Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
As per terms of previous thread, this here's where to talk about general US national team related news outside of tournaments and league play--friendlies, callups, injuries, transfers, etc. Figured since we've been through an entire coaching cycle for the men's team it's time for a new thread.

Primarily this'll be the senior men's team, but as indicated by title, discussion of the women's and youth teams are welcome.

Starter topics: Game vs Mexico in ten days, Klinsi's first one at the wheel, who's getting the phone call this week? And who runs the youth teams now, since Rongen's back to being just crazy grampa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Hoover Dam posted:

And who runs the youth teams now, since Rongen's back to being just crazy grampa?

Has to be Reyna.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
I'm glad you made this thread, because the first page of the last US team thread is really depressing. Davies :smith:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
I would say Reyna, too, since he is basically on the same page as Klinsmann.

It really is going to be interesting to see who he picks as his assistant staff. That could either make this cycle incredibly successful or disappointingly bad.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Speaking of Alex Morgan, she scored a nasty volley today in the Mia Hamm Foundation celebrity charity game. And speaking of Rongen, he was the referee. Certainly called a better game than say Ricardo Salazar would have.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tripping the light fantastic

Howdy posted:

Speaking of Alex Morgan, she scored a nasty volley today in the Mia Hamm Foundation celebrity charity game. And speaking of Rongen, he was the referee. Certainly called a better game than say Ricardo Salazar would have.

Yeah, that volley was lovely (as was she :3:)

I wonder how many buddha statues Klinsi's gonna use at the training facilities.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Hope Solo was my first US Soccer crush and I'm not abandoning her just cause someone new sprung up. :colbert:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

kaldas posted:

Yeah, that volley was lovely (as was she :3:)

I wonder how many buddha statues Klinsi's gonna use at the training facilities.

I hear the sky's the limit

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
So I bought my first USA flag for last year's World Cup and brought it to the bar to watch the USMNT lose to Ghana. I brought it to the bar again to watch the USWNT lose to Japan. Do I bring it to the USMNT v. Costa Rica friendly on September 2, or is it cursed forever?

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT

CPColin posted:

So I bought my first USA flag for last year's World Cup and brought it to the bar to watch the USMNT lose to Ghana. I brought it to the bar again to watch the USWNT lose to Japan. Do I bring it to the USMNT v. Costa Rica friendly on September 2, or is it cursed forever?

If they lose to Costa Rica, burn it in the parking lot.

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
Yeah, a friendly against the Ticos seems like as good a time as any to test its curse quotient.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
Curses, being mystical things they are, know intimately the rules of baseball, and therefore operate on a three strikes you're out rule.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It might have something to do with this awesome/awful shirt I got at Walmart, which I also brought to those two losses. I'm wearing my brand-new USMNT jersey in September, though, so we'll see. (My attachment apparently fell asleep because the shirt is too awesome/awful.)

Edit: Oh there it is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CPColin fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 1, 2011

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I bought a pink headband to wear when i play from now on

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

CubanMissile posted:

Hope Solo was my first US Soccer crush and I'm not abandoning her just cause someone new sprung up. :colbert:

Agreed!

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
You drat youngsters. Back in my day we had Mia and we loved it.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

calcio posted:

You drat youngsters. Back in my day we had Kate Markgraf and we loved it.

FYP

Alex Morgan Celebration Station: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GxKGibyWFA

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The German press is getting angry haha.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
"Dammit we don't have time for this, why won't he answer our questions in German at his English speaking press conference for the United States National Team?"

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Howdy posted:

Alex Morgan Celebration Station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjdj7qhcTuw

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Real men were in love with Brandy Chastain first.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Sunil resembles a harpy.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.
Cap George John.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Callups later today. Good?

Also, Clarence Goodson was named captain of Bronby in his first year with the club ... Good?

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
Good, son.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Pride of Fairfax, VA :smug:

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

The SARS Volta posted:

Callups later today. Good?

Also, Clarence Goodson was named captain of Bronby in his first year with the club ... Good?

Klinsi says tomorrow now. He's personslly calling each player.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
A German news site is reporting Chandler got a callup.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Is this squad going to be mostly B-Team?

e: I don't ask cynically, just curious.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Is this squad going to be mostly B-Team?

e: I don't ask cynically, just curious.

Do we have expectations of an A and B team at this point?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Holy poo poo I didn't realize how good Klinsmann was as a player. Averaged better than a goal every two games, that's amazing for a career at the top level.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

msj817 posted:

Do we have expectations of an A and B team at this point?

We can be like Barcelona and call our B team USMNT B, so it is official. We'll fill it full of MLS cast-offs and have an automatic excuse whenever we lose a friendly.

e: Or maybe we can go the Man City route and have an Elite Squad.

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

LYE-OONS posted:

We can be like Barcelona and call our B team USMNT B, so it is official. We'll fill it full of MLS cast-offs and have an automatic excuse whenever we lose a friendly.

e: Or maybe we can go the Man City route and have an Elite Squad.

That would be nice. I was referring more to the fact that under the new regime we should reset all roster status expectations.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
A few of the top flight guys probably won't be there, i.e. Dempsey. Brother needs a break.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

The SARS Volta posted:

A few of the top flight guys probably won't be there, i.e. Dempsey. Brother needs a break.

That's what I meant, I guess. I wasn't sure how many of the guys abroad would get called up with the seasons having started or are starting soon.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

joshtothemaxx posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't realize how good Klinsmann was as a player. Averaged better than a goal every two games, that's amazing for a career at the top level.

pfft, thats nothing for a German striker. Go look up Gerd Mueller's scoring record: 68 goals in 62 caps for Germany and 489 in 565 for clubs.

GLC
Feb 21, 2001

dxt posted:

pfft, thats nothing for a German striker. Go look up Gerd Mueller's scoring record: 68 goals in 62 caps for Germany and 489 in 565 for clubs.

Pretty different era though.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Rumor is that Bill Hamid is getting called in for the Mexico camp(?), or at least whispers are out there. That could be cool.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right now Ricardo Clark is repeatedly dialing Moviefone just to make sure his phone works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Is he fit yet? Didn't he break his face a while ago?

• Locked thread