Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I started a DEX-based character and had the Baldur Side Sword drop from one of the Knights. Does the bleed effect of the Iaito make its more rigid moveset worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Frankosity posted:

I started a DEX-based character and had the Baldur Side Sword drop from one of the Knights. Does the bleed effect of the Iaito make its more rigid moveset worth it?

Sometimes.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Bleed owns but if you don't like the feel of the moveset don't use the Iaito. 90% of this game's enjoyment comes from how good the melee combat feels. On my first playthrough I stupidly stuck with the black knight sword for a very long time, which has the world's worst R2 attack, and the second I switched to a new weapon I was like "ugu, this is instantly like twice as fun."

edit:
I know you're annoyed at the moment but my #1 biggest dark souls regret is spoiling that surprise for myself by reading too much about the game before it came out. I've never been surprised & eaten by a mimic :(
vv

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 25, 2012

gwaaargh
Jul 7, 2010

by XyloJW
Thank you, Sen's Fortress, for introducing me to the game's first mimic.

Oh, I can't back out of its mouth? Ok, I'll just wait until I'm dead. No problem.

Thanks.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Frankosity posted:

Go with the one you like using more. I don't like katanas, but really like Balder/Longsword movesets. I wouldn't say one is better though.

edit- Polo-Rican said it better.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

gwaaargh posted:

Thank you, Sen's Fortress, for introducing me to the game's first mimic.

Oh, I can't back out of its mouth? Ok, I'll just wait until I'm dead. No problem.

Thanks.

You can fight them off by mashing but it does do a lot of damage. Just hit every treasure box you see with your weapon before you try to open it, free hit on mimics and tells you which ones aren't real.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

FishBulb posted:

You can fight them off by mashing but it does do a lot of damage. Just hit every treasure box you see with your weapon before you try to open it, free hit on mimics and tells you which ones aren't real.
Carry a few Lloyd's talismans, they make Mimic fights trivial (instantly makes them sit back down for a few free hits). It's also the best way to farm them for a Symbol of Avarice.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

FishBulb posted:

If you don't like bashing your weapon against every box you see, try pausing to stare closely at chests that seem suspicious or out of place. Mimics will move very slightly from time to time; sometimes they will open their lids and expand a little in a subtle "breathing" motion

It was pure poo poo-luck that I noticed that on my very first Mimic, and I've kept a keen eye for it ever since. I've never been killed by one of those things, although I've come close once or twice, and I've never been taken off-guard by them at all.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
There's an even easier way to tell which chests are mimics... spoilered in case anyone wants to retain the surprise:

Real chests have a chain on the side that curls inwards. Mimics always have a chain that points outwards. http://i.imgur.com/cqgl1.jpg

edit:
Ha ha

vvv

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
Re: Mimics I also learned via a youtube video that you can tell tham apart by the way the chain is laying on the ground. If the loose end is pointing towards you, it's a Mimic. If it is pointing away from you, it is safe.

Polo-rican :argh:

:v: I finally thought I had something to contribute tot this thread.

Sleepstupid fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 25, 2012

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Frankosity posted:

I can honestly say I never procced Bleed on anything before killing it normally, not even bosses. Then again, my only dex run was also my magic run so I wasn't swinging wildly at them...

Also, more should use the cleaver. Pretty strong, pretty fast and has the best 1H strong attack in the game. Seriously.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think Bleed is mainly for PvP and the various reskinned Demon bosses, i.e. Stray and Firesage. Almost everything else will either die before it triggers like you said, or has armor and you'll just never hit the mark.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bleed works on like, a shitton of bosses though? It even works on Ornstein and Smough :psyduck:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Alabaster White posted:

Bleed works on like, a shitton of bosses though? It even works on Ornstein and Smough :psyduck:

It even works on the giant knights in AL, but it takes at least three or more hits to trigger.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

You know what also works on bosses? Soulspear. :dukedog:

Also, I play low Vit characters and can't afford to be hit and so don't hit fast and quick enough to procc it most of the time. Hell, that Dex/Int character had 8 Vit and 8 End, I wasn't taking any hits like that or risks.

