Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarington Grey
Dec 4, 2007

Subtle but delightful.

Farmyard Agency posted:

I guess Brian's death is the following day. Do we know if Alex took Seth to the basement of that building before or after all this?

When Alex gives his "everyone's gone" monologue, he mentions that he and Seth were the only two left.

In Entry #51, when Brian finds Tim, he's on the floor with a filthy old blanket over his legs, like he spent the night in that room, so who knows how long he'd really been there. Did anyone else get the impression that maybe Tim was trying to run away from the building, but his path through the woods just led him right back there, kind of like Jay's experience in the house? Maybe Tim didn't leave because he couldn't?

I realize that's pretty far out, but hey, I suppose it's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Clarington Grey posted:

When Alex gives his "everyone's gone" monologue, he mentions that he and Seth were the only two left.

In Entry #51, when Brian finds Tim, he's on the floor with a filthy old blanket over his legs, like he spent the night in that room, so who knows how long he'd really been there. Did anyone else get the impression that maybe Tim was trying to run away from the building, but his path through the woods just led him right back there, kind of like Jay's experience in the house? Maybe Tim didn't leave because he couldn't?

I realize that's pretty far out, but hey, I suppose it's possible.

This did occur to me actually. I couldn't figure out the logic in where he was going the first time watching the video so it occurred to me he might be teleporting around like Jay did in the house, except the scenery this time made it really hard to determine whether there were any such shenanigans going on.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

I think it's a bit simpler than that, from what I can tell. As mentioned in the previous entry, there are two buildings next to each other - the 'main' building and an annex.

Tim was attacked in the main building and woke up in the dark. He found his camera on the floor and used the nightvision to find his way out. While resting outside, he saw Alex's flashlight searching for him, so he ran into the annex to hide.

Observer33
May 29, 2011
Man, that entry was so suspensful. I was almost out of my seat, hoping Tim gets away even though I knew what would happened thanks to the earlier seasons.

I have to give the guys props. They sure know how to pull off horror without showing much.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
Finally got to see the new entry, the audio distortion when Tim is sitting in the building actually made me jump. Also poor Tim, I felt so sorry for him when he sat there trying to keep his coughs quiet so Alex wouldn't hear him :ohdear:.

Also I'm wondering who was the face near the start of the video? Looked a hell of a lot like eyes reflecting the IR light from the camera.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
That coughing bit is probably my favorite "realistic" horror moment from any series. How terrifying a thought to be desperately trying to hide when a cough starts up that you can't stop no matter what.

nny_ix
Apr 26, 2006

What?

I'm making things interesting!

N. Senada posted:

That coughing bit is probably my favorite "realistic" horror moment from any series. How terrifying a thought to be desperately trying to hide when a cough starts up that you can't stop no matter what.

It made me almost uncomfortable watching Tim all wide eyed and trying to stifle back his coughs. The tension was amazing and though I really have no desire to watch it again, it did leave an impression on me.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

N. Senada posted:

And knowing that each cough completely betrays your position and there's someone you thought was your friend closing in and it's dark and you're hurt and aaaaaaargh it was honestly nerve wracking to watch. Even though I knew Tim would live because he's in later (chronological) entries, it was still scary. Probably my favourite update this season and easily one of the best overall.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

So far this season owns. I love the return to S1 style between the last entry and especially the jam session :allears: There's a LOT of poo poo to tie up and not a lot of time, though. It'll be interesting to see how they resolve it (and what they leave unresolved).

Most interesting to me right now is that, at the end of Season 2, I was 100% convinced Tim and Masky were good guys. Defined as working against The Operator and Alex, and with Jay. But then it seemed like Tim led Alex to the hospital on purpose. Could Tim really have been the bad guy all along?!? But THEN it seemed like Tim got blindsided by Alex's betrayal and the Operator showing up. And the Operator has potentially been stalking Alex since birth, if that one entry is to be believed.

We're nearing the end and still :iiam:

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Docjowles posted:

This is simultaneously my favourite and least favourite thing about this series, every answer we get feels important, but there's still a huge mystery and all these unanswered questions. I wonder if Tim's gonna keep pretending he has no idea what happened in the past with Alex or if he'll actually open up when faced with some evidence. I hope we don't get another "Jay talks with Tim for a while and then some text" update, the last one was not all that interesting.

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

Docjowles posted:

Most interesting to me right now is that, at the end of Season 2, I was 100% convinced Tim and Masky were good guys. Defined as working against The Operator and Alex, and with Jay. But then it seemed like Tim led Alex to the hospital on purpose. Could Tim really have been the bad guy all along?!? But THEN it seemed like Tim got blindsided by Alex's betrayal and the Operator showing up. And the Operator has potentially been stalking Alex since birth, if that one entry is to be believed.

