Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ragequit posted:

Here is the artist name on the poster as was requested earlier:

Click for huge.

Googling the name, it looks like the guy did some artwork with Sunrise (for Gundam and Macross). He might have been commissioned by Square to do that picture, but either way, it's most likely purely promotional art, which explains why it isn't as well-known as Nomura's pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
That FF7 posters was one of the first FF7 related artworks I ever saw, and I just couldn't WAIT until I got my hands on it.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
I remember reading about FF7 in some playstation magazine before I bought the game years ago, and getting excited about this character "Cait Sith". Wow, he looks cool, he's a massive white creature with a little cat on top with a microphone! What could go wrong here?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Those posters were my favorite part about the guides. Hell, the OoT guide had two! I just wish I took better care of them, the guides AND the posters. :ohdear:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I remember reading about FF7 in some playstation magazine before I bought the game years ago, and getting excited about this character "Cait Sith". Wow, he looks cool, he's a massive white creature with a little cat on top with a microphone! What could go wrong here?

Nothing went wrong. :colbert:

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
I remember seeing the commercial with the fmv of cloud on the motorcycle and some sorry of slogan like "take down an evil empire" I think that lead me to beiebe it was a final fantasy six sequel.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 48 - Exposition

Last time, we had finally acquired the Keystone and were heading out to the [Temple of Ancients].

We're forced, however, to catch a break.

Ah, Cloud, you're such a gentleman and a scholar.

Which is good. After almost 50 chapters, this is a good time for us to review what we know so far.

Nothing bad can come out of this.

The game, as a matter of fact, has the same idea we do.

So let's relax and enjoy the game-sponsored plot dump.

You'd wonder what the gently caress is a gigantic robot toy doing with us. If you ask me, he's the one who's got things to explain.

I like to imagine Cid doesn't really care. He's just pretending this is some vacation from crazy, slowly realizing that he was deadly wrong.

This is what I felt playing Xenogears.

He flies and he can cross oceans by walking. No, I don't mean swimming. I mean walking. It'd be hard finding him if he didn't stop by every city and told people where he's going.

I'm sure he'll tell people about it when he finds the place too, so we're cool.

At some point you start wondering what the Cetra really wanted. Were they super-hippies who wanted to commune with dead spirits?

Don't they return to the planet? And if Mako is just the spirits of the dead, does that mean the Cetra were a bunch of crazy cultists?

Fine, I'm overanalysing things. It's really simple. The Cetra were humans who could use magic naturally and commune with the spirits. They had a society based around that.

Doesn't sound entirely literal.

Sounds like the Promise Land is just the place you like to live and historians were taking things too literally.

And Sephiroth is the craziest of them all. Or at least that's what we're inclined to believe.

Ok, we love making jokes about this subject, but the dude went to a theme park asking people "Have you seen a Black Materia?" He can't be normal.

This may sound a stupid question, but...

Tifa raises a good point.

The thing is, I'm pointing out some unresolved plot issues...

But it's not like they are (right now) plot holes.

The characters don't know what the gently caress either.

It's fun seeing them trying to connect the dots.

Quite frankly, it's something I miss.

At some point games started spewing the same GO FORWARD WE'LL BEAT THE ENEMIES WITH FRIENDSHIP crap over and over.

That, and "epic" overarching stories which are an excuse to "no character development". This has been very present in movies too.

But I'll stop ranting.

What we've learned from this is - no one knows what the gently caress.

The only thing we can agree is that Sephiroth is downright crazy. Hell, Kefka is a crazy psychopath, but at least his plan makes sense (and works). I vote that Sephiroth is the craziest one here.

And we also know that everyone (except maybe for Barret and Red XIII) is hiding something. Yuffie is still with us because she wants our Materia and who knows what's going on with Tifa, Aeris, Vincent and Cait.

She doesn't even try to hide it.

Why is no one asking Cait Sith questions.

I love the ghosts in the foreground playing fake chess.

A valid thing to worry.

He can't be crazier than the guys talking to a cat, though.

Momma AVALANCHE in action.

