Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can anyone give me a run down of which Magic Archer skills are good? I don't use a staff, so ignore those. Also, what's a better Stamina augment? The MA's Potential or the Strider's Endurance? I guess I could use both...

Backfire (and its upgraded version) is necessary. Well, it's not a good skill, but how can you not take it?

Regeneration isn't great though, it's reaaally slow. 1 HP every few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Hatter106 posted:

I'm in the Rift looking at Pawns to summon, and does it make a difference whether a particular spell or ability is equipped as a Primary or Secondary skill? Will they cast it more if it's Primary, or is that determined by their personality?

No. The distinction is only there for the benefit of non-mages. I believe there's a healing/support personality trait, but it might only apply to using items on themself.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can anyone give me a run down of which Magic Archer skills are good? I don't use a staff, so ignore those. Also, what's a better Stamina augment? The MA's Potential or the Strider's Endurance? I guess I could use both...

The skills are really situational but mostly good in their own right. Six-fold bolt is good in any situation, I think explosive bolt is, too, but I didn't use it enough to figure it out. Hunter bolt is good against large creatures and even better against flying large creatures (like a guaranteed way of knocking them out of the sky in addition to the large amount of damage). The upgraded ricochet bolt is really good in tight spaces, obviously, but completely worthless when un-upgraded or in open spaces. On the dagger side, scension is largely worthless, and sunflare seems to be only good against small creatures.

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Explosive bolt does great damage, but the catch is you need to follow it up with a melee attack to actually blow up the arrow once it's lodged in a guy.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Where in the heck is the Snakeskin purse?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dogbutt posted:

If you exit out of the gate near the fields in Gran Soren, there is a big river nearby. Follow the river and kill all the Saurians and destroy all the boxes up and down the entire length of the river, eventually it'll drop.

I got my purse from saurians a few feet from the nameless falls.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Dogbutt posted:

Haha, screw that quest, I had to have someone finally give me a good answer here.

Go to prayer falls and start following the river back to Gran Soren, smashing every piece of debris (boxes, crates, etc) that you come across. Yeah, it's seriously hidden in one of those. Apparently it can be a bit random, but a pretty common spot for it to spawn is in the area with all the cloaked saurians where the water is pretty shallow, right before that one waterfall, about halfway between Prayer falls and the bridge you take when you go from gran soren to the northern castle.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I loved the poo poo out of shadow shackle for fast moving targets or just placing one right on a guy when they're down since it comes out pretty fast. I found Scension pretty useful actually plus it can heal you so it ain't all bad.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

VDay posted:

Haha, screw that quest, I had to have someone finally give me a good answer here.

Go to prayer falls and start following the river back to Gran Soren, smashing every piece of debris (boxes, crates, etc) that you come across. Yeah, it's seriously hidden in one of those. Apparently it can be a bit random, but a pretty common spot for it to spawn is in the area with all the cloaked saurians where the water is pretty shallow, right before that one waterfall, about halfway between Prayer falls and the bridge you take when you go from gran soren to the northern castle.

For more fun, that isn't the only place it can be. I found it in Soulflayer canyon.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So I'm finally about to confront the dragon. However, I have a problem.

Half of my map isn't even filled in.

Am I going to miss anything doing this poo poo because I have a feeling this ends the game?

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...

Diviance posted:

For more fun, that isn't the only place it can be. I found it in Soulflayer canyon.

That must have been one hell of a river party.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Count Bleck posted:

So I'm finally about to confront the dragon. However, I have a problem.

Half of my map isn't even filled in.

Am I going to miss anything doing this poo poo because I have a feeling this ends the game?

Half of your map? :stare: The map isn't as big as it looks when you can't see all the borders. You should do anything you want to finish beforehand (including just plain ol' exploring), but you'll still be able to do so afterwards, in a world that's a little different.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Count Uvula posted:

Half of your map? :stare: The map isn't as big as it looks when you can't see all the borders. You should do anything you want to finish beforehand (including just plain ol' exploring), but you'll still be able to do so afterwards, in a world that's a little different.

Maybe not half, but mainly it goes as south as The Aernst Castle Ruins and as west as The Shadow Fort if you don't count the Tainted Mountain. I have also never been to Soulflayer Canyon.

