Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Humerus posted:

So I just got my Kindle on Saturday and can I just say I don't know how I ever got along without it. It's simply amazing. Question though: is there a way to "hide" books off my home screen without deleting them from the device? I have a bunch of Philip K. Dick books and I put them all under a category, trying to make things cleaner on my home screen. Only now it shows the catgory and all of his books and stories anyway. I would love a way to just have a list of authors then just click on their names to be taken to all their works on my device. Is this possible?

Another thing-I somehow have two copies of the Kindle User Guide on my account. Deleting one doesn't seem to work, I assume because once you delete it, Amazon automatically adds it to your account again? Anyone else have this?

Thanks.

I had two user guides on mine as well for some reason, I went to the "Manage My Kindle" portion of their website and deleted the older version and it hasn't come back.

Your folder problem sounds like you might not be sorting the home screen by "Collections".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I also got myself a Kindle. I've been reading from my iPhone ever since iBooks came out, and compared to that, the Kindle is a thousand times better.

I really don't like the way collections work, though. Is there any kind of jailbreak or hack or anything that would let me to organize my books into folders? Or at least have "sub-collections"? I like to keep all my books on my device, and it's quite annoying to have to go through 10 pages of books.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Now that ReadItLater has changed to Pocket, does the website still work ok with the old Kindle Keyboard browser?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Raii posted:

I also got myself a Kindle. I've been reading from my iPhone ever since iBooks came out, and compared to that, the Kindle is a thousand times better.

I really don't like the way collections work, though. Is there any kind of jailbreak or hack or anything that would let me to organize my books into folders? Or at least have "sub-collections"? I like to keep all my books on my device, and it's quite annoying to have to go through 10 pages of books.

It's a shitter isn't it. Your only real option is to put them all in collections and sort your home screen by collection. Not sure what model you have but on the Kindle Keyboard you do it like this:

1. With the top book on the screen selected, press up on the D-Pad.
2. Press right on the D-Pad and you'll see a range of sorting options "by author, by collection" etc.

If you choose by collection then your collections will be listed first, followed by any books that are not in a collection.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Kindle needs better collections sorting/organising, but I'm happy now that I've abandoned any need to organise that way.

These days I keep on collection: "Read".

Anything I've finished goes in there, to be filed away.

Anything I haven't finished stays on the main home screen.

I have about 90 books on my Kindle, so it's a long list, but given that I'm only reading one at a time, and for a month or two, I don't have to trawl through that long list often at all.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I just logged into my library's eBook collection for the first time in a while, and I'm noticing a lot of the books are only transferrable via USB. Does anyone know whether this is Amazon's fault (that they don't want to pay for the transfer) or the publisher's fault (for wanting to increase friction)?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
That's the publisher creating friction.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Sperg Victorious posted:

That's the publisher creating friction.
In a scheme that makes Team Rocket stand up and go "drat" at how ineffectual it is.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's pretty effective, I haven't been in a library in 10 years. Oh, maybe that was because I was worried about how many sets of dickbeaters had fondled the books I was reading. I dunno.

Well, anyway, the point is the publishers won in their fight against me because I conceded and don't read books anymore. Any time I get nostalgic about books and how I liked reading, I just go play a video game or get on the Internet. gently caress 'em, they can keep their bat and their ball.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

It's pretty effective, I haven't been in a library in 10 years. Oh, maybe that was because I was worried about how many sets of dickbeaters had fondled the books I was reading. I dunno.

Well, anyway, the point is the publishers won in their fight against me because I conceded and don't read books anymore. Any time I get nostalgic about books and how I liked reading, I just go play a video game or get on the Internet. gently caress 'em, they can keep their bat and their ball.

And as you're not paying $Ridiculous, they're pretty happy to see you go.

It's all incredibly stupid (of them), of course.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Does anyone in this thread have a nook glowlight and if there are any people who have one what are their impressions of it? My Kindle3 Keyboard's screen got squashed today and I'd rather not spend the $85 they'd charage for an out of warranty replacement when I have $110 in b&n giftcards and could pick up the glowlight for $30.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My mom digs it.

She has a kindle, a sony, and a nook (as well as a touchpad), and the glowlight lets her read without turning on a light. Let's her dogs sleep, and lets her read without 2 crazy toy poms going insane.

