Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Maybe I was just using the wrong party setup, but Lorithia took me about 5 tries between multiple grinding sessions and Zanza only took me two, with no grinding in between attempts.

edit: I was level 72 when I first encountered the former, so that might help explain it.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I got through Lorithia with Shulk/Reyn/Melia on my first try, level 77-78. Liberal, well-timed use of Monado Armour and a heavily-armored Melia and Reyn kept them alive through much of the chaos. Why did I find it so easy?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Well I didn't have Monado Armor, for one.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've basically ignored sidequests through the game except for the typical "kill 10 bears and collect their skulls" quests that I just did on the way to do something else and I've had little trouble except for the Lava Cave and Egil in the Core because those have a shitton of elementals and constant minions respectively.

Now however, I have hit Lorithia, who takes those two amazing tastes and mixes them with environmental hazards my companions are too dumb to walk out of and my poor level 72 rear end seems to have smashed into a brick wall.

I'll finish you game, but my god you're not going to make it easy.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Just make sure you're well-gemmed for that fight and put a heavy damage dealer like Seven front and center.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm level 66 in Central Factory, and the game is starting to drag a bit. Most of the enemies in this area range from level 57 to 61, so I out-leveled many enemies and could thus avoid combat, but there are just enough enemies around my level that mean I have to fight. And the fights are decently challenging, I admit.

Melia is too fragile, so I switched to Reyn. I actually have barely played him at all - maybe even less than Riki. My group hasn't really got any good healing, which makes fighting hard. I also realized that Reyn's big 100% block ability isn't useful without someone to heal your injuries.

It's starting to drag. There have only been a handful of story scenes since leaving Fallen Arm, and the area is feeling really same-y.

I reached the control tower roof or something, and unlocked a laser fence. I went through, and there was a surprise boss fight against a pair of level 64's. That was tough, but I won, and I explored the alcoves they came out of. In one was a surprise unique. I ran away after it killed Seven and Melia and tried the other alcove which led to a new room... and another unique.

That was too much for tonight.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I apologize for not reading through the whole thread in advance. This particular question has not been answered in the past couple of pages.

I'm pretty early storywise in the game but have been doing a lot of sidequests. Two in particular that I just got at the same time in Colony 9 I want to make sure I am not missing something. I saved pretty recently so I just turned the game off when I got an unsatisfying conclusion to each of them. There's no real story spoilers here so I'm going to not use spoiler tags.

After I had Dean (found near the weapon research lab) fix some kid's trinket, he asks for a favor in return. He wants to date the single mom of the kid, Sonia. Sonia sends me on a fetch quest and then they go on a date, but Dean complains that it was a short date and when I check the affinity chart, Dean and Sonia just have a mutual respect and Sonia's daughter Lilliana hates her mom. I have to assume there's another quest in the future that patches up the whole situation but I really don't want a daughter to hate her mom just because Dean had to get his dick wet.

Then I have to get a love potion out of Tephra cave for some girl (Monika I think?) that works in the Weapon Research Lab at night. She just loooooves Erik but Erik plans to hump and dump her. Meanwhile I get a vision that some dude named Andreas stares over some body of water and pines for his one true love. I don't have an Andreas on my affinity chart so I have no idea where to find him. When I resolved this, Monika was so happy but Erik was telling me, a perfect stranger, that he was going to string her along a little longer. I have to assume that if you find this Andreas he has you give him the love potion so that he gets this shallow bitch but I don't know where to look.

Thanks for the spoilers guys! This game is great.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Not gonna bother spoiler-tagging this because it's basically early-game sidequesting stuff.

The little girl and her mom get patched up in the next quest in the series. Basically the girl sends you to find a memento of her dead dad and show it to her mom, at which point mom realizes that her daughter's all worried that she's moving on in life and might forget about dead dad. There's apparently some off-screen parenting to the tune of "I'll always remember your father but I'm also trying to move on in life and blahblahblah", and after that they're on good terms and mom and scientist are still dating.

This is not the only time when a quest midway through a series will make some of the related NPCs unhappy with each other, only to reconcile later on. (And to be fair, sometimes they don't reconcile. But usually they do: an endgame affinity chart after doing most or all of the quests has got an awful lot of positive links and only a few reds and oranges.)

