Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Are maps the same per seed between 1.2 and 1.3 besides new structures and emerald ore, or is the terrain output different?

They're largely the same but not quite identical. If you re-generate your world in 1.3 using the same seed you'll recognize most of the map, but you may notice some weird stuff with familiar landmarks like "oh hey that one floating island is connected to the ground by a stone column now".

MikeJF posted:

Also, minecraftwiki says emerald ore is like 25 times rarer than diamond - so the main source will be villagers? Will we miss out on anything huge if we stick with 1.2 terraingen?

Nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Desperate Character posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo someone on the minecraft forums found a new structure with traps that spawns in the desert

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1246198-desert-ruins/

Holy hell, are they adding in prefab dungeons that aren't fortresses finally?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looking at the list of what you can buy and sell at villages now, the current values are pretty messed up. It's basically "sell all your unwanted garbage in mass quantities for 1 emerald each, buy things you could have just made instead for large numbers of emeralds with no rhyme or reason behind inflation values." Although I appreciate being able to buy experience potions, I guess.

I hope they adjust it a bit before 1.3 comes out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jamesman posted:

Looking at the list of what you can buy and sell at villages now, the current values are pretty messed up. It's basically "sell all your unwanted garbage in mass quantities for 1 emerald each, buy things you could have just made instead for large numbers of emeralds with no rhyme or reason behind inflation values." Although I appreciate being able to buy experience potions, I guess.

Sell pieces of paper at 1 emerald apiece. Buy an entire diamond suit of armor for 40 emeralds.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Jamesman posted:

Think the update notes said something about it being balanced later. Glad rotten flesh now has a purpose for me (I don't keep dogs and I'm swimming in non-crappy food). I just wish farmers would buy seeds. That's another item I'm always throwing away in stacks.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I feel so silly asking this here, but I'm having a java issue on my USB hard drive running Mint 12 x64.

Discovered I didn't have it so I installed it. Updated libwgl for the sake of it. Fixed a fullscreen bug along the way. My issue is that I can run my .jars (minecraft.jar, magiclauncher.jar) by right clicking, choosing to run using one of the JREs (using opneJDK) BUT no matter what I do I can't get them to work via terminal, which shits me because it's the way I've always done it via a small shell script to add the extra java options I want and for simplicity. When i try, this poo poo happens:

code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: //MagicLauncher_0/9/7/jar
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ..MagicLauncher_0.9.7.jar
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
Could not find the main class: ./MagicLauncher_0.9.7.jar. Program will exit.

Never had this issue before with any linux install. Why does it do this on command line but work with point and stab?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Sell pieces of paper at 1 emerald apiece. Buy an entire diamond suit of armor for 40 emeralds.

Anywhere from 880 to 1276 pieces of paper under the current trading tables.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

General_Failure posted:

I feel so silly asking this here, but I'm having a java issue on my USB hard drive running Mint 12 x64.

Discovered I didn't have it so I installed it. Updated libwgl for the sake of it. Fixed a fullscreen bug along the way. My issue is that I can run my .jars (minecraft.jar, magiclauncher.jar) by right clicking, choosing to run using one of the JREs (using opneJDK) BUT no matter what I do I can't get them to work via terminal, which shits me because it's the way I've always done it via a small shell script to add the extra java options I want and for simplicity. When i try, this poo poo happens:

code:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: [b]//MagicLauncher_0/9/7/jar[/b]
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: ..MagicLauncher_0.9.7.jar
	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:217)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:205)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:321)
	at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:294)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:266)
Could not find the main class: ./MagicLauncher_0.9.7.jar. Program will exit.

Never had this issue before with any linux install. Why does it do this on command line but work with point and stab?

