Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ligur, is the guy on the right doing a sidekick?

Is throwing the rear arms backwards for balance part of prescribed savate technique, or is it up to the savateur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ligur posted:

I know some older boxers who also blocked and taugh to with the forehead. A friend who was learned to do so just started slipping after walking out from the gym with a headache two consecutive months... Some of them walk a little weird and speak slurred today.

Yeap. This is why I'll never do boxing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Or just don't train to block with your face...

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

BirdOfPlay posted:

Man dude, that's really not cool. Why no love for victories above all else? I'm assuming that seedings were done by indicator or hits landed, based on the runner-up tying with you (or, gasp, overtaking you).

Double KOs are heavily penalized, to discourage people from blindly flailing. Which I support in theory, but in this instance, it just served to make qualifying undoable if the other guy is being an idiot. Wouldn't have minded as much if they didn't add a fighter to the pool after I'd already qualified by beating up everyone, rather ticked me off.

quote:

I'm sure it don't help to hear, but it happens everywhere. At the last tourney I went to, one of my teammates forced the assigned ref for pools to only monitor the bouts. A fencer not in the match was then allowed to do the actual directing.

Yeah, I know. Last minute our group realized the judges hadn't received any training at all, and we tried to organize a few quick bouts so they could at least identify the proper hits (double, afterblow(single tempo after hit), hit), which resulted in the judges not paying attention and wandering off, then proceeding to gently caress it all up.

Some fight videos surfaced! Here's the fight my teammember had, the one with the longsword, versus one of the better sword & buckler fighters out there. Should have been over after the first 2 hits, fighting to a 2 point advantage, instead the movie is 10 minutes long. Otherwise a good fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JquPECtXJcA&feature=share

I could have sworn I saw a vid of the finals as well, but can't seem to find it right now.

Also, here's a silly demo of stagefighting for some kids by technoviking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh40iOzMYXw&feature=share

quote:

My first instinct is the your elbow's too far outside. Also, you don't look like you solid planted or something, your stance just looks a little loose. And, finally, you've got a stupid look on your face that screams "Yep, I blew that one!"

On the money. Elbow is way too far outside, very lazy stance, point is *gone*. I basically just took a whack at the thing, instead of making a blow and keeping my sword ready for follow-up attacks and defending. But at least I look silly.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I'm sure that helps, but the "leaving training with headaches" bit is something I've heard from almost every person I've ever met that used to box, so for my part, it still stands!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Well a headache is really just your brain telling you it's sore, no big deal

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

If blocking with my head is good enough for Rocky it's good enough for me!

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

mewse posted:

Well a headache is really just your brain telling you it's sore, no big deal

It's DOMS in your brain.

mewse
May 2, 2006

DOBS

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Ligur posted:

I know some older boxers who also blocked and taugh to with the forehead. A friend who was learned to do so just started slipping after walking out from the gym with a headache two consecutive months... Some of them walk a little weird and speak slurred today.

People seriously do that in gloved boxing?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Not in amateur boxing, you lose points

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

Ligur, is the guy on the right doing a sidekick?

Is throwing the rear arms backwards for balance part of prescribed savate technique, or is it up to the savateur?

He is doing a chasse lateral figuré - a sidekick to the highline, the head, yes. That is old skool Savate. They did throw the the other arm "back" for "balance" or whatever, and the other guy - professionally, is leaning back to avoid the strike to throw a "coup de bied bas" - a low kick to shin/foot - to counter. Picture perfect old Savate.

95% of that kind of the technique has been filtered out of Savate since the 80s. It's much more compact and uses a "high" boxing stance today much like kickboxing IMO. Flourishes like that did not fare well with the emerging kickboxers. Today a Savate guy can throw the same kick as the guy on the right, but he would not lean back and would have both of his hands in a boxing guard instead. We trained that today.

Xguard86 posted:

Yes this works :) One style: to absorb punches to your head, jaw tucked, and tire him out/hurt his hand and then smash him. Other style: slip and evade him until enemy tired, not absorb damage and not get braindead, and then smash him. Although one of the best slippers - Ali - is braindead anyway because he had so many hard, hard fights.