As for Monica, Erik, and Andreas, you can either give it to Andreas - he patrols around the middle of the military district at night, by the by - or you can give it to Monica. If you give it to Monica, she hooks up with Erik and Andreas gets a very negative affinity link because he's heartbroken. If you give it to Andreas, he hooks up with Monica and Erik gets a milder negative affinity link because he didn't appreciate Monica until he lost her.

General rule of thumb is that NPCs tend to be better off if you do a quest than if you don't do a quest. Another general rule of thumb is that there's either a. one solution that's very obvious about working out better, or b. no solution is really "better" at all, so you should just go with your gut. With Andreas and Erik, the visions and subsequent dialogue have pros and cons to choosing each of them.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Vil posted:

Not gonna bother spoiler-tagging this because it's basically early-game sidequesting stuff.

The little girl and her mom get patched up in the next quest in the series. Basically the girl sends you to find a memento of her dead dad and show it to her mom, at which point mom realizes that her daughter's all worried that she's moving on in life and might forget about dead dad. There's apparently some off-screen parenting to the tune of "I'll always remember your father but I'm also trying to move on in life and blahblahblah", and after that they're on good terms and mom and scientist are still dating.

This is not the only time when a quest midway through a series will make some of the related NPCs unhappy with each other, only to reconcile later on. (And to be fair, sometimes they don't reconcile. But usually they do: an endgame affinity chart after doing most or all of the quests has got an awful lot of positive links and only a few reds and oranges.)

As for Monica, Erik, and Andreas, you can either give it to Andreas - he patrols around the middle of the military district at night, by the by - or you can give it to Monica. If you give it to Monica, she hooks up with Erik and Andreas gets a very negative affinity link because he's heartbroken. If you give it to Andreas, he hooks up with Monica and Erik gets a milder negative affinity link because he didn't appreciate Monica until he lost her.

General rule of thumb is that NPCs tend to be better off if you do a quest than if you don't do a quest. Another general rule of thumb is that there's either a. one solution that's very obvious about working out better, or b. no solution is really "better" at all, so you should just go with your gut. With Andreas and Erik, the visions and subsequent dialogue have pros and cons to choosing each of them.

That last paragraph is exactly what I was looking for, I didn't want to be locked out of something because I didn't look hard enough. The fact that Andreas exists is made super obvious even if I haven't seen him yet, so I will look him up. Thanks a lot!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm level 66 in Central Factory, and the game is starting to drag a bit. Most of the enemies in this area range from level 57 to 61, so I out-leveled many enemies and could thus avoid combat, but there are just enough enemies around my level that mean I have to fight. And the fights are decently challenging, I admit.

Melia is too fragile, so I switched to Reyn. I actually have barely played him at all - maybe even less than Riki. My group hasn't really got any good healing, which makes fighting hard. I also realized that Reyn's big 100% block ability isn't useful without someone to heal your injuries.

It's starting to drag. There have only been a handful of story scenes since leaving Fallen Arm, and the area is feeling really same-y.

I reached the control tower roof or something, and unlocked a laser fence. I went through, and there was a surprise boss fight against a pair of level 64's. That was tough, but I won, and I explored the alcoves they came out of. In one was a surprise unique. I ran away after it killed Seven and Melia and tried the other alcove which led to a new room... and another unique.

That was too much for tonight.

Are you running agility gems on everybody? Because with a Shulk/Dunban/Seven set up, everybody agility'd to the optimal +50 (easy to do at that stage in the game and quite a bit earlier) or even a Shulk/Dunban/Reyn you really shouldn't need any healing beyond what Shulk's skills give you from performing a chain attack and Light Heal.

You should kill all those uniques by the way, you won't be able to access that place for long. And once you can't go back, the affinity coin potential is lost. You have one more area in between where you presently are and a massive plot dump.

One unique is particularly easy to miss. There's an elevator running from 2F to where you first entered Central Factory. Along it's path, to your left going down from 2F is a platform you can jump to which leads to a unique. Don't miss him.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 21, 2012

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Vil posted:

Deinos Sauros (level 98 regular)

Deinos Sauros...Dino Sauros...Dino Saur...Dinosaur! :aaaaa:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Vil posted:

I'll just add that the "dead dad memento" quest might be hard to do early on, or maybe just at some times of the day, because there's a level 40 unique sitting right on top of the darn thing.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are you running agility gems on everybody? Because with a Shulk/Dunban/Seven set up, everybody agility'd to the optimal +50 (easy to do at that stage in the game and quite a bit earlier) or even a Shulk/Dunban/Reyn you really shouldn't need any healing beyond what Shulk's skills give you from performing a chain attack and Light Heal.