EC posted:

It even works on the giant knights in AL, but it takes at least three or more hits to trigger.

What kinda punk rear end Scythe you using if they aren't dead in 3 hits?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Deceitful Penguin posted:

You know what also works on bosses? Soulspear. :dukedog:

*cough* Crystal Soul Spear *cough*

quote:

What kinda punk rear end Scythe you using if they aren't dead in 3 hits?

Join me in NGx5, and I'll show you. :smug: For real though, dudes have a LOT of HP. I usually kill 'em with magic unless I'm having to save it for some reason.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Bleed is one of those things that, I think, becomes more valuable the deeper into the pluses you go... because HP may increase, resistances may increase, but %HP is %HP.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

FYI Demon's Souls servers will remain up for now.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard
Thank god. I've been spending the last month making several builds to enjoy before they went down. Will be nice to get more time out of them.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

In the past couple of weeks the burg has gone from a solid pvp spot to the piece of poo poo that the Kiln is, 3 v 1 ganks and Giant MoM/Childs minmaxers. It's not AS bad, but it's definitely worse than a month ago and progressively getting moreso.

vv: The problem with that is those are more (in my experience) spots where you can get good invasions, as opposed to good duels which is what the Burg and (previously) Kiln are for.

Read fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 25, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Read posted:

In the past couple of weeks the burg has gone from a solid pvp spot to the piece of poo poo that the Kiln is, 3 v 1 ganks and Giant MoM/Childs minmaxers.

That certainly didn't take long. You should invade (or host) at the balcony bonfire in the Archives, I had some good matches there. The bonfire in Demons Ruins is good as well.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Read posted:

In the past couple of weeks the burg has gone from a solid pvp spot to the piece of poo poo that the Kiln is, 3 v 1 ganks and Giant MoM/Childs minmaxers. It's not AS bad, but it's definitely worse than a month ago and progressively getting moreso.

vv: The problem with that is those are more (in my experience) spots where you can get good invasions, as opposed to good duels which is what the Burg and (previously) Kiln are for.

You can just host if you want to duel people, it doesn't take that long to find a match in the Kiln.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

EC posted:

*cough* Crystal Soul Spear *cough*
Don' finish my Soul Spear charges with all my mods. :smug:

EC posted:

Join me in NGx5, and I'll show you. :smug: For real though, dudes have a LOT of HP. I usually kill 'em with magic unless I'm having to save it for some reason.
Yeah, I thought of doing a pure dex but honestly, trying out magic looked neat. It's a shame you can't low-level it like pyromancy to troll newbs though.
And Pie beats Scythe. :v:

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
Anyone have one of those fully-stocked supermules? I've been working on building my own and holy craps I just can't take it anymore. PSN is misterbing13, please end my pain.

dahlis
Oct 26, 2005

Demolitions Expert
So I made it to the merchant in Sen's fortress and suddenly felt a strong urge to get the uchi...er...that Uma Thurman weapon from Kill Bill. Should I just go kill that first merchant? I know you can get it if you join the forrest covenant but I really, really hate that place and don't really wanna go there right now.
At the moment I'm using the lightning spear from the mimic but I figured that an upgraded ...asian weapon...might come in handy later on?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Uchigatana's pretty good in PvP, as well, HOWEVER, you're far enough in the game that you can get a free copy (with a much better 2h R2, although I do like the Uchi's fairly quick stab 1h R2). In Blighttown, coming from the Depths, you might spot an item on a tower. You've gotta make a flying leap there, and you'll get the Iaito. It doesn't look as nicely textured as the Uchigatana, but it's nearly identical except for it's R2 move and a couple points less in raw damage.

Otherwise, kill the Male Merchant if that's too hard for you. Personally I still don't even know where the hell Shiva shows up in Blighttown, I've never seen him except outside of the cat's hut. Which sucks because I'd like a Washing Pole for my collection.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Mr. Bing posted:

Anyone have one of those fully-stocked supermules? I've been working on building my own and holy craps I just can't take it anymore. PSN is misterbing13, please end my pain.