My random crazy theory is that both Alex and Masky/Tim are working for/with/influenced by the Operator but are different "factions" who were initially unaware of each other and are in conflict (Alex is pro-crazy murder, Tim/Mask Dudes are pro-being creepers). So both are bad, and Jay is totally screwed.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Zelmel posted:

My random crazy theory is that both Alex and Masky/Tim are working for/with/influenced by the Operator but are different "factions".

The big twist at the end: The Operator is actually the Announcer from Team Fortress 2. :stare:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Which would mean the Operator is also GlaDOS and this is just a big open-world Aperture Science experiment :tinfoil:

E: Reminds me that I'm still disappointed Slendy wasn't in Cabin in the Woods :(

segoli
Oct 23, 2010

But of course, from a thief's perspective, the best kind of ladder is the rope-ladder. A step-ladder is much too heavy to carry around, after all.
Well, Cabin in the Woods was actually basically done being made about 2 years ago, so if it were made today there'd be a good chance he would be. Too bad there's not really any possibility of a sequel now.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Commissar posted:

Also I'm wondering who was the face near the start of the video? Looked a hell of a lot like eyes reflecting the IR light from the camera.

No lie, I've been hoping for a "holy crap guys, that was actually unintended and we had no idea it was there." post from them.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

RickVoid posted:

No lie, I've been hoping for a "holy crap guys, that was actually unintended and we had no idea it was there." post from them.

Never know, it might turn out that they were planning to use it in a future TTA vid and Jay just didn't get out of the way fast enough.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fullroundaction posted:

Which would mean the Operator is also GlaDOS and this is just a big open-world Aperture Science experiment :tinfoil:

E: Reminds me that I'm still disappointed Slendy wasn't in Cabin in the Woods :(

He'd have totally fit in there, doubtlessly.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Troy posted a brief blog update. Next entry is partway done, maybe look for it late this week? Also they switched editing software from Sony Vegas to Adobe Premiere, which some of you geeks probably care about. I haven't used editing software since, oh, 2002 (when I used Premiere 6.5 to put together an awesometerrible zombie movie with friends) and Premiere made me want to burn people's houses down on a daily basis. Wonder if it's improved, or if Vegas was just even worse :v:

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I normally use Premiere, but I tried out Vegas for a while because of Troy. It's got some pretty glaring faults, but overall I thought the workflow for editing and adding in simple effects and transitions was cleaner/more intuitive than Premiere. Also it uses up a heck of a lot less resources. If you don't care about interacting with the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite (ughn) it's not a bad piece of software in my opinion. :spergin:

Related: was reading through House of Leaves again and got an idea for Beerboyz. I'll see if I can get ~*my girlfriend*~ to hold a camera sometime this week.

E: VVV In my experience it ran way quicker while not rendering/exporting. But that's just observational, I don't have hard data or anything.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 14, 2012

nny_ix
Apr 26, 2006

What?

I'm making things interesting!

fullroundaction posted:

I normally use Premiere, but I tried out Vegas for a while because of Troy. It's got some pretty glaring faults, but overall I thought the workflow for editing and adding in simple effects and transitions was cleaner/more intuitive than Premiere. Also it uses up a heck of a lot less resources. If you don't care about interacting with the rest of the Adobe Creative Suite (ughn) it's not a bad piece of software in my opinion. :spergin:

Vegas is light on resources? goddamn, my laptop absolutely chokes on it. I'm going to try it with my desktop that doesn't have quite the specs but might have better luck.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Using Sony Vegas is like making a deal with the Devil: If you don't fall for its many schemes and tricks you will end up with something pretty drat good.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
New totheark.

There's a flashframe, but so as not to spoil, here's a link to the flashframe.

Zoneman
Sep 22, 2009
New totheark video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whW2eRRh5J8

I managed to capture the quick frame at around 0:32. Here it is:
http://i.imgur.com/MBuis.jpg

e:f,b

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

curiousTerminal posted:

New totheark.

There's a flashframe, but so as not to spoil, here's a link to the flashframe.

Well, that could mean Alex or Tim are watching the channel. I'm gonna say it's most likely Alex, which means he survived the gunshot at the end of Season 2. Now the question is, if Alex is watching, why hasn't he come after Tim and Jay yet?

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

He may still be bedridden, F5ing the hell out of Jay's twitter.

Clarington Grey
Dec 4, 2007

Subtle but delightful.
My question is, if "He's Watching", how does totheark know this, and what does he/they intend to do about it, or expect Jay to do about it?

Maybe this message wasn't meant for Jay at all. Maybe it was meant for Tim, to jog his memory and call him to action, kind of like the bat-signal? "Dude, he's watching. Get your mask."

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
All that footage looked pretty vintage. I wonder if it's vintage found footage from that school/asylum/whatever it was, when it was actively in use.

Or maybe I'm just being too hopeful. :v:

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Clarington Grey posted:

My question is, if "He's Watching", how does totheark know this, and what does he/they intend to do about it, or expect Jay to do about it?

Maybe this message wasn't meant for Jay at all. Maybe it was meant for Tim, to jog his memory and call him to action, kind of like the bat-signal? "Dude, he's watching. Get your mask."

