Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

I've been using Far distance with 32-bit Java without any problem for a while now. :confused:

Well, installing 64-bit Java caused the game to no longer have a stroke within three seconds of loading a world, so I'm just guessing it was a Java problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Heteroy posted:

I'm having an awfully difficult time just buying Minecraft. The purchase page says it takes American Express, but when you select that option, brings you to a purchase page where Visa and Mastercard can be selected, but not American Express. When I try to use my Visa Debit card it won't process either, but possibly because of my issuing bank causing a fuss.

Then I try through PayPal, but that won't go through either, possibly because the currency is listed in Euros, and I'm using a US credit card? I'm not sure, but you'd think it would be easier to give someone money so you can download their product.

If you have the option, the 360 version is the one to go. Some features are toned down (map sizes) and it's out-of-date compared to the PC version, but it looks like it's the best version overall so far.

EDIT: If you have a 2009 notebook, that is.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 27, 2012

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Even after getting my new video card, minecraft would lock up and crash if I tried to play with Far rendering on. I upgraded to a 64bit OS and 64bit Java and Far worked like a dream.

I have a friend running 32bit windows and he's been on Far distance since day 1. Java is a weird beast.

HardDisk posted:

If you have the option, the 360 version is the one to go. Some features are toned down (map sizes) and it's out-of-date compared to the PC version, but it looks like it's the best version overall so far.

I cannot disagree more. The 360 version is unmoddable, has no texture pack support, and you can't use custom server plugins. While it has a "pick up and play" advantage, the 360 version of minecraft is inferior to the PC version in many respects.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

iolo_the_bard posted:

I cannot disagree more. The 360 version is unmoddable, has no texture pack support, and you can't use custom server plugins. While it has a "pick up and play" advantage, the 360 version of minecraft is inferior to the PC version in many respects.

True, but if I had a 360, I could actually play it instead of hoping for some "Minecraft is actually playable now" news.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HardDisk posted:

True, but if I had a 360, I could actually play it instead of hoping for some "Minecraft is actually playable now" news.

What do you mean "actually playable"? Minecraft is working fine, the login server is up and running, I was just playing yesterday with no problems.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

iolo_the_bard posted:

Let me tell you about edge cases:

These are all examples of them and Minecraft 360 is the fastest selling, most units sold XBLA game because of this.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

iolo_the_bard posted:

What do you mean "actually playable"? Minecraft is working fine, the login server is up and running, I was just playing yesterday with no problems.

If I can get more than 20 fps on Small render distance for more than 10 minutes it'll be a Christmas miracle.

Since 1.0 (since indev, actually), I hope for a patch that makes Minecraft not run like poo poo. I know that a 2009 notebook doesn't help, but I feel that Minecraft shouldn't consume as much resources as it does now.

Seeing the 360 version running smoothly and the PC version running like crap (on my end, at least) makes me want to recommend the 360 version. v:shobon:v

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HardDisk posted:

If I can get more than 20 fps on Small render distance for more than 10 minutes it'll be a Christmas miracle.

Since 1.0 (since indev, actually), I hope for a patch that makes Minecraft not run like poo poo. I know that a 2009 notebook doesn't help, but I feel that Minecraft shouldn't consume as much resources as it does now.

Seeing the 360 version running smoothly and the PC version running like crap (on my end, at least) makes me want to recommend the 360 version. v:shobon:v

Have you tried Optifine or Optimine? You may be able to get a framerate boost that way.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

iolo_the_bard posted:

Have you tried Optifine or Optimine? You may be able to get a framerate boost that way.

I did. It made the framerate better, but it was still generally unplayable.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HardDisk posted:

I had a very similar issue on a brand new laptop. Good laptop, Minecraft just ran like poo poo, and it ran like worse and worse poo poo as time went on.

I tried everything. Reinstalled all sorts of things, updated drivers, tweaked graphic card setting. I read every theory about why Minecraft shits itself like that (and there are a lot of them out there) and tried to fix the issue. Nothing worked.

And then I uninstalled Java and reinstalled it. For the third time.

Minecraft ran like a dream after that, far render distances for as long as you pleased.

The moral of this story is that Java is loving weird, and if your Minecraft is really fundamentally loving up like that, even if your computer's a pretty decent one, I'd bet on Java. Good luck getting Java to work right though! I have no idea how I did it in the end that was different from the previous two times I tried to uninstall/reinstall it.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 27, 2012

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Eiba posted:

The moral of this story is that Java is loving weird

QFT. Java chucking a wobbly for some unknown, unreproducible reason has caused so many people so much grief.

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD
Most times I play, after 30-60 minutes Minecraft will suddenly decide that it wants 1GB+ RAM to run, making it chug so hard I have to close it. I haven't seen anyone else complaining about this sort of thing, so is an apparently memory leak something I can fix?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Did you read the posts above yours saying to try reinstalling java (a few times)?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

A shrubbery! posted:

Most times I play, after 30-60 minutes Minecraft will suddenly decide that it wants 1GB+ RAM to run, making it chug so hard I have to close it. I haven't seen anyone else complaining about this sort of thing, so is an apparently memory leak something I can fix?

