Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

YourAverageJoe posted:

The biggest concern in the other thread, really, was not to make it too obvious and stand out from the setting. An NPC named "Quarex", as cool as the guy is, would stand out like a sore thumb.
While it is true that a lot of people had "normal" names in Wasteland, there are plenty of post-apopportunities for a name like Quarex to come up, too. Even if most of them are tribal/bandit gang-related. Though I imagine if Quarex were in the game, the chances of that name belonging to a robot are about 95%.

I basically think anything short of "KewlGuy23" could be worked pretty well into this particular game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

njark posted:

weird the email you sent ended up in spam. make sure you guys check there.
Thanks for this, I would have missed it otherwise.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Didn't get an email.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Levantine posted:

I had to download it then open with my browser to do it. Works though.

Okay, it works now. I had downloaded it while it was in spam the first time and it didn't work then, but worked when it was in my inbox. Must be part of gmail's anti-spam policies.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Didn't work for me so I just ended up paypalling the money.

Posts pictures of what a 50lb box of shirts looks like.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Casimir Radon posted:

Didn't work for me so I just ended up paypalling the money.

Posts pictures of what a 50lb box of shirts looks like.

ok:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Okay, it works now. I had downloaded it while it was in spam the first time and it didn't work then, but worked when it was in my inbox. Must be part of gmail's anti-spam policies.

Yes, I also had to make sure it was downloaded to my desktop before I could click the button. Good on Google really, probably prevents a lot of otherwise malicious stuff.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.

YourAverageJoe posted:

An NPC named "Quarex", as cool as the guy is, would stand out like a sore thumb.
Quarex sounds like a perfectly cromulant Wasteland name to me.

Also, t-shirt payment sent!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
It's so cool to see something I designed on a hundred shirts and people clamoring to get them... makes me all :3

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

PSI-5 posted:

cromulant

God I love this word, I wish I had more opportunities to use it. Also shirts look awesome, sorry I didn't order one but I would inevitably destroy it within a day of getting it like I seem to with most nice clothes I buy :(

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Money sent. Had to use paypal as I couldn't get that amazon button working.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Paypal money sent as well, looking forward to being the gooniest goon on the block with one of these babies!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

So, with news that EA's Origin will waive distribution fees for Kickstarter games, Brian Fargo came in public to say Wasteland 2 will be on Origin:

"I have had a long relationship with EA and it is great to see them recognise and support the crowd-funded games model," he said.

"Having Origin waive their distribution fees for 90 days for fan funded games is a major economic bonus for small developers. We look forward to bringing Wasteland 2 to the Origin audience."

I hope that doesn't change the fact that I'll still get a Steam key for the game I helped fund <:mad:>

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

So, with news that EA's Origin will waive distribution fees for Kickstarter games, Brian Fargo came in public to say Wasteland 2 will be on Origin:

"I have had a long relationship with EA and it is great to see them recognise and support the crowd-funded games model," he said.

"Having Origin waive their distribution fees for 90 days for fan funded games is a major economic bonus for small developers. We look forward to bringing Wasteland 2 to the Origin audience."

I hope that doesn't change the fact that I'll still get a Steam key for the game I helped fund <:mad:>

I don't think they're allowed to change the Kickstarter terms and still keep the cash, are they? I honestly doubt they'd back out on a Steam key now.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
This dude really needs a PR filter, he should know better than to worry people like that. He should have made it clear this is "in addition" and not "exclusive".

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Yeah, I also hope they don't start getting stupid ideas like just sticking with Origin to save costs. inXile would hardly be the first company who made a game I wanted to buy but didn't because they tied themselves to a platform I don't want to support.

I haven't used Origin since I stopped playing ME3, and when SimCity comes out I plan to minimize its use in much the same way I shun Microsoft's GFWL. Given the choice, I'll always stick with Steam, if for nothing else than them having a far, far better track record than EA.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I sent my payment and replied to your e-mail with the shirt size I ordered Raging Boner.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

AxeManiac posted:

This dude really needs a PR filter, he should know better than to worry people like that. He should have made it clear this is "in addition" and not "exclusive".

In fairness to Fargo, anyone with even the tiniest smidgen of common sense ought to realize that.

But I suppose this is the internet, so...

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Saoshyant posted:

"I have had a long relationship with EA"

Oh, how tunes change. It wasn't long ago he was making GBS threads on the entire traditional publishing model. We don't need publishers etc. Oh well, whatever. As long as I still get my DRM-Free copy, Fargo can swindle any deal he pleases.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Xik posted:

Oh, how tunes change. It wasn't long ago he was making GBS threads on the entire traditional publishing model. We don't need publishers etc. Oh well, whatever. As long as I still get my DRM-Free copy, Fargo can swindle any deal he pleases.

Did his tune really change though?

quote:

I have had a long relationship with EA

Could mean any number of things. I actually thought there was just a hint of frost in the release. Honestly, the game was likely to show up on a bunch of distribution platforms. It'll probably be on Gamersgate and Impulse and such. There's no reason not to sell it at any store that will carry it.

In this instance EA is acting entirely as a distributor or point of sale, no different from Walmart or Best Buy, not as a publisher in any capacity.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Fintilgin posted:

In fairness to Fargo, anyone with even the tiniest smidgen of common sense ought to realize that.

But I suppose this is the internet, so...

And in all fairness, it's Brian Fargo, a man known not for making good decisions. But I suppose acknowledging this would get in the way of your witty reply, so...

