Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Drove home to my parent's house for the week. Tried to save my for a progress to the cloud so I could play a bit here. However my for a save file is 3 or 4 gigs.

So is the cloud service useless for Forza? You would think the game progress would be a desperate file from car and track packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhancyPants
Nov 15, 2003

Hotdog Suit Up!

jonathan posted:

Drove home to my parent's house for the week. Tried to save my for a progress to the cloud so I could play a bit here. However my for a save file is 3 or 4 gigs.

So is the cloud service useless for Forza? You would think the game progress would be a desperate file from car and track packs.

Mine syncs the save file to the cloud, but car packs and replays are on the HDD.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

PhancyPants posted:

Mine syncs the save file to the cloud, but car packs and replays are on the HDD.
Yep, this. The maximum space on your cloud storage (total) is 512MB, and it only allows save files. No game content. I think my Forza save is ~40-50MB.

Alternatively: buy an 8GB USB stick. :)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

speedtek posted:

Anyone see Sato catch that god-damned sticky grass today?
loving sticky grass. :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

loving sticky grass. :smith:

loving pubbies Dario and Ashley Judd.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010
The car club that my friends created, and that I've been a part of since launch, is more or less just me these days. In fact, the only person I am getting Rival Challenges from anymore is YF19pilot, since we friended up during the 82 car giveaway. I'm not much for online lobby races but I love the rivals...any room in GTCC for the likes of me?

Btw YF19pilot, grats on the clean lap on the "Love, Panamerican Style" challenge. I try...and I try...but drat.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Pinky the Cube posted:

Btw YF19pilot, grats on the clean lap on the "Love, Panamerican Style" challenge. I try...and I try...but drat.
No poo poo. A clean lap on the ring with traffic. He's a machine.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

GOD IS BED posted:

I remember you posting about that- do you utterly regret your decision yet? Or is the 500 working out great?

No regrets yet, I'm really enjoying the car believe it or not!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Pinky the Cube posted:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No poo poo. A clean lap on the ring with traffic. He's a machine.

Thanks for the compliments, but it's really just a lot of patience. A lot and lot of patience :negative:

Really though, I think my time was over the 10 min mark. There's people running laps as fast or faster than what I can do without traffic, and I'm unwilling to attempt a 2-lap 'hotlap' run.

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
So after reading some posts in this thread I thought i'd try playing with assists off, after a fair bit of practice i'm finally getting sort of good at it.

So good, infact, that I was almost about to win an A class 5 lap race on a public game... until I got a bit too confident on a bend and this happened...

some very very agressive racing saw me back up to 12th of 15th so all was not lost.

a question for those who use a manual w/ clutch, what button do you use for the clutch as I can't find a good combination that isn't too fiddly?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

backifran posted:

a question for those who use a manual w/ clutch, what button do you use for the clutch as I can't find a good combination that isn't too fiddly?
Nice pictures!

I just started using manual w/ clutch, and almost everyone sets clutch to "A" so that all you have to do is kind of mash A+B or A+X for shifting.

Pinky the Cube
Jul 21, 2010

backifran posted:

I've always stuck with LB. It is convenient enough to work and awkward enough to make me feel cool when I shift. It's also forever changed the way I hold my gamepad (left pointer always on lb, left birdie finger on the trigger). This, in turn, has made me a fiend with flashbangs in mw3, but that's off-topic.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

Really though, I think my time was over the 10 min mark. There's people running laps as fast or faster than what I can do without traffic, and I'm unwilling to attempt a 2-lap 'hotlap' run.

Even with the first lap traffic pattern memorized it's a real bitch, mainly because there are a lot of areas where the cars will follow the line right in the center of the track and leave no room on either side for passing, unless you want to risk putting two tires on the white lines and either run off or scrape the car as you pass. I spent a full minute stuck behind a pile of cars being held up by an Audi Q7 near the end, and my final time was a pathetic 11 and a half minutes as a result (still a top 500 time though).

