Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Danzou posted:

These are fun characters. I love Malack blowing off Nale.

Is there any chance of Varsuuvius saving herself from the pit, or has this clinched her out of the battle?

Depends how hard he's knocked out, I guess. Also, does Durokan have anything that might help find him once they get a moment of peace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Danzou posted:

Is there any chance of Varsuuvius saving herself from the pit, or has this clinched her out of the battle?

The demons he made a pact with will probably come into play soon. Whether or not she cooperates is another matter.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Danzou posted:

Sort of, once he/she has "rested" long enough to regain positive hit points it wouldn't be difficult at all for a high level wizard to get out of there. It will probably take too long to be relevant in this battle though. Maybe if the party gets captured and V can put together a cunning rescue.

Poil fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 19, 2012

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I love how Nale has basically become second banana to his -way- more awesome subordinates. Maybe the Linear Guild will become useful now that there's a Malick around to go "No, this is stupid exposition!"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Danzou posted:

What I don't get is - what's Varsuvius' actual status? In rules terms? Either he's under zero hits, (in which case he's dying - unlikely), or subject to an incapacitating effect (spell/poison, no indication that this is the case), or at exactly zero hits (which gives you consciousness and a single action via a bizarre little rule).

Falling down pits in 3.5 doesn't knock you unconscious.

It's the first plot development I've really not liked in the strip, since it's so transparently to keep V out of the fight. So this is rules-nerd gravy on my disgruntlement steak.

Edit: Unless - subdual damage putting him under zero? Would that do it? But falling damage is lethal! INSUPPORTABLE, MR BURLEW

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He didn't fall down the hole, he was knocked down it by a big slab.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sebmojo posted:

Falling down pits in 3.5 doesn't knock you unconscious.
He could have gone into negatives, but made her stabilization roll. Unlikely, but definitely not impossible, especially with some minor DM Fiat.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 21, 2012

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Colon V posted:

He could have gone into negatives, but made her stabilization roll.

Which was a 10 percent chance each round to not take another point of damage. Once you hit -10, you're dead.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

crime fighting hog posted:

Which was a 10 percent chance each round to not take another point of damage. Once you hit -10, you're dead.

I'm thinking each time we get a shot of Varsuvie down there, it's another -1 hp.....

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Colon V posted:

He could have gone into negatives, but made her stabilization roll. Unlikely, but definitely not impossible, especially with some minor DM Fiat.

Is stabilisation a 3.5 rule? It's in 4e, but it's been a while... let's see: Oh, right. Didn't know that, thanks.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

sebmojo posted:

Is stabilisation a 3.5 rule? It's in 4e, but it's been a while... let's see: Oh, right. Didn't know that, thanks.

Yeah the 4e stabilize rules are much less forgiving. Once you are under 0, you have 3 death saves. Each turn you roll a d20, if it is 1-9 you check off a death save, if it is 10-19 you stay where you are (and roll again next turn) and if it is 20 (and you still have healing surges left) you are stable and can spend a surge. V would be either back on her feet, or quite dead by now in 4e.

3e you have a pretty decent chance of getting back up, if the attack itself took you to -1 through -3 or so.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's not really much less forgiving. If you're negative in 4e you have only a 9% chance of failing three saves in a row, before any saving throw bonuses you might have.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

greatn posted:

That's not really much less forgiving. If you're negative in 4e you have only a 9% chance of failing three saves in a row, before any saving throw bonuses you might have.
Three total without being healed somehow, and saving throw bonuses are pretty difficult to get other than in temporary fashion from leader powers.

EDIT: And if they can give you one of those they can get you back on your feet.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Nilbop posted:

Belkar can do one monster of a jump when he wants to.

It looks to me like Roy threw him over the pit.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Zereth posted:

Three total without being healed somehow, and saving throw bonuses are pretty difficult to get other than in temporary fashion from leader powers.

EDIT: And if they can give you one of those they can get you back on your feet.

There's a feat that gives +2 to all saves. Between feats and items, there are actually a lot of ways to get permanent boosts to all save or to death saves, though usually the only characters that go all out with it are Revenants that want to abuse staying concious at negative hit points. Those usually end up with a +9 to death saves so they never fail.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

bartolimu posted:

It looks to me like Roy threw him over the pit.

Aid another is a pretty sweet deal!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nah, I think that Roy's just handing Durkon over the pit.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Nah, I think that Roy's just handing Durkon over the pit.

As much as I hate to think Rich passed up an opportunity for a dwarf-tossing joke, on second look it appears you're right.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Belkar has a Ring of Jumping, he doesn't need any help.

Amateur Sketch
Feb 23, 2008

a kaleidoscopic supernova
of all your hopes and dreams
New Strip!

:siren:Not Much Chance of That:siren:

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I really, really like Malack now. Better than Tarquin.