You should kill all those uniques by the way, you won't be able to access that place for long. And once you can't go back, the affinity coin potential is lost. You have one more area in between where you presently are and a massive plot dump.

One unique is particularly easy to miss. There's an elevator running from 2F to where you first entered Central Factory. Along it's path, to your left going down from 2F is a platform you can jump to which leads to a unique. Don't miss him.

No, I'm not running Agility gems on anyone except Dunban. I'm so high a level that I have actually been able to power through most of the fights without needing healing - not to say there haven't been KO's or parts where everyone is near death.

I don't think have enough Agility gems to max out everyone anyway. I did spend a long time last night just crafting/cleaning out most of my Rank III stuff to make space. I suppose I should start crafting the level IV items I've been picking up (I didn't have enough space earlier do do the two-stage refining-processing).

Yes, I'll try and kill those guys later. I was just too tired and didn't feel like spending another 5 minutes each slowly whittling the health of those things down after the boss fight.

A massive plot dump is starting to sound really good about now. The current main objective I have sounds very straightforward, but I know a twist must be coming - it's TOO straightforward.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
You can get the memento at a fairly low level. If you pull the unique out and kite it until it resets, you can follow it back in and snag it as it takes several seconds for it to turn back around after it gets back to it's cave.

Oh, and don't forget that hidden UM in Mechonis Fields. If you look at the lowest floor from above, you can see a small area cut off from the rest of the area half filled with a different colored goo than the rest of that floor. You need to jump from the second or third floor to reach it, but there's a UM down there. I vaguely remember it having Spike, so be ready for that if it does.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007
I just completed the post-Agrinatha plot dump, and am working my way through the Heart-to-Hearts that I've unlocked. However, I can't seem to reach Melia's residence in Telethia-riddled Alcamoth because the teleporter is inactive. Will I eventually get the opportunity to travel there again?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tibeerius posted:

I just completed the post-Agrinatha plot dump, and am working my way through the Heart-to-Hearts that I've unlocked. However, I can't seem to reach Melia's residence in Telethia-riddled Alcamoth because the teleporter is inactive. Will I eventually get the opportunity to travel there again?

Yup, head to the Ether Plant in Eryth Sea, the place with all the windmills. There are a few quests there for you to do. Then, check all around the ground level at Frontier Village during day/night, there's a few more there to do.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
Would I be over leveled if I only did quests that gave items?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Considering the quests that give items and the quests that give experience tend to overlap heavily (contrast with quests that give money and affinity and nothing else), that won't really avoid the issue too well.

My strategy for my first playthrough was to blithely ignore questing and beeline from plot point to plot point, stopping only to a. explore and b. kill anything that aggro'd me unless it was kicking my rear end. It kept me at a pretty reasonable level for most of the game, though I admit that for the endgame (specifically, when I arrived at Bionis' Interior) I did actually have to run laps and deliberately grind a bit, so I did eventually end up underlevelled from my questing avoidance. Which logically means that some questing would have kept me on a more even keel.

If I were able to go back in time and play for the first time again, I'd quest just enough to get the extra Monado arts (Monado Eater is okay enough, but Monado Armor would have been really loving useful to have, not to mention super easy on the prerequisites) and fourth skill trees, most of which have some pretty sweet skills in them that I missed out on getting to use the first time around. Fifth skill trees are purely a Thing To Do At Endgame and are kind of a non-concern.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Regarding side quests that are worth your time: If you get a quest that involves collecting ancient artifacts of the giants, don't even bother. The payoff is so crappy you'll be angry that the game strung you along for it. It's just some equipment that won't be as good as the stuff you already have by the time you get there.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I mostly focused on the plot stopping to quest when I got to a new area or just wanted a change of pace. I wouldn't say I did a ton of quests but a fair bit. I was ideal level throughout most of the game I would say, maybe a little over leveled at around mid game. I had trouble with some of the later bosses and quested a bit/revised my characters and strategy but never to the point of frustration.

