Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vil posted:

I had a hard time feeling the emotional impact of the scenes involving him, considering I was entirely too busy grinning goofily at the cockney.

Indeed. On another note, since I didn't post my immediate first impressions regarding Fiora's final scene, let me just sum them up as such.

:stare:

...:smith:

...Bravo, lads. Bravo.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Spiritus Nox posted:

He's still SORTA intimidating, between his vaguely Jokerish glee in doing bad and his implication that you're being watched, but it really pales in comparison to how brilliant the scene with Metal Face killing Fiora was. That scene was drat good and scary.

He'll probably be fine if he's not a huge recurring villain and the others stay more intimidating.

It's even worse when you realize a bunch of mechon swarmed all over Fiora's tank mecha, implying she was gruesomely eaten :(

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Cartoonishly evil cockney man-eating giant robots are awesome as hell and Monolith Soft's next game had better feature more of them. :colbert:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

He seems to sober up during his final moments in the game, though, and becomes quite a bit lucid suddenly. Then, as per usual, poo poo continues to get real. That whole section of the game becomes more clear as you go on and starts to make more sense.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Quick Question: Is Melia the greatest, or is she the greatest? Even putting aside her aura versatility and stacking Electric Plus gems, having a two-step topple combo on a single character is making my life so much easier.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Put her in Rex or Asura armor late game and she does all that while looking like a rejected Pokemon.

This may or may not make her more awesome.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
As soon as I saw the armor model for Melia in Rex armor, she never left my party. Hilarious.

Melia also has my favorite post-battle banter with Reyn and Sharla. If you haven't heard it, go listen to it in game.

The head! Shoot him in the head!

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
I'm partial to one of Melia/Riki/Dunban's (Truly, Riki is the softest of Heropons) and Shulk/Seven/Dunban(I always wished I had a brother or sister...).

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Late-game stuff, level 64+ enemies, location: Agniratha

(Story stuff spoilers) I just want to say that I like the well-done party characterization. When they learned about the history of the Bionis-Mechonis battle, it was clear that the group was upset, and they understood the situation better. They understood the motivation of Egil better.

But what was also good was that while they understood why Egil was afraid, they quite rightly said that just because a bad thing happened to the Machina, it doesn't mean that attacking the Homs was justified. And while they are now willing to try and talk peacefully to him, if he wants to fight, they aren't going to hesitate to kill him if they have to.

I actually thought this was a cop-out, and part of the reason the second half of the game really drags, along with the fact that the areas you are in are pretty much just copy-pasted versions of themselves.

I was never really that hard-line about "show, not tell" in video games, I never truly understood that criticism but for most of that part of the game, I could just not really care less. It's such a tired, boring cliche in the first place to have the villain be just misunderstood like that, but then from the second you land on Fallen Arm and go to the Hidden Village, the first thing I think one person said to me was something like "Egil was born here! He's not such a bad guy, he used to be really nice!" So right away you're rolling your eyes because you know that the big twist is that he is supposed to be some twisted sociopath but he is just misunderstood, and Shulk and everybody is just totally cool with this, just a complete 180 "Oh, that's okay, we'll save everyone, even the bad guy!" This is especially bad with Shulk, whose entire motivation as a character is that he wants to destroy the mechon and eliminate the mechon leader. So they end up in this area where the game should be ramping up because it wants you to think this is the endgame, final boss time, the plot should be ramping up, characters should be ramping up, but it's all winding down and they have taken away all your motivation - you've gotten Seven back, they are justifying Egil's actions so there's not even any real desire to get to him because your characters are almost going "Okay, power of friendship, we're going to save Egil," and there is a cutscene that literally says "You are going against the will of the Gods, you will have to find your own Monado if you want to keep going down this path" that pretty much spells out the twist, so you already have a good idea of what is going to happen when you get to Egil.

There is a lot of poo poo that goes wrong with this game, I would say from post Galahad Fortress (Metal Face is pretty much the ultimate villain and they copped out killing him the way they did and with that situation, and that is where the game starts to spiral downhill) to post Agniratha.