Because honestly, who else could call bullshit on Tarquin? And on the other side of the spectrum, thus far, no one needs to call bullshit on Malack.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Once again, Team Tarquin are proved awesome.

That was the most satisfying anticlimax and backdown of an argument I've seen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MikeJF posted:

Once again, Team Tarquin are proved awesome.

That was the most satisfying anticlimax and backdown of an argument I've seen.
Can Tarquin and Malack be the main villains now? :swoon:

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

There's Tarquin and Malack slash fiction right?

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

HKR posted:

There's Tarquin and Malack slash fiction right?

No, and we don't need to look.

There's nothing more satisfying, or terrifying, than a friendship between villains.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Tarquin and Malack: Best Evil Villain Friends Forever :3:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Grown ups are talking, Nale. :drat:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
"As per our usual protocols." Can't wait to find out what that means...

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

DoctorTristan posted:

"As per our usual protocols." Can't wait to find out what that means...

It just means that Tarquin and Malak (and the other four) have been working together for a very long time, and have worked out some internal rules. Seems rule one is that the big picture always comes first.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The reason high-level villain teams are good at working things out is that the ones who aren't kill each other.

It's going to be so great when Tarquin gives the okay for Malak to snuff out Nale.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Tinyn posted:

It just means that Tarquin and Malak (and the other four) have been working together for a very long time, and have worked out some internal rules. Seems rule one is that the big picture always comes first.

So an 'eye on the prize', Machieavellian sorta deal. Seems to be working well for them so far.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Their modus operandi is propping up figurehead kings until their inevitable demise. They're just treating Nale as yet another puppet king.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Tarqin did in fact try to have someone killed for making himself look bad in front of his son. He was pretty civil to the guy beforehand too!

Not sure if its going to work out the same way, but I wouldn't go and say "Team Villain Friendship" yet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Tarqin did in fact try to have someone killed for making himself look bad in front of his son. He was pretty civil to the guy beforehand too!

Not sure if its going to work out the same way, but I wouldn't go and say "Team Villain Friendship" yet.

This is a multiple decade villain alliance. That's rare stuff, so I'm willing to lay odds that it would take rather a lot to get any member of said alliance to betray one another.

Team Villain Friendship seems apt.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
I fully expect these two to be close allies for life. It's something Rich has discussed before. Part of Nale's characterization is that he and Tarqin don't get alone, and now we know that Tarqin is far more impressed with Elan.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wiegieman posted:

It's going to be so great when Tarquin gives the okay for Malak to snuff out Nale.

I am waiting with bated breath for this one. It's going to be so sweet.

(I bet Rich cockblocks me. :mad:)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Everyone's looking forward to it so much and it's been hinted as so hard that I can't help but feel that something totally different is going to go down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Everyone's looking forward to it so much and it's been hinted as so hard that I can't help but feel that something totally different is going to go down.

This. As much as people like Tarquin? He's a villain. He's an arrogant self-confident villain who is utterly convinced he knows how things are going to happen. There is no way he's going to get what he wants. If anything, the only way to really defeat him is to give him an ignoble death, because nothing tarnishes a legend like a bad ending.

He's probably going to underestimate one of the other villains and die realizing that he was a stepping stone for someone bigger than he is, not the big bad of his own legend. It could be someone else but Nale seems to all but beg for it, especially since Nale's been a series-long antagonist while Tarquin's been around for an arc or so.

(And if you want to make a meta-joke about it, he joined Nale's order and that never goes well.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ImpAtom posted:

This. As much as people like Tarquin? He's a villain. He's an arrogant self-confident villain who is utterly convinced he knows how things are going to happen. There is no way he's going to get what he wants. If anything, the only way to really defeat him is to give him an ignoble death, because nothing tarnishes a legend like a bad ending.

He's probably going to underestimate one of the other villains and die realizing that he was a stepping stone for someone bigger than he is, not the big bad of his own legend.

I'm just hoping that Nale gets his comeuppance. Which almost guarantees he won't. (Not in a way that I find satisfying, at least.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

He's probably going to underestimate one of the other villains and die realizing that he was a stepping stone for someone bigger than he is, not the big bad of his own legend. It could be someone else but Nale seems to all but beg for it, especially since Nale's been a series-long antagonist while Tarquin's been around for an arc or so.

(And if you want to make a meta-joke about it, he joined Nale's order and that never goes well.)

It would be entirely Xykon's style to show up and snuff him out without even realising it.

e: I mean, lets step back and look at what Tarquin is doing right now. He has literally only just heard about these gates and the awesome power that they contain and has decided on the spur of the moment to make a play for that power (nb: the exact opposite of the strategy he's been using to keep himself in charge/not dead). In doing so, he's put himself in direct competition with Xykon and Redcloak without even knowing it. And they're going to be teleporting in any minute.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:04 on May 29, 2012