I played with Shulk/Dunban/seventh.

I beat the game at level 78 with 50 hours played so thats not really anything compared to the 100+ people are reporting here. I didn't touch colony 6 either.

Honestly just play the game, people are over thinking this I think.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

Regarding side quests that are worth your time: If you get a quest that involves collecting ancient artifacts of the giants, don't even bother. The payoff is so crappy you'll be angry that the game strung you along for it. It's just some equipment that won't be as good as the stuff you already have by the time you get there.

Oh god, this was the loving worst. It's a huge multipart questline and there's a ton of fun extra lore bits you get from the parts leading up to the end, but then there is ZERO payoff at the end. It's insane.

Honestly though, at that point in the game you're just doing the sidequest for fun anyway, seeing as you have to be in the mid 90s just to be able to even get to that point. But you'd think you'd at least get some end game quality items from it, or something.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Wait, what did you say, Vil? I need to quest to get other Monado arts? I'm only up to Mechonis - Central Factory - does that apply to me yet?

I did basically all the quests in Colony 9 and Bionis Leg, and that left me very over-leveled for the marsh. I basically skipped all the quests except for a couple Colony 6 ones and a couple "clean out these monsters who will attack you on sight as you're going from place to place anyway" quests for the next two areas, and I entered Sword Valley at about the right level, maybe a little too low, so I quested a bit, and as soon as I reached Mechonis Fields, I went back and did a lot of questing to get Skill Trees unlocked, which made me over-leveled a bit.

Also, can someone elaborate on the differences between Wiimote and Classic Controller? (Someone I know didn't like the controls and put the game aside quickly.)

Arts are easier to use on the Classic Controller, but require you to stand still, and the camera can be moved on the classic controller without needing to press another button? Anything else (did I get that wrong?)

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Oh god, this was the loving worst. It's a huge multipart questline and there's a ton of fun extra lore bits you get from the parts leading up to the end, but then there is ZERO payoff at the end. It's insane.

Honestly though, at that point in the game you're just doing the sidequest for fun anyway, seeing as you have to be in the mid 90s just to be able to even get to that point. But you'd think you'd at least get some end game quality items from it, or something.

It's true that you do learn some interesting lore, so it's worth doing for that at least. Just don't expect to get any good items at the end or anything.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
You can trade for 8000g value Double Attack V gems from the Nopon Sage once you complete the grueling task of getting a bunch of central Bionis stars :madmax:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Wait, what did you say, Vil? I need to quest to get other Monado arts? I'm only up to Mechonis - Central Factory - does that apply to me yet?

Yes, you can get both of the quested Monado arts at your current point.

Monado Eater: Frontier Village questing, specifically Lupa's quests involving the giant ruins. (She's at the archaeology center, at night.) These quests also require that you repair the fourth bridge in Makna - pick up that quest by the Valak side of said bridge.

Monado Armor: Fallen Arm questing, specifically Eleqa's village protection quests. (She's outside the entrance to the village, during the day.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks for telling me about that, game. Everything until now has been just handed to me by the plot.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Are there any secret areas in the High Entia Tomb? I'm supposed to get to this place called the Second Treasury for a quest, and the only place I haven't spotted yet is a sealed-off door that's probably part of the Giants' quest. Without any other doors or ways in I'm kinda stumped.

Other than that the spreadsheet has been a godsend and has helped me out so much.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
There's a secret passageway behind one of the robots chilling in the hallway.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bill O'Riley is GENIUS posted:

He wasn't even that hard. The REAL challenge is definitely Lorithia.

gently caress that fight and the bullshit that forced me to do it with only 2 party members. :argh:

Alectai posted:

Yeah, I only needed two attempts on Lorithia, while Last Boss took me a good two hours to beat, mostly because he kept using that one move (You know the one) that hits half the battlefield with drat near eight-thousand damage.

If it's the move I'm thinking of block it with monado shield. spam monado shield and the occasional monado speed on your tank, and it's way easier since what hits you do take will be far and few, except during the adds which are annoying fucks.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Thanks for telling me about that, game. Everything until now has been just handed to me by the plot.

