Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!

Popehoist posted:

is a scotsman welcome in your thread? i'll just be in the corner killing myself

Please check in with us when this is all over. I hope you're okay :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

msj817 posted:

This is one of the best beers I've drank in a long time.

Joe Corona: great play, less filler

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I need a new pair of pants.

McDutchy
May 1, 2009
Klinsman's so confident he's putting on Castillo...

who promptly gives it away with his first touch. :doh:

e: and his 2nd.

But otherwise, holy poo poo this is good.

McDutchy fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 27, 2012

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
God this is terrific. Landon silencing any doubts about his drive for the nats.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Holy poo poo how did I not know there was a thread for the US national teams.

HOLY poo poo HOW DID I NOT KNOW THE MNT COULD PLAY LIKE THIS.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Not to be a downer, but I ought to point out that we're doing this against Scotland. By all rights, we SHOULD be doing this to Scotland. I want us to do this to a high-end CONMEBOL/UEFA team.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Well, this is in the bag, time to secede from this thread for a glorious Cascadia.

See y'all on Wednesday.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Fancy rear end Ho posted:

Not to be a downer, but I ought to point out that we're doing this against Scotland. By all rights, we SHOULD be doing this to Scotland. I want us to do this to a high-end CONMEBOL/UEFA team.
Yeah. I think many of us were expecting the normal US team, where we'd be lucky to squeeze out a one goal win.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Why should we definitely be doing this to Scotland? They are better than just about anyone in our confederation, barring Mexico.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

LYE-OONS posted:

Why should we definitely be doing this to Scotland? They are better than just about anyone in our confederation, barring Mexico.

The United States are better than just about anyone in our confederation, too. And we should be doing this to Scotland. I wanna do this to France.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

The United States are better than just about anyone in our confederation, too. And we should be doing this to Scotland. I wanna do this to France.

But I don't understand why we should be thumping Scotland. We don't do this to Honduras (who is worse than Scotland). We should probably be beating Scotland, but doing this is an unexpected thing.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Well, tune in Wednesday to see where that wish gets us.

Frank Starman
Nov 22, 2007
5 - 1?? What is this??? I don't even-

msj817 posted:

This is one of the best beers I've drank in a long time.

I'll have what you're having.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

LYE-OONS posted:

But I don't understand why we should be thumping Scotland. We don't do this to Honduras (who is worse than Scotland). We should probably be beating Scotland, but doing this is an unexpected thing.

I might be holding the United States to a higher standard. We didn't do that to Honduras under Bradley. Bradley played cautious counterattacking ball. Klinsmann is starting to get the players to play in his style, and the style is starting to manifest with this game. Again, it's a start. We've always had the talent, but now we have the training.

Who's up next on Wednesday?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Meaningless game, Scotland playing for nothing, end of season friendly, they are there out of obligation. Can't take anything from it which is why my Dont Watch Friendlies policy always keeps me happy

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

please respond posted:

Meaningless game, Scotland playing for nothing, end of season friendly, they are there out of obligation. Can't take anything from it which is why my Dont Watch Friendlies policy always keeps me happy

Not really. Levein is desperately trying to find a new system and set of players that he feels confident to take into the september qualifiers and these friendlies are very important for that.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Who's up next on Wednesday?
Brazil. It'll be interesting to see if we still try to play the same style of game in that one as we did tonight, and if we do, how well it works.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
drat European teams are poo poo, thank god the USA will be facing a real team next

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

What a night to have a wedding to go to.

Urgggh.

Thank god for DVR

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
You can say friendlies are meaningless, fine, but you're gonna feel a lot better when we're on the business end of a 5-1 match, so gently caress it.

I thought Torres played incredibly well in the distribution role created for him. Now let's see how it works against a team like that one we're playing in a few days.

E: I (still) really like the home shirts, but they gotta change the # color to blue or something.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My Ray Parlour experience has greatly improved since I put PR on ignore.