NovemberMike posted:

People seriously do that in gloved boxing?

No - but yes.

You can figure it out like this: if you know your opponent is skilled, maybe more than you are and would land more, and more boxers are skilled than those who can take a punch AND are skilled, you can take one to your forehead (hopefully only the forehead...) from a skilled guy and rip an overhand of your own to their face HARD while they do this. And throw them of their game because they now feel that if they hit you, they will also get hurt. Right?

I mean a part of boxing is to take a hit to land a hit. Look at it like this: your opponent has a speed and skill game but is also uncomfortable with getting punched at... so why not absord a few of his, if you get the chance to really whack them with your simultaneous counter - and completely put them of their game. Then you don't have to absord any more strikes because they are too afraid to commit more of their best shots and you'll have a field day.

That's one way to look at it. But I don't think any modern boxers encourage "getting hit in the face" to overcome your foe. But the above is not without merit. It's just that these old school boxers whose game was to absorb, absorb, absorb and then smash your punch-tired opponent when you begin your own assault tendh to speeechh a lietthle laek thsssse.

edit2:

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeap. This is why I'll never do boxing.

Boxing is beautiful and elegant. It learns you the TWITCH'N'SLIP reflex like no other and the pair training is the best I know - with BJJ. You don't have to get into a "dahuurrr punch in forehead" type of training to "do boxing". Like said above by a few of us, you can learn to slip, evade, move sideways, do all that wonderful stuff. It's closer to science of BJJ than you realize, the actions and body mechanics are just different. Boxing can be fluid, safe, and still very rewarding and actually useful to many, many things. (Apart - but of course as well - from punching someone repeatedly. Say, today I slipped a very heavy headkick with a basic slip I learned for a headhook you dig?)

Ligur fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 16, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ali was also known for fighting with his hands down and using foot speed and his crazy reflexes .

I'm not good enough to judge, but I know no one has said, "hey get those hands lower" to me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

God I'm loving loving Muay Thai more and more. Feels good to hear that whack on the bag as my technique gets better.

Just wish my shins would hurry the gently caress up and toughen up. I find myself holding back because of the pain sometimes.

These shorts are pretty sweet, I must say. Found them on ebay. $20 shipped, not bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRX-Muay-Th...#ht_1565wt_1396

Who loving knows what the front part says. Probably "I'm Gay"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Christoff posted:

Who loving knows what the front part says. Probably "I'm Gay"

It says Muay Thai in Thai script. Pretty much standard on Thai boxing shorts.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
How easily do those Savate shoes cause cuts? It just seems like a needlessly dangerous version of long pants kickboxing. The only difference as far as I can tell is that you're allowed to kick the legs, but not with the shin aka pointless legkicks.

I'm not a boxer, but I can't picture taking shots to the forehead to land your own as a legit tactic outside of bareknuckle bullshit. Closing distance billygoat style like B-Hop makes sense because punches to the top of your head won't snap your neck back.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

I'm interested in starting Muay Thai later this year, but I'm a skinny unfit goon (5' 9.5", 135lb) and I've heard that it's pretty intense. While the club I want to join offers beginner classes, I'm not confident enough in my fitness to dive in without some sort of prior exercise routine, like weightlifting or whatever. I also have negligible experience in other martial arts (about 3 months of Karate, and 3 years of Judo when I was about 7).

My question to the more experienced is: should I bite the bullet and go to a beginner session, or start working out before I do so?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Start now, they'll work you hard and it will be hard but no one will expect you do to anything past what you can handle. Like if everyone else is doing ten pushups and you can only do two, then you do two.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

Ali was also known for fighting with his hands down and using foot speed and his crazy reflexes.

Ali was also infamous for letting his sparring partners beat the almighty gently caress out of him to improve his pain tolerance, especially in his rope-a-dope later years.