Yeah, okay, wow. That's quite a lot of white noise.

Still, it's a pretty big loving map. I guess I'll check out Soulflayer Canyon tomorrow as well as the Frontier Caverns.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 29, 2012

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think you might be confusing the actual game world that you can explore and the huge map that you see if you zoom all the way out on it. The map, for lack of a better term, is really deceiving in terms of where you'll be able to go. Here's the actual map of the stuff that you'll be able to explore: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XI7c-wt4bVI/T7SpJkszARI/AAAAAAAAAGY/DWbkI7hJC2c/s1600/DD-WorldMap2a.jpg

If you think of the map as showing you all of the United States, you can only really explore the east coast. The world is still absolutely huge, but it's not quite as ridiculous as the zoomed out map makes it appear if you just scroll out to the areas that are covered in fog.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If you exit out of the gate near the fields in Gran Soren, there is a big river nearby. Follow the river and kill all the Saurians and destroy all the boxes up and down the entire length of the river, eventually it'll drop.

I got my purse from saurians a few feet from the nameless falls.
You can get it from gather spots in the water too. They look like a pool of fish. That's how I got mine after giving up and watching a video on Youtube.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Well, I wound up making an alt, and I have to say, while melee characters feel weaker than their ranged counterparts, they're also significantly more fun. Everything about playing a Warrior is just so satisfying. I wound up taking on one of the ogres in the Ancient Mine at level 16, and it was probably the most tense, enjoyable moment I've had with the game.

edit: Also, my PSN name and info seem to be multiplying in the spreadsheet. I have no idea what's going on, but my info is winding up in the cells above and below mine, overwriting other people's info. Right both Gestalt Intellect and Gnomer's rows have my PSN ID and character information.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 29, 2012

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Protip: If you're a mage/sorcerer and want to elemental buff yourself, clicking the left stick seems to lock the targeting cursor onto you.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Question for people who beat the game: What am I supposed to do with this chair and invisibility? I want to kill the Ur-Dragon and stuff. The best I can do is chill at the Alehouse and remember the chemistry I had with the owner.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

skinny white boy posted:

Question for people who beat the game: What am I supposed to do with this chair and invisibility? I want to kill the Ur-Dragon and stuff. The best I can do is chill at the Alehouse and remember the chemistry I had with the owner.

Return to the void through the town gate then use Godsbane to finish the game and unlock New Game+ for all your Ur-Dragon needs.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Endgame: How does progression in the Everfall work? I keep falling and keep fighting but I'm not really sure I'm getting anywhere. I seriously I do not want to fight another Super Hydra. That piece of poo poo took forever and Mystic Kights can't jump for poo poo. I am this close to switching back to assassin. THIS CLOSE!

I've decided to make a political statement by never hiring female pawns who don't wear pants, or at least long skirts.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

OnimaruXLR posted:

Endgame: How does progression in the Everfall work? I keep falling and keep fighting but I'm not really sure I'm getting anywhere. I seriously I do not want to fight another Super Hydra. That piece of poo poo took forever and Mystic Kights can't jump for poo poo. I am this close to switching back to assassin. THIS CLOSE!

I've decided to make a political statement by never hiring female pawns who don't wear pants, or at least long skirts.

Just keep killing poo poo until you've got 20 wakestones.

e:Alternatively if you get the killing blow on the Ur-Dragon you'll automatically get 20 wakestones.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Policenaut posted:

Return to the void through the town gate then use Godsbane to finish the game and unlock New Game+ for all your Ur-Dragon needs.

Aha! Thank you. Time to slay a big thing.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice
So after finishing it twice, I still have some super-spoilery questions about the ending. I never get a chance to read/here what the final boss is saying about the cycle since I'm too focused on the fight. Is the god-person you're fighting also the dragon? So the arisen becomes god AND the dragon? When you stab yourself so there's no god, does that mean you broke that cycle, so no more dragons? Also did your pawn become infused with you (you wake up on the beach and out of your mouth is the pawn's voice saying "MASTER!") or are you dead and your pawn's soul living in your body?