I might be a moron here, but are there supposed to be TWO slashes and not one at the start of the bold line? I don't deal with the terminal on Linux too much, so I might be wrong, but maybe you made a typo in your script?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jamesman posted:

So 15 stacks of paper? That's maybe two crops from my not THAT big Reed farm. Not bad for diamond armour.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jamesman posted:

Oh, I was under the impression they were sales limits, since it seemed unlikely the guy would be selling multiple eyes of ender for a single emerald, but maybe the balance is even further off than what I imagined.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

D34THROW posted:

I might be a moron here, but are there supposed to be TWO slashes and not one at the start of the bold line? I don't deal with the terminal on Linux too much, so I might be wrong, but maybe you made a typo in your script?

That happens even when I run the jar directly, ie no script.

edit: wtf just doing "./MagicLauncher.jar" has started working again. The mysteries of linux

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
I'm thinking of putting off playing MC again until some more stuff drops. I'd like to create a nice big world I can work and shape without losing all my progress or access to future gameplay.

Enchanting is probably the most intimidating-looking thing added to the game that I can see... wow.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So I grabbed INVedit and gave myself a stack of villager eggs. Threw a few down and watched them. The little buggers are crafty in their idiocy. What they were doing was going to one of the gardens, hopping across to the town wall, walking along the top of the wall to the other side of the ravine and jumping off, getting trapped outside the wall at a point with no access to town and too stupid to go around. So they would have stayed there until they either wandered into the ravine or got killed by a hostile.

I did a temporary fix by putting a door in, but then that's just another weak point for sieges. It'll take some excavation or something to fix the basic issue I have with the side of the hill though.

Normally I try to keep my SSP games "clean" but villager eggs aren't a pickup and damned if I went to all the trouble of making them a nice village to have it stand uninhabited.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, basically, they decide they want to go to a point selected randomly, then the smarter pathing engine takes over and they figure out any route to get there, then there's no way back in. So if there's one possible way to get themselves to a place they can't get back from, they'll eventually all end up there.

I walled my village with airlock entrances. Only way.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, basically, they decide they want to go to a point selected randomly, then the smarter pathing engine takes over and they figure out any route to get there, then there's no way back in. So if there's one possible way to get themselves to a place they can't get back from, they'll eventually all end up there.

I walled my village with airlock entrances. Only way.

Mm. I might have to do similar. All I want is one thing which I have wanted to be in the game forever. A photoresistor or a photocell. I'd have pressure plates and iron doors set up along the wall, and when the sun sets the state of the photocell changes, a timer counts down and the doors are disabled.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

General_Failure posted:

Mm. I might have to do similar. All I want is one thing which I have wanted to be in the game forever. A photoresistor or a photocell.

You can hack this with a contained villager and the fact they go into a house when dark. You set up a cell with an 'inside' and 'outside' and detect the side they're on. Google the implementation.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 25, 2012

Murdershoe
May 8, 2009

General_Failure posted:

Mm. I might have to do similar. All I want is one thing which I have wanted to be in the game forever. A photoresistor or a photocell. I'd have pressure plates and iron doors set up along the wall, and when the sun sets the state of the photocell changes, a timer counts down and the doors are disabled.

Tutorial: Light Sensor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWndB7k4bQ

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

At altitude 120 and up, you should get Light Ore which works as a photoresistor, Glue Gems which can be used to make sticky pistons move more than one block back and forth and Push Stones which basically push any block that touches them forwards in a straight line, allowing you to make jump pads/player launchers that honestly I haven't been bothered thinking about because this is like fanfiction only about a loving videogame's future in mods goddamn.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Whalley posted:

At altitude 120 and up, you should get Light Ore which works as a photoresistor, Glue Gems which can be used to make sticky pistons move more than one block back and forth and Push Stones which basically push any block that touches them forwards in a straight line, allowing you to make jump pads/player launchers that honestly I haven't been bothered thinking about because this is like fanfiction only about a loving videogame's future in mods goddamn.