I'm leaning towards this too, TTA is probably a little confused as to why Tim's just chilling with Jay rather than trying to fight Alex.

Edit: Tim is not trying to fight Tim, unless there's a twist none of us saw coming.

sweetroy fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 15, 2012

Timo
Jul 12, 2001

Suit up!

@marblehornets posted:

Meeting with Tim tomorrow to ask if he can show me the abandoned hospital from the previous entries.

Oh, it is on.
https://twitter.com/#!/marblehornets/status/202593990686687232

Clarington Grey
Dec 4, 2007

Subtle but delightful.
I'm curious about what Jay expects to find there, assuming Tim even tells him where to go. Surely, from everything he's seen, he realizes that going back there would be extremely dangerous.

This might be a ballsy move, but suppose Jay just sits down with Tim tomorrow and talks straight with him -- shows him the previous entries, Tim in the mask, Alex hunting Tim, etc. "Look, this is what I've uncovered. I'm looking for Alex. I want to know everything you know. How much do you remember?"

It's also likely that Jay is walking into a trap, but that's par for the course.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Clarington Grey posted:

I'm curious about what Jay expects to find there, assuming Tim even tells him where to go. Surely, from everything he's seen, he realizes that going back there would be extremely dangerous.

This might be a ballsy move, but suppose Jay just sits down with Tim tomorrow and talks straight with him -- shows him the previous entries, Tim in the mask, Alex hunting Tim, etc. "Look, this is what I've uncovered. I'm looking for Alex. I want to know everything you know. How much do you remember?"

It's also likely that Jay is walking into a trap, but that's par for the course.

I would absolutely love it if Tim was like "Oh poo poo, I'll help you however I can, there is obviously some poo poo going down here" and helped him with zero motives.

Real guess: Tim is gonna agree to take him, Slendy will show up a few times, if we're lucky Alex is gonna show up and smack them around a bit. I really hope they do something out of the ordinary here because I will be disappointed if it plays out like this.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

That drat Satyr posted:

All that footage looked pretty vintage. I wonder if it's vintage found footage from that school/asylum/whatever it was, when it was actively in use.

Or maybe I'm just being too hopeful. :v:

I'd really like to know where they get their vintage movie footage from. Do film students have to watch dozens of old films so they can recall specific ones to use in the event they need some public domain film reels to use in a project? Or do they just look through archives till they see something suitable?

Also, which databases would those be?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I'd really like to know where they get their vintage movie footage from. Do film students have to watch dozens of old films so they can recall specific ones to use in the event they need some public domain film reels to use in a project? Or do they just look through archives till they see something suitable?

Also, which databases would those be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_in_the_public_domain_in_the_United_States

Seeing as Marble Hornets is now a series that is intended to be sold to the audience, I assume that Troy and Joseph are restricted to using movies that are in the public domain. If they can find a torrent/mirror/DVD of one of these movies somewhere and then use them in the entries without repercussions.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
New tweet: https://twitter.com/#!/marblehornets/status/202840159308365825

@marblehornets posted:

Back from meeting with Tim. We're going out to the abandoned hospital this Friday. Still acting like I want to finish Alex's movie.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

@marblehornets posted:

Still acting like I want to finish Alex's movie.

I wonder if they're going to pull an Entry 52 and reveal that Tim has been reading the Marble Hornets twitter all along. :v:

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies

JordanKai posted:

I wonder if they're going to pull an Entry 52 and reveal that Tim has been reading the Marble Hornets twitter all along. :v:

That would actually make sense. I can't see a young man in this day and age not knowing what Twitter is and not thinking "This weirdo I used to know is kinda stalking me, maybe I should google some stuff and see if anything turns up."

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I don't think Tim has time between all the smoking and doctor visits.

MortonTheCranium
Nov 25, 2004

We're cousins. (bros)

Pope Mobile posted:

I don't think Tim has time between all the smoking and doctor visits.

Maybe not between, but during.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

e: i'm an idiot

Calef fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilRobot
Sep 27, 2001

Punks Is Hippies
Y'know, the more I think about it, the way Tim and Jay are acting really doesn't make sense. Unless it's going to be a major plot point that Tim and Masky are two completely separate personalities, and Jay's memory loss is so severe he barely even remembers entries that he's posted, why didn't Jay just come out an say "Hey, thanks for saving Jessica and I from Alex, but I have no idea what happened to Jessica now. Do you have any clues?"

We know Tim/Masky is at least one of the people who post videos as TTA, and we know TTA knows what Jay is up to on Youtube, so it should follow suit he knows about the Twitter account, thus why wouldn't Tim also know? Hell, it would make perfect sense that the "See You Soon" posted on the last video was just Tim's creepface way of saying "Yeah, I know you're probably going to call me about that abandoned school thingy, so I'll see ya in a few."

I feel like in the next entry or two the subject of them both knowing why they're doing any of this has got to come up.

• Locked thread