It's kinda retarded how they say its 2 gigs of space for stuff when they only give you 240 megs to load your own poo poo (the rest is formatted for bn.com stuff), but overall she likes the reader.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
Its only 240mb for your own loaded things? On the site it says storage is 2gb with 750 set aside for b&n things. :\

e: or it says 2gb with 1gb for content and 750 of that set aside for b&n things. Whats that extra 1gb left for?

Aurelius
Jun 19, 2002

Circle Nine posted:

Its only 240mb for your own loaded things? On the site it says storage is 2gb with 750 set aside for b&n things. :\

e: or it says 2gb with 1gb for content and 750 of that set aside for b&n things. Whats that extra 1gb left for?

It's really not important - just pick up a cheap microSD card and all that storage is available to you.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Circle Nine posted:

For that nook:
1 gigabyte is completely unusable by the consumer
750 megabytes for purchased content
250 megabytes for your own stuff

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
a friend of mine has a rooted nook tablet but needs vpn for it since he will travel overseas a lot and loves hulu and netflix. He has Astrill VPN. https://www.astrill.com/knowledge-base/23/Android

I'm trying to help him but quickvpn doesn't have L2TP/IPSec PSK and openVPN is a nightmare because I can't even begin to parse how to make a .conf file that will work.

What should I do?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

clockworkjoe posted:

What should I do?

Probably ask in the Android/Rooted Android threads for starters.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So who do I complain to about formatting errors, Amazon or the publisher?

I'm reading Imajica by Clive Barker and there are a ton of typos to the point where it's getting distracting. Normally I don't care but it's a LOT.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I learned some fun things yesterday from a guy who worked in print shops for most of his life. Among other things, he complained that one of the shittiest things publishers would do is hand them something that not only needed the fixes that shops expect to get stuck with (reflows and margin tweaks and stuff), they also needed basic spelling and grammar correction.

I wonder if the deal here is that some publishers (or individual lovely editors) don't even realize their work is getting cleaned up at the printer like this, so they assume it'll be fine to drop into an ebook format with no changes.

Another thing that happens is publishers will OCR their own books if they're old enough to not have a good digital master, which is half "makes sense, very practical" and half :wtc:.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 18, 2012

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Cripes, does anybody with a nook still follow the Free Friday blog posts B&N do? I think it's been over a year since they've offered anything worth downloading. Is there an RSS feed anywhere that sends notifications when there's a free book deal that isn't poo poo?

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

LmaoTheKid posted:

I'm reading Imajica by Clive Barker and there are a ton of typos to the point where it's getting distracting. Normally I don't care but it's a LOT.

Maybe that's how its supposed to be spelled? I mean, with words like "Yzordderrex" who can tell, anyway? :v:

The forward that's in my edition of the book has a great anecdote about how Barker reacts when people ask how poo poo in the book is pronounced; apparently he's changed it a few times over the years when he hears a pronunciation that's cooler than the one he was currently using.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Meldonox posted:

Cripes, does anybody with a nook still follow the Free Friday blog posts B&N do? I think it's been over a year since they've offered anything worth downloading. Is there an RSS feed anywhere that sends notifications when there's a free book deal that isn't poo poo?

I would imagine that's fallout from the agency pricing model. I doubt they can offer any books covered under that for free since that would be discounting them below the publisher set price.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Circle Nine posted:

Does anyone in this thread have a nook glowlight and if there are any people who have one what are their impressions of it? My Kindle3 Keyboard's screen got squashed today and I'd rather not spend the $85 they'd charage for an out of warranty replacement when I have $110 in b&n giftcards and could pick up the glowlight for $30.

It's rumored that Amazon is releasing their own glow in July, if you want to stay in the same walled garden.

LmaoTheKid posted:

Amazon, who will contact the publisher.

Scroll down near the bottom of the webpage for the book.

I guess you can also contact the publisher too on your own.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 18, 2012

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Boxman posted:

Maybe that's how its supposed to be spelled? I mean, with words like "Yzordderrex" who can tell, anyway? :v:

The forward that's in my edition of the book has a great anecdote about how Barker reacts when people ask how poo poo in the book is pronounced; apparently he's changed it a few times over the years when he hears a pronunciation that's cooler than the one he was currently using.

Hahhaa, well played. That's not what I mean. There are a lot of words smushed together like "hewent" (he went) and so on and so forth. Since Barker speels a lot of poo poo weird it trips me up because I go WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT then reread the sentence and yep, I split the word up and it makes sense. It's definitely formatting.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, that is bullshit. Complaining to Amazon will definitely let the publisher know, and you can also contact them directly.

