Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attention Deficit
Nov 25, 2006
fine til you came along..

Clocks posted:

The second person who returned my pawn today gave it 3s in everything.
On that note, if I want to Release a Pawn from service whilst in the mists, how do I do that *without* leaving a rating? A couple of times I've signed a Pawn on then decided to switch it out (before using it) for a different one. I couldn't seem to Release it without going through the rating malarky (which defaults to 3 stars).

Either way, absolutely loving the game. Impressed with the 5.1 too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

Giggily posted:

How are you guys fighting the Ur-Dragon? I messed around with him a little bit earlier and my party wiped in about five minutes without doing much of any damage at all.

Fighting it at night with Bloodlust (assassin augment) enabled, which adds a stupid amount to your str/mag, and make sure someone has some kind of holy enchant. If you're not breaking at least 1000 strength or magick then you probably need to head back into Everfall and grab some gear.

As a Magick Archer, I cast Magick Rebalancer to buff myself with +20% magick/magick defense, make sure my mage pawn has enchanted me with holy, set myself on fire with Immolation, then latch on and start swinging with Hundred Kisses. If for some reason I need to back off, then I use Hunter Bolt to chip away at him. On a good run I can do about 3.5-4.5 bars of health before he runs off.

This is actually my boss strategy for 90% of the bosses in the game.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Samurai Sanders posted:

If I start new game plus what happens to my current post-game play? It gets replaced?

You need to finish the post-game content to start it, iirc.

I'm not really even sure if it's considered post-content. It feels more like a final act and defeating the dragon was a fake-out ending.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

fullTimeLurker posted:

Seriously gently caress the autosave in this game, makes me not want to play this game anymore. So does anyone want 156 "make your pawn pick up items during battle" potions?

What's wrong with the autosave? There's autosave, manual saves, and a checkpoint system at inns/rifts so you can revert to a time before starting whatever quest you hosed up. Anything more and you'd just have rampant save-scumming devaluing the whole point of the pawn system/economy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Clocks posted:

The second person who returned my pawn today gave it 3s in everything. I've heard that this also happens automatically if a pawn dies while you're out and you don't revive it, is this the case?

I got 1s in all areas. Guess Lina decided to be stupid on someone (or someone's trolling the ratings)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Azraden posted:

I'm not really even sure if it's considered post-content. It feels more like a final act and defeating the dragon was a fake-out ending.
Yeah, like I said, from playing Tales so much that's pretty much what I was expecting.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
What's the best way to farm shitloads of money? Stuff is getting hella expensive and I need my shinies!

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Attention Deficit posted:

On that note, if I want to Release a Pawn from service whilst in the mists, how do I do that *without* leaving a rating? A couple of times I've signed a Pawn on then decided to switch it out (before using it) for a different one. I couldn't seem to Release it without going through the rating malarky (which defaults to 3 stars).

Either way, absolutely loving the game. Impressed with the 5.1 too.

I don't think there is a way. The person who gave me blank 3s definitely used it for a bit though, got like 9k RC from it (which isn't as much as people here get, but it's the highest for one person I've seen so far). I assume there's level-scaling involved. Then again I don't think my pawn returned with much knowledge. I'm just hoping it died along the way instead of being so mediocre they couldn't be bothered to rate it.

quote:

I got 1s in all areas. Guess Lina decided to be stupid on someone (or someone's trolling the ratings)
I got 1s once with a "oft wasted time" comment, but I'm pretty sure back then my pawn just had wonky inclinations and was maybe being stupid. Which is interesting because everyone else gave me higher ratings. v:shobon:v

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, like I said, from playing Tales so much that's pretty much what I was expecting.

I've never played a Tales game but now I kind of want to.

