Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
How do I zap the pram and stuff on a Late 2010 MBA? Haven't tried that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Zenostein posted:

I kinda figure that fullscreen is meant more for laptops, especially the airs, with smaller screens.

This is correct. The feature is primarily meant for laptops. Of which I have one. So I'd really like to have the video fullscreened on one desktop, allowing me to gesture over to another desktop if for some reason I have to do something (respond to an IM/email, for instance).

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Safari 5.2 Update 4 is out. Looks like it fixes the "dragged images save as webloc" issue, as well as the graphical glitching in the tab area.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I check every day to see if there's an update.

The day I don't check, there's an update :q:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

I check every day to see if there's an update.

The day I don't check, there's an update :q:

Developer only or something?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Developer only or something?

Currently, yes. I'm not sure if you can get it with a free Safari Devloper membership or not. Maybe give that a try if you're interested.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Martytoof posted:

Currently, yes. I'm not sure if you can get it with a free Safari Devloper membership or not. Maybe give that a try if you're interested.

Not interested in developer builds I just wanted to make sure system update was working right.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

timb posted:

How do I zap the pram and stuff on a Late 2010 MBA? Haven't tried that yet.

Should be press and hold Cmd+Opt+P+R at boot, just like normal.

For the SMC, it's press and release LShift+LCtrl+LOption+Power all simultaneously while the computer is off and plugged in.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Not sure if this exists.. but I'm looking for a OSX Emulator "Management\Manager" application.

Essentially, I'd like to load any ROMs from one interface and also, open zip\rar files, and have the game boxart if possible.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

EDIT: I guess that means yes. :(

Sue fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 20, 2012

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
edit: nevermind then.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 20, 2012

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Simmerl posted:

EDIT: I guess that means yes. :(

It's just a front-end isn't it? I've linked to actual, in-development emulators in this very thread in the past, but I guess it's up to mod discretion what's kosher or not.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Not sure if this exists.. but I'm looking for a OSX Emulator "Management\Manager" application.

Essentially, I'd like to load any ROMs from one interface and also, open zip\rar files, and have the game boxart if possible.
At https://www.macscene.net there is a project going on right now for exactly this. It isn't out now, but the admin keeps insisting it's soon to be released.

IUG fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 21, 2012

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
More specifically, it's here: http://openemu.org/

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I have a really weird issue and I'm not sure what to do about it. We have a shared network drive on a Windows 2008 server, that 4 Mac OSX machines in our office connect to. The Windows 2008 is an active directory server, but we haven't joined any of the Macs to the domain. We just use Finder -> Go -> Connect to server -> \\servername\share, then type in the username/password for them to get read/write access.

The Mac users make heavy use of the label color feature of OSX on folders to mark specific things. The problem is that 2 of the Macs see one set of colors, and 2 of the macs see a different set of color.

Mac A: 10.7.3
Mac B: 10.7.4
Mac C: 10.7.3
Mac D: 10.5.8

Macs A and B can see each other's color labels on the share. Macs C and D can see their own color labels on the share. If I change a folder to yellow on Mac A, it's visible instantly on Mac B, but not on C or D. If I change that same folder to green on Mac C, it's visible instantly on D, but on A and B it's still yellow.

All 4 macs are signing into the network share using the same username/password. All the permissions read as drwx------ user group. The group is the same on every mac. The user is different on every mac. I don't understand why there seem to be 2 different sets of color labels on the same folders. It's driving me batty.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

More specifically, it's here: http://openemu.org/

Yeah, that's one of the emulators that's going to take the most advantage of it. But the info it pulls will be from that website's project. It's sister site (which isn't anything at the current time) archive.vg is where all that info will be taken from, and it's going to have some kind of API for other apps as well.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Figured it out. I had to add the file /etc/nsmb.conf and put in:

code:
[default]
streams=no
Apparently I had already done that on the one 10.7 system that was working, in an attempt to fix a different issue.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Well Coda 2 looks like it will be freaking fantastic.

It'll also be $49 for 24 hours upon launch.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'll be buying Coda 2 from the MAS as soon as Apple allows me to throw my money at Panic. I've been using Coda 1 nearly every single day since it was released. It's minor bugs have become tiresome, so I've been greatly looking forward to this update.

The only thing I'm not sure about are the large tabs on top. I was hoping they would follow in the footsteps of espresso and have a vertical list of open files or something. Though knowing these guys they've probably done a good job of it.