Why would the game tell you about that? I mean Xenoblade has plenty of legitimate missteps but this isn't one of them.

Also, on the topic of your agility issues:

You can trade for easy Agility gems with Nikita in Colony 6 if nothing else. But I personally had easily megaheated a bunch of Agility IVs by the time I'd reached Central Factory. It's pretty easy with Shulk and Reyn.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Monado Armour is really, really useful. Think of it as Monado Shield for non-talent arts. I'm not sure how I would have beaten several near-endgame UM's without it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
My brother came by and I showed him the game. Despite him not being a big gamer, he was able to realize after the first scene with Dunban and Fiora that (End of Valak mountain spoilers) Mumkhar must have been put into a Mechon body, because "they didn't show him getting killed". When Metal Face showed up and Col. Square-tache commented on the faced Mechon, my brother knew that it was him. I didn't even figure that out until Prison Island!

And later, as they were heading for Colony 6, he guessed that it was destroyed. (I didn't know what to expect there my first time.)

My second run through the early game was much better than my first one, obviously. Early-game unique enemies are MUCH easier with a full party.

Why would the game tell you about that? I mean Xenoblade has plenty of legitimate missteps but this isn't one of them.

Maybe not, but I've been conditioned at this point to believe that side-quests are generally just to give you a reward of gems or gear, and I'm past the points where the gems and gear I'd get there would be upgrades.

I have only really been using Shulk for boss fights since getting Seven anyway - mostly because he's maxed his affinity with four party members.

I did do the first part of both of those quest lines, before deciding to get on with the main plot.

quote:

Also, on the topic of your agility issues:

You can trade for easy Agility gems with Nikita in Colony 6 if nothing else. But I personally had easily megaheated a bunch of Agility IVs by the time I'd reached Central Factory. It's pretty easy with Shulk and Reyn.

I wouldn't say I'm having agility issues - I'm not having trouble hitting things, or surviving fights without a healer, I just didn't feel like fighting three bosses in a row.

I've got a bunch of IV crystals and cylinders, so now that I've cleared out space, I can try crafting those into V-quality stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 22, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

If you're not at +50 agility, you're having agility issues. Peak dodging does a lot to ameliorate the need for healing of any sort. I think the only thing I bothered healing AT ALL against in Central Factory was Motherfucking Majestic Mordred and whoever had spike.

Personally, I say always use Shulk. He just brings too much utility to a team. Monado Armour, Purge, Shield, Cyclone, Light Heal, plenty of break. The dude's a utility belt.

Also late game spoilers sort of: I could have loving SWORN that Vangarre DIED in the attack on Colony 9, why does he show up later? I mean am I wrong or did Reyn not explicitly say something about avenging the colonel and the others when you set out on your journey?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 22, 2012

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Do certain unique enemies not respawn? I've got a quest to kill Agile Albatros but he's not showing back up. Did I screw myself out of that quest?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks Vil, I got the missing arts. I also got a great bonus from the High Entia Tomb - I remembered someone mentioning a secret door behind a robot, so I went and looked and found "Treasury Room 2" with the AWESOME "Advanced Volt" book. I maxed that out immediately. I was also intrigued by the "2" part, but I couldn't find any other secrets. Hello 22k damage a shot!

I like playing Shulk for his variety, but I can do that anytime. I'd rather build affinity with the other teammates so I can see other Heart-to-Hearts, and fighting/questing is more interesting than spamming collectibles.

I do not care if I'm not using the ideal optimized agility gem build. This is working fine (mostly). I was plowing through the area just fine with no healer in my group because I was over-leveled. If it was actually a little bit challenging at times, that is a good thing.

It wasn't clear in my post, but I wasn't saying that the three bosses in a row were too hard, that was the point where I was getting tired, and I decided I didn't feel like whittling through a lot of boss health at that moment.

Unoriginal One posted:

Oh, and don't forget that hidden UM in Mechonis Fields. If you look at the lowest floor from above, you can see a small area cut off from the rest of the area half filled with a different colored goo than the rest of that floor. You need to jump from the second or third floor to reach it, but there's a UM down there. I vaguely remember it having Spike, so be ready for that if it does.

I just spotted that guy, thanks. However I forgot that you mentioned him having Spike until it was too late. I'll probably bring Shulk back on board for that guy. Actually, maybe I'll use Melia.