Glue gems? Slimeballs? I used sticky pistons to change the instrument on my glowomophone via a lever and simple redstone circuitry.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is it weird that with all of these changes, the first thing that comes to mind is "man, Ultra Hardcore could become really drat crazy with all this poo poo" First person to loot a pyramid without dying horribly gets a big advantage. Reed farming or whatever else in order to buy diamond poo poo. I really want to see what the first season of UHC will be like once 1.3 hits.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is it weird that with all of these changes, the first thing that comes to mind is "man, Ultra Hardcore could become really drat crazy with all this poo poo" First person to loot a pyramid without dying horribly gets a big advantage. Reed farming or whatever else in order to buy diamond poo poo. I really want to see what the first season of UHC will be like once 1.3 hits.

No because honestly that was my first thought too. I'd venture to say the second season would probably be more interesting once 1.3 comes out. Just because of the learning curve. And....aww so many testificates would die....

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Okan170 posted:

I'm thinking of putting off playing MC again until some more stuff drops. I'd like to create a nice big world I can work and shape without losing all my progress or access to future gameplay.

Enchanting is probably the most intimidating-looking thing added to the game that I can see... wow.
You're going to be waiting until the game is dead, then. I was hoping that, after release, they would focus on optimization alone, but they take each update as an opportunity to gently caress over your map. :argh: This is why I've largely given up on playing Survival.

Sam Hall posted:

Never used optifine, but I saw a horrendous drop in performance when the "single player is now a server" update came out. Was hoping this newest snapshot would restore the game to some basic level of playability but nope.

Yeah, I had a feeling this was going to happen. It doesn't strike me so much as an SMP/SSP merge as a "let's shoehorn server.bin into the client." Considering the message you get about it "automagically" loading server.bin with the official update, I'm not expecting 1.3 Actual to offer any greater refinement than having the game automatically download the .bin. Not yet the silver bullet, and if you couldn't run a client and a server on the same box before, I don't think you're going to fare much better after 1.3.

Jamesman posted:

It's gotta be for testing purposes. Villagers only buy/sell one thing right now, and I know for a fact the GUI is set up to allow for multiple.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 25, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Mad Archivist posted:

It's gotta be for testing purposes. Villagers only buy/sell one thing right now, and I know for a fact the GUI is set up to allow for multiple.

Villagers can currently buy or sell multiple things. When interacting with a villager/testificate, click the little arrows at the top, that will scroll through all available transactions for that villager.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

iolo_the_bard posted:

Villagers can currently buy or sell multiple things. When interacting with a villager/testificate, click the little arrows at the top, that will scroll through all available transactions for that villager.
I've been spawning them in creative, they never have more than one item to buy or sell each.

EDIT: And I made sure it's the latest snapshot. Emeralds also still mislabeled as Diamonds.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 25, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The Mad Archivist posted:

I've been spawning them in creative, they never have more than one item to buy or sell each.

They start out only having one item. After an indeterminate amount of time, they get some purple particle effects for a second and then they have a second option.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Oh hey guys, finnalized creative mode menu has been revealed.

Yes that is a search bar, and you should be able to drop items straight into the "chest tab" which is your inventory. Combine that with the new vanilla SSP commands to switch game modes and creative mode has become a lot more user friendly.

--

Also, I wonder if Nathan was just goofing around, or if he is working on tweaks to redstone seeing that he has everything labeled in whatever the gently caress that is in the background.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Enzer posted:

That's going to make life so much easier.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Enzer posted:

What is that at the end of the hotbar? Spider balls?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

What is that at the end of the hotbar? Spider balls?

Fermented Spider Eyes. I didn't really get it immediately either.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
Yeah, the new creative menu is going to be nice, been working on this blueprint for massive flying airship/city and trying to find poo poo in the current menu takes up a lot of time.

Trying to compile a list of changes coming to 1.3, point out anything I miss. :)

Misc Changes
-Separated server logic and client. Singleplayer is now a local server.

-Stackable items now stack outside inventory when thrown to the ground individually.

-"Pick Block"added to Creative mode; when clicking on a mob, it gives the appropriate Spawn Egg.

-Shift+clicking can now be used to wear armor.

-Brewing Stands and Enchantment Tables allow use of shift clicking to put items in it.