After that the game ramps up into crazytown but I think it is so much more exciting again is because the parts before it are so dry and boring. There is a cutscene where a certain character pulls out a cigar to do his evil-villain monologue, and I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard. It's not even that he pulls out the cigar, it's more like the game pans away to another character while he is talking and when it comes back to him he has the cigar; it's like "Where did you get that cigar? Who is farming tobacco on Bionis?"

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 24, 2012

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Devoyniche posted:

I actually thought this was a cop-out, and part of the reason the second half of the game really drags, along with the fact that the areas you are in are pretty much just copy-pasted versions of themselves.

I was never really that hard-line about "show, not tell" in video games, I never truly understood that criticism but for most of that part of the game, I could just not really care less. It's such a tired, boring cliche in the first place to have the villain be just misunderstood like that, but then from the second you land on Fallen Arm and go to the Hidden Village, the first thing I think one person said to me was something like "Egil was born here! He's not such a bad guy, he used to be really nice!" So right away you're like rolling your eyes because you know that the big twist is that he is supposed to be some twisted sociopath but he is just misunderstood, and Shulk and everybody is just totally cool with this, just a complete 180 "Oh, that's okay, we'll save everyone, even the bad guy!" This is especially bad with Shulk, whose entire motivation as a character is that he wants to destroy the mechon and eliminate the mechon leader. So they end up in this area where the game should be ramping up because it wants you to think this is the endgame, final boss time, the plot should be ramping up, characters should be ramping up, but it's all winding down and they have taken away all your motivation - you've gotten Seven back, they are justifying Egil's actions so there's not even any real desire to get to him because your characters are like "Okay, power of friendship, we're going to save Egil," and there is a cutscene that literally says "You are going against the will of the Gods, you will have to find your own Monado if you want to keep going down this path" that pretty much spells out the twist, so you already have a good idea of what is going to happen when you get to Egil.

There is a lot of poo poo that goes wrong with this game, I would say from post Galahad Fortress (Metal Face is like the ultimate villain and they copped out killing him the way they did and with that situation, and that is where the game starts to spiral downhill) to post Agniratha.

After that the game ramps up into crazytown but I think it is so much more exciting again is because the parts before it are so dry and boring. There is a cutscene where a certain character pulls out a cigar to do his evil-villain monologue, and I had to pause the game because I was laughing so hard. It's not even that he pulls out the cigar, it's like the game pans away to another character while he is talking and when it comes back to him he has the cigar, it's like "Where did you get that cigar? Who is farming tobacco on Bionis?"

The characters were still trying to stop Egil because if they didn't he would literally cleave Bionis in half, which would've royally hosed ALL of the Homs, Nopons, and High Entia. They knew that Egil was misunderstood and had his reasons, but I'm sure they still didn't want to die.
Re: Cigar I thought Dickson only smoked when he was being "good", IE up to his reveal and right after you beat him before the end, which I thought was a nice subversion. I must've missed him smoking any time between those moments

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well, I beat all the quests (except apparently one you got by going back to hidden village while in Agniratha but who cares) and now I'm kinda bored. I guess I could level grind to 99 which I assume is the max level and then attempt to kill all the Unique Monsters and max all my arts and affinities but... I dunno, seems like a lot of work. I think I'll just go beat the game and come back to that later if I feel like it.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Going to beat the game before/if you explore end game content is the right idea.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I dunno, if you have any desire whatsoever to do the end game stuff I'd suggest you do it now. I disliked the ending so much that I have don't want to touch the game for a while and would probably never get the high level stuff done. As such, I'm glad I beat the super UMs before beating the game. They gave me more of a sense of accomplishment than the finale and denouement did.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Devoyniche posted:

There is a lot of poo poo that goes wrong with this game, I would say from post Galahad Fortress (Metal Face is pretty much the ultimate villain and they copped out killing him the way they did and with that situation, and that is where the game starts to spiral downhill) to post Agniratha.

