Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I thought you had more physical swag then you did; since it's only a CD, it's not really as bad of an idea as I thought, although making it a one-to-one exchange rate means that you'll be losing money in the long run.

And I'm jaded because lovely Kickstarter projects are a dime a dozen and at this moment, right now, it's worse than it's ever been. I get excited for projects too, but a project has to really blow me out of the water at this point for me to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just came here to say I am excited that Kinetic Void got a writeup. This is both awesome for your team, LumberingTroll, and provides another data point for all those statisticians studying the impact of news coverage on Kickstarter projects.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Occupation posted:

I thought you had more physical swag then you did; since it's only a CD, it's not really as bad of an idea as I thought, although making it a one-to-one exchange rate means that you'll be losing money in the long run.

And I'm jaded because lovely Kickstarter projects are a dime a dozen and at this moment, right now, it's worse than it's ever been. I get excited for projects too, but a project has to really blow me out of the water at this point for me to care.

Yeah, if we had a lot of physical stuff, it would be disastrous. however with the way we have our tiers worked out it actually goes pretty well. I can see how you might think its a 1:1 which results in our loss, but really it doesn't, if you look at the tiers the only thing that "costs" us is the $100, and the $150, as they are the only physical products. If you pledge $10, and talk 9 of your friends into pledging $10 that would not have pledged anyway, that's still $90 that we would have had. Sure it costs us the printing and shipping of a CD, but its worth it, in more than just the dollar amount, but also in the exposure of getting more people interested, it also goes a long way to reward our backers for putting in the effort of getting more people interested. It just doesn't feel right that I want their money AND I want them to promote my project, so this seems much more fair to me. Sure, you could say that our total amount gained from the referral is less than if they had all pledged without referral, however the chances of them pledging without another member of the community getting them excited about it is almost nothing. so in the long run its still a net gain. It's also worth pointing out that only around 51% of our backers have pledged $10 or less.

Quarex posted:

I just came here to say I am excited that Kinetic Void got a writeup. This is both awesome for your team, LumberingTroll, and provides another data point for all those statisticians studying the impact of news coverage on Kickstarter projects.

Thanks for the well-wishing, it means just as much to us as a pledge!

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 24, 2012

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm sure she's got some valid things to say but drat, she could hire a boom op and buy giant floodlights for that amount of money. Which is kinda overkill for a webcam video

Pledge $10,000 and I will rent a live studio and you get to be in the audience.

I can think of worse Kickstarters to contribute to sure

I think shes long past being just a webcam blogger. Shes been selling videos on her various topics to feminist groups, schools, undergrad courses and so on. And trust me, video is an endless money blackhole, theres *always* poo poo that can be done to improve quality.

Good on her, I say. If she can get enough women telling game companies to stop being shitheads towards women, we might really see more of a womens gaming surge, and thats good for everyone.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Quodio Stotes posted:

Such a stupid amount of money for a project that could be funded for 300 hundred dollars and all it really is is a series of videos pointing out incredibly obvious things to a crowd of people who already are aware of them. I didn't know you could make 20k preaching to the choir.
The videos make their way into college classes. I agree that the amount of money is exaggerated. I did find her Tropes VS Women thing great because it's nice knowing how bad modern writing is without going to that awful TVtropes site.

Carmageddon has reached and extended its goal. $67,000 until the new goal of Linux and OSX ports.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Heran Bago posted:

The videos make their way into college classes.

That says more about those classes than the videos.

Heran Bago posted:

Carmageddon has reached and extended its goal. $67,000 until the new goal of Linux and OSX ports.

What? No, it hasn't. It's still $67,000 until it reaches its goal of $400k and Linux and OSX support will come at $600k.

Although with 13 days and just $67,000 left I'm quite glad that they will make their goal pretty drat sure now.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Burning Mustache posted:

That says more about those classes than the videos.

What? No, it hasn't. It's still $67,000 until it reaches its goal of $400k and Linux and OSX support will come at $600k.

Although with 13 days and just $67,000 left I'm quite glad that they will make their goal pretty drat sure now.
:doh: drat, not used to extending a goal for features. But yeah I hope this gets some of the Linux and Mac crowd to throw in for the first goal then.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Kinetic Void has pulled in almost $4000 today, double the highest total its received so far, with a few hours left in the day.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Heran Bago posted:

Oh man, some of the comments on that update:

Some twat posted:

I hope all these recent kickstarter game projects will teach developers to just ignore DirectX and work with standards.

