Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Rules Updated June 4th

(not officially affiliated with goonbats or goonsgarden)

Goon Battle Opera is a series of 2-on-2 team tournaments run on GGPO based loosely on the style of the Tougeki - Super Battle Opera annual tournaments in Japan. Ideally the tournaments will run through June and July for nine weeks, come rain or shine or lack of sign ups.
  • 2-on-2 Waseda Style (see below)
  • 2/3 matches
  • Single Elimination
  • Character Locked
  • No Duplicate Characters in a team
  • Random Seeding
  • Be in #goonsgarden
:ohdear: What is Waseda Style?
Given problems in GBO#1, we'll be using a slightly changed rule. The first two people signed up in each team fight, and the second two people signed up in each team fight. If both players on one team won, they advance and the others are eliminated. If only one player per team won, then the two winning players of each team fight to see who moves on.

Example
Team Dicks: Player A (Cock) & Player B (Dong)
vs
Team Butts: Player 1 (rear end) & Player 2 (Booty)

Player A fights Player 1
Player B fights Player 2
IN CASE OF A TIE
The winning player from Team Dicks will fight the winning player from Team Butts to see who advances.

:reject: Why Single Elimination? Why not 2 out of 3 games?
Because that's the way SBO does it, for better or for worse. Its part of the ~*style*~ of it all, and if you want to play more after getting eliminated, not like people are going to close GGPO and run off in disgust (well some will). :siren:UPDATE:siren: In the interest of getting to play more, all matches will go to Best of Three format. The format will remain single elimination though, so once you lose 2 matches, better hope your team mate will save you!

:gonk: What about the other dumb rules?
Character Lock means once you start the tournament, you can't change your character. Ever. You have to declare who you are using when you sign up, but you can change it up until the start of the tournament. No Duplicates means your partner can't use the same character as you. Its pretty simple.

:raise: Why do we have to be in #goonsgarden?
Because if you aren't in #goonsgarden on synIRC it'll be really loving hard for me to officiate the tournament. Also if you're in #goonsgarden you'll be able to find players to practice with, talk about fg stuff, and maybe you'll find your ~dream partner~. There are plenty of irc clients out there, but if you're a lazy piece of poo poo you can use mibbit, a web client.

:downs: What do I need to join in?
GGPO! Get it here! GGPO's installer includes the lobby service, the emulator, and all the savestates that you need. As far as the actual rom :filez: goes, you're on your own. Trying to enter a game's room in GGPO will tell you what .zip file you need, and just place that into the GGPO/roms folder. Some games need extra .zips though, like breakers revenge needs the original breakers, ST needs super SF2's, and all neogeo games need neogeo.zip.

:dance: What we'll we get if we win?
Bragging rights and some one's eternal ire for making them hold that L. If you really want to, you can bother interro to give you seed points for goonbats season 2 in qualifying games.

:shobon: Okay, how/where do I sign up?
Hit the challonge link for the tournament of the week, and drop your team name, IRC names, and characters you'll be playing. Sort of like this: Team Name: Player 1 (Char) & Player 2 (Char). You also have to have a Challonge account, for the sake of making this easier on me. Remember, the person who signed up for the team is the one that has to report the wins for the team. NOTE: You don't have to team up with the same person week after week.

:confused: What do I do if my partner is a no-show?
You can play on your own and pretend your teammate loses every match (which he might anyway). You can continue as far as you can on your own, but, uh, don't sign up as a single entrant because that's sort of beside the point. You'll have ten minutes at the start of the tournament before you'll be disqualified if neither of you show.

Tournament Schedule
Current plan is to go Mondays, 10PM EST/7PM PST, same time as goonbats were. Unless there is significant outcry for a different day/time, then we might move to Weds/Thurs/whatever night goonbats isn't going to be on.

As for the Games...

Week 1 Super Street Fighter II Turbo

Week 2 Breaker's Revenge

Week 3 Vampire Savior

Week 4 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Week 5 King of Fighters '98

Week 6 Street Fighter Alpha 2

Week 7 Samurai Showdown 5 Special

Week 8 King of Fighters '02

Week 9 Grab Bag

So for our first week, obviously:

:siren:Special rules for Super Turbo:siren:
  • Akuma is banned
  • Old Characters count seperately from New Characters
http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/ojzcqvkdfx

If you're looking to learn some stuff about ST (or at all) the SRK Wiki is very filled out and contains a bevy of links to other resources as well. If you need a personal touch, people are always clamoring to play ST in the IRC and willing to tell you how you are bad.