I've had this since I got Minecraft in beta and have never been able to fix it, reinstalling Java to Java 7 has recently made it better (Hour + run time before Java starts making GBS threads itself on memory issue), I've just gotten use to it I guess.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

IUG posted:

Did you read the posts above yours saying to try reinstalling java (a few times)?

Along with those posts I would suggest switching between 64 byte and 32 byte versions respectively (need 64-byte version operating system....obviously). I was personally running the 64 version of java with issues, then switched to 32 version and it cleared a lot of lag for me. On a separate occasion I began to notice lag with the 32 version and so switched back (this was after a major update) and my issues were cleared up once again.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My minecraft client has randomly decided it can't find minecraft.net... What the hell?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Hey LeschNyhan, guess what I found now?

This isn't part of the other two I already found and explored, and it seems pretty drat far away from the one you found, so I'm willing to bet this it mineshaft #4.

Seriously, if anyone else out there wants a seed that has more mineshafts than you'll ever know what to do with, try this one. Maybe wait until 1.3 though, assuming the worldgen doesn't altered significantly, just so you can get emeralds from them too.

Edit: Don't let the y-axis fool you. This is just the best "dead end" location I could find to maybe start from, when I go to explore it at some point in the future. It actually goes down to diamond level, which is where I first found it. Long story short, I came across it when connecting the mineshaft you found to the railway for the mineshaft I found with a tunnel, so it's just a lot of digging and caving under the ocean.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 28, 2012

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I have a dilemma. I have my gleaming silver sky castle mostly built (walls, floors and spiral staircase up, haven't decided how to do the roof) on a pretty awesome mountain overhang, but the peak next door, I just realized, has a much nicer overhang.

Pro: the castle could be a better shape in location 2, it's nice and big and round whereas the current location is a narrow ridge so my main rooms (excluding turrets) are maybe seven blocks wide.

Con: I'd have to tear it down and move it. I cheated and switched to Creative to build what I have now, but from here on out I'd rather not cheat. And even if I did use Creative, I'd still have to restore the current location to a natural state because it's visible from the proposed new location. Most importantly, I'd have to give up the view of my floating sheep island from my newly installed (I accidentally knocked a hole in the wall and noticed it was a perfect view of the sheep) workshop window.

Here's the current castle in plan view, from an earlier iteration while still in creative mode:

On the landward end it's got three levels: the storage/crafting/furnace room (with sheep window and station for the powered minecart track from sea level), main entrance room, and the third floor is enchanting room and bed. The enchanting room is only accessible from the floor below because I wanted the maximum number of bookshelves but didn't want to block the windows. The end over the water is a single tall room, built over two natural spires cantilevered out from the mountain. Current version has a sprial staircase between the multistorey section and throne room, and the chests have been moved to the basement below the bed. If I stay I'm going to add a trapdoor in the floor of the tall room to jump down into the cove beneath for a quick exit.

From the ground:

It's fairly small by Minecraft standards but I have neither the patience nor the need for a vast sprawling thing.

Sheep island now has all the suggested modifications:

Water, tree, and barbecue pit. That's the second tree and fifth sheep. First tree had an accident with the fire, new tree is a few blocks nearer the camera so it doesn't catch fire. First sheep to die was the friend I gave the original sheep (pushed off by other sheep), then the original sheep was washed away in a pond-expansion accident, and his replacement burned to death while I was building the fire. Another one fell to his doom when I tried to modify that corner that the sheep like to hang out on. Shop sheep window is just below that single white block sticking down in the background.

Edit: I also get terrible laptop performance (2.3Ghz 64-bit processor, 3GB RAM). I guess I'll reinstall Java after every session until it gets better. Or get a new power supply for the dead desktop box (only 2GB RAM and 32-bit, but 5Ghz dual-core processor, which seems to be the bottleneck on the laptop), but I'm really liking my dual-monitor setup (lappy with the desktop's CRT as secondary).

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 28, 2012

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Hey LeschNyhan, guess what I found now?

This isn't part of the other two I already found and explored, and it seems pretty drat far away from the one you found, so I'm willing to bet this it mineshaft #4.

Seriously, if anyone else out there wants a seed that has more mineshafts than you'll ever know what to do with, try this one. Maybe wait until 1.3 though, assuming the worldgen doesn't altered significantly, just so you can get emeralds from them too.

Edit: Don't let the y-axis fool you. This is just the best "dead end" location I could find to maybe start from, when I go to explore it at some point in the future. It actually goes down to diamond level, which is where I first found it. Long story short, I came across it when connecting the mineshaft you found to the railway for the mineshaft I found with a tunnel, so it's just a lot of digging and caving under the ocean.

Niiiice. Yeah, I'm really hoping the worldgen stays static.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Delivery McGee posted:

I have a dilemma. I have my gleaming silver sky castle mostly built (walls, floors and spiral staircase up, haven't decided how to do the roof) on a pretty awesome mountain overhang, but the peak next door, I just realized, has a much nicer overhang.

