Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

CommissarMega posted:

So's this, but that doesn't stop people.

It looks harder on the outside. Compared to some of the other games in the genre, Touhou is pretty light. It's primarily pattern recognition, with a bit of 'random' dodging (which mostly comes down to foresight in not getting yourself stuck in a stupid position). :spergin:

e: This should be the standard for bullshit incomprehensible how-do-people-play-this-poo poo stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZuidKexBQ

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011
Maybe I'm missing something, but when I see a game titled "Cloudberry Kingdom" I expect a lot more bears?

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
Skyjacker has re-launched their Kickstarter. It looks more streamlined/easier to understand, and they included some of the soundtrack, which is pretty neat. Hopefully this one works better for them.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Wendell posted:

All right, I just looked at Cloudberry Kingdom. I don't even want to touch that, it looks unbelievably frustrating.

There are a subset of games out there that are only played for bragging rights. I feel pretty secure in saying that no one has ever actually had 'fun' playing I Wanna Be The Guy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

lordfrikk posted:

I am still amazed how can someone navigate and play the levels in Cloudberry Kingdom. It's like those videos of Guitar Hero when poo poo is flying in at light speed and the player manages to press the right buttons perfectly anyway. It makes my head :psyduck:

Huh? What? I've been playing Cloudberry Kingdom, mostly Escalation mode(because as of right now that's the only way to use a hero with custom physics), and it seems totally reasonable. It doesn't even get difficult until like level 30+ on Escalation. Even then it's not totally insanely hard like Super Meat Boy or anything. I'm sure it could be if you cranked everything up to the hardest possible settings but cloudberry kingdom is a game with a high difficulty ceiling AND a low difficulty floor.

Also, I can vouch that Cloudberry Kingdom is pretty fun if you like platformers. A word of warning though I find that the default heroes control a little weirdly but if you make your own guy and tweak the physics it's great, very responsive.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
Malevolence got funded. They released stretch goals which go up to $20,000. Unfortunately, since the game is set to release this year they won't be able to put that stuff into the game, so the extra money will go towards an expansion. I guess the expansion will make it even more infinite?

And in indiegogo news...

Dragons!
http://www.indiegogo.com/dragons

Graphics could be better and they don't even have a website yet but the game looks interesting. Basically you create a dragon, get dropped into a randomly generated world and start loving poo poo up and stealing gold for your treasure pile. There are different factions like wizards, knights and orcs you can do missions for or destroy. You also get some followers you can use to build defenses and traps around your treasure pile as dudes will try to steal it. Once you get strong enough dragon hunters will start coming after you. Could be alright.

Goal: $4,000
You get the game at: $10 drm-free, $20 also all future expansions
Time left: 23 days, $0 raised so far :(

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Why couldn't that be on Kickstarter instead? :(

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

Why couldn't that be on Kickstarter instead? :(

Maybe they aren't in America.

quote:

Yep.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Maybe they aren't in America.

Yep.

There are multiple Dutch studios on Kickstarter, its doable.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Davincie posted:

There are multiple Dutch studios on Kickstarter, its doable.

There are multiple Dutch studios on Kickstarter because they're using connections they have in the States to work under a US bank account. Not everyone has those connections.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mq posted:

Malevolence got funded. They released stretch goals which go up to $20,000. Unfortunately, since the game is set to release this year they won't be able to put that stuff into the game, so the extra money will go towards an expansion. I guess the expansion will make it even more infinite?

And in indiegogo news...

Dragons!
http://www.indiegogo.com/dragons

Graphics could be better and they don't even have a website yet but the game looks interesting. Basically you create a dragon, get dropped into a randomly generated world and start loving poo poo up and stealing gold for your treasure pile. There are different factions like wizards, knights and orcs you can do missions for or destroy. You also get some followers you can use to build defenses and traps around your treasure pile as dudes will try to steal it. Once you get strong enough dragon hunters will start coming after you. Could be alright.

Goal: $4,000
You get the game at: $10 drm-free, $20 also all future expansions
Time left: 23 days, $0 raised so far :(

This looks interesting.