The first tournament is next week, June 4th. Hope to see at least a few of you there! e: haha top of the page neat :cheers:

Results of Goon Battle Opera #1

http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/md643phywe

Not Dave fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Ghostpilot posted:

Pretty much this. Abel is essentially an offensive Goro with a rekka and less throws / defensive options

Abel's defined by his beefy damage off of roll mixups and stepkicks, I have a hard time calling a tool a rekka when it's unusable outside of combos. Of course we agree about his defensive options though :I

Ashenai posted:

SF4 has Abel, who's a pretty good example of a grappler done right I think, and I seem to recall him actually being top tier for a while (before AE, in SSF4)

Vanilla Abel (especially SF4 arcade) was my personal favorite version and things trended downhill from there as the table tilted further and further towards characters even dumber than he is. I mean Abel has some bullshit but if you go revision by revision and compare his bullshit to Seth/Akuma/Viper even Super Breathless is barely worth mentioning.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Ashenai posted:

SF4 has Abel, who's a pretty good example of a grappler done right I think, and I seem to recall him actually being top tier for a while (before AE, in SSF4)

He was the top of A-tier and it was because Breathless evened up his worst matchups and turned some of his even ones into a moderate advantage due to being able to do 450 damage whenever he managed to corner certain characters. It was still inferior to Soulless in most matchups though.

And yeah, his rekka isn't any good as a footsies tool or for mixups. The first hit is -3 on block and the delay between the first hit and and the second low coming out is so long that if it hits you should probably get up and walk away because the person you're fighting just isn't paying attention. It also shuts down your oki if you score all three hits because it leaves you nearly half a screen away with no viable options to create an ambiguous roll. The only time it's ever really useful outside of a combo is when you EX it and focus cancel it.

The AE nerfs were universally stupid either because they were unnecessary or didn't actually solve the problems they were supposed to, but 2012 brought him back. They should've made step kick stand on hit instead of adding combo possibilities after moves you'll never land in a match, though. Relative to the rest of the cast, he's fallen a bit due to more characters either being given more bullshit or people discovering new stuff.

He's still fun though and I love scoring huge combos on people who are terrified of command grabs and think up/up-back is a viable SF4 strategy.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
For 98 GBO does each team need to have 6 characters or just non-identical teams?

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

RickoniX posted:

For 98 GBO does each team need to have 6 characters or just non-identical teams?

Since KoF seems to always be a single event at SBO, there is no official standing. I was going to set it to be 6 unique characters, but I'm willing to go with just non-identical or letting teams share a single character. We can cross that bridge when we get closer to it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
So the updated Guilty Gear isn't just a port.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1337762981

New moves, Kliff Justice 100% playable, UI changes. Changes to existing moves.

These might be EX characters though. Can't tell.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Waterbed posted:

So the updated Guilty Gear isn't just a port.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/1337762981

New moves, Kliff Justice 100% playable, UI changes. Changes to existing moves.

These might be EX characters though. Can't tell.

Accent Core Plus R? Jesus, just when you think they can't add anything more to the name.

Also, I need this, like, yesterday. Holy poo poo. (Blockhead Buster wallbounce goddamn.)

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 28, 2012

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8mwuFY0X4o

Youtube version.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

There's also this site, which lists the major changes and stuff.

Dragon Install Sakkai only 50 Tension? Sidewinder Force Break for Sol? Meterless Fafner? Jesus Christ, Arcsys.

Alcoholism
Nov 17, 2010

I've always been somewhat interested in GG, but I'm absolutely terrible at fighting game execution. I'll probably buy this release just to support future releases but man, why do I do this to myself

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
All johnny got was his terrible ex-mode super and the ability to throw coins upwards and he still has to pay for jackhound, guess I'm not picking you back up after all :(

Is this just listing buffs, or are they not making any important nerfs? Testament was the last character that needed to be stronger, comon arcsys.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

darealkooky posted:

All johnny got was his terrible ex-mode super and the ability to throw coins upwards and he still has to pay for jackhound, guess I'm not picking you back up after all :(

Is this just listing buffs, or are they not making any important nerfs? Testament was the last character that needed to be stronger, comon arcsys.

By the looks of it, they're just listing buffs. I'm sure the nerfs, if any, will be thoroughly documented in the upcoming loctest this week.