Ali's one-of-a-kind chin was a curse more than anything else. It let him get away with poo poo that would have killed most guys.

e: Even Rocky Marciano was a better defensive fighter than those "take it on the forehead" guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0yHvw-vW0

Julio Cesar Fatass fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 17, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Purple Prince posted:

I'm interested in starting Muay Thai later this year, but I'm a skinny unfit goon (5' 9.5", 135lb)

Assuming you don't have a massive torso and t-rex arms, you have like the perfect body type for Muay Thai

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Purple Prince posted:

My question to the more experienced is: should I bite the bullet and go to a beginner session, or start working out before I do so?
You don't get fit to do martial arts, you get fit by doing martial arts.

Is that in the op? It should be in the op.

I started 4-ish years ago and i went from skinny-as-hell 64kg to much less skinny 70kg, even with a completely lovely diet.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Purple Prince posted:

Just go. It'll get you in shape and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nthing the "just go" suggestion. Start training and start eating, you're lucky you don't have a bunch of flab to trim off your frame starting out.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

mewse posted:

Nthing the "just go" suggestion. Start training and start eating, you're lucky you don't have a bunch of flab to trim off your frame starting out.

Just don't eat right before your first class and throw up. like I did.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Purple Prince posted:

I'm interested in starting Muay Thai later this year, but I'm a skinny unfit goon (5' 9.5", 135lb) and I've heard that it's pretty intense. While the club I want to join offers beginner classes, I'm not confident enough in my fitness to dive in without some sort of prior exercise routine, like weightlifting or whatever. I also have negligible experience in other martial arts (about 3 months of Karate, and 3 years of Judo when I was about 7).

The point is to push yourself, to get better, faster, and stronger. The earlier you start, the earlier you will improve. DO IT!

FWIW, I thought I was in pretty good shape before starting myself. I went to the gym 3 times a week and lifted, did light cardio and was pretty healthy/fit. These things did not actually help me in class in any way on my first day.

Just because you can bench 250lbs doesn't mean you can do more push-ups or punch/kick better. My cardio that I thought was good was abysmal - if anything I had a harder time due to the extra muscle weight that my body wasn't used to having to carry around while doing footwork and throwing kicks. I also didn't know how to breath properly ( still don't really ).

However, I think most people would say it's a good idea to do both.

Point is - you don't need to be at a certain fitness level to start, your body will just naturally change as long as you keep it up. I've become much more lean in just 3 months and I haven't even been trying, it's like my body is being sculpted or something.

Also:

Stabbing Spork posted:

Just don't eat right before your first class and throw up. like I did.

I personally make sure I eat 1 hour before going to class, puking sucks.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I usually grab a clif bar about 30 minutes before class. Low blood sugar is a showstopper for me.

Had two high schoolers rolling against each other at the gym tonight. We had one of the advanced students subbing for our usual instructor and I guess he didn't keep a close enough eye on them, because one of the kids ended up with a popped shoulder from a kimura sweep.

You guys who teach: How do you get young guys to roll softer?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

You guys who teach: How do you get young guys to roll softer?

This is more for boxing but when people freak the gently caress out and start going nuts and throwing power shots, I stop the action and say "Hey. Chill out. We're not working to kill each other here."

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

CaptainScraps posted:

This is more for boxing but when people freak the gently caress out and start going nuts and throwing power shots, I stop the action and say "Hey. Chill out. We're not working to kill each other here."
Pretty much this.

Try to avoid having beginners work with each other or otherwise lower ranks that have a certain energy to them. Or, let them go hog wild on an experienced person and let the experienced person be chill until the young guy is gassed and eventually they'll figure it out (as long as you tell them what just happened).

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Yeah, it sounds like it was a perfect storm of having a bunch of new kids show up and an inexperienced teacher running the class. I'll do what I can to keep an eye out from now on and keep the headstrong guys from wrecking each other.

I felt sick seeing a 14-year-old kid go down with a blown out shoulder. That's the sort of injury you never come back from 100%, and he's only starting his career.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Yesterday I learned that spending an entire 7 minutes being choked and pinned by someone who weighs twice as much as what your strength can reasonably bear is not a good experience. It is, however, one hell of a conditioning exercise...

mewse
May 2, 2006

I felt sick seeing a 14-year-old kid go down with a blown out shoulder. That's the sort of injury you never come back from 100%, and he's only starting his career.