Fortunately I live in the midwest, so dealing with lovely SUV drivers who weave everywhere and go way too slow on narrow roads is something I'm well-practiced in. :shepicide:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Hello Spaceman posted:

No, actually. But I'll investigate that with the receiver of my mail (mom).
Also, I'll just give you the code :glomp:

You're a sexy Safrican, get to the US so we can hoon it up sometime.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Scirocco Griffon posted:

Fortunately I live in the midwest, so dealing with lovely SUV drivers who weave everywhere and go way too slow on narrow roads is something I'm well-practiced in. :shepicide:

Passing midwestern midlife-crisis-amateur-racer convertibles on country roads in my '94 Explorer is a specialty of mine :smug:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So I bought the game used, thinking "ehh, it's a year old, there's not gonna be a huge goon presence, I'll probably barely play it...."
Well I was loving wrong. Goon rooms are awesome even if I'm terrible, and I love being there in the background while some of you from different clubs or whatever freak out on each other for basically no reason.
But I guess there was a code in new boxes to unlock the Odessa tracks, and not having those tracks is becoming annoying.
Does anyone have an extra code, or am I SOL unless I go back and buy it new?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Quad posted:

So I bought the game used, thinking "ehh, it's a year old, there's not gonna be a huge goon presence, I'll probably barely play it...."
Well I was loving wrong. Goon rooms are awesome even if I'm terrible, and I love being there in the background while some of you from different clubs or whatever freak out on each other for basically no reason.
But I guess there was a code in new boxes to unlock the Odessa tracks, and not having those tracks is becoming annoying.

You can buy the tracks from the xbox live marketplace.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Only a week now till we find out exactly what Horizons is then. God drat it, I hope the rumors that its going to be an open world persistent driving game are true.

I loved Test Drive Unlimited and can only imagine what it would be like done with Forza physics. (Only TDU1 mind, number two was a turd)

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
PYF Forza engines that make you go deaf while driving them:

Mazda 787B
RUF Rt 12 S
#17 Zonda Race Car

goddamn

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Quad posted:

Have you checked in the actual box? I bought mine used too and found the redeem codes in it. Luckily the previous owner hadn't used them.

Has anyone tried the $1/month Xbox Live advertised on the Xbox home screen (or whatever they call it)? I'm guessing it's easy to sign up but difficult to cancel after a month.

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:

L_Harrison posted:

Mazda 787B
RUF Rt 12 S
#17 Zonda Race Car

goddamn

#12 Ferrari Risi F333 SP

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The Pinto with a Focus motor swap and exhaust is a special kind of loud. :3:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

L_Harrison posted:

Mazda 787B
RUF Rt 12 S
#17 Zonda Race Car

goddamn

787b
RX7 GSL-SE (somehow sounds better/louder than the other RX7s)
Ford Transit w/V8 swap
Ferrari 250 GTO (this is seriously the best sounding car in this game)

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Ringo R posted:

Have you checked in the actual box? I bought mine used too and found the redeem codes in it. Luckily the previous owner hadn't used them.

Has anyone tried the $1/month Xbox Live advertised on the Xbox home screen (or whatever they call it)? I'm guessing it's easy to sign up but difficult to cancel after a month.

I used the £1 per month with no issues. just turn auto renewal off on xbox.com

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So are we not getting DLC in June? :(

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

L_Harrison posted:

Mazda 787B
RUF Rt 12 S
#17 Zonda Race Car

goddamn

Lancia Stradale.

I have a close and very loving relationship with all three Lancias, but the Stradale is definitely the one in my harem that is pretty loud during lovemaking and annoys the neighbours.

Sebastian Flyte fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 29, 2012

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I was already having fun with this game anyway but Saturday morning I turned off the racing line assist and at first it was awful, but after a while I got the hang of it and it's much more fun and engaging because I'm actually looking at the track instead of the green or red line.

Dumb question, how do you acquire the 787b? I don't see it in the Buy Cars section. I'm trying to collect all the rotary engine cars (I'm a nerd) and I'm having trouble finding this one.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

GutBomb posted:

I was already having fun with this game anyway but Saturday morning I turned off the racing line assist and at first it was awful, but after a while I got the hang of it and it's much more fun and engaging because I'm actually looking at the track instead of the green or red line.

Dumb question, how do you acquire the 787b? I don't see it in the Buy Cars section. I'm trying to collect all the rotary engine cars (I'm a nerd) and I'm having trouble finding this one.

God on you for turning off the racing line - I kept that thing on a good chunk of the way through Forza 1 and then a little bit in 3, and it really is a whole different game when you learn to drive without it. Next, try turning off ABS, that's another fun one to adjust to.

The 787 is in the American Le Mans Series DLC, which I think came out in March or something like that. It should still be showing up in your buy cars list, just with a little "DLC" flag in the corner. Is your Xbox not connected to the network at all?