Flexible Funding

Oh. :smith:
No thanks.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Carmageddon: Reincarnation is 8k shy of meeting its goal! :neckbeard: Still needs 200k if people want Mac/Linux ports, though.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kyrosiris posted:

Carmageddon: Reincarnation is 8k shy of meeting its goal! :neckbeard: Still needs 200k if people want Mac/Linux ports, though.
That GOG tie in really helped. They got $37,002 that day, their 4th most popular day so far and $20,224 the day after.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Huh? What? I've been playing Cloudberry Kingdom, mostly Escalation mode(because as of right now that's the only way to use a hero with custom physics), and it seems totally reasonable. It doesn't even get difficult until like level 30+ on Escalation. Even then it's not totally insanely hard like Super Meat Boy or anything. I'm sure it could be if you cranked everything up to the hardest possible settings but cloudberry kingdom is a game with a high difficulty ceiling AND a low difficulty floor.

Also, I can vouch that Cloudberry Kingdom is pretty fun if you like platformers. A word of warning though I find that the default heroes control a little weirdly but if you make your own guy and tweak the physics it's great, very responsive.

I meant the levels in the videos on their KS page. I am not aware of the actual playable levels.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

Kyrosiris posted:

Aaaand they've made it! :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvKI0aOIzac

Aww. :3:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
FleetCOMM guys decide to put up a post about how they're using the funds:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mercenary-games/vigrior-maneuver-warfare/posts/235232

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Maybe there was a post on this I missed, but that Alcarys Complex game was successfully funded.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Fallout Nuka Break Season 2 has surpassed the $100,000 mark with 20 more days to go. It appears they will get 200% funding ($120,000), and thus ensuring Chris Avellone and Tim Cain's contribution as writers.

AllanGordon
Jan 26, 2010

by Shine

The MSJ posted:

Fallout Nuka Break Season 2 has surpassed the $100,000 mark with 20 more days to go. It appears they will get 200% funding ($120,000), and thus ensuring Chris Avellone and Tim Cain's contribution as writers.

Is season 1 worth checking out?

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

The MSJ posted:

It just suddenly dropped by $2,500. I still think it can make it, but it is still something of a set back.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AllanGordon posted:

Is season 1 worth checking out?

Ys, Chris Avellone helped out on it and it's pretty impressively made, from a technical standpoint. Their assets look just like game assets and their humor is decent. The acting is good too, in my book.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
I just noticed something dumb about Indiegogo. Apparently if the project doesn't get any money in the couple first days, it stops showing up in the category view. It can be only found if you search for it directly. I guess this explains why a couple of games I found there suddenly disappeared.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The Xenonauts lead's IAmA on Reddit is actually kind of interesting:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ua9t8/iama_indie_video_game_developer_who_broke_into/

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The Word Realms kickstarter has more or less crawled to a standstill. It has 22 days to make an additional $50.5k and hasn't even made $1k for the last couple of days. It's a shame because I really want that Kingdom of Loathing item think that the guys behind it would do a really good job with this game, and it looks a lot more fun than Word Whomp on Pogo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

NINbuntu 64 posted:

There are multiple Dutch studios on Kickstarter because they're using connections they have in the States to work under a US bank account. Not everyone has those connections.

You mean like contacting a bank and asking for an account? It's only ludicrously hard the other way around as State has started tracking down tax-dodgers and their demands for oversight generally don't meet the banks expectations.

If they mean corporate EIN/SSN and incorporation, then there is a charge connected with that, but it's also chicken feed compared with fund-raising.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Red Minjo posted:

The Word Realms kickstarter has more or less crawled to a standstill. It has 22 days to make an additional $50.5k and hasn't even made $1k for the last couple of days. It's a shame because I really want that Kingdom of Loathing item think that the guys behind it would do a really good job with this game, and it looks a lot more fun than Word Whomp on Pogo.