So has anyone unlocked The Hero achievement/trophy? From what I've been searching around, that one seems to be alluding everyone, since quests are handled in kind of an insane way in this game. Also, does anyone give you a quest for Soulflayer? I found it and wanted to check it out, but I figured I might wait for a quest to pop up for it if there is one.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ur-Dragon is basically the best way to make ridiculous amounts of cash. Once you get 2 Abyssal armor sets, it's basically gravy. You'll probably get weapon repeats too, so you can sell those off if you don't need them for upwards to 300-500k a piece.

Azraden posted:

So has anyone unlocked The Hero achievement/trophy? From what I've been searching around, that one seems to be alluding everyone, since quests are handled in kind of an insane way in this game. Also, does anyone give you a quest for Soulflayer? I found it and wanted to check it out, but I figured I might wait for a quest to pop up for it if there is one.

The Hero is so screwed up, I wouldn't even bother trying to get it until someone has systematically laid out every single "pre-planned, non-notice board quest" in the game

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

Azraden posted:

Not a proper one that I saw, just an unofficial personal quest to kill a giant monster. A bastard one who eluded you in the past.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Just had my big rift crystal take in. 93,825. I honestly thought people didn't like my pawn, but I guess she's actually alright!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just hired the most useless mage pawn. He just stuck right next to me and used heal a ton. He wouldn't even use the various weapon buffs he had as skills - it was insane. He'd give that 'These creatures can only be hurt by magic' speech about some wraiths, then do nothing at all about it.

Then he got himself killed, so I didn't even get to rate him useless so other people will know.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm not even near post-game and this is easily my favorite game of this year so far. I feel like I am overleveled but apparently it didn't matter when I met my first dragon in the wild and got stomped.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

MadJackMcJack posted:

What's the best way to farm shitloads of money? Stuff is getting hella expensive and I need my shinies!

Money is really weird on this game in that all of a sudden i'll have 500000g and then none and then i'll do one quest and get a million or something stupid. Just keep playing and if you can't afford something do a sidequest or two.

I found one on the notice board at the start in Cassardis (may only be NG+) to kill 25 saurians and it gave me 500K, then another to kill 10 chimeras which gave me 750K.

Also, for anyone playing a strider/assassin/warrior/anything other than mage really, when you get mid-ish game and start finding stuff going down a bit easier, and find that you're more used to it, definitely give it a go solo. My playstyle is to use all the climbing augments, the solo augment, the warrior one that makes you take greatly reduced physical damage and one of the assassin at night skills (more damage). You're a killing machine if you travel in the day and once night hits you're even better. Take daggers and a sword with you as well as your bow if you're on assassin and just gouge bosses to death, it's beautiful.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
How do you ditch your main pawn if you want to go solo?

I really love how many ways there is to play the game. The classes are so distinct and it is beautiful.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How can you rid yourself of your main pawn to solo?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Kill them, don't visit a riftstone.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Azraden posted:

Also, does anyone give you a quest for Soulflayer? I found it and wanted to check it out, but I figured I might wait for a quest to pop up for it if there is one.

It's an optional one, one of the guys in the castle will give you a really dubious task of finding a letter stolen by a monster in the canyon; I got the quest a bit before the Greatwall story quest.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Azraden posted:

Tales is also an action RPG with a lot of the same kind of four character party cooperative fighting that this game does, only without free movement, usually only towards/away from your enemy, and circling them as a special function in some of the games. Also like this game, partway through the game the world drastically changes as some SHOCKING REVELATION happens (which is usually shockingly easy to see coming). Unlike this game though Tales games basically define "anime as gently caress" as far as JRPGs go. Final Fantasy games, for example, have nothing on Tales in that regard. So it turns off a lot of people. In fact I've pretty much had my fill of it too, it would take the best Tales game ever to bring me back into the franchise now.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Calaveron posted:

How can you rid yourself of your main pawn to solo?

Throw your main pawn in the sea.

