_oTzd0k58

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Fayk posted:

So when is someone making a thread for VF5FS?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3483319

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Yeah that's the one.

Samurai Shodown owns I encourage everyone to play it. All creature will die and all the things will be broken

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Yo ST people

Anyone have experience in the Gief-Fei matchup? I'm having a really hard time as gief and i'm looking for pointers. Particularly is there anything I can do if he corners me and does chicken wing, cl.hp xx chicken wing repeat? Lariat gets stuffed clean and CW, cl.HP seems to be a tight blockstring so I can't 360 or anything. Thanks!

Also if anyone wants to play st on supercade (GGPO doesn't play nice with my lovely ISP) let me know.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Jmcrofts posted:

Yo ST people

Anyone have experience in the Gief-Fei matchup? I'm having a really hard time as gief and i'm looking for pointers. Particularly is there anything I can do if he corners me and does chicken wing, cl.hp xx chicken wing repeat? Lariat gets stuffed clean and CW, cl.HP seems to be a tight blockstring so I can't 360 or anything. Thanks!

Also if anyone wants to play st on supercade (GGPO doesn't play nice with my lovely ISP) let me know.

I'll play with you, do you use AIM? I'm FingersMLD on there (and any other online service).

Not really sure about that matchup though, it's pretty uncommon :shobon: I know I've seen that matchup played out before one some of the vids uploaded to supersf2turbo's channel, but I can't find any right now.

Rambler
May 6, 2007

Popehoist posted:

Akatsuki Blitzkampf.

Get him playing Fritz (in UK we only play fritz mirrors and call it fritzkampf)
This is a dumb question but where do you get this game?

Zand posted:

Soul Calibur 5 is really really accessible and fun for new players.

dane cook torrent posted:

Rambler: Don't let that intimidate you though, this is the most deep recent game out without an emphasis on combos. The setups and traps I talk about are 3-4 hits at most in most cases.
I'll give this one a try too, thanks :)

Boxman posted:

Super Turbo? :v:
Tried it already. For some bizarre reason he loves playing HF but doesn't like ST as much.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I know I'm late to the party, but a couple of days ago I put back in SxT into the PS3 and started doing the combo trials. After working for a while on a particular combo, Dan informed me about "Preset Combo 3" that would finish the trial, automatically.

I thought "they can't possibly be charging money to finish the trial" and "it probably doesn't count".

Well to my surprise, it was free, and to my dismay, it actually FINISHED the combo, rather than merely showing how it was done. Why couldn't they have just included a "demo play" like KOFXIII? Most of the time, I can't finish a combo trial because I simply don't know how the combo is supposed to WORK, not because I lack the skill.

I was working on a Hugo combo, and when I used preset 3, it turned I had to inch forward at a very particular moment. I could have finished it myself, had I known that. Ah well.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Rambler posted:

This is a dumb question but where do you get this game?

What, you mean on an arcade board? The only guy in UK who has the Ver.A board is a guy called Matt 'FireBug' in Potters Bar outside of London. Getting there is not too hard unless you have to go through Zone 1.

If you're outisde of UK, then you can only get in on PC. I heard it's on GGPO, but that's all I know. It's free anyway, so just do a quick google search.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

For what it's worth the version is down to the CD used and not the security cartridge, so Mark could have two version A's if he copied the CD. HoG is great for 3rd Strike there's a meet up on 2nd June, check Neo Empire's forums for deetz.

Also I just bought a 3S PCB, not sure what version other than it's not a revived model, won't be able to mess about with it for a while though which is irritating.

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

Cool idea for a site. I'd regularly check into a dedicated tournament/stream agregator.

Does that scrape any other sites' tournament postings at all?

Oh god I missed this post from like 2 weeks ago.

I've never heard of scraping, I'm guessing it means taking the info off the other site and automatically posts it on his? No it doesn't. I'm not sure how he'd really set that up, since there aren't any other tournament posting sites that are well organized that I know of.

The design is still a tad bit rough, but he set up a system so that it tells you exactly how far away each tournament is, and you can sort by <x miles away from you so it only shows you the tournaments that are close. He's also adding something that automatically e-mails you when a tournament close to you is posted.