I also finished the Pollen Orb stuff and I only need to find where Dabidabi is between 1800 and 0300 to get Riki's fourth tree. Maybe he's outside the tree. I'll check there.

Melia looks uh... pretty different in Blade Armour and Blade Leggings.

About your late-game spoiler, Captain Oblivious: I'm not sure how early you can do this, but it's pretty early: If you go back to Colony 9 and chat with soldiers, some will mention that the guy is hospitalized but alive.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 22, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Thanks Vil, I got the missing arts. I also got a great bonus from the High Entia Tomb - I remembered someone mentioning a secret door behind a robot, so I went and looked and found "Treasury Room 2" with the AWESOME "Advanced Volt" book. I maxed that out immediately. I was also intrigued by the "2" part, but I couldn't find any other secrets. Hello 22k damage a shot!

I like playing Shulk for his variety, but I can do that anytime. I'd rather build affinity with the other teammates so I can see other Heart-to-Hearts, and fighting/questing is more interesting than spamming collectibles.

For the record, there is a much much easier way to build affinity. And a vastly quicker one. It'll become available later in the game, but not too far off in your terms. Around level 84.

There is a boss that causes Daze when hit in Eryth Sea, Kromar Coast. You equip Daze Resist gems on one person, let everybody daze themselves, and click the poo poo out of the B button to repeatedly help them as they daze themselves rapidly. You'll gain a poo poo load of affinity. If he looks close to winning, run away! And do it again. In this way you can max affinity with the entire party effortlessly, instead of tacking on some ungodly amount of hours onto your play time attempting a similar feat.

About your late-game spoiler, Captain Oblivious: I'm not sure how early you can do this, but it's pretty early: If you go back to Colony 9 and chat with soldiers, some will mention that the guy is hospitalized but alive.

Well at least there's some in game knowledge of this before hand.

Lastly, DabiDabi is on the ledge next to the Chief's Hut.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Fibby Boy posted:

Do certain unique enemies not respawn? I've got a quest to kill Agile Albatros but he's not showing back up. Did I screw myself out of that quest?

I think that all non-story uniques can respawn if you save+reload enough times, but I might be mistaken. It might take a lot of tries though, the most I've had to do it is ~8 times though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

For the record, there is a much much easier way to build affinity. And a vastly quicker one. It'll become available later in the game, but not too far off in your terms. Around level 84.

There is a boss that causes Daze when hit in Eryth Sea, Kromar Coast. You equip Daze Resist gems on one person, let everybody daze themselves, and click the poo poo out of the B button to repeatedly help them as they daze themselves rapidly. You'll gain a poo poo load of affinity. If he looks close to winning, run away! And do it again. In this way you can max affinity with the entire party effortlessly, instead of tacking on some ungodly amount of hours onto your play time attempting a similar feat.

Well at least there's some in game knowledge of this before hand.

Actually, the Kromar UM has spike-sleep rather than spike-daze. It will amount to the same thing though, as long as you have sleep resist gems for your primary rather than daze resist! The spike-daze UM is in the mid 90s and only appears as part of a quest.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Actually, the Kromar UM has spike-sleep rather than spike-daze. It will amount to the same thing though, as long as you have sleep resist gems for your primary rather than daze resist! The spike-daze UM is in the mid 90s and only appears as part of a quest.

Whoops my bad, but yeah same function.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I just used that UM myself the other night to finish maxing out affinities. Way faster than burst affinities, gifting, or quests. The UM is level 87, though, so you'll need to be high enough to stay alive long enough to say so. But you basically get two hearts between characters A and B, as fast as either A or B (you're controlling the other) can attack and get put to sleep. Just chill out next to them and mash on B. This tends to work better for, say, Seven + whoever, compared to, say, Sharla + Melia.

In retrospect I probably also shot myself in the foot as far as cylinderizing my gem crystals goes, though. It's like the one thing where low affinity is more useful.

In regards to that spoiler, there is indeed another treasury, but it requires a key of sorts that's only available through endgame sidequesting (and killing an enemy in the mid-80s). There are also a few other places around the world that are unlocked with that key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

Question: is the high-level content completable after you finish the story, or do you have to load a save before story completion and level up from there?

• Locked thread