I remember people making jokes that this was going to have some sort of insane twist at the end. More right than they ever thought they would be.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
How do I see my pawn's ratings? She's finally getting used a lot and I want to see if she's as useful for others as she is for me!

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Where can I find Parcels in Soulflayer Canyon anyway? I found a bunch earlier and now I just need one more...

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

Dogbutt posted:

Where can I find Parcels in Soulflayer Canyon anyway? I found a bunch earlier and now I just need one more...

They were all in one spot for me. Sounds like you missed one back there.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

How do I see my pawn's ratings? She's finally getting used a lot and I want to see if she's as useful for others as she is for me!

Status menu.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Today, I took Madeleine to the Bloodwater Beach. I found the Tomb of the Unknown Traveler, but other than a bunch of rocks and a golem, is there anything there? I also found the Delirious Cave or something like that, along the Beach. It had some chests that weren't particularly great, did I miss something there, too?

Also so far the Soulflay Caverns seem to have the best loot, doesn't it?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I was wondering what was up with the golden weapons, since they are worse than their regular counterparts I wondered why anyone would use them instead of selling them (other than, perhaps, for cosmetic reasons).

I upgraded a set fully, and I'd imagine this holds true for all of them: A fully-upgraded golden weapon (well, three star, not dragonforged) has stats equal to the regular version upgraded once, and a permanent silence enchantment. Potentially useful, though I still probably wouldn't lug one around myself. It is kind of a neat secret, though.

Similarly, rusted weapons get poison and torpor enchantments when upgraded to level three. But they still suck so much stat-wise that it's pretty much pointless, unless you kept one around to swap out to, poison/slow an enemy, then switch back, which seems kinda tedious.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

If it's not displaying anything, does my pawn just need more ratings? All three categories are empty.

Edit: vvv She gives me like 3-4 items every time I rest at an inn, I thought that meant that people were releasing her?

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 29, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

If it's not displaying anything, does my pawn just need more ratings? All three categories are empty.

That means nobody has ever rented your pawn. Or, okay, more accurately it means nobody has ever released your pawn. So they've all either let it die and forfeit or are still lugging it around. Releasing a pawn forces you to rate it, and you can't give 0-star ratings.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how does the XP system work? Is it split among your party? Given to a character based on the hits they land? Basically I'm wondering if there's any benefit to solo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

rizuhbull posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but how does the XP system work? Is it split among your party? Given to a character based on the hits they land? Basically I'm wondering if there's any benefit to solo.

XP is just given to you. Your main pawn always matches your level and hired pawns don't level up at all.

I don't think the number of pawns you have with you makes any difference in the amount of experience you get.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Azraden posted:

So after finishing it twice, I still have some super-spoilery questions about the ending. I never get a chance to read/here what the final boss is saying about the cycle since I'm too focused on the fight. Is the god-person you're fighting also the dragon? So the arisen becomes god AND the dragon? When you stab yourself so there's no god, does that mean you broke that cycle, so no more dragons? Also did your pawn become infused with you (you wake up on the beach and out of your mouth is the pawn's voice saying "MASTER!") or are you dead and your pawn's soul living in your body?

I remember people making jokes that this was going to have some sort of insane twist at the end. More right than they ever thought they would be.

Well,

Presumably all failed arisen at that point become the dragon and are used by the god-person to lead on more potential Arisen. As for defeating the cycle, it's ambiguous. Particularly I think the cycle is still unbroken because the Godperson pulled Godsbane out of their chest right about where you stabbed yourself. I'm thinking you destroyed your physical form but your soul is still leading things up there. Plus, if it was that easy to kill yourself as God-dude I imagine Savan would've done so a long time ago.

As for the Pawn thing, if you do Selene (the witch)'s quests you find out that all pawns eventually become more and more like their master, taking on parts of their soul. Selene herself is a pawn given life after her master died. If you had high affinity with Selene during the ending she says specifically that the pawn is like her now.

And yes, this ending is quite crazy. I like how it seems to choose a random Arisen and Pawn on NG+ though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

rizuhbull posted:

Running with more pawns or higher level pawns does give you less experience than going it alone, but not 1/4th as much (and the game is designed to be done with 3 equal-level pans, so you'll level plenty fast doing it that way). The extra XP is more a bonus for handicapping yourself than anything else.