What the gently caress! Did his shoulder get hit while he was throwing a hook?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

They were rolling. Unless I am the one mixing stories.

If they go too wild put them to work drilling until they're tired enough to roll.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Xguard86 posted:

They were rolling. Unless I am the one mixing stories.

Yeah, it was a roll. One kid locked the other in a sloppy kimura and tried to sweep him. The other kid just tried to muscle out of it until his shoulder went blooey. e: I was on the other end of the mat, so I'm just piecing together what I heard.

That's a great idea re: drills, too. I'll talk with the instructor about it.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Oh, ok. I saw a kid get his shoulder popped out at the golden gloves because he was throwing something loopy and the other guys straight punch connected right with the shoulder. It looked pretty bad. I'd be upset if I saw something like that happened in sparring.

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Yeah, it sounds like it was a perfect storm of having a bunch of new kids show up and an inexperienced teacher running the class. I'll do what I can to keep an eye out from now on and keep the headstrong guys from wrecking each other.

We had something similar happen at my old gym. Two younger guys rolling without supervision and one of them got his elbow badly dislocated to the point where he didn't return to jiu-jitsu. Good kid, just going hard because teenagers don't know that they have limits, and white belts don't know when they're being spastic. The lack of proper supervision that led to it happening was one of the reasons I left the gym. I was teaching a class or 2 a week, and it hurt watching a student I'd been following closely get injured, and then have the owner blame everybody but himself.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fec32bOLvLw&feature=youtu.be

One of the better Thai boxers when it comes to hands (still pretty bad compared to pure western boxing, but still...)

Polyrhythmic Panda
Apr 8, 2010

Guilty posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fec32bOLvLw&feature=youtu.be

One of the better Thai boxers when it comes to hands (still pretty bad compared to pure western boxing, but still...)

I like how he mixes it up with that straight right to the body, really underutilized punch IMO.

edit: that exchange at 5:00 is Don Frye as hell.

Polyrhythmic Panda fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 18, 2012

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Polyrhythmic Panda posted:

I like how he mixes it up with that straight right to the body, really underutilized punch IMO.

edit: that exchange at 5:00 is Don Frye as hell.

Yeah, I always forget how sapping body shots are and never use them enough. But enough shots to the body will exhaust anyone, which is perfect for his low kicks.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The defense of the Thais he's fighting is hilarious. Not impressed by his hands, but those angry lowkicks look really gross when they land.

I need help countering fast teeps, I just can't close distance on this one guy who became really good at those after spending 6 months in Thailand. My gameplan is usually to feint, get into boxing range, throw a combination and finish with lowkick. I just can't get into a boxing fight with this guy because he'll manage to hit my knee or bellybutton 90% of the time so it turns into a traditional MT style kicking match which I'm not as good at as him.

If I use my knee to counter them, I have a hard time closing the distance afterwards. My usual counter was to elbow the toes, but he's content on simply stopping my forward motion by hitting me below the belly button (long torso so I can't touch him there). I've never been tought how to properly catch kicks, so I haven't tried that one yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Paul Pot posted:

The defense of the Thais he's fighting is hilarious. Not impressed by his hands, but those angry lowkicks look really gross when they land.

I need help countering fast teeps, I just can't close distance on this one guy who became really good at those after spending 6 months in Thailand. My gameplan is usually to feint, get into boxing range, throw a combination and finish with lowkick. I just can't get into a boxing fight with this guy because he'll manage to hit my knee or bellybutton 90% of the time so it turns into a traditional MT style kicking match which I'm not as good at as him.

If I use my knee to counter them, I have a hard time closing the distance afterwards. My usual counter was to elbow the toes, but he's content on simply stopping my forward motion by hitting me below the belly button (long torso so I can't touch him there). I've never been tought how to properly catch kicks, so I haven't tried that one yet.

I guess you have to learn how to catch them. I got really good at catching kicks because as someone who came from boxing to MT, getting kept out of punching range by teeps sucks like Hell!!!! Once you catch a few and sweep them on their rear end really hard they usually think twice about being so teep happy

• Locked thread