-Items can now be deleted from the hotbar by shift-clicking while on the Creative mode item selection screen.

-In the menu, Chat Options were added.
Added chat opacity, letting the chat be semi-transparent.
Added chat disabling, removing the chat for SMP servers.
Added chat colors option.
Added "Only Commands" mode to chat.

-/help added.

-Server Commands now appear in italics in SMP

-Tools now have infinite durability in Creative mode.

-Minecart and boats are destroyed in one hit in Creative mode.

-Flying through water in Creative mode is no longer slow

-Saplings now have their proper names.

-Game no longer pauses when entering a command, writing on a sign/book or pausing the game.

-New addition and changes in debug screen:
Coordinates are now rounded to 5 digits.
"ws", "fs" and "g" (Walking speed, flying speed and ground. "g" is true if player is touching the ground.)

-Support and auto-download for server texturepacks.

-Hardcore Mode is now available in multiplayer. (Player banned on death, etc)

-Improved Options menu.

-Added Snow to Creative Inventory.

World Changes
-Decreased slime spawning rate in superflat worlds.

-NPC Villages change style according to their biome.

-Some people have reported that biomes look a lot nicer/smoother.

-Added Cocoa Plants to jungles.

-Stars are more realistic.
They are now slightly smaller and slightly brighter.

-Added Pyramids.

World Options
-Added option to enable single-player commands to create world screen.

-Added option to world generation for a starter "Bonus Chest". When enabled (none hardcore mode only), starts the user off with a chest nearby containing tools, items, and blocks helpful to starting a survival game. Torches will try to spawn around chest. Bonus chests may contain:
Wood
Wooden Planks
Sticks
Stone and/or Wooden Pickaxe
Stone and/or Wooden Axe
Bread
Red Apples

-Added a Large Biomes World Type.

Tweaks to existing items, features or mobs
-Dispensers will deploy boats on water, and minecarts on rails. Powered minecarts and storage minecarts are also deployed similar to minecarts.

-Right clicking a powered minecart in Creative Mode will act as if you would give it coal.

-Leather is now required to craft Books.

-Silk touch can now retrieve Ice blocks and Glass Panes.

-Ice no longer turns into water in the Nether.

-Livestock, such as chickens, can now be "walked through" instead of pushing the player around in crowded pens

-Wooden tools work in furnaces as one full furnace use.

-Changed Cocoa Beans textures.

-Cookies now recover 2 points of hunger rather than 1.

-Villagers spawned from spawning eggs will get a random profession.

-Added specific names for the different sandstone and stone bricks.

-Added names for Wooden Planks and logs (e.g, Oak Wood or Spruce Wood Planks).

-Changed Gravel texture.

-Added a second Golden Apple made with Blocks of Gold.
After being consumed, the player receives 30 second Regeneration IV, plus Resistance and Fire Resistance for 5 minutes.

-Added Villager Trading. Some villagers will buy items for emeralds, others will sell items for emeralds, each villager spawned is randomly assigned if they buy or sell and what they buy/sell.

-Made Buckets stackable (16).

-Dispensers will eject Water and Lava source blocks (from buckets)
Will also take water and lava source blocks if there is an empty bucket inside

-Boats will now pass through lilypads without breaking the boat; the lilypad drops as an item instead.

-While sitting inside of a minecart pushing the forward key will make it move the direction you are facing.
Only works on rails.

New blocks and Features
-Editable Books - Book and Quill, crafted using a Book, Feather, and Ink Sac.
When a Book and Quill is made, it can be right-clicked to open a screen that allows you to type the book.
Pressing "Done" will save whatever was typed and allow you to edit the book again later, yet will not "sign" it.
When "signing" a book, it will allow you to choose a title up to 16 characters long and disable editing of the book. The Book and Quill then becomes a Written Book, with the icon changing along with the label.

-Wooden slabs for each of the four shades of wood added
These new slabs no longer act like stone
An axe should be used to break them
They are no longer immune to fire and lava

-Fixed being unable to switch tools of the same kind in your inventory.