Missed the game, but just finished watching the highlights. Glad to see the USMNT playing well together. Hopefully they can ride that momentum into the Brasil game and continue to perform.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So hey I was actually at this game, first MNT game I've actually attended. Was kinda obligated to go to this one since I live in Jacksonville.

I've lost my voice, my back hurts because gently caress, going to a soccer game in the supporter's section is hard work when you're fat, and I have developed a sudden increased sense of patriotism which will immediately be shattered next time I watch the MNT play on TV. :patriot:

Speaking of the supporter section how loud were we, we tried to keep it up but we kinda started half-assing it around the fifth goal scored by an American.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

JT Jag posted:

So hey I was actually at this game, first MNT game I've actually attended. Was kinda obligated to go to this one since I live in Jacksonville.

I've lost my voice, my back hurts because gently caress, going to a soccer game in the supporter's section is hard work when you're fat, and I have developed a sudden increased sense of patriotism which will immediately be shattered next time I watch the MNT play on TV. :patriot:

Speaking of the supporter section how loud were we, we tried to keep it up but we kinda started half-assing it around the fifth goal scored by an American.

I sat behind the opposite goal and you guys were pretty loud most of the game. I could hear most of the chants clearly

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

please respond posted:

Even if that is the case, I can't imagine a professional athlete's pride not stepping in and giving them something to play for after going behind a couple goals.

No one wants to get beat that badly.

So until I watch the game: Who was the standout? I keep hearing Landy, and someone was tweeting that they hadn't seen a CM of ours boss like Bradley since Reyna.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Highlight reel from U.S. Soccer: http://youtu.be/K2SSZfLiO70

Not sure you can limit it to one standout. Donovan played well regardless of the three goals. Jones probably played his best game with the USMNT to date. Bradley was fantastic on the ball. Torres was pretty good serving as a hub for distribution.

Hell, even Boyd did pretty drat well in the Jozy roll (as did Gomez when he replaced him).

E: Forgot about Fabian. For better or worse, LB seems to be his for now.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 27, 2012

Octoduck
Feb 8, 2006

Rudy had heart,
but he still sucked.

please respond posted:

A quality post as usual.

A lot of good performances, would rather see someone other than the 30 year olds racking up goals though. Fun stuff.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
Good thing we have other players who can score because our only noteworthy striker is poo poo

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Pia announces the 18-woman roster for the Olympics.

Looks good!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

I'm familiar with everyone except for Sauerbrunn and Leroux, how are they?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Leroux's alright.

She found the net a few times during the Algarve Cup, too.

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 27, 2012

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

CubanMissile posted:

I'm familiar with everyone except for Sauerbrunn and Leroux, how are they?

Leroux scored 5 in one of the Olympic qualifier matches, after coming in as a second half sub.
Also she's already pissed off the entire nation of Canada, so she's got that going for her.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
She was great to watch (:P The Sars Volta) for the Sounders Women up here.

The Collector
Aug 9, 2011

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Rats raining down in the night during the Stanley Cup finals.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Pillbug

:swoon: x2

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Those two.

And it sounds like they're changing the number colors on the home jerseys – may have been violating FIFA rules.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

The SARS Volta posted:

Those two.

And it sounds like they're changing the number colors on the home jerseys – may have been violating FIFA rules.

I'm not surprised, I was at the WNT game and I couldn't read the numbers when they were right in front of me, let alone on television. I don't know who thought faint blue on white was a good idea in the first place.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

The SARS Volta posted:

Those two.

That is great news, because they looked awful. Navy blue would be perfect

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
England vs USA from 1994 is on Fox Soccer right now and it's hilarious to hear all of Wembley boo Alexi Lalas every time he touches the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DougieFFC
Mar 19, 2004

We are Fulham, super Fulham, we are Fulham, fuck Ch*lsea.
I was browsing the Wikipedia page for the Gold Cup 2013, and it claims that Argentina, Chile and Australia have been invited to participate (no source provided). Is this true?

• Locked thread