Why yes, let's work with standards like vendor-specific OpenGL extensions! That'll work out swell. Not like DX10/11 have a rock-solid standard and that's the reason developers prefer it or anything. :allears:

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

For those that enjoy the genre, that is the entire charm. Zombies are mindless and terrifying enemies that cannot be reasoned with. It does not matter if you are man, woman, or child: you will have to fight to survive. That sort of thing does a number on the human psyche, and some people really enjoy that unsettling sensation.
That and they're cheap guiltless fodder. :v:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

AntiPseudonym posted:

Why yes, let's work with standards like vendor-specific OpenGL extensions! That'll work out swell. Not like DX10/11 have a rock-solid standard and that's the reason developers prefer it or anything. :allears:
He probably knows more about programming than any game developer as he's probably played tons of games! :colbert:

Master_Odin fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 25, 2012

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Burning Mustache posted:

The new reward is in - original Carmageddon+Splat Pack will be sold at gog.com for :10bux: and all pledgers of 25$ or more will get it for free. The total jumped quite a bit already, looks like mostly from people upping their pledges from 15$ tier

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Pyromancer posted:

The new reward is in - original Carmageddon+Splat Pack will be sold at gog.com for :10bux: and all pledgers of 25$ or more will get it for free. The total jumped quite a bit already, looks like mostly from people upping their pledges from 15$ tier

That's a pretty smart move.
I'm not sure I'm gonna raise my own pledge just for that because I don't think I'd play the original game these days at all anyway. Besides, if I really wanted to do it, I still have the disc laying around here ... somewhere.

But this should speed things up quite a bit.
I wouldn't be surprised if they'd make the $400k goal by the end of Sunday, and that would still leave them 10 more days to go.

Good stuff, I really want to see this game happen :I

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
No surprise that there is so much demand for this. You also get Beta access if you want that sort of thing.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AntiPseudonym posted:

:psyduck: Except DirectX isn't a standard? Developers prefer it not because it's standardized (it isn't) but because if you are only programming for windows it's easier to work with, and gets new features faster, than OpenGL.

He's a bit of a dick about it, but his core point is solid - that being that if you want to develop a cross-platform game, you'll have an easier time if you use standardized, cross-platform APIs from the get go, rather than designing it around something OS-specific and then having to rewrite large chunks when you want to port it (and then having to maintain multiple divergent codebases).

Yes, this goes out the window once you start using vendor-specific extensions. Non-standard, vendor-specific extensions are neither standardized nor portable? No poo poo! Fortunately, you don't have to use them.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the relaunched Kickstarter for Rob Swigart's Portal is out. Personally, I'm really hoping they make it, since an engaging story seems to be the top thing missing from most of the games I've played recently. With a goal of $530,000, though, I'm kind of doubtful they'll make it. With 36 days to make up the missing $510,000, they'd need some serious coverage and talking-up on the usual gaming sites.
:smith:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Darthemed posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the relaunched Kickstarter for Rob Swigart's Portal is out. Personally, I'm really hoping they make it, since an engaging story seems to be the top thing missing from most of the games I've played recently. With a goal of $530,000, though, I'm kind of doubtful they'll make it. With 36 days to make up the missing $510,000, they'd need some serious coverage and talking-up on the usual gaming sites.

They still have an absolutely ridiculous rewards tier structure (with physical goods starting at the $5 level). And now they're talking about outsourcing production to some Chinese company that looks like they're geared more for QA work than actual development.

Gonna take a pass on this one.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Darthemed posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but the relaunched Kickstarter for Rob Swigart's Portal is out.

Holy poo poo this might have the dumbest rewards system I've ever seen for a KS. Confusing, difficult to comprehend, and stuffed full to the loving brim with a bunch of dumb physical poo poo.

I would totally not be surprised at all that even if this ks gets funded the company pisses it all away on making merch. They're offering like ten different items to choose from at the thirty dollar level, with half of the items sounding like they'd cost thirty bucks just to produce (never mind the fact that with so many different items to offer that they're raising production costs dramatically).