It now also automatically shows at the top of the page when tournaments are streaming, which is pretty cool I think.

Anyway to plug it one more time, if anyone is,

-interested in finding nearby tournaments
-a TO trying to get more people to come to your tournament
-interested in watching streams (work in progress)

Then check out http://fgtournaments.com. I think it's a ridiculously awesome idea for a site and I hope it gets used.

edit: Also if anyone has any comments on the site design or things that it's lacking, or if anything isn't self explanatory, then please PM me or e-mail me at wesselar at gmail

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ZerodotJander posted:

This is really, really not true if you are playing the game "for real" and not just messing around at low level, there are a lot of difficult link combos in the game plus several characters have practical infinites.

It's definitely a fun game to just mess around with though, IMO one of the best casual fighters, especially if you are playing one of the console versions with the option to map supers to a single button.

I don't really think its any worse than Hyper Fighting as far as combo strings are concerned.

Also high level Last Blade is like high level Killer Instinct. Those people are all insane and playing a practically different game than everyone else.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Bloody Roar 3 is a really fun mashy fighter. If you play as Uranus you can literally mash your face on the controller and kill someone.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

PalmTreeFun posted:

Bloody Roar 3 is a really fun mashy fighter. If you play as Uranus you can literally mash your face on the controller and kill someone.

Bloody Roar owns we ran a $1 tourney for it years back with all of us going in pretty much completely blind it was a total blast. He isn't kidding about the face rolling either :/.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Hori SCV sticks on sale at Newegg for $90 (down from MSRP of $150 and Amazon price of ~$125): 360, PS3.

Good price although the 360 layout is odd. Looks like there's a pretty thorough review of it here: http://www.levelup-series.com/soul-calibur-v-stick-review-by-shinjn/

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Cicero posted:

Hori SCV sticks on sale at Newegg for $90 (down from MSRP of $150 and Amazon price of ~$125): 360, PS3.

Good price although the 360 layout is odd. Looks like there's a pretty thorough review of it here: http://www.levelup-series.com/soul-calibur-v-stick-review-by-shinjn/

I'm not sure why you're mentioning the layout on the 360 one only. They're both astro city button layouts.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Nintendo is great at securing a genre and then dropping the loving ball. Look at Goldeneye for example. They totally had a huge hit on Gamecube with SCII but then did nothing to try and get more fighters on the platform. So we got Blood Roar and, uh, the really lovely version of Capcom Vs SNK 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Nintendo is great at securing a genre and then dropping the loving ball. Look at Goldeneye for example.

N64 had way more FPS games than the competing consoles of the day, in terms of both original games and PC ports.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Nintendo just has all the bad fighters. Clay Fighter, MK Trilogy, Tatsunoko, CvS2:EO, the million awful N64 fighting games, it's kinda rough.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Woah is SC5 seriously good? Like competitive good? I'm so used to the series gradually getting dumber and dumber while they just add in new costume modes

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Uznare posted:

I'm not sure why you're mentioning the layout on the 360 one only. They're both astro city button layouts.
I didn't mean the physical layout of the 8 buttons, I meant which logical button each physical button is mapped to. The PS3 version has the four face buttons in a rectangle, the 360 version has them in an arc.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Jmcrofts posted:

Yo ST people

Fei players pretty much relish fighting Gief because he's probably Fei's only undisputed REALLY good match-up.

If the Fei player knows his stuff he's probably using the RH Chicken Wing since it has the least recovery, but I'm pretty sure it leaves him closer for SPD.
After you block the 1st CW, close HP xx CW is guaranteed to be safe but after that you can guess.
If he tries another close HP, Gief's crouching LP will beat it clean (Fei Close HP has 4 frame start-up, Gief's crouching LP has 3 frame start-up), but really if you can get Lariat out, you should be able to get SPD out (both are zero frames).
CW and Flame Kick are both airborne from the 1st frame though I think. Any time Fei walks up to continue the blockstring after (CW, cl. HP xx CW) you should be ready to SPD him.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

brian posted:

For what it's worth the version is down to the CD used and not the security cartridge, so Mark could have two version A's if he copied the CD. HoG is great for 3rd Strike there's a meet up on 2nd June, check Neo Empire's forums for deetz.