Diet Coda looks awesome too, and will be a day 1 purchase as well. For $10, why not.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Quick question, or request for regression analysis at least. After a great experience so far with my 13" MBA 2011, I am currently planning on getting my first iMac when the next refresh hits (or at least when they can ship with Mountain Lion, whatever comes first).

If I buy a new retail iMac with Mountain Lion on it, would that give me access to upgrade the MBA's OS for free as well? What if I bought an iMac at such a time that they did the "we'll give you a code for the new OS via the MAS when it drops" for it? I know no one can know for sure, but how did this work for Lion's drop?

Basically just wondering if I could look forward to the extra gravy of a free OS upgrade on top of all the other benefits of switching to a Mac desktop for the first time, is all. If not, well, there's still plenty to be excited about, and upgrading the MBA certainly wouldn't be too costly if the upgrade is worthwhile.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Scienter posted:

Quick question, or request for regression analysis at least. After a great experience so far with my 13" MBA 2011, I am currently planning on getting my first iMac when the next refresh hits (or at least when they can ship with Mountain Lion, whatever comes first).

If I buy a new retail iMac with Mountain Lion on it, would that give me access to upgrade the MBA's OS for free as well? What if I bought an iMac at such a time that they did the "we'll give you a code for the new OS via the MAS when it drops" for it? I know no one can know for sure, but how did this work for Lion's drop?

Basically just wondering if I could look forward to the extra gravy of a free OS upgrade on top of all the other benefits of switching to a Mac desktop for the first time, is all. If not, well, there's still plenty to be excited about, and upgrading the MBA certainly wouldn't be too costly if the upgrade is worthwhile.

No, but the upgrade will be like $29 won't it?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bob Morales posted:

No, but the upgrade will be like $29 won't it?

Yeah, like I said certainly not costly, but it was just one of those points of ecosystem synergy that jumped out like "hey, I could use the included wireless keyboard with my iPad" and "hey, I can have Steam on it so maybe I should buy Assassin's Creed Brotherhood while on it's sale for $8".

Didn't make the time limit on that last one.

Anyway I just recall that when you bought Lion via MAS last year it let you install it on like 4-5 systems, hence why I ask.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Granite Octopus posted:

The only thing I'm not sure about are the large tabs on top. I was hoping they would follow in the footsteps of espresso and have a vertical list of open files or something. Though knowing these guys they've probably done a good job of it.

You can resize the tabs, thankfully.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Scienter posted:

Yeah, like I said certainly not costly, but it was just one of those points of ecosystem synergy that jumped out like "hey, I could use the included wireless keyboard with my iPad" and "hey, I can have Steam on it so maybe I should buy Assassin's Creed Brotherhood while on it's sale for $8".

Didn't make the time limit on that last one.

Anyway I just recall that when you bought Lion via MAS last year it let you install it on like 4-5 systems, hence why I ask.

and that will (likely) still be the same for Mountain Lion. Just, if you're getting it on a new comp, you're not getting it through the MAS. And when they did the "if you bought it during such and such time you get a free upgrade" they tied it to your Mac's serial and you could only install it to that one machine.

Still, $29.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Is there a way to remove a resolution from a monitor in OSX? I have two external displays hooked up to my iMac via HDMI because my dvi cables would cause them to artifact like crazy. Long story short Blizzard games always default to 1080i instead of 1080p when I select 1920x1080 on the display which causes the game to look like rear end. There were workarounds for WoW and SC2 but unfortunately they do not work on D3 and require paid software. The easiest method would just be to tell OSX that 1080i doesn't exist on my monitor because I have no use for it. Any help appreciated.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have quite literally spent months looking for a solution and haven't found one. Sorry to be the bearer of less than promising news.

I've tried all manner of resolution editors, hacks, workarounds, and nothing :(

Although I will say this: I used to have this problem when I enabled "fullscreen" in TF2. OSX would immediately kick into 1080i mode instead of 1080p. Though the last time I tried TF2 it didn't seem to suffer from this anymore, so perhaps this is something Blizzard has to do on their end.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 22, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Safari is being a little bitch lately and freezing up. 'Safari Web Content' is consistently hogging 20-89% of the CPU and keeps making Safari beachball until I force quit, it's been doing this all day.

quote:

13:54 up 5 days, 5:47, 7 users, load averages: 1.25 1.19 0.99
:argh: I don't want to restart.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Hit a really weird Safari bug: I can't download any .dmg files any more.

Happened out of the blue, Safari either just displays a dark grey background or loops back to the download page when I try to download a .dmg file. I've disabled all extensions, reinstalled Safari and reinstalled OS X Lion with no success.