Yup. It really pissed me off that [THROUGH ENDGAME SPOILERS] the main villain of the game, 2/3 of which you spend chasing, dies as a pathetic mid-boss that your party just keeps trucking on afterward like he was just a roadblock. Not like any of his actions that provided motivation for the entire game ended up having any real consequences outside of killing Emperor Boring. Oh, and how hilarious:

"DUNBAN, YOU CAN'T KILL HIM, HE'S A HOMS INSIDE THERE!"
"Shulk, in that very battle didn't we just kill like 5 mass-produced faces that have humans inside them--"
"BUT HE'S A HOMS!"

Also hard not to be annoyed at the party's reaction to the other twist about Dickson you mentioned at Agniratha, although that's really just the fault of the writer showing too much to the audience that the characters can't see. It's like "what, weren't you guys paying attention to the incredibly ominous music playing every time this guy was skulking around in the shadows during cutscenes?" It was a twist that the audience could have guessed 60 hours ago, and even though the characters wouldn't have known it, the lovely way it was unfolded makes it feel like they should have.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Raptor1033 posted:

I dunno, if you have any desire whatsoever to do the end game stuff I'd suggest you do it now. I disliked the ending so much that I have don't want to touch the game for a while and would probably never get the high level stuff done. As such, I'm glad I beat the super UMs before beating the game. They gave me more of a sense of accomplishment than the finale and denouement did.

I didn't care for the ending either but I wish I had done the end sequence first before trying the extra challenges since doing all that stuff first made the last boss and such a joke and ruined the experience for me a bit.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well that ending sucked.

The best thing I can say about this game is that it took a lot of regular JRPG tropes and at least shined some new light on them. But seriously it's a great game if you ignore like, the final 1/3 of the plot.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
The only thing I really enjoyed about the plot as it neared the end is what an excellent villain Dickson ended up being. It was nice to see someone with that hateful, taunting glee we've come to expect from over-exaggerated video game villains.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Well after skimming the thread and reading a bit about Gnosticism I guess the ending is ok. Except I have played Xenosaga so I am kind of annoyed at the similarities.

Guy with a lust for power decides everything is bad and needs to be reset, tries to start time over. I was hoping it would have taken a different direction but oh well!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MARTY TURKEY posted:

Well after skimming the thread and reading a bit about Gnosticism I guess the ending is ok. Except I have played Xenosaga so I am kind of annoyed at the similarities.

Guy with a lust for power decides everything is bad and needs to be reset, tries to start time over. I was hoping it would have taken a different direction but oh well!

There are a couple similarities, but the motivations for the main villains are quite different between the games.

(Endgame + Xenosaga spoilers)
In Xenosaga, the villain wasn't trying to reset the universe because he was a power hungry lunatic who decided everything was bad. It was because the consciousness of humanity was literally causing the universe to collapse on itself. As the guardian of the lower domain, the only surefire way he saw to prevent that collapse was to reset everything until human consciousness evolved to the point where it would stop blowing everything up.

In Xenoblade, the villain was just kind of a dick.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

U-DO Burger posted:

There are a couple similarities, but the motivations for the main villains are quite different between the games.

In Xenosaga, the villain wasn't trying to reset the universe because he was a power hungry lunatic who decided everything was bad. It was because the consciousness of humanity was literally causing the universe to collapse on itself. As the guardian of the lower domain, the only surefire way he saw to prevent that collapse was to reset everything until human consciousness evolved to the point where it would stop blowing everything up.

A lonely dick with a pretty big ego. I kinda liked that a lot of his motivation was basically "Hum hum I'm a god now but I'm kinda lonely. Better make myself some company

Ten Wasted Dollars
Oct 24, 2010
I just finished the game last night, and I have to say that the near hyperbolic hype surrounding it sort of ended up hurting the experience. Of course, I probably wouldn't have picked up the game in the first place if there hadn't been praise for it, but it's a bit unfair for the game to have that kind of lofty expectations. Overall, Xenoblade was a good game and my opinion of it is actually better when I accept that, at least for me, it was not the BEST GAME EVER.