Also I just bought a 3S PCB, not sure what version other than it's not a revived model, won't be able to mess about with it for a while though which is irritating.

Unlike 3rd strike which he has loads of CDs for, he only has one blitzkamp CD and no disk drive on his PC (:psyduck:, I know), so no way of copying anything unless someone does it for him, then again, he's pretty protective of the smaller bits.

3rd St is a good game and all, but I'm more in touch with Alpha 2. Are you gonna test the board at HOG?

Also, what's this I've been hearing about 3rd strike boards having a battery that can potentially fry the board if it runs out? He was complaining having to either always keep it on or change the batteries.

Also, BulletProof asked me to be a blogger on NeoEmpire, though I'm not sure about it. Then again, the front rarely gets updated, so I might as well take the position, but I don't know what to talk about except for news and I don't want to sound like an SRK blogger.

The Balance Niggy
May 11, 2001

tane wave

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Woah is SC5 seriously good? Like competitive good?

This has been repeated several times.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

Cicero posted:

I didn't mean the physical layout of the 8 buttons, I meant which logical button each physical button is mapped to. The PS3 version has the four face buttons in a rectangle, the 360 version has them in an arc.

This is mandated by Microsoft unless you get specific permission to use the face layout. A couple of the Madcatz sticks use this one (I can't remember which off the top of my head but I am pretty sure there's at least 1) as well as the HORI EX-SE and a few other HORI models IIRC.

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, what's this I've been hearing about 3rd strike boards having a battery that can potentially fry the board if it runs out? He was complaining having to either always keep it on or change the batteries.

This is all CPS2 and CPS3 boards. The battery is for the chip that contains the decryption keys and if that battery goes, the board is hosed. It's possible to get the board phoenixed though if you know someone who can do it (this is true of CPS2, I'm not as familiar with CPS3), which means you won't have to worry about the battery anymore. Batteries should be changed every ~5-7 years to be on the safe side.

rivals fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 16, 2012

brian
Sep 11, 2001

uncleKitchener posted:

3rd St is a good game and all, but I'm more in touch with Alpha 2. Are you gonna test the board at HOG?

Hopefully I will at the next 3S thing on 2nd June but i'm moving to Dundee almost immediately after so not sure.

WRT encryption batteries it's on the security cartridge for 3S stuff, with CPS3 it's just one board that's like a games console and you plug in a security cartridge with the decryption keys on and a CD containing the game data for each game.

If the battery runs out it won't fry the board or anything, just the security cart won't work, there's a method for reviving them but it means you end up with a dodgy asian version that has weird voices or something but I believe it works fine. You can change the battery either via using a temporary surrogate while you swap it out or by doing it while the thing is turned on, the guy who has the most experience with it, called idc on arcade otaku, says it's a lot safer to do it while the thing is on for whatever that's worth. With CPS2 the revival/phoenix process is a lot more reliable or something idk I don't know much about CPS2.

The battery on my one was replaced less than 2 years ago so in 2-3 years i'll replace it or get someone with experience to do it for me.

edit: You should totes blog for NE, no one seems to update anything although I guess there isn't really a need for another FG new site, if it focuses on UK related news that would be sweet, like tournament results/upcoming tournaments, if zak/ryan/fword/etc go off somewhere, more interviews I guess, spotlights on various cities' scenes with pictures and who to get in contact with, stuff like that.

brian fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 16, 2012

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

rivals posted:

This is mandated by Microsoft unless you get specific permission to use the face layout. A couple of the Madcatz sticks use this one (I can't remember which off the top of my head but I am pretty sure there's at least 1) as well as the HORI EX-SE and a few other HORI models IIRC.