I can't download another browser to find out what's going on because Safari won't let me do it. I don't have any download managers or anything installed that might cause this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kim jong-illin posted:

Happened out of the blue, Safari either just displays a dark grey background or loops back to the download page when I try to download a .dmg file. I've disabled all extensions, reinstalled Safari and reinstalled OS X Lion with no success.

I can't download another browser to find out what's going on because Safari won't let me do it. I don't have any download managers or anything installed that might cause this.

Install brew then install wget and you can download anything you want:

code:
/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(/usr/bin/curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/mxcl/homebrew/master/Library/Contributions/install_homebrew.rb)"
Then enter:
code:
brew install wget
Then enter
code:
wget http://mirror.mozilla.szerverem.hu/firefox/releases/12.0/mac/en-US/Firefox%2012.0.dmg
I guess you could just use curl to download in the first place...

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

kim jong-illin posted:

When you reinstalled OS X, did you use time machine to copy your user account across? It sounds like the preferences for Safari are broken and if you restored your user account (or are still using the same user account from before the reinstall), the preferences won't have changed so you'd still have the problem.

The easiest way to test if it's account based is to make another user account through System Preferences->Accounts, log into that and try and download a .dmg file in Safari. If it works fine, then the preferences on your normal account are busted. If that's the case you can try resetting Safari's preferences by selecting the Safari menu and clicking on Reset Safari, making sure everything's ticked then hitting Reset.

If that doesn't fix it, you can manually recreate the preferences for Safari by opening Finder, holding down alt/option, clicking the Go menu and selecting Library (since it's hidden by default in Lion), opening the Preferences folder, dragging the com.apple.Safari.plist file to the desktop and then opening Safari and trying a .dmg download again. It's probably best to have Safari closed while doing this, and you may find that some of your basic settings revert back to defaults.

Give it a try and let us know how you go.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 22, 2012

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I guess you could just use curl to download in the first place...

curl -O is your friend, and it's already installed (because curl > wget ;))

But I remember having some odd Safari behavior after Time Machining after an install & ended up creating a new user account, so thanks Mercurius for that tip... I just wish I would've known about it before!

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
VritualBox is phenomenal.

:)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Xithyl posted:

VritualBox is phenomenal.

:)

I used to think so.

Crashes the whole OS all the time for me the last few months running Ubuntu or Fedora VM's :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mercurius posted:

When you reinstalled OS X, did you use time machine to copy your user account across? It sounds like the preferences for Safari are broken and if you restored your user account (or are still using the same user account from before the reinstall), the preferences won't have changed so you'd still have the problem.

This is the reason I only back up my documents, desktop, and downloads folders with TM

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Bob Morales posted:

This is the reason I only back up my documents, desktop, and downloads folders with TM
Yeah, I don't really think there's much reason to back up the library folder unless you're using POP mail in Apple Mail or something.

As an aside, I find that VMware Fusion is currently the best virtualisation software on the Mac for performance, but I prefer Parallels' interface and features. If you use Fusion, you should check out VMware's 2012 Fusion Tech Preview and give them feedback on any bugs you find so they can fix them before release. The Tech Preview does a really nice job on virtualising Windows 8 and Mountain Lion if you're looking at playing or testing with those.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee

Bob Morales posted:

I used to think so.

Crashes the whole OS all the time for me the last few months running Ubuntu or Fedora VM's :(

What are you using now? Just in case this turns bad for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Xithyl posted:

What are you using now? Just in case this turns bad for me.

I am living on the edge and surfing for personal business on my work computer, instead of through an SSH tunnel from an encrypted Linux VM.

I am going to try using VB again, I think it was the wifi making it crash.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For anyone who is curious about VMware Fusion, you can get access to the Tech Preview for the low price of $0 until it expires, if you want to play around with it.

Granted you are running beta software, but it has been absolutely rock solid for me, and I'm running an ESXi lab on it.

http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/fusiontp2012

So: Free VMware Fusion beta to use until Oct 15 2012. Standard "this is beta software" caveats apply.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 23, 2012

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Does it have graphics acceleration for OS X guests yet?

Any benefits for a bog standard Win 7 guest I sometimes play games on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't know, my ML VM is at work and I'm not there right now. Somehow I doubt it, though.

Posted mostly for the benefit of someone who might be interested in trying Fusion without paying for it until October. Not sure what you're using now so I can't really comment on whether it'll be better or not.