Edit: vvv The Anji changes are that his 6S/HS FRC timing got changed, and he has a new Force Break in the form of 623D. Kinda eh.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 08:38 on May 28, 2012

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That site doesn't load for me, could someone post the Anji poo poo? Lord knows he could use something.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
I've been messing around with the PSP version of GG (AC+, I think?), just to get familiar with the characters. Can't wait for the PSN release though. Playing 2d fighters on a Go is just a handcramp nightmare.

Been using Ky because he's very straightforward, but I'm looking forward to using some of the crazy characters when I can actually pull off their moves.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Hell fuckin yeah the site says slidehead gets an FRC. The best move just got better. Probably they'll fix the unblockable though... also judge gauntlet cancellable woooooooooooo maybe I can use it now when I don't have 75 tension. Potemkin forever.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The unblockable was never a big deal to begin with so I doubt they'll fix it. I have no idea what Judge Gaunt Break could be useful for unless the move no longer has vulnerable startup. Unless the total time is extremely short or something, then it could be used as a ghetto cancel, lol.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 28, 2012

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
For those who can't access the site, the site's full change list was posted in a much cleaner format: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/may/28/guilty-gear-xx-accent-plus-core-r-new-changelog-trailer-and-loketest-dates/

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

So, for those of us about to try GG for realz for the first time, what's the rough tier order? I'd love to try Johnny, Axl, and Slayer because they are stylish motherfuckers, but since I know Johnny is a piece of poo poo I probably won't bother.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

I haven't played AC in years, but if I remember correctly it's roughly eddie/slayer/testament > everyone else > johnny/anji/chip/bridget

Even the low tiers aren't like, COMPLETELY unplayable, you just need to put in quite a bit more work (johnny in particular seems to get quite a bit of play with japanese players.

Take everything I just said with a pretty big grain of salt, though.

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The unblockable was never a big deal to begin with so I doubt they'll fix it. I have no idea what Judge Gaunt Break could be useful for unless the move no longer has vulnerable startup. Unless the total time is extremely short or something, then it could be used as a ghetto cancel, lol.

I was thinking it could make JG useful as a kind of super late anti air- 6p's startup is a little bit so some airdash pressure characters I toss out JG on their airdash because the startup is much faster than 6p and if they are braindead dashing in they eat it into combo and if they land and block or just block in air I RC, but with this I could use it at 25 to cover my bad AA game. Granted no combo without 50% though.

For the person asking about teirs here's the real deal. Americans don't play GG that much so I'll give you my online America GG teir list.

SSSS#R teir Testament. Keepaway into mad good easy combo.

SSSS teir Potemkin assuming people realize his grab isn't a 360.

SSS teir Slayer get ready for random supers and big bang upper x4 combo.

SS teir Ky fireballs and uppercut.

S teir Sol only S cause no one will be able to mash full hits from grand viper. Also you kind of have to learn this guys combo.

S-- teir Baiken she can attack from a block that's not fair!!!

F teir Eddie only marlinpie will be doing this baby's unblockables. A bad eddie is a joke to fight.

CCC teir Millia because only two people will play her but if you fight them online hahaha have fun trying to react to her high low throw game in even like 4 frames of lag.
http://www.teyah.com/milliablocker.html

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Boxman posted:

So, for those of us about to try GG for realz for the first time, what's the rough tier order? I'd love to try Johnny, Axl, and Slayer because they are stylish motherfuckers, but since I know Johnny is a piece of poo poo I probably won't bother.
All of the chars are good

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Boxman posted:

Understand that tiers in Accent Core are much closer than they are in many other fighting games. Don't get me wrong, Johnny is still one of the worst characters in the game, but he's not unplayably bad. He still sees play even if significantly less than the higher tiers.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Johnny IS a pretty lovely first guilty gear character, though. You basically need to do tons of mist cancels, fancy TK poo poo and FRC's or put the controller down.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Glagha posted:

Understand that tiers in Accent Core are much closer than they are in many other fighting games. Don't get me wrong, Johnny is still one of the worst characters in the game, but he's not unplayably bad. He still sees play even if significantly less than the higher tiers.

Johnny's matchups vs Eddie, Zappa and Pot are all kind of bad, but they're still easier than the worst matchups in almost every other fighting game.

I mean in SBO, a team of 3 of the worst characters made it to 2nd place. Guilty Gear is reasonably balanced and when Johnny is arguably the worst character by having two 3-7 matchups, I think that speaks pretty loudly about the tiers.

darealkooky posted:

Johnny IS a pretty lovely first guilty gear character, though. You basically need to do tons of mist cancels, fancy TK poo poo and FRC's or put the controller down.