Hitting/not hitting enemies doesn't matter.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh how I love this game. Finally an RPG in which you actually have to buy your stuff from merchants! I only got 2-3 pieces of equipment as loot in about 10 hours of gameplay. Also, grand adventure awaits as soon as you're out of the cities ... in skyrim, I felt badass because nobody could actually kill me. Here, I feel even more badass because I can actually kill some bandits!

Little question about Mason's quest : I have killed the captured Salvation guy and Mason was so happy about it that it gave me the creeps, does this gently caress me over later? I have a feeling ...

Also, nobody is renting my pawn :( her name is Hikaru, lvl 24, she is a pretty girlie mage (yes yes I know...), she prioritizes loving bigger enemies up WITH FIRE and then buffing the party WITH FIRE and heals. Pretty well equipped too, I upgraded everything I could for her.

Please someone hire her, I badly need rift crystals because I want to metamorphosis my Fighter to be taller and burlier before I switch to Warrior! :black101:

vvv I'm on PSN and it's Torakfade, should've mentioned it, sorry

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 29, 2012

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

TorakFade posted:

Oh how I love this game. Finally an RPG in which you actually have to buy your stuff from MERCHANTS! I only got 2-3 pieces of equipment as loot.

Little question about Mason's quest : I have killed the captured Salvation guy and Mason was so happy about it that it gave me the creeps, does this gently caress me over later? I have a feeling ...

Also, sobody is renting my pawn :( her name is Hikaru, lvl 24, she is a pretty girlie mage (yes yes I know...), she prioritizes loving bigger enemies up WITH FIRE and then buffing the party WITH FIRE and heals. Pretty well equipped too, I upgraded everything I could for her.

Please someone hire her, 'cause I badly need rift crystals because I want to metamorphosis my Fighter to be taller and burlier before I switch to Warrior! :black101:

What's your GT, I'm around that level and need a good mage with a fire buff.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

rizuhbull posted:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

XP is just given to you. Your main pawn always matches your level and hired pawns don't level up at all.

I don't think the number of pawns you have with you makes any difference in the amount of experience you get.

Another goon figured it out during the demo, so I can't take credit for this. But, solo-ing will yield the most XP per creature. Each pawn you have with you diminishes the amount of XP you gain, by a set percentage. That percentage, however, isn't linear. I think it was inversely exponential but I forgot how it went exactly. Your pawn gets the same XP you do, as mine always seems to level up basically right after my main. She has spent only a little time dead, so it makes sense. The other pawns get jack poo poo because they don't level while playing with you.

Dan Didio posted:

What's your GT, I'm around that level and need a good mage with a fire buff.

My GT is ROBOBALBOA, if you need a good healer, my pawn is a mage around 40-something. Her two personality traits are Medicant and then Scather, so her first priority is to heal and her second is to go after the strongest enemy. I'm not sure what her behaviour for Fire Affinity will be, because I just adjusted her personality to such. Just be warned, she is sexy.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 29, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

VulgarandStupid posted:

The other pawns get jack poo poo because they don't level while playing with you.

When your pawn comes back from helping another, however, you're told you'll receive (among other things) the exp it gained while away.

I've never noticed a big bump in how fast he levels up, though. He always noticeably drags behind my level by a handful of monsters, but that's not a significant difference and, like you said, can be explained by the time he spends dead (assuming that a dead pawn gains no experience, anyway, as he's never been forfeit).

Maybe the message is a lie, or was added before a change to the exp system and never changed.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The experience that message refers to is actual world experience, ie: monster, location, and quest knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Funkmaster General posted:

When your pawn comes back from helping another, however, you're told you'll receive (among other things) the exp it gained while away.

I've never noticed a big bump in how fast he levels up, though. He always noticeably drags behind my level by a handful of monsters, but that's not a significant difference and, like you said, can be explained by the time he spends dead (assuming that a dead pawn gains no experience, anyway, as he's never been forfeit).

Maybe the message is a lie, or was added before a change to the exp system and never changed.

I think it has more to do with the strategies for fighting monsters and completing quests.

• Locked thread