This is why you should always recruit Vincent.

These ghosts own.

It seems Cloud can't sleep. He hears a click - his room door opens.

Who might it be?

Next Time:

CLIFFHANGERS! Who's visiting Cloud at this time in the night? Will we finally get to the Temple of the Ancients? Don't miss it!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Cliffhangers indeed!

Nice to see the thread updating again!

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010
Oh yes...the best part of the game is coming up! :dance:

I'm glad to see that you're updating again, Elentor!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Really don' t know why they gave Barret this line, because look at back from the Shinra building:

Come on guys!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
E: dammit! ^^^

Check Barret's dialogue in the Shinra jail.

Now check it here.

Poor Barret forgot what the hell the Certa are. Either that or the writers weren't consistent.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Proof that Krogans make everything better.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 49 - Do you wanna date my Avatar?

I know you Bioware fans have been waiting for this.

Don't lie to me. I know who you are.

I even got you warmed up in the last update with some sexy Krogan action.

So yes, you might have been wondering about the Chapter title if you've never played the game.

Yes, Aeris just asked Cloud to go on a date.

This is hilariously awkward.

"I've dated in videogames before, though!"

Yes, Aeris pushes Cloud out of the room. YOU WILL DATE ME CLOUD STRIFE, WHETHER YOU WANT OR NOT.

Aeris pretty much owns.

QUICKLY RUSH TO THE BATTLE ARENA.

Nooo I want to buy 99 Ethers.

Haha nice one. Next you're gonna say I can redeem a free iPod.

Oh no.

Look, dude, this only works with Rocky Horror Picture Show exhibitions, no way we're gon -

Fine, point taken. Let's move on.

Now for today's play...

A reenactment of every modern RPG game.

Written by Joseph Campbell.

Did I say Princess? I meant "artifact", or most recently, "dead archmage body parts".

This play is later reused by Squaresoft.

It's known as Final Fantasy 9.

It got much better, though.

The thing with the date is simple.

The person who picks you up is NOT always Aeris. It depends on whom you're flirty with during the game.

There are many things that influence it. I'll talk in detail later.

The only logical choice.

Say my name, say my name.

Look, I don't know either.

I'm just here for the printscreens.

I never promissed that things would make sense.

Look at the dragon's paws at the ceiling. Look at it.

They leave dancing.

What

WHAT

WHAT IS THIS poo poo

Even Aeris can't take this poo poo anymore. Let's move on.

Nothing can go wrong here.

This is the "date" sequence itself. It's special in the sense that the dialogue greatly varies depending on whom you're dating.

It's also a great display of CGI.

Anyway

Aeris' date is the "official" date. It's the easiest to attain (i.e., the one you're gonna get unless you REALLY went out of your way with the other characters)...

...and also the one that is most important - by far - to the plot.

The dialogue here is extremely relevant and often overlooked.

It also leaves us with some more questions...

Who is "him"?

She's likely referring to Zack, her ex-boyfriend. She mentioned him in Midgar and when she found his parents in Gongaga. Remember that he was a 1st Class SOLDIER like Cloud (so it makes sense they dressed the same), but Cloud never met him (even though there are few 1st Class SOLDIERs).

This is also kinda cryptic...

I mean, it makes sense. Aeris was romantically invested in Cloud, but he's not the person she thought he was because she had expectations he'd be more like Zack.

She knows he's not Zack, but she still doesn't know "him". So something is still off.

That was the date sequence anyway, one of the most memorable sequences of the game because it's kinda unexpected and not played like romantic sequences in modern RPGs.

In fact, nothing happens in his date with Aeris. Cloud doesn't get laid. We were wrong, Cloud does not catch a break.

There's a double innuendo here but it might be just me.

Look, I can't help but imagine Aeris having a British accent. I'm sorry, it's true. Why good sir, look at the time, it's been bloody fun with you.

Uh

CLIFFHANGERS

Next Time:

What is Cait Sith doing? Will we finally get to the Temple of Ancients? DON'T MISS IT.

Music we've listened to in this update:

Interrupted by Fireworks - The music that plays during the date sequence.