I don't think he will change the KS terms, but I would be pretty mad if he did out of a sense of convenience.

vvvv true enough. We are still a year away from seeing anything come out of this, anyway.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 19, 2012

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Saoshyant posted:

And in all fairness, it's Brian Fargo, a man known not for making good decisions. But I suppose acknowledging this would get in the way of your witty reply, so...

Yeah, but 'not making good decisions' is light years and orders of magnitude away from horrifying every single backer and breaking his promises by dropping all Steam support, all DRM free copies, and signing some insane exclusive distro deal with EA in exchange for 90 days of distribution fees.

That's like literal brain damage. It's incomprehensible to the point that I was actually startled that anyone would get that out of the press release.

In fairness to the internet though, we have been hosed over enough times to make anyone cynical, so... \/:)\/

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
He said in one of the new interviews that their goal is to release it on all digital distribution platforms that want to release it, or something to that effect. There is no cause for alarm, citizens.

Xik posted:

I understand why this makes sense, but as a diligent Brian Fargo Scholar, I can tell you that he actually speaks semi-politely about Electronic Arts on a regular basis. Apparently if Electronic Arts had really wanted, they could have caused a stink about reusing any of the "intellectual property elements" from Wasteland in the sequel, like, you know, any of the locations and characters, but they have given him free reign to go nuts.

Or something like that. I know he said that he has been pleased with how helpful they have been, with the subtext of "compared to basically every other publisher ever."

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Fintilgin posted:

They really should start calling it uncommon sense.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Also in fairness to Fargo, when he says he has a long relationship with EA, he means the company basically owes its success to Interplay, which was kind of his deal until someone bought it from him and then fired him.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quarex posted:

I understand why this makes sense, but as a diligent Brian Fargo Scholar, I can tell you that he actually speaks semi-politely about Electronic Arts on a regular basis. Apparently if Electronic Arts had really wanted, they could have caused a stink about reusing any of the "intellectual property elements" from Wasteland in the sequel, like, you know, any of the locations and characters, but they have given him free reign to go nuts.

Or something like that. I know he said that he has been pleased with how helpful they have been, with the subtext of "compared to basically every other publisher ever."

This and the fact that he's now the owner of the Wasteland IP in any capacity. I was surprised when I find out EA were actually willing to part with it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Rinkles posted:

This and the fact that he's now the owner of the Wasteland IP in any capacity. I was surprised when I find out EA were actually willing to part with it.
Well, that has more to do with the fact that Electronic Arts let the trademark lapse or however it is that you say that, even though they maintained the publishing rights, which is just one way of many to understand how strange the world of intellectual property really is.

My proudest Wikipedia moment was when I correctedit:ed the erroneous assumption on the Wasteland 2 page that Brian Fargo had bought the rights from Electronic Arts. It is all downhillpedia from here.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 19, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quarex posted:

Well, that has more to do with the fact that Electronic Arts let the trademark lapse or however it is that you say that, even though they maintained the publishing rights, which is just one way of many to understand how strange the world of intellectual property really is.

My proudest Wikipedia moment was when I correct the erroneous assumption on the Wasteland 2 page that Brian Fargo had bought the rights from Electronic Arts. It is all downhillpedia from here.

Despite knowing better, and despite it being as great as it is for what it is, I admit I sometimes forget it isn't an all knowing oracle of truth. Thanks for correcting me.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

T-shirt payment sent. I also couldn't get the Amazon button to work, so I used Paypal.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

chiefnewo posted:

T-shirt payment sent. I also couldn't get the Amazon button to work, so I used Paypal.

Same here, RB; check your inbox :)

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
12 hours into taking payments, 46 out of 86 people have stepped up. That's impressive.

I've already recouped my up front costs, and so shipping will be no issue at all (once I get everything lined up). A few people gave me no address when they paid through PayPal, so I guess they think I'm a psychic or something. I'll contact them via telepathy email so they can inform me of where they live.

(I'm sitting here typing this while wearing my Wasteland 2 shirt)

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

RagingBoner posted:

12 hours into taking payments, 46 out of 86 people have stepped up. That's impressive.

I've already recouped my up front costs, and so shipping will be no issue at all (once I get everything lined up). A few people gave me no address when they paid through PayPal, so I guess they think I'm a psychic or something. I'll contact them via telepathy email so they can inform me of where they live.

I'll wear my telepathic emission amplifier helmet to make sure I'll properly receive your message from whichever plane off existence you currently reside.

Also I'll probably email you because I am dumb.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RagingBoner posted:

You got my message/payment, right? Just wanting to make sure.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

CommissarMega posted:

You got my message/payment, right? Just wanting to make sure.

What are your (real) initials?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RagingBoner posted:

What are your (real) initials?

U.M.

Um Mo for a little more accuracy.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

RagingBoner posted:

I thought Paypal automatically included the address info with the payment, so I didn't bother putting it in the message section. I'll email you my info.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

To be honest, the EA deal is a obvious grab to try and get more of that sweet KS money, as while it does remove all costs (good) it only does so for 90 days, at which point I assume you either start paying or you get out.

The site also doesn't mention anything about exclusivity and the like, which EA is always big on.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

CommissarMega posted:

U.M.

Um Mo for a little more accuracy.

Yessir, you are good to go! :)

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RagingBoner posted:

Yessir, you are good to go! :)

HAHA, that's good to hear! :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hey Ragingboner, got any plans for unclaimed shirts?

• Locked thread