Between this and Kinetic Void I'm beginning to think the period of Hey everyone get your free money is beginning to run out a lot sooner than anticipated. Not that you can't make some money on KS because 50k is nothing to sneeze at, but that maybe developers should lower their revenue expectations and hope to exceed them. I wonder if even a success story like the Banner Saga would've done as well if it had been released now.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
After the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter, a lot of new backers joined and started supporting projects. The majority of those backers are now more than likely already invested in several projects that they haven't seen the results of yet, and are either reluctant or unable to support more (or simply not interested enough in the ones currently out there). That means you either need to have something really special to get those backers to support yet another project, or stand out enough to attract new backers to Kickstarter.

Personally I've got over $1000 put into finished and currently running campaigns (some of which probably won't reach their goals), and if I'm going to put any more money into Kickstarter projects, it's going to take something REALLY special. I'm already expecting several of the projects I've backed to be disappointing or outright failures, and the total tally of money put in vs. entertaining products returned is going to decide to what degree I back more projects in the future, and that's going to take time to find out.

In short, I think the Kickstarter boost to games has simply drawn in too much money in too short a time to leave room for a lot of large projects at this time, at least until people get something in return for their money. They're gonna have to attract a lot more new backers to Kickstarter if they're going to keep up the pace they've kept recently. These aren't rich investors, after all, they're regular people with a limited budget to spread around.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 30, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Al Lowe (from Leisure Suit Larry) apparently started a second kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1787675232/sam-suedetm-in-undercover-exposure?ref=category
Also with Ken Wegrzyn and Steve Ince.

The rewards kinda own, you can get yourself naked in the game if you want for some godforsaken reason but you can also get a private concert by Al Lowe.

Davincie fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 30, 2012

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice

Davincie posted:

Al Lowe (from Leisure Suit Larry) apparently started a second kickstarter:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1787675232/sam-suedetm-in-undercover-exposure?ref=category
Also with Ken Wegrzyn and Steve Ince.

Apparently, this isn't as legit as it seems. Al Lowe and Paul Trowe are planning to sue: http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/30/leisure-suit-larry-creator-wants-infringing-kickstarter-campaign-taken-down-exclusive/

Utritum fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 30, 2012

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Utritum posted:

Apparently, this isn't as legit as it seems. Al Lowe and Paul Trowe are planning to sue: http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/30/leisure-suit-larry-creator-wants-infringing-kickstarter-campaign-taken-down-exclusive/

Congrats, Wisecrack Games, you managed to out-sleaze Al Lowe.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I'm guessing anyone reading this thread is also reading the Kinetic Void thread or is already aware of it, but for people who maybe forgot about it or meant to pledge but haven't yet: it has six hours left and needs another $10,000.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Star Guarded posted:

I'm guessing anyone reading this thread is also reading the Kinetic Void thread or is already aware of it, but for people who maybe forgot about it or meant to pledge but haven't yet: it has six hours left and needs another $10,000.

Really, if you have any interest in space games, give this some real consideration. Aside from looking cool conceptually, the development process is near completely transparent.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Really, if you have any interest in space games, give this some real consideration. Aside from looking cool conceptually, the development process is near completely transparent.

They're like a Mojang that actually seems to have some sort of direction and competency.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Star Guarded posted:

It just gained something like $2,000 since you posted this. :v:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Might be because it was also posted in the Steam thread.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Tsurupettan posted:

It just gained something like $2,000 since you posted this. :v:
I know! That's really exciting. It seems like they're definitely going to get it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Francois Kofko posted:

Might be because it was also posted in the Steam thread.

Those stingy bastards? They will frequently post "hey this game is $1, is it any good? I need to be sure."

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

Those stingy bastards? They will frequently post "hey this game is $1, is it any good? I need to be sure."

A point. Especially in the context that there's not nearly enough people that would have seen it since then for any meaningful change from them!
(that was a dumb conclusion oops)

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Francois Kofko posted:

A point. Especially in the context that there's not nearly enough people that would have seen it since then for any meaningful change from them!
(that was a dumb conclusion oops)

It's because TotalBiscuit tweeted about it :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

seal it with a kiss posted:

It's because TotalBiscuit tweeted about it :ssh:
Ah, there we go. I was wondering where the surge came from. Well, I'm glad he did!