JRPGs tend to be a mileage-may-vary experience anyway. I thought that the characters were sort of stale and that the story had sort of an awkward pacing, especially during the last 20% of the game where it seemed like the writers were trying to cram the majority of plot points before the end.

The combat was fun, but once you grasp the flow of battle most encounters fall into the same script. Switching up the party order definitely breaks the monotony of combat, though, and one of the great aspects about the game is that every character has a diverse play style and role in battle.

The environments were fantastic, and especially during the early parts of the game running through and exploring every hidden nook and cranny is a great experience. Exploration was probably the best part of the game for me personally.

Did anybody else feel that high expectations hurt the experience of actually playing the game?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I started today's session just after the (location spoiler, enemy level 67+) Agniratha teleporter to the shrine. I ended the session just after the (location spoiler, level 72 boss) Colony 6 boss battle where Shulk fights the Telethia.

Wow, that was a lot of stuff. That was a SHITLOAD of plot in-between. (Everything here has some massive spoilers for Mechanis Core and up until Colony 6 after that, but I'll try and be vague anyway.)

I managed to kill the level 70 unique M108 thing, even though I was only the same level as it was.

I liked the special use of Shulk's visions in the final Egil boss fight.

I saw a lot of the game's twists coming, or at least enough hints that when the reveals came it wasn't a complete shock. Zanza was sounding suspiciously evil from the moment we met him. Dickson was always mysteriously knowledgeable, I was a bit suspicious of him... but I knew for sure he was a bad guy when he saw Lady Meyneth and thought "that's where you've been hiding". Still, one twist did surprise me: (Mega-spoiler) "Shulk" died in the Monado tower, and his shell was being possessed by Zanza. Didn't see that coming.

Also, argh... I had just basically finished Mechonis Core, it was time to evacuate and get the hell out... I run all the long, long way back to the ship, and on the bridge... I noticed a guy with an "!". ... He told me about a potential weapon upgrade for a party member, if I were to go to the weapons bay way, way, down below. And landmarks were disabled.

:suicide:

So I have to run all the way back, take two elevators, run all the way to the weapons bay... and the weapon is only marginally better than what I already had. And then I had to run all the way back.

Poor Melia. First, the four guards she was friends with get killed in Makna, then her father dies, she starts developing a crush on Shulk - which... ain't being reciprocated, and then she discovers the truth about the High Entia, and then her brother dies. Tough to be her.

Devoyniche posted:

I was never really that hard-line about "show, not tell" in video games, I never truly understood that criticism but for most of that part of the game, I could just not really care less. It's such a tired, boring cliche in the first place to have the villain be just misunderstood like that, but then from the second you land on Fallen Arm and go to the Hidden Village, the first thing I think one person said to me was something like "Egil was born here! He's not such a bad guy, he used to be really nice!" So right away you're rolling your eyes because you know that the big twist is that he is supposed to be some twisted sociopath but he is just misunderstood, and Shulk and everybody is just totally cool with this, just a complete 180 "Oh, that's okay, we'll save everyone, even the bad guy!" This is especially bad with Shulk, whose entire motivation as a character is that he wants to destroy the mechon and eliminate the mechon leader.

Yes, Shulk's primary motivation was revenge, but it wasn't the only reason he left. They also had to defend the colonies from Mechon attacks. One way to do that is to get the leader of Mechonis to stop attacking them.

I'll also disagree that this is a case of trying to "save the bad guy". Shulk was just as willing to kill Egil as he was to talk him down - see the cutscene after the final Egil boss fight where he almost does.

Shulk's goal was to protect life on Bionis. If that could be done by talking Egil down, good. If not, he was okay with killing him too.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

U-DO Burger posted:

That's another thing I hated about Xenosaga, it was so loving overly complex, I can barely remember the major plot points except chaos was Jesus or something and KOSMOS was Mary Magdalene and UDO was a consciousness that kept talking to Shion and gnosis were... something and Wilhelm was Satan and trying to reset time. And I was under the impression that Wilhelm was judging humanity as unfit and finally this time your people were like "eat a dick" and blew up his time resetting machine.