You might as well learn the character you want to learn instead of another character then picking up the harder one.

I don't understand why people tell others to pick another character first. Just play who you want and learn that stuff.

But yeah, pick who you want. If that character looks fun and cool to you, you can still win.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Spiking posted:

SSS teir Slayer get ready for random supers and big bang upper x4 combo.

http://www.teyah.com/milliablocker.html

I'm not gonna wait for you to get on irc to ask you so what do you think making HS cause ground slide will do to him? All I can think of is that his combo damage in the corner might go up slightly but his midscreen loops might get hurt. Kind of a weird change imo!

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
It's going to be rebalanced and it probably doesn't matter who you pick but Jam and Slayer are always good.

Spiking posted:

online tiers

May will be up there too for online scrubby play.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I thought I had heard that there were not unplayably bad characters in GG, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help!

Waterbed posted:

Johnny's matchups vs Eddie, Zappa and Pot are all kind of bad, but they're still easier than the worst matchups in almost every other fighting game.

As someone who still grinds it out as Boxer against Chun Li in IV, this makes me very happy.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Brosnan posted:

Short answer:

This one.

Long answer:
Shoryuken Purchasing Guide

Help me because I'm an idiot. The OP shows that beautiful stick but no mention on what's the name or where to buy it. I managed to find it's a MadCatz TE by looking around, but it's apparently stuck to one console. This is a problem for me since I have fighting games spread throughout the X360, the PS3 and PC (and older systems, but let's not go there) and the thought of buying more than one expensive stick is completely absurd.

I'm fairly sure I remember someone mentioning once on last year's EVO thread about a stick that worked cross-platform and was also good, but I can't seem to find anything now.

The closest was this thing (which is probably terrible) and this "guide" of someone upgrading their Hori Wii stick but also mentioning it works on any console with the proper adapters.

Is it common to use adapters on your stick to play across different platforms? What about modern systems that are far more complicated with their controller protocols?

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I'm not gonna wait for you to get on irc to ask you so what do you think making HS cause ground slide will do to him? All I can think of is that his combo damage in the corner might go up slightly but his midscreen loops might get hurt. Kind of a weird change imo!

If you ask me it sounds like a subtle nerf. It's gonna look weird for sure cause his fist is like going into the ground. I don't think it matters much though slayer has a lot of ways to confirm into combo. Mostly I used 5hs for scrub combos after BBU but I thought he has like 2~ other ways to combo off it. I don't know which is the best though so he might lose some combo damage/ease of combo.

I'm a little scared of testament getting better. Tracking ghost head move sounds real good for him. Man I loving hate that character.

All SF4 players coming into GG I gauruntee your game will be improved. Mixup and lockdown is so strong in Guilty. I get better at blocking whenever I play it. Blocking overheads in SF4 is easy as piss.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Saoshyant posted:

Stick stuff

As far as I'm aware, companies like MadCatz and Hori are under agreement not to offer cross-platform support. Sony and Microsoft likes to keep their controlelrs proprietary or something. For owners of those sticks, it's common(?) to go into the guts of the stick and modify the PCB to dual-mod them. Both the Xbox and PS3 versions will work with the PC, though.

Qanba is a Chinese stick company that's gaining popularity and offers dual support out the get go due to the famously high regard that China gives to property rights. eightarc is a company that sells pimped out versions of the Qanba sticks.

If I'm wrong about something, hopefully omeone will correct me.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
If you want a good quality, dual-modded stick, go eightarc.

http://eightarc.com/

Most of the good quality sticks use one of two sets of the highest quality arcade parts, so if it's $100-200, it's pretty much always going to be a good stick. There's really no way around the price point. Even if you buy a cheapo stick and mod it with good parts, you're still looking at $100+, not to mention the time and effort.

Alternatively, if you order today, the MadCatz deals from UFGT8 are still going on:

http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/23/mad-catz-visits-ufgt8-this-weekend-with-online-and-offline-deals/

You can get a Soul Calibur V or SFxT Xbox 360 stick for $100 and spend $50 on modding it so it works on all of your systems by installing a TE Kitty:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/official-kitty-class-boards-thread.129829/

This will let you use it on pretty much any console you want.