Acoustic Fireworks - A nice remix from that theme made by EgM.

Technically we didn't really listen, but the thread title is a reference to the music "Do you wanna date my avatar?" from the web series "The Guild", a show about people addicted to an MMO.

You can listen to it here. This also happens to be their official channel. Beware, it's really nerdy (and I'm warning to people who read an LP).

Bugs & Bytes

Date Mechanics

Oh boy, the date mechanics elluded people for ages. That, combined with the fact the old magazines (late 90s) had received information from Square that was outdated, no one really knew what the gently caress.

Basically, there are four people you can date. I'm not spoiling who they are now (I'm leaving it to your imagination). Suffice to say, I'll be showing the other three in the next updates.

Anyway, in the days of the old people believed all sort of crazy things. Like you had to put Cover on Cloud to protect the character you want to date. Or using revive. None of these things matter in the final product.

But at some point in time, they did. Which is probably where the magazines took their outdated information from. Terence Fergusson, a dude who pretty much ripped the game apart, found out that there's a value called "Battle Affection" that added a multiplier to your affection value to the date characters, ranging from 50 (half) to 200 (double). These were (according to his FAQ - Warning, Spoilers) then disabled in the final game.

Basically, a character will like Cloud more if Cloud uses cover on her, revives her, heals her, and will like Cloud less if he hits, kills or otherwise fail to revive her before a battle is over.

The date mechanics as we have are pretty simple. Remember all these decisions related we took during the game that you probably thought would not affect the plot at all (since it's a JRPG)? Most of these were slowly building up the character affections. For example, if you push the wrong barrels in the church while saving Aeris, she'll be very pissed off.

Anyway I'll be showing off the other dates in the next B&Bs. See you!

Elentor fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 22, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Elentor posted:

These ghosts own.

They really, truly do. It was certainly nice for the game to give the player something awesome to look at during all the :words:

The whole hotel is a great demonstration of how awesome and whimsical PSX RPG backgrounds were.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I

I didn't know about the battle multiplier

Oh god

The character who has received the most positive attention in my LLG

is Aerated.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Oh dear.

I for one thought that you were thought you were wanting to date Miss Concussion face

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Brainamp posted:

Oh dear.

I for one thought that you were thought you were wanting to date Miss Concussion face

I was aiming for Barrel actually. Any time I left one of those dialogue choices in it was to get that date.

But I'm too wrapped up in the cash grind to advance the story any to find out. :ohdear:

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
You know, I might have had a longer time looking forward to this update if you didn't post twice in 62 minutes. Now I won't be able to properly experience the suspense behind the KroganxCloud date.

Seriously though, it's great that you're both updating again and moving at a comparatively brisk pace.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

And now you (that is, OFS only, so yes, the spoiler will spoil things for others) find out that Barrel's name is somewhat ironic, given the date mechanics impact of dropping the barrels in the church! You probably knew about it anyway, but I'd forgotten until now. And if I read correctly, that Battle Multiplier no longer applies.

I'd totally forgotten about the "Cloud using cover" thing, but I do remember believing that it was a Thing. God this whole LP just reawakens parts of my brain that have lain dormant since I last played, things that were such ingrained memories - and now it's like I'm playing for the first time again.

Take that dragon, for example. I don't remember the woman being inside it. So does that mean I was a difficult git and just deliberately refused to choose EDK's name every single time? Or did I just forget?

And I read all the accents in my natural 'head voice'. Since I'm English, so is everybody in the game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

simplefish posted:

And I read all the accents in my natural 'head voice'. Since I'm English, so is everybody in the game.

I can drat well guarantee you I don't read anyone in my accent :v:

SamuraiSnake
Jul 1, 2010
I was hoping that you were going to show Cloud going out with everyone. Especially his bromance with Barret. :v:

It was a good thing that they ditched the Battle Affection mechanic; things would have gotten very complicated.

SamuraiSnake fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 22, 2012

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Eh, me, I go with whatever accent seems appropriate for the character. I'm american, so I guess I favor that kind of accent since I'm most familiar with it, but some people just feel right with a British/German/what have you accent.