You won't get any "Your pawn returned from X world" messages when you rest at an inn but when you go to a riftstone way later and get him back, then rest, you'll get everything anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I figured out a super easy way to cheese the fight with the drake in the forest by the shadow fort. Turns out that if you stand behind one of the "big" trees (ie: one that's big enough to completely cover you) you can safely cast any spell you want without the drake being able to hit you, even if he's 5 feet away from you and clipping through the tree, as long as he's actually on the other side of said tree. Three casts of maelstrom and he was down and out.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Ran got her first five-star rating today, after I tweaked her AI and switched her back to fighter. I felt an odd swell of pride - my l'il pawn's all growns up.

On a different note, am I missing something in regards to killing golems? I know you have to hit the weak spot, but even then, it seems to take forever before they lose that final half of their health bar. Usually a whole day passes before I'm able to drop one.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Needs More Jazz posted:

Ran got her first five-star rating today, after I tweaked her AI and switched her back to fighter. I felt an odd swell of pride - my l'il pawn's all growns up.

On a different note, am I missing something in regards to killing golems? I know you have to hit the weak spot, but even then, it seems to take forever before they lose that final half of their health bar. Usually a whole day passes before I'm able to drop one.

Gotta actually shatter the stones, not just dull them. There's one on the hand, foot, back, head, leg, chest and arm, I think?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Regarding Pride Before a Fall:

So what happens depending on if I choose to help Mercedes or not? What occurs differently because I want max affinity for her :3:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

It's an optional one, one of the guys in the castle will give you a really dubious task of finding a letter stolen by a monster in the canyon; I got the quest a bit before the Greatwall story quest.

The funny thing about this quest is you can totally bypass the whole cayon and get the letter if you have levitate. float a little over half way while hugged that waterfall near the gargoyle and you should be able to jump and float again to the letters.

[e] Where are the big monsters post game? The only one I found so far was a drake on the way to the quarry. I really need to grind to get the last sorcerer skills but gently caress fighting a bunch of hellhounds and succubi

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Regarding Pride Before a Fall:

So what happens depending on if I choose to help Mercedes or not? What occurs differently because I want max affinity for her :3:

On my 1st playthrough: I let the duel play out. Mercedes loses the duel, but Julian spares her and gets away.

On my 2nd playthrough: I struck down Julian in the middle of the duel. Julian lost some affinity (you'll know with the sound) and died. The rest of the sequence played out exactly the same as if you let Mercedes lose the duel. I had a bunch of Wakestones on me so I revived Julian. This led to a conversation cutscene with Julian thanking me for reviving him and his promise to confess his involvement with Salvation back at Gran Soren.

You can max NPC affinities by just giving gifts anyway.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gyoru posted:

On my 1st playthrough: I let the duel play out. Mercedes loses the duel, but Julian spares her and gets away.

On my 2nd playthrough: I struck down Julian in the middle of the duel. Julian lost some affinity (you'll know with the sound) and died. The rest of the sequence played out exactly the same as if you let Mercedes lose the duel. I had a bunch of Wakestones on me so I revived Julian. This led to a conversation cutscene with Julian thanking me for reviving him and his promise to confess his involvement with Salvation back at Gran Soren.

You can max NPC affinities by just giving gifts anyway.

How does one give a gift?

I am legitimately curious :confused:

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

All these bonuses combining is pretty crazy. I'm going to have to get the Warriors +Strength ones too, and fully upgrade my weapons.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

How does one give a gift?

I am legitimately curious :confused:

Talk to someone and choose the Present option. It's the (360) X button / (PS3) Square button.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

God drat, I can't seem to stop playing. Send help. :(

Earlier in the thread someone posted a list (or a link to a list) of what the various different pawn attributes mean and possibly had a suggestion or two of what were good ones to make sure that they weren't standing right next to me and doing nothing.