If you miss the UFGT8 deal, you can wait around a couple weeks until CEO2012 to see if there will be any other deals. Failing that, during EVO in July there are always crazy deals going around.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 29, 2012

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

darealkooky posted:

You can get really far at low level play with:

-Tiger Knee ENSEGNA zoning (412369HS)

-General zoning/keepaway with j. HS, 6HS, 5S, and his other awesome normals (6K counterhit ahahaha)

-Coin spamming/zoning til you're level 3, then go for 236S which is a 20 hit auto combo low.

-Fishing for counter-hit supers. JOHNNY SPESHU (632146HS) pretty much beats any move // super in the game if you do it on reaction to anything your opponent does

-You can learn an easy combo with level 2 236S into like, jump cancel and some stuff but it's been years and i don't remember

But yeah, Johnny was my first and only character for a long time when we first started playing this on modded PS2 with X2, Reload, and Slash in High School (oh god I'm old :psyduck: ).

Since then in my subsequent trysts with this game, I've kinda stopped working on Johnny. I learned the Sidewinder Combo with Sol and some Zappa // Robo-Ky nonsense.

But yeah, if I could beat my friends as a 16 year old with Johnny as my First Char, you can too.

Faust is also a really good starting character that a lot of people will tell you is too hard - if you just concentrate on zoning and doing 2D xx Guess a Box Super you can win tons of games and not learn any fancy combos.

I love this game :unsmith: .

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Spiking posted:

All SF4 players coming into GG I gauruntee your game will be improved. Mixup and lockdown is so strong in Guilty. I get better at blocking whenever I play it. Blocking overheads in SF4 is easy as piss.

People always talk about SF4 being a great place to start playing FGs, offline GG is what you want because it'll beat all your bad habits out of you real fast. It's not like dumb poo poo will take you far in any fighting game but it's unusually effective/satisfying in SF4, try to mash out on GG offense and you will get fuuuucked uuuuup.

Totally different topic but while I'm glad people can make a one-time investment in FGs now and play for years and years thinking about GG makes me miss the quarter culture where you felt like you had something to defend and an obvious reason to get better. Good times :(

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Mio Bison posted:

People always talk about SF4 being a great place to start playing FGs, offline GG is what you want because it'll beat all your bad habits out of you real fast. It's not like dumb poo poo will take you far in any fighting game but it's unusually effective/satisfying in SF4, try to mash out on GG offense and you will get fuuuucked uuuuup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epRxE0Xvrnk

edit though that only works on grounded opponents I think so no baiting DPs.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Any clues as to a release date yet? I'm doing the VG side of a games convention near the end of June and would love for GG to make an appearance. If not, I'll practise my balls off and run a tournament for it later in the year.

God I hope some of the discipline I learned from BlazBlue rather than spamming one move over and over like my early GG days will have stuck around and I can learn it for realsies now.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Elephunk posted:

But yeah, Johnny was my first and only character for a long time when we first started playing this on modded PS2 with X2, Reload, and Slash in High School (oh god I'm old :psyduck: ).

You weren't in college when GGX2 came out??? You're a young'un.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
My best advice for getting a stick is to lurk on SRK's trading forum until something good comes up.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
$100 for a TE stick is a good deal and you probably aren't going to get any better on srk trading. You might be lucky with your local gamestop and a cheapo brawl stick though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Saoshyant posted:

I'm fairly sure I remember someone mentioning once on last year's EVO thread about a stick that worked cross-platform and was also good, but I can't seem to find anything now.

Eightarc or Quanba is the way to go for dual mods. Eightarcs are just re-branded Quanba's so quality is the same. If I recall you are from Portugal? So getting hold of a Quanba will probably be easier, I personally very highly recommend the Q4RAF. Good weight, has a cable compartment and all parts (except start/select etc) are sanwa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Saoshyant posted:

Help me because I'm an idiot. The OP shows that beautiful stick but no mention on what's the name or where to buy it. I managed to find it's a MadCatz TE by looking around, but it's apparently stuck to one console. This is a problem for me since I have fighting games spread throughout the X360, the PS3 and PC (and older systems, but let's not go there) and the thought of buying more than one expensive stick is completely absurd.

The closest was this thing (which is probably terrible) and this "guide" of someone upgrading their Hori Wii stick but also mentioning it works on any console with the proper adapters.

Is it common to use adapters on your stick to play across different platforms? What about modern systems that are far more complicated with their controller protocols?

The Qanba Q4 uses the same parts and works on both consoles out of the box. It's also half the price. You might have trouble finding one in the sates, though.

• Locked thread