Splizwarf posted:

I learned some fun things yesterday from a guy who worked in print shops for most of his life. Among other things, he complained that one of the shittiest things publishers would do is hand them something that not only needed the fixes that shops expect to get stuck with (reflows and margin tweaks and stuff), they also needed basic spelling and grammar correction.

I wonder if the deal here is that some publishers (or individual lovely editors) don't even realize their work is getting cleaned up at the printer like this, so they assume it'll be fine to drop into an ebook format with no changes.
Small presses, right? I've worked at a few big houses, and everyone would've rightly lost their poo poo if a printer had taken it on himself to edit the approved copy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Sporadic posted:

Amazon, who will contact the publisher.

Scroll down near the bottom of the webpage for the book.

I guess you can also contact the publisher too on your own.

Thanks for this. I just bought this yesterday and all the italicized words are missing the spaces before each word. It's driving me nuts, and was looking for a place to leave feedback.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
My kindle just updated itself, and when I go to SS mode or turn it off, the screen stays where it was (shows the home screen). Is there a way to fix this? I don't have access to my usb cord at the moment and I want to avoid image burn.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

My kindle just updated itself, and when I go to SS mode or turn it off, the screen stays where it was (shows the home screen). Is there a way to fix this? I don't have access to my usb cord at the moment and I want to avoid image burn.
E-ink doesn't suffer from image burn so you're safe on that front. I've never had that happen before but I would call Amazon to see what they can do.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Alright, that was my biggest concern so at least that's not a problem. I've tried a few different things and it's still not working. I've double checked and the screen saver folder I have is still on there, so yeah I'm going to check with amazon later today to see if they have any ideas.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Have you tried turning it completely off? Hold the switch long enough to turn it off. Might clear up your problem once it's rebooted.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Is it a wifi kindle? Sometimes they go kinda wonky if they haven't connected in a while

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

yeah it's connected and I did the hard reboot and nothing changed.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

Honestly, from my past experiences, I would just write a bad Amazon review and ask for a refund. Then maybe buy it again later, because they are certainly not very prompt with fixes.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

smackfu posted:

Honestly, from my past experiences, I would just write a bad Amazon review and ask for a refund. Then maybe buy it again later, because they are certainly not very prompt with fixes.

I went the ROM route and got a better copy from a back alley of the internet. I bought the book so I don't feel like I'm stealing anything.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

LmaoTheKid posted:

I went the ROM route and got a better copy from a back alley of the internet. I bought the book so I don't feel like I'm stealing anything.

Should still leave a bad review so others know what to expect.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

SB35 posted:

I'll get around to it tonight.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

SB35 posted:

I appreciate it. It's great to be warned of a lovely conversion before plunking down the money. One thing that drives me absolutely BONKERS about Amazon is that they lump all reviews for all editions of books into one big messy pile. They really need to separate e-book reviews from print versions, and then separate print version reviews based on editions because there are often vast differences.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
That is done to a certain extent; I don't know about ebooks but reviews are separated according to edition, at least sometimes. Look at reviews for textbooks, that's where I'd always see it.

Actually, I don't know if you can filter by it. But it will say (this refers to X edition) on the review if it's not for the one in the listing.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

tonytheshoes posted:

One thing that drives me absolutely BONKERS about Amazon is that they lump all reviews for all editions of books into one big messy pile. They really need to separate e-book reviews from print versions, and then separate print version reviews based on editions because there are often vast differences.
And a separate way to review the content from the formatting would be good too. Like the Game of Thrones collection: http://www.amazon.com/George-Martins-Thrones-4-Book-ebook/dp/B004JN1D2I

It has a bunch of 1-star reviews because both the physical version and Kindle version have significant issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

tonytheshoes posted:

I appreciate it. It's great to be warned of a lovely conversion before plunking down the money. One thing that drives me absolutely BONKERS about Amazon is that they lump all reviews for all editions of books into one big messy pile. They really need to separate e-book reviews from print versions, and then separate print version reviews based on editions because there are often vast differences.

Agreed. Goes especially for books that have been translated. I was trying to select a copy of Crime and Punishment the other week and I didn't notice at first that all the different editions' reviews were lumped in together, so I was reading sentences like "this is the superior translation because blah blah blah" without actually knowing what translation it was referring to.