There will always be a nicer overhang.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Delivery McGee posted:

Solution: Build two castles.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Delivery McGee posted:

Solution: Destroy the nicer overhang, so it will no longer remind you of your impatience in finding it.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Build a nicer castle on the nicer one and say the old one is a guest house or add doors and make it a village. Like a bunch of small houses, a castle on the nice overhand, and the smaller fort is for the mayor or something.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I really wish they'd lock down worldgen or, if they do change it, make it so we can get more awesome poo poo like the old gargamel seed. New worlds are pretty monotonous.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I really wish they'd lock down worldgen or, if they do change it, make it so we can get more awesome poo poo like the old gargamel seed. New worlds are pretty monotonous.

I kind of stopped playing when I heard about the latest additions... I've built many a shining arcology only to have it be gypped by an improved worldgen. I just want to build, but am not particularly fast about it. Oh well...

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Bluemillion posted:

Solution: Build two castles.

Then connect them via sky-bridge to have one super awesome castle.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Tripwires?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuvXIzYcTc

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Tripwires are cool and all but what's that tall sandstone looking thing on the left at start of the video?

Doctor Doodler fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 28, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Doctor Doodler posted:

Tripwires are cool and all but what's that tall sandstone looking thing on the left at start of the video?

Looks like a basic tower be built probably for testing purposes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I have an ancient laptop and the only way to get it to even open Minecraft was to modify the shortcut target to tell it to limit memory to Java. Might help. Command is "java -Xmx800m -jar "C:/Minecraft.jar""

The 800m there can be changed for decent computers. 1024m, 2048m, etc.

yakkers
Jun 20, 2001
Hey I'm trying to get ModLoader and Mystcraft working in Minecraft (Client) but it's not working and I'm really confused.

I follow all the instructions, deleting META INF and putting the required files into minecraft.jar. Then I run the game and it looks normal, no indication that anything was changed, and none of the mod features work.

Does anyone know something I don't? Because the instructions are really straightforward and I don't know how I could be messing this up. Should there be any messages on the splash screen saying Modloader is working? I don't know if I got that far and maybe the problem is with Mystcraft.

If anyone can help I appreciate it! I'd really like to try some of the cool-looking mods available now.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Make sure you're not using any of the latest snapshots. Mods tent to not work for them.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I have a super :shobon: story for you guys.

A friend of mine is a single mother with a 12yo autistic son. When I say autistic I don't mean "he's a bit nerdy" , I mean special-school , has rarely spoken *ever*, doesn't understand emotions at all, etc.

Well she was talking to me about how he liked the computer a bit, and how he liked lego so I said get the boy minecraft PRONTO.

Well anyway the kid loved it , and turns out so did she, so I set them up a server, and this kids totally come out of his shell and babbling wildly about all the castles he wants to make and how he's going to learn how to fight the ender dragon and so on. He's even found another server filled with other 12yos and although he's too shy to go on teamspeak (and she thinks he might be too obviously strange , so she's looking for an autistic kids one) he's interacting plenty and basically in minecraft everyones loving autistic (after all can YOU tell what emotion "steve" is feeling?).

Honestly I think its loving wonderful. Kids even gotten over the panic attacks when the creepers attack. They're having mom and son adventures together, and most importantly to her, he's talking to her lots. She doesn't mind if all he talks about is minecraft, the important thing is, he's coming out his shell.

e: Oh, and apparently he's become a simon and lewis fan, even though he doesn't always get the jokes.

e2: Ah thats right, and apparently the autistic school he's at has taken an interest in it too and might look at setting up a minecraft server for the students. The fairly gentle learning curve of creative mode means kids can adventure without getting too traumatized by creeper clusterfucks.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 29, 2012

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That story is adorable as hell. Really brought a smile to my face. You're a good guy, duck monster. You ought to feel drat proud for making a difference in that kid's life even with so simple a gesture.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I'd have them send The Minecraft Teacher an email or something, he's been in tons of interviews about how he's helped people implement MC in schools and with special students that connect with the game very powerfully.

His website: http://minecraftteacher.net/

And a site he's setup with.

http://minecraftedu.com/

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Looks like they may add tripwire to the next update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWuvXIzYcTc

The interesting thing about tripwires is the signal will always be sent unless the wire is cut by shears. This will be very useful in PVP traps and for resettable circuitry.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

I'd have them send The Minecraft Teacher an email or something, he's been in tons of interviews about how he's helped people implement MC in schools and with special students that connect with the game very powerfully.

His website: http://minecraftteacher.net/

And a site he's setup with.

http://minecraftedu.com/

Passed it on!

king salmon
Oct 30, 2011

by Cowcaster

"MinecraftEdu" posted:

Minecraft is designed from the ground up to be open-ended and modifiable, allowing it to be tailored for YOUR curriculum.

:laugh: Whatever it takes to sell your product I guess, and it sounds like they're doing a good thing so I can't fault them too much.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I just downloaded this snapshot thing and stuck the .jar into my minecraft folder. I thought there was a giant biome worldgen option in it? That's actually the whole reason I downloaded it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

YOURFRIEND posted:

I just downloaded this snapshot thing and stuck the .jar into my minecraft folder. I thought there was a giant biome worldgen option in it? That's actually the whole reason I downloaded it.

Click on the Worldtype button in More Options