EDIT: Actually, maybe you need to download the free car in that ALMS pack for it to show up in the cars list (and, incidentally, as itself and not "DLC car" blacked-out Jetta in online races). Anyway, you'll still need to fork over the seven bucks to drive the Mazda, but downloading the free car ought to make it show up in the list.

ANAmal.net fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 29, 2012

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
I know this is a dumb question but you have bought the DLC?
Should show up in the Mazda shop for lots of cash.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

ANAmal.net posted:

God on you for turning off the racing line - I kept that thing on a good chunk of the way through Forza 1 and then a little bit in 3, and it really is a whole different game when you learn to drive without it. Next, try turning off ABS, that's another fun one to adjust to.

I already play with ABS off (never actually played with it on) and the only assist I still have on is rewind (which obviously does nothing for me online anyway, which I'm doing a lot more of lately). The main races with AUGR always force the racing line off anyway so that gave me the impetus to try it full time and the side effects I've gotten from it is that I'm now actually learning the layout of the tracks and having fun racing, rather than just feeling like I'm following instructions. Also I feel like I'm lapping a lot smoother without the line because I would try to be very rigidly connected to the line. WIthout that line there to "tell me I'm in the wrong place on the track" I'm not worried about following it and everything became much more smooth and fluid. Especially with the 911 GT3 RS. God that's an awesome car.

ANAmal.net posted:

The 787 is in the American Le Mans Series DLC, which I think came out in March or something like that. It should still be showing up in your buy cars list, just with a little "DLC" flag in the corner. Is your Xbox not connected to the network at all?

I'm on the network and had the season pass so I should have the DLC. I'll check again when I get home. It's possible that I just missed it.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

backifran posted:

I use rb and lb to shift and A clutch. I can take my middle finger off gas enough to press A with my thumb while shifting with the bumpers. Its the easiest combination I've used.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Other option is map the clutch to A then when you change up or down just mash A and the gear change button with your thumb.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have the clutch set to the B button on my MS wheel, it's not as graceful as I would prefer because it obligates me to keep my thumb over the button which is a non-standard driving grip, but I can tap it plus a paddle shifter without too much trouble.

I've entertained thoughts of getting some wire and a spare button (like maybe a guitar stomp box or something) to solder a "clutch pedal" for my left foot, but have never gotten around to it. The parts are cheap.. the energy to do it, not so much.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

GutBomb posted:

Good for you, man. The racing line is a big-time crutch. You'll learn to start really using the braking markers, then when some clown takes those out, you'll learn to start using landmarks. A sign, a bald patch of grass, start of a rumble strip, etc. It really helps to engross you in the game.

I turned off the rewind, as well. I find that I tend to be more cautious because of it and it leads to better racing. Plus, more money.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I actually find the rewind to be a pretty powerful training tool. Yeah, it means you can erase a mistake. But it also means you can attempt a corner as many times as you want until you get it right.

(spoiler alert: the solution is almost always to take the corner slower)

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

GutBomb posted:

You can buy the tracks from the xbox live marketplace.

I so totally would, but they aren't there, only the TopGear soccer field is available to buy. Dammit T10, take my money!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

(spoiler alert: the solution is almost always to take the corner slower)

The one thing that taught me I was taking corners way too hot but only just barely getting away with it was the Porsche Expansion. The first two hours with it with frustrating but enlightening in the end.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Quad posted:

I so totally would, but they aren't there, only the TopGear soccer field is available to buy. Dammit T10, take my money!

You're right, I just found out that they haven't released this at all as DLC. I just figured it was included with the soccer DLC. That's crazy.

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB

Fraser CDN posted:

I use rb and lb to shift and A clutch. I can take my middle finger off gas enough to press A with my thumb while shifting with the bumpers. Its the easiest combination I've used.

Thanks to everyone who answered, I mapped it to A and mashing the buttons seems to work. Going to keep it off for now as I keep loving up corners trying to change down and get used to no ABS or TC. Next up turning the suggested line off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

xzzy posted:

I have the clutch set to the B button on my MS wheel, it's not as graceful as I would prefer because it obligates me to keep my thumb over the button which is a non-standard driving grip, but I can tap it plus a paddle shifter without too much trouble.

I've entertained thoughts of getting some wire and a spare button (like maybe a guitar stomp box or something) to solder a "clutch pedal" for my left foot, but have never gotten around to it. The parts are cheap.. the energy to do it, not so much.

Yeah, this is what has stopped me from going manual w/clutch with my MS wheel. I'm not willing to give up how well the wheel works for some annoying clutch button.

• Locked thread