This KS has bad news written all over it. Avoid, this is either a scam or they're gonna spend all their money on producing the physical rewards and never make a game.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Occupation posted:

This KS has bad news written all over it. Avoid, this is either a scam or they're gonna spend all their money on producing the physical rewards and never make a game.

I think it's more that they just don't have anyone who understands how much more sensible it would be to drop physical products and go fully digital. The feel I got from their page is that the core 'idea guys' are people who have been out of the gaming industry since the late 1980s, heard about Wasteland and other games from that period getting revitalized on Kickstarter, then jumped into it without fully knowing what they were getting themselves into; combine that with the old game mentality of feelie pack-ins, and they're doing themselves more harm than good.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Well that Kickstarter is certainly an example of What Not To Do.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I like the idea of Zombie Playground, but I really wish they had something to show other than vague plans and concept art. Especially for an established design studio, asking players for money with no actual development work done is kinda weird.

Edit: also, their stretch goals are asking for A LOT of money for not all that much more being added to the game compared to other KS game projects.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 25, 2012

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Darthemed posted:

I think it's more that they just don't have anyone who understands how much more sensible it would be to drop physical products and go fully digital. The feel I got from their page is that the core 'idea guys' are people who have been out of the gaming industry since the late 1980s, heard about Wasteland and other games from that period getting revitalized on Kickstarter, then jumped into it without fully knowing what they were getting themselves into; combine that with the old game mentality of feelie pack-ins, and they're doing themselves more harm than good.

I backed it for a dollar just so I could read the backer-only updates. It's pretty pathetic stuff - every couple of days they write a short bio of one of the characters and leave it at that. No new milestones, no incentives to donate, nothing. At one point even those piss-poor efforts didn't appear for over a week because Swigart was on holiday in Israel. For people whose only contribution to the project would be writing, you'd think they could manage to put together something better.

Edit: Though one of the guys behind it did mention that he was selling his treasured art collection to fund development, so there may be some delicious tears before this is over :unsmigghh:

DoctorTristan fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 25, 2012

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

macnbc posted:

They still have an absolutely ridiculous rewards tier structure (with physical goods starting at the $5 level). And now they're talking about outsourcing production to some Chinese company that looks like they're geared more for QA work than actual development.

Gonna take a pass on this one.

It's not just that they're offering physical rewards at a very low price, there's also the fact that Portal's reward tiers are very confusing. Not only is there is way too much emphasis on the physical rewards, of which almost no one cares about (except for the $150 tier for some reason), but half the time I wasn't sure what was being included. I ended up making a chart to figure out what each reward included just to help clear things up.

e: Though to be honest, a reward tier chart is something almost every Kickstarter should do since it's not just Portal with lots of different reward tiers that offer a lot of things. Theirs stand out since they try to cram a bunch of things in, way more than they should have.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 25, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Narmi posted:

It's not just that they're offering physical rewards at a very low price, there's also the fact that Portal's reward tiers are very confusing. Not only is there is way too much emphasis on the physical rewards, of which almost no one cares about (except for the $150 tier for some reason), but half the time I wasn't sure what was being included. I ended up making a chart to figure out what each reward included just to help clear things up.

Could we see it? And it's still nothing compared to the OOTS KS, which had the dumbest reward tier system of all time.

Trying to figure out what amount of money got you what was some Da Vinci Code bullshit. I half expected a map to the Declaration of Independence to pop up once i backed it.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

Occupation posted:

Could we see it? And it's still nothing compared to the OOTS KS, which had the dumbest reward tier system of all time.

Trying to figure out what amount of money got you what was some Da Vinci Code bullshit. I half expected a map to the Declaration of Independence to pop up once i backed it.

Sure:

e: Just realized I had put down "Signed, Original Production Art" twice for some reason.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 25, 2012

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Occupation posted:

It was problematic enough when it was 900k and a big chunk was going to tchotchkes - but at least then they could say "hey, the per unit cost of all this swag will be reasonably dandy cause there'll be X number of backers." Then they dropped to 550k and made matters exponentially worse. That and the outsourcing to a company that appears to do nothing but lesser licensed titles inspires precisely zero confidence.

This might be the first kickstarter that actually regressed as it tried to reconfigure itself. I'm one of the biggest fans around here of the source material, so it breaks my heart to see this bungled so spectacularly.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Occupation posted:

Order of the Stick KS was just about getting more cartoons reprinted for fans that wanted reprints and offered rewards to people who wanted these reprints.