Game-licensed sticks can alter the layout to match the default button assignments, the rest have to use the stupid arc, which was designed for DoA4 I think.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Wow lots of London guys ITT. I've never been to HoG (i'm kinda on the outskirts of UK scene partly due to living in loving scotland and partly due to mainly playing unpopular games like melty, kof, and, well, fritzkampf) but I'm good friends with frostbolt and he's encouraging me to get down for some kind of big event at the end of summer, apparently HoG is moving venue closer to central london?

brian
Sep 11, 2001

Popehoist posted:

Wow lots of London guys ITT. I've never been to HoG (i'm kinda on the outskirts of UK scene partly due to living in loving scotland and partly due to mainly playing unpopular games like melty, kof, and, well, fritzkampf) but I'm good friends with frostbolt and he's encouraging me to get down for some kind of big event at the end of summer, apparently HoG is moving venue closer to central london?

Yeah that was the plan but i'm not sure if it's been put off due to the costs related to it. Ironically enough i'm moving up to Dundee for 4 months on the 4th of June so maybe i'll see you at something in le scot land.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Okay so last week we had

Marvel vs. Capcom

1. Rottking
2. Zand
3. Fayk

Next week is

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

BREAKER'S REVENGE

signups here - http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/55sk6fgxsy

points here - http://goo.gl/JzKXR

okay any questions?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
If you're willing to sleep at HOGs, Mark will let you sleep on the floor for cheaps, though you'll probably start smelling like poo poo after a few days.

Regarding the new venue, I'd rather stay quiet unless something really solid happens and besides, if HOG does move to Central, then it has to compete with loving Gamerbase and honestly, gently caress that place because it's full of kids and they only play that piece of poo poo AE2012.

rivals posted:

This is all CPS2 and CPS3 boards. The battery is for the chip that contains the decryption keys and if that battery goes, the board is hosed. It's possible to get the board phoenixed though if you know someone who can do it (this is true of CPS2, I'm not as familiar with CPS3), which means you won't have to worry about the battery anymore. Batteries should be changed every ~5-7 years to be on the safe side.

Not sure about the phoenixing process, but if it helps us worry less about the batteries, then it's worth looking into. Thanks for the info.

brian posted:

Hopefully I will at the next 3S thing on 2nd June but i'm moving to Dundee almost immediately after so not sure.

WRT encryption batteries it's on the security cartridge for 3S stuff, with CPS3 it's just one board that's like a games console and you plug in a security cartridge with the decryption keys on and a CD containing the game data for each game.

If the battery runs out it won't fry the board or anything, just the security cart won't work, there's a method for reviving them but it means you end up with a dodgy asian version that has weird voices or something but I believe it works fine. You can change the battery either via using a temporary surrogate while you swap it out or by doing it while the thing is turned on, the guy who has the most experience with it, called idc on arcade otaku, says it's a lot safer to do it while the thing is on for whatever that's worth. With CPS2 the revival/phoenix process is a lot more reliable or something idk I don't know much about CPS2.

The battery on my one was replaced less than 2 years ago so in 2-3 years i'll replace it or get someone with experience to do it for me.

edit: You should totes blog for NE, no one seems to update anything although I guess there isn't really a need for another FG new site, if it focuses on UK related news that would be sweet, like tournament results/upcoming tournaments, if zak/ryan/fword/etc go off somewhere, more interviews I guess, spotlights on various cities' scenes with pictures and who to get in contact with, stuff like that.

Actually, Mark was wondering if you're willing to sell yours, because he's interested in buying it. Not sure why, but he said yesterday that he's a buyer, probably to fit em in the new setups.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

interrodactyl posted:

okay any questions?

Can I pick Sho? Is Sho a character I am allowed to pick?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

interrodactyl posted:

BREAKER'S REVENGE

signups here - http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/55sk6fgxsy

points here - http://goo.gl/JzKXR

okay any questions?

People should play this. It's a fun game.

brian
Sep 11, 2001

uncleKitchener posted:

Actually, Mark was wondering if you're willing to sell yours, because he's interested in buying it. Not sure why, but he said yesterday that he's a buyer, probably to fit em in the new setups.

Nah just got it for a reason, but i'm talking to Mark on NE and if he's interested I believe the place I got it from has 2 or 3 more.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Shoutouts to rivals and Fayk being buttholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

interrodactyl posted:

okay any questions?

Why is norcal so gdlk at being frauds almost WINNING EVERYTHING?

• Locked thread