I'd be interested in one too if anybody feels like helping me out. I'm on 360, GT: andrew smash .

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
Shiva hangs out on swamp level, right underneath the ferris wheel that takes you up to the Valley of Drakes shortcut.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Bing posted:

Shiva hangs out on swamp level, right underneath the ferris wheel that takes you up to the Valley of Drakes shortcut.

Thanks for that, I'll grab the WP when I head into Blighttown on my current NG+.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

You can just host if you want to duel people, it doesn't take that long to find a match in the Kiln.

I often do host, the problem is that the Kiln especially is full of people with super min-maxy builds that aren't terribly fun or interesting to fight. After you've fought 500 Mask of the Mother / Giants Chest / Giants Gloves / Giants Legs, Ring of Favor and Protection, Dark Wood Grain Ring and Black Knight Greataxe (or Dragonslayer Spear, or Washing Pole +DMB/CMW) players, you're not really interested in fighting another. The Burg was, for a while, somewhere you could fight people out for just a straight up good fight instead of people who were obsessed with getting the win.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

What do PvPers here think about the Demon Great Machete?

I love the high base damage and the A strength scaling since it means I kill almost everyone in 2-3 hits (usually one if I land a jumping attack, BS, riposte, or the near-useless special move). The sheer power of the thing is amazing.

But I also feel like I'm having issues getting outranged by a surprisingly large number of weapons. It's not helped by the great machete being incredibly slow and the fact that my build only has 13 poise unless I sacrifice ninja flips for a wolf ring. I can still win with it, of course, by being tricky about rolling attacks (at which point almost everyone tries to run away and flask, which usually lets me end the fight with a jump attack) and fishing for backstabs, but I feel incredibly limited against someone aggressively attacking with a longer range weapon.

Is there anything like the DGM in terms of damage and scaling that has a better reach or moveset? I generally hate the default axe/hammer/greataxe, though I haven't tried greatclubs, and if I'd be willing to try anything if it offered something good enough.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I don't get why people min/max so much in this game, it's so much more fun to just do whatever you want.

Brigand Hood, Armor of the Glorious, Giant Gauntlets or Black Iron Gauntlets for a bit of poise, and Waistcoat of the Channelers. This is visually my favorite setup and it's what I use when I PvP. Swap the Glorious Armor for Paladin Armor when I'm not PvPing/think the little tiny bit of extra protection will help me and that's my favorite non-PvP setup as well.

The only indulgences I really take are the Lightning Uchigatana and the Dark Wood Grain Ring. The ring only really so I don't have to deal with mid-speed or fatty rolling. Even the uchi I'm trying to distance myself from, since I like the movesets and looks of curved swords much more - probably gonna do a Dex. build in my next NG run.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

What do PvPers here think about the Demon Great Machete?

I love the high base damage and the A strength scaling since it means I kill almost everyone in 2-3 hits (usually one if I land a jumping attack, BS, riposte, or the near-useless special move). The sheer power of the thing is amazing.

But I also feel like I'm having issues getting outranged by a surprisingly large number of weapons. It's not helped by the great machete being incredibly slow and the fact that my build only has 13 poise unless I sacrifice ninja flips for a wolf ring. I can still win with it, of course, by being tricky about rolling attacks (at which point almost everyone tries to run away and flask, which usually lets me end the fight with a jump attack) and fishing for backstabs, but I feel incredibly limited against someone aggressively attacking with a longer range weapon.

Is there anything like the DGM in terms of damage and scaling that has a better reach or moveset? I generally hate the default axe/hammer/greataxe, though I haven't tried greatclubs, and if I'd be willing to try anything if it offered something good enough.
Used properly, the Demon Great Machete is probably the best of the Ultra Greatswords, it has considerable reach (especially on the rolling R1 poke) and high damage. It's swings have enough arc to pose a threat to a BSer and are quick enough to stunlock. The R2s are largely useless, but that's fairly common amongst the rare-r weapons.