Too bad I will probably never play through that series again!

EDIT: To keep it on the topic of Xenoblade, I would be ok with there being more games like this, because it owned. If only Xenosaga was this fun... Well, Episode III might be but I and II sure as hell aren't.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yes, Shulk's primary motivation was revenge, but it wasn't the only reason he left. They also had to defend the colonies from Mechon attacks. One way to do that is to get the leader of Mechonis to stop attacking them.

I'll also disagree that this is a case of trying to "save the bad guy". Shulk was just as willing to kill Egil as he was to talk him down - see the cutscene after the final Egil boss fight where he almost does.

Shulk's goal was to protect life on Bionis. If that could be done by talking Egil down, good. If not, he was okay with killing him too.

umm he didn't want to kill Egil, he was being controlled by Zanza at that point who really really wanted Egil dead so he could finally kill the Mechonis. But he fought against it and saved Egil's life for a couple minutes.

Oh yeah, and re-reading the thread, tons of people posted about Fiora being killed by Metal Face and how it was sad and shocked them and blah blah blah but the way I feel is (regarding the seventh character) If you didn't think Fiora was coming back, you are seriously dumb. Like they would let you play as a character for five seconds and then kill her without bringing her back? And she was such a major player. Also, I was tipped off by the fact that there are achievements based around her, and also the quest where you raise the affinity between any two female characters implies that there are more than two. I hope I'm not the only one who didn't ever think for one second that she was permanently dead.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 24, 2012

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

It's always refreshing when somebody comes along that just started the game, so I can read the spoilers and not ruin anything for myself for awhile. It makes me feel smart and so advanced for only being past Prison Island. :downs:

Anyway, quick mechanics question. Am I hearing people right that gem bonuses cap at +50? I'm pretty sure I've given some of my characters totals that go past that. At that point do they simply stop "stacking" or can I keep on slapping them on?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Chieves posted:

It's always refreshing when somebody comes along that just started the game, so I can read the spoilers and not ruin anything for myself for awhile. It makes me feel smart and so advanced for only being past Prison Island. :downs:

Anyway, quick mechanics question. Am I hearing people right that gem bonuses cap at +50? I'm pretty sure I've given some of my characters totals that go past that. At that point do they simply stop "stacking" or can I keep on slapping them on?

The cap varies depending on the bonus. Agility caps at +50 for example, but Phys Defense caps at +100 and Ether caps at +150. You'll know when you hit the cap for a given bonus because it will show up with green text under the character's stat block. If it isn't green, feel free to keep stacking!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There are many many problems with this game's plot in the last third or so, but I think what drives me up the wall is it's love of absurdly drawn out death scenes. I'M ON THE VERGE OF DEATH BUT I'M TAKING YOUR ABILITY TO GIVE A poo poo WITH ME.

Edit: Do you get it

Edit Edit: I'm trying to impart a moral as I die

Edit edit edit: In case you didn't get the moral it was <insert trite bullshit>

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 25, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

MARTY TURKEY posted:

umm (Mechanis core) he didn't want to kill Egil, he was being controlled by Zanza at that point who really really wanted Egil dead so he could finally kill the Mechonis. But he fought against it and saved Egil's life for a couple minutes.

Okay I'll grant you that, but I think the rest of my point is pretty valid.

quote:

Oh yeah, and re-reading the thread, tons of people posted about Fiora being killed by Metal Face and how it was sad and shocked them and blah blah blah but the way I feel is (regarding the seventh character) If you didn't think Fiora was coming back, you are seriously dumb. Like they would let you play as a character for five seconds and then kill her without bringing her back? And she was such a major player. Also, I was tipped off by the fact that there are achievements based around her, and also the quest where you raise the affinity between any two female characters implies that there are more than two. I hope I'm not the only one who didn't ever think for one second that she was permanently dead.