-Fixed water destroying non-solid blocks when breaking them from above.

-Added Ender Chest. All Ender Chests made share the same inventory.
On SMP, the Ender Chest's contents will be the same for all players on a server.

-Added Emerald.

-Added Emerald Ore.

-Added Sandstone Stairs

Bug Fixes

This whole section is a goddamn mess on the wiki and in the snapshots, so in short, yeah a ton of bug fixes. Wait till 1.3 release for full bug fix report.

---

And finally the modding API has been pushed back till 1.4, the reason for this is that they want to get the merger between the SSP and SMP code base done first, since they really can't get the API finished when they are rewriting the base code.

---

VVV
Pretty much, though I would like to see NEI's recipe index/overlay feature as well as hooks in the API to allow mods to plug straight into that as well, but NEI is still an excellent mod to use. :)

Enzer fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 25, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's like they're taking a page from NEI, but perhaps with a more usable interface.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Since this is the place to sperg, please allow me to blow off some steam:

Mojang has started putting up blog updates called Weekly Chunks. Here's a video talking about it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3MYHCnCPAM

Now, first let me point out that "Director of fun" is a job title that reeks of whimsical fuckery and is about as fitting as calling a bottle of water a "Vessel of Life energy". I have no real experience with Lydia Winters, as I found the one video of Minecraft Chick I've seen annoying and uninteresting, but she has nothing to do with "fun", unless she actually has something to do with game design.

Now, this idea of game updates could be good, and they might be better, but this is mostly used for saying "There is a new block in the game (but not which)" and "Notch has birthday:confuoot:". Why not actually use this video time to perhaps give a sneak peak of the game? Interview the dudes working on it (The Bukkit guys, Jens or whoever happened to broom the kitchen that day)?
I get she's the PR-person of Mojang, but I'd appreciate something more substantial.

Oh, and while I'm bitching and sperging, I hate the "slightly too zoomed in webcam" thing the video has going. For fucks sake, buy a real camera instead of crouching infront of your laptop. When you have the backing of the Mojang Millions, this "indie teehee" approach just makes my blood boil.

And now, back to talking about the update!

I like how that Creative menu looks like.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Enzer posted:

-Livestock, such as chickens, can now be "walked through" instead of pushing the player around in crowded pens

-Fixed being unable to switch tools of the same kind in your inventory.
Small but hugely influential changes. Why is it something like this that impresses me most? Maybe it just feels like someone's actually playing the game and addressing actual issues and annoyances.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Small but hugely influential changes. Why is it something like this that impresses me most? Maybe it just feels like someone's actually playing the game and addressing actual issues and annoyances.

What does that second one mean?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Years ago I was toying with the idea of a P2p style structure for a game world. MC's basic structure falls into the type of game I had intended it for. Was just thinking such a thing would be really fun right now. To be able to invite people to my own sub-world etc and go portal hopping. I hope I still have the basic design docs for it somewhere.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

What does that second one mean?

Sounds like you can switch between two tools that are the same, but have different damage levels now.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Sounds like you can switch between two tools that are the same, but have different damage levels now.

I still don't really follow. Switch how? You could always just have two different tools of the same type on your hot bar, or to switch those tools out between your hotbar to inventory. Is there some other way of switching them?

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
If you have an iron pickaxe in the first slot of your hotbar and try to put an iron pickaxe from your inventory in its place, it won't swap them. Similarly, you can't swap their places in your inventory if you wanted to sort by durability.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bebopaloobop posted:

If you have an iron pickaxe in the first slot of your hotbar and try to put an iron pickaxe from your inventory in its place, it won't swap them. Similarly, you can't swap their places in your inventory if you wanted to sort by durability.

Oh wow, I don't know how I never noticed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
It is indeed one of those really small, but very significant annoyances. And the livestock blocking fix is also something that has me cheering with glee.

Especially when you're trying to shear 50+ sheep in a pen.