Great to see you back, Elentor!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Wow... I've never seen a game so blatantly admit that its own plot is too convoluted to follow.

EDIT: Cloud is Zack? That's the implication at least. I've got to go back and re-read the relevant updates.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Wow... I've never seen a game so blatantly admit that its own plot is too convoluted to follow.

EDIT: Cloud is Zack? That's the implication at least. I've got to go back and re-read the relevant updates.

We don't have every part of the puzzle right now, but that's a clever deduction (since Cloud has no memory of his past). Who Zack and Cloud are is still up in the air.

Edit: We still haven't reached the convoluted part!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sephiroth and Shinra are both after the Promised Land, a land of bountiful Mako. Shinra is a heartless megacorp. Sephiroth is insane. They shouldn't be allowed there.

Sephiroth is also after something called the black materia. As Sephiroth is looking for the Promised Land and is insane so it can't be good.

Everything else is beyond the characters' understanding as I'm pretty sure there's a few mysteries awaiting answers.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Sephiroth and Shinra are both after the Promised Land, a land of bountiful Mako. Shinra is a heartless megacorp. Sephiroth is insane. They shouldn't be allowed there.

Sephiroth is also after something called the black materia. As Sephiroth is looking for the Promised Land and is insane so it can't be good.

Everything else is beyond the characters' understanding as I'm pretty sure there's a few mysteries awaiting answers.

That's a good and quick explanation of everything going on right now. Things aren't that convoluted so far, they're just mostly unexplained.

They do get convoluted later on, though. This is just the setup.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

It's not so much that the game's admitting that it's convoluted as the game admitting that you don't have enough information yet for it to make sense. That's actually very normal.

Now there's gonna be a few points coming up that attempt to answer these questions and instead lead to convolution, but that's neither here nor there.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!
After seeing that end conversation I really want Cloud calling out to Zack in monologue. Something to the effect of: "That Aeris sure is something isn't she, Zach Zack?"

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I think that scene was the first time I ever saw FF7. I'm fairly certain a friend of mine was playing it when I came over to hang out one time. Needless to say I had no clue what was going on with anything.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Didn't we also listen to "Interrupted by fireworks", aka one of the nicest and most sad pieces of quiet, slow music from this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pi9xgOXvTs

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pennfalath posted:

Didn't we also listen to "Interrupted by fireworks", aka one of the nicest and most sad pieces of quiet, slow music from this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pi9xgOXvTs

I forgot that that music hadn't played before. Included now, thanks.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The first time I played the game I got a different date, so I missed out on this awesome scene. Watching it on my second playthrough got me really excited about all the little details they put in.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I

I didn't know about the battle multiplier

Oh god

The character who has received the most positive attention in my LLG

is Aerated.

Except the battle multiplier was disabled in the final game. So you're still on track.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Yeah, I don't think I ever actually named the dragon, since I was sure that would be the "boring" outcome. That was pretty awesome.

And Aeris' dialogue on that date is pretty interesting in retrospect; it could be interpreted a couple ways.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glad to see this is back! And I'm excited to see the other date scenes, I never managed to get them when I played the game. Always heard about them, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Just a warning - if there's anyone here who hasn't played this game past this point, don't read The Dark Id's Final Fantasy X LP, he spoils something big a few updates in. It's the only thing I knew about this game coming in, so it didn't matter to me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

SamuraiSnake posted:

It was a good thing that they ditched the Battle Affection mechanic; things would have gotten very complicated.
Isn't that the way things work in FFX?

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!

This is magical. Cloud what are you doing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Xander77 posted:

Isn't that the way things work in FFX?

Yes, but that was also meant to work something like this. What with the varying cutscenes and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CharismaticHorsey posted:

After seeing that end conversation I really want Cloud calling out to Zack in monologue. Something to the effect of: "That Aeris sure is something isn't she, Zach Zack?"

...And now I'm envisioning Cloud making York's horribly uncanny valley faces and expressions.

LET'S MOSEY.

• Locked thread