(Post Prison-island) I did think she was dead, it certainly looked like a fatal wound, with all that blood. A lot of the achievements with her were hidden for a while, and some others I thought were intended to be done in the short window you had her. Just because you could play her for a little while didn't say to me "she's coming back", it just made it shocking when she died. The unexpected "I can't believe the game would do that" nature of that moment made it seem more real to me, not less.

Multiple female characters maybe, but that doesn't mean that one of them was going to be her. Another reason I thought she was dead was the game was doing a good job setting up Melia as a decoy love interest.

After realizing that the Mechon were putting Homs into the Faces, I did start wondering if Fiora's body was recovered or not.

I admit that I was starting to suspect something before I got to Prison Island, but that was mainly because of the fact that the thread kept mentioning someone named "Seven". If it was someone we'd met before like Dickson or Alvis, that's not such a big spoiler. If it was someone we'd never heard of, that's meaningless, and therefore not a reason to hide it. Even with that, part of me kept going "no, they aren't going to bring her back after killing her in such a powerful scene, are they?"

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 25, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I dunno. I just felt like while I do appreciate how completely out of left field it is to kill a playable character right away, I think it would have been extremely out of the ordinary for them to introduce her as a playable character with abilities and all that, just to throw her away in a minute. Plus the OP has seven character listed. I feel like the game hints around at it, too.

In the end, I think this game kills a lot of JRPG tropes early on, only to have them magically resurrected in the late game. But the gameplay has a lot of depth, characters are all distinct to play as, relationship among the party members is really well fleshed out, beautiful environments etc. It is a good game. Not JRPG Jesus, unfortunately, but still probably the best one of this console generation. Maybe tied with Tales of Vesperia which does a lot of similar things.

I will probably end up going back and finishing up all the poo poo I neglected at some point. Maybe. It is a fun game to play!

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Chieves posted:

In addition to what was already said about green text showing you're at the cap, it's also worth noting that the cap applies to bonuses from gems only, just in case that wasn't clear. So for example, if you already have Dunban at +50 agility from gems, you can still raise the stat higher by linking skills with agility bonuses to him.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

MARTY TURKEY posted:

(seventh stuff)When you get Monado Purge you fight with Alvis and that's honestly who I thought seventh was. Even if it was a character we didn't meet until later it doesn't mean them joining a party wouldn't be a twist. Like if Egil or Mumkhar joined.

Regarding some of the later themes and comparisons to his previous games, I like to see it as the director being able to finish his ideas. Xenogears had disk two and Xenosaga was trimmed down and wasn't very good. This game definitely feels like his complete vision and it would be very difficult for him to top Xenoblade using the same things.

I don't think it goes down hill or anything. It definitely goes into JRPG crazy land but(ending talk)if you want to kill god and go on an epic journey where you reset the world and defy fate I'd say this is as good as it gets.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Ten Wasted Dollars posted:

I just finished the game last night, and I have to say that the near hyperbolic hype surrounding it sort of ended up hurting the experience. Of course, I probably wouldn't have picked up the game in the first place if there hadn't been praise for it, but it's a bit unfair for the game to have that kind of lofty expectations. Overall, Xenoblade was a good game and my opinion of it is actually better when I accept that, at least for me, it was not the BEST GAME EVER.

I sort of agree. I mean, I didn't go into this expecting it to be the BEST JRPG EVER because I've been on these forums long enough to understand goon mentality. Take a good game, shroud it in obscurity and release it in limited quantities, and boom - automatic best _____ ever. And you were smart and hip enough to get in on it! Thumbs up awesome job!

It is one of the better games I've played this year (and I can't even name another JRPG on the Wii so it easily takes top billing there), but all the gushing heaped on it strikes me as a bit silly.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
To be fair, I'm not even hesitating right now, even though I'm still at the beginning of Central Factory, to call it the best JRPG of this generation.

Considering that its main competition is the two FF13 games and Lost Odyssey, though, that's really not saying a whole lot.

Disclaimer: I have not played the Tales games released this generation.