Not that I'm having that trouble with mine, but it would be nice to know what I'm getting when I use that chair or those potions. Recently I swapped classes with her, so now she's the caster and I'm the one using the giant zweihander so having her charge ahead could possibly just lead to a lot of death if I keep her how she is. Even with only three skills on it, it's still a lot of fun to wade into a group of bandits and just start flattening them with it. I do wish you could assign more than three skills with it though, I figured it would be like sorcerer/mage and use all 6 slots. I guess I should probably have my pawn level a bit farther into fighter too, I imagine some of those augments would be handy to have.

I keep seeing people mention their house, is that what happens when you complete Fournivals quest by buying it from him? On a whim I just paid the family's moving expenses, am I hosed on getting a place to live? Does it matter in any way at all actually?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

a kitten posted:

God drat, I can't seem to stop playing. Send help. :(
For me this hasn't been a "why is it 4 am?" game yet (like dark souls was), but it HAS been a "I have other games?" game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mokinokaro posted:

Lina was my only casualty in the Bluemoon tower. Lots of long drops in that place--I turned around and suddenly she was gone. Garfunkel does that a lot too for some reason.

VDay posted:

I have no idea why it never occurred to me considering it's a fantasy/RPG staple, but the healing spell totally does damage to the undead.

The Magic Archer ability Magical Gleam really does a number on undead. I didn't really have an appreciation for how hard Phantasms are for a while because I'd only encountered them as a Magic Archer. When I met them again as a fighter, they were nearly the end of me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I think I'm going to start over for the third time because I am a crazy person I miss being an assassin too much. Calling down death on everything and levitating are really fun, but nothing beats climbing on a monster and stabbing the poo poo out of it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

VDay posted:

So I think I'm going to start over for the third time because I am a crazy person I miss being an assassin too much. Calling down death on everything and levitating are really fun, but nothing beats climbing on a monster and stabbing the poo poo out of it.
Are you starting the game over instead of just changing classes for some reason?

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

VDay posted:

There's basically no harm in switching up classes whenever you want, you only have to tough out like two levels at most before your stats are viable. Plus you're gonna gain helpful augments in most every vocation.....

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Kill every ox around Gran Soren, and take their beast-steaks. Wait a couple days until they go sour. Sell sour beast-steaks for around 1700 gold each. You can also get ambrosial meat from them, for even more money.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lotish posted:

Lina was my only casualty in the Bluemoon tower. Lots of long drops in that place--I turned around and suddenly she was gone. Garfunkel does that a lot too for some reason.

Isn't she a bit low level for that? I haven't gone near the place (taking my time doing the Wyrmhunt quests.)

EDIT: Just a warning, she's going sorceror for a bit. Lots of useful augments there.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 29, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

^^^^^Oh she was definitely low, but she was just such a trooper in the stuff before it. And she didn't get killed by the monsters in there--she just got knocked off a cliff. I've had at least two or three pawns simply fall off a ledge to their deaths so far.

Role Play McMurphy posted:

There's basically no harm in switching up classes whenever you want, you only have to tough out like two levels at most before your stats are viable. Plus you're gonna gain helpful augments in most every vocation.....

Yeah, I love mixing and maxing augments. I got both defense+ augments, the larger of the magic defense augments, both stamina+ augments, both health+ augments, ferocity, sinew, grit, the augment for improving jump attacks, leg-strength, regeneration and I'm working on the second strength+ augment now that I've got all the other bases covered. I'm something of an augment whore.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you starting the game over instead of just changing classes for some reason?

I'm almost to the end already so it's basically a choice between just doing a NG+ or starting over fresh. Going from sorcerer to assassin is basically the worst possible change you can make stat-wise. I was kind of half-joking about starting over because I'm a crazy person. I also missed a bunch of quests that I wanna do(yes I can just do them in NG+, but I'd just breeze through them and it wouldn't really be that fun) and also a friend of mine is getting the game so I kind of want to play from the beginning with him so we can use each other's pawns. Eh, we'll see. Like I said earlier I really enjoy the early game and going from having to dodge certain enemies to wiping the floor with everything is super satisfying.

• Locked thread