Since the Demon Great Machete is an Ultra Greatsword it shares it's moveset (with the exception of it's R2s) with the Zweihander, Greatsword, Black Knight Greatsword and Dragon Greatsword. Of these, only the BK Greatsword has decent scaling (B/E/-/-) but the Zweihander makes up for it's poor scaling with relatively high base damage for it's low requirements (24 STR vs the 40 for the Demon Great Machete) and comparatively low weight (10 vs 18).

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shima Honnou posted:

I don't get why people min/max so much in this game, it's so much more fun to just do whatever you want.

Brigand Hood, Armor of the Glorious, Giant Gauntlets or Black Iron Gauntlets for a bit of poise, and Waistcoat of the Channelers. This is visually my favorite setup and it's what I use when I PvP. Swap the Glorious Armor for Paladin Armor when I'm not PvPing/think the little tiny bit of extra protection will help me and that's my favorite non-PvP setup as well.

The only indulgences I really take are the Lightning Uchigatana and the Dark Wood Grain Ring. The ring only really so I don't have to deal with mid-speed or fatty rolling. Even the uchi I'm trying to distance myself from, since I like the movesets and looks of curved swords much more - probably gonna do a Dex. build in my next NG run.

I know what you mean by do what you want. I'm wearing Ornstein's Armor and the Gold Rimmed Black Hood because good god drat does that look awesome. Once I've got the END for it I'll toss on Havel's arms and legs for the full awesome looking beefy experience, because the Shadow set looks kinda goofy.

Also I love getting achievements for making weapons I need. Just made a +10 Divine Manserpent Greatsword because the Astora's sword +5 is a joke in NG+ against Nito, and ding! Fifteen points. Amazing that 150+ hours into this thing I'm still getting stuff.

Anyone tried making ridiculous characters? I made a beefy purple knight with no shirt who looks coal black when he's Hollow. It's kind of neat. I also have a retarded smurf barbarian and an Oompa Loompa mage, because holy crap some of those skin tones you can pull off.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I just dark handed someone and stole 10 humanity :q:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Contra Duck posted:

I just dark handed someone and stole 10 humanity :q:

Occasionally someone will let me sap their humanity :3:
I usually give them some Titanite as a reward.

e: apparently I'm a scrub for backstabbing someone instead of doing the "honorable" thing and lobbing Chaos pyromancies everywhere :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 26, 2012

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I remember someone else in the thread mentioning it, so I finally went with the BB glitch and rolled a new character, going for an assasin/ninja dex build. I'd only ever played around with my STR/FTH paladin before, so this is a really refreshing change of pace.

Lvl 35, Ninja set, with Uchi as my main and left hand holding some other curved sword, just for the sick-as-gently caress looking parry animation.

Then get just enoug attunement to equip Toxic Mist, Poison Mist, and Chameleon.

Cast chameleon, position in a narrow space, and bam, before anyone knows what the gently caress is happening, TOXIC.

Now I just need to renew my live access again. Goddamnit Korea, why you gotta make it so complicated to get live?

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

Anyone tried making ridiculous characters? I made a beefy purple knight with no shirt who looks coal black when he's Hollow. It's kind of neat. I also have a retarded smurf barbarian and an Oompa Loompa mage, because holy crap some of those skin tones you can pull off.

I have a fatty fat fat Sunbro who's nose is literally concave, bright fuckin purple, and a mouth jutting from his face. The mouth is also wider than his entire head.

Sunbro, because the sun is the only bro he'll ever have.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dewgy posted:

I made a Very Large-built dude solely to wear Smough's set in all its hilariously obese glory. He has a grin stretching across all of his face, and with the knight helmet you can't see his eyes so all you get is the mouth and it's a bit reminiscent of the TF2 soldier. Also with the knight helmet and Smough everything else, he is almost perfectly round.

It's amazing and I think it looks very reassuring to people who summon me. They see this enormous dude with the smuggest face and and it just feels like he knows what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dewgy posted:

For shits I kinda want to make a guy wearing Smough's set who dual wields bonewheel shields. One fire, one lightning.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 26, 2012

• Locked thread