Aimed at a very niché audience, basically.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Someone just posted all the criticism you had about this Portal kickstarter. I wonder what the response will be from the devs?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mordaedil posted:

Order of the Stick KS was just about getting more cartoons reprinted for fans that wanted reprints and offered rewards to people who wanted these reprints.

Aimed at a very niché audience, basically.

Oh I know, but the reward tier system was loving stupid as hell, is my point, and webcomic creator guy (who I'm sure is a super nice and cool guy), made it worse by making it the more and more byzantine as it went on.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Have we already progressed to the point where a "traditional" physical copy of a game is now a DVD case? RIP full size boxes... *sob*

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

nessin posted:

Have we already progressed to the point where a "traditional" physical copy of a game is now a DVD case? RIP full size boxes... *sob*

For a few years now. Maybe even before we started seeing those Games for Windows labels.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Occupation posted:

Oh I know, but the reward tier system was loving stupid as hell, is my point, and webcomic creator guy (who I'm sure is a super nice and cool guy), made it worse by making it the more and more byzantine as it went on.

That was because he devised the reward tiers assuming he'd get maybe a couple of thousand backers raising at most 50k, then as the whole thing snowballed he kept having to think of more so as to keep the momentum going. The difference between him and these clowns is that he got caught flat-footed by his project's runaway success; Swigart & co. actually planned out their abomination and thought it was a good idea.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Personally I'm hoping we'll go towards less boxes and more digital distribution. Bigger boxes just mean more space being filled.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Quodio Stotes posted:

Such a stupid amount of money for a project that could be funded for 300 hundred dollars and all it really is is a series of videos pointing out incredibly obvious things to a crowd of people who already are aware of them. I didn't know you could make 20k preaching to the choir.

Sounds like the content hits a little close to home.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

DoctorTristan posted:

That was because he devised the reward tiers assuming he'd get maybe a couple of thousand backers raising at most 50k, then as the whole thing snowballed he kept having to think of more so as to keep the momentum going. The difference between him and these clowns is that he got caught flat-footed by his project's runaway success; Swigart & co. actually planned out their abomination and thought it was a good idea.

One of the things I found extremely odd was that at certain points they just started multiplying the rewards from the previous tier. I've only seen that done for stores that want physical copies of the game to sell, and I can't imagine they'd want to spend hundreds, if not thousands, to get a bunch of A/B items when they're not even getting a box to put on their shelves.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I am amazed that the procedurally generated 2D platformer Cloudberry Kingdom has been funded. It has reached its goal! They also think it will come out for WiiU. Bless their hearts.

Pwnee Studios posted:

Woooah! We did it! We want thank all of the backers so much for your support so far! You guys have been great!

We have already surpassed our goal, which means that anything else donated is going straight towards improving the gameplay itself. We already have some ridiculous plans for what the campaign is to become, and we think everyone will absolutely LOVE it.

Thanks again everybody for your support! Especially those of you who have been active in the Beta community, you have been a great help towards further improving the game, and continue to help us to move forward in the right direction.

We love you all! Every single last one of you!

We have been getting a lot of questions about whether or not you can get a copy of the game for the Wii U. And the new answer is yes!!! Both the regular edition and Special Coder's Edition will be available. (We are no longer able to edit our reward descriptions)

After the project is successfully funded, a survey will be sent out to all backers to determine which is the preferred platform for their copy of the game.

Last time I thought something reached its goal I was totally mistaken. Why does the OP say "funded" under Carmageddon when it still has some bux to go? Some more of those projects listed have some funds to go.

Also everyone who puts up $25 for Carmageddon gets a free copy of the first game + expansion pack on GoG.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I am still amazed how can someone navigate and play the levels in Cloudberry Kingdom. It's like those videos of Guitar Hero when poo poo is flying in at light speed and the player manages to press the right buttons perfectly anyway. It makes my head :psyduck:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All right, I just looked at Cloudberry Kingdom. I don't even want to touch that, it looks unbelievably frustrating.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Wendell posted:

All right, I just looked at Cloudberry Kingdom. I don't even want to touch that, it looks unbelievably frustrating.

So's this, but that doesn't stop people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011
What kinda bugs me about Cloudberry Kingdom as of now only has local Multiplayer. Otherwise it looks really promising.