Manoueverable fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 25, 2012

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Manoueverable posted:

To be fair, I'm not even hesitating right now, even though I'm still at the beginning of Central Factory, to call it the best JRPG of this generation.

Considering that its main competition is the two FF13 games and Lost Odyssey, though, that's really not saying a whole lot.

There's a good chance you'll revise your opinion after an upcoming plot dump.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Almost Smart posted:

I sort of agree. I mean, I didn't go into this expecting it to be the BEST JRPG EVER because I've been on these forums long enough to understand goon mentality. Take a good game, shroud it in obscurity and release it in limited quantities, and boom - automatic best _____ ever. And you were smart and hip enough to get in on it! Thumbs up awesome job!

It is one of the better games I've played this year (and I can't even name another JRPG on the Wii so it easily takes top billing there), but all the gushing heaped on it strikes me as a bit silly.

This is basically how I feel so far, having just gotten Riki and Meila in my party. It's very good, no doubt about that, probably better than both XIIIs (yes, I liked them; no, let's not have a derail about it), but nothing about it makes me fall to my knees in praise of the future of JRPGs. For all that people talk about it avoiding cliche, though, apart from the obvious subversion poor Fiora right at the very start, I feel like I've seen a lot of this before. I don't mind, but still.

drat good and worthy of a bigger release, though.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Manoueverable posted:

The plot gets incredibly retarded very soon

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm sure others have asked it before, but what's the timeframe for finishing the timed quests in Alcamoth? Can I go ahead and push the main story a little further or should I seek out these quests first?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Almost Smart posted:

Honestly, the same can be said of any people finding themselves surrounded with other people of the same viewpoint. It creates a feedback loop of "yeah, someone else thinks this too, this encourages me so I will feel and speak about it even MORE STRONGLY".

See: last few dozen posts. Goon mentality ain't limited to praise (and it ain't limited to goons either, it's a bit more of a basic human thing). :) The positive feedback of interacting with people who agree with you is by no means a bad thing (in moderation; mob mentality is when this is taken to extremes), but it seems a bit silly to me, to put that off as Something That Only Other People Do.

I mean, right now with the recent discussion I'd be more than happy to chip in with my views of the things the game didn't really do so well and the JRPG molds it didn't end up breaking after all. And then in other discussions about the things the game does well, I'm also more than happy to join in with gushing about all the things the game does do fantastically well. Neither of those is a lie or a deception: they're just different facets of my overall opinion since it's not terribly black and white. So I share those with the audience that I feel will react to those particular facets in the most positive way.

C-Euro posted:

I'm sure others have asked it before, but what's the timeframe for finishing the timed quests in Alcamoth? Can I go ahead and push the main story a little further or should I seek out these quests first?

Like 85-90% through the game. Keep an eye out for mention of an area with "Core" in its name. There's a big delay between when you first get to Alcamoth, and that point.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished earlier today with 97 hours. The direction the ending was going wasn't what I expected "Is that actually our solar system Saturn or is this located in some fantasy universe? Oh welp there's Jupiter soooo what the hell I thought I was fighting on gods" I wish they'd flesh out the matrix-universe a bit more. (although I do enjoy the setting actually being the real universe instead of the usual go-to computer simulation) It would've been nice to get more backstory on Menyeth and Zanza pre-incident but I guess its not really part of Shulk and the others story/universe. Also I'm curious why only Zanza and Meyneth were the only ones that were chosen as gods, surely there were other people on the space station?
However I must say the game wraps itself up nicely. So far I've played it on the Wii but the Dolphin's hd looks like some nice eye candy for end-game questing.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Argh I've been looking for like an hour and I still can't find the secret passage to the Second Treasury in the High Entia Tomb. When I asked a couple pages back all I got was a vague "It's behind one of the robots in the hallway" and I'm still getting nothing out of that. I mean, spoiler it if you have to, but I would like to get this quest/secret area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Warp to the farthest waypoint.

Turn around.

Walk into the hallway until the second alcove.

Turn right.

Kill the bot in the alcove or just walk past it.

• Locked thread