Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Obviously the solution is to develop blueprints for all your buddies, and when they get sploded, tell them they owe you a favor. The number and intensity of jokes you make about said favor's cash value is up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Dareon posted:

Obviously the solution is to develop blueprints for all your buddies, and when they get sploded, tell them they owe you a favor. The number and intensity of jokes you make about said favor's cash value is up to you.

That would probably earn you quite a bit of rep, too.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Dareon posted:

This reminds me - my GM is being a dick, and is making fabricating the blueprints I spent an arm and a leg on into a major hurdle, much bigger than acquiring the blueprints themselves. Nobody be that guy, it's bullshit to spend 5x-10x the amount of money over just buying the items, and then being railroaded into using level 5 favors to get access to a fabber, then using more favors to hack the loving thing so it'll use my unregistered blueprints.

Or am I breaking his game by playing a drone rigger with a bunch of weaponized guardian angel drones?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

This reminds me - my GM is being a dick, and is making fabricating the blueprints I spent an arm and a leg on into a major hurdle, much bigger than acquiring the blueprints themselves. Nobody be that guy, it's bullshit to spend 5x-10x the amount of money over just buying the items, and then being railroaded into using level 5 favors to get access to a fabber, then using more favors to hack the loving thing so it'll use my unregistered blueprints.

Or am I breaking his game by playing a drone rigger with a bunch of weaponized guardian angel drones?

That's something you two should have worked out before hand. As written, most places don't want you blowing big holes in the walls. On the other hand, there are a lot of good reasons to have access to heavy weaponry (you live in a Libertopia, you work for security, you work for an outlaw organization with an unlocked fab, you're a gatecrasher, etc.) The rules for acquiring equipment are pretty hazy and equipment is a big part of the game, so it comes down to whatever seems like out will be fun for everybody.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
There's gotta be a way to make a setting summary for Eclipse Phase players that makes it less tl;dr.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Infinite Karma posted:

Where is your game set? As a GM, I would base fabber availability on the habitat.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

clockworkjoe posted:

Where is your game set? As a GM, I would base fabber availability on the habitat.
Mars, our choice of locale (per player). I guess fabbers are freely available, but locked down so you can only create mindless consumer goods, a robotics researcher has to go to the criminal underground to actually build anything not DRM-approved by whatever hypercorps run the show.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Infinite Karma posted:

Mars, our choice of locale (per player). I guess fabbers are freely available, but locked down so you can only create mindless consumer goods, a robotics researcher has to go to the criminal underground to actually build anything not DRM-approved by whatever hypercorps run the show.

In the RPPR Know Evil campaign, buying a blueprint meant that you were buying a hypercorp approved version. In the anarchist habitats, all blueprints were freely available.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

clockworkjoe posted:

In the RPPR Know Evil campaign, buying a blueprint meant that you were buying a hypercorp approved version. In the anarchist habitats, all blueprints were freely available.

Yea, in more 'developed' areas buying a blueprint means you're buying the official documents approved by the hypercorp in question. In anarchist and such areas buying a bluepring means going to Scummy Randy and saying 'yo, I wanna build a space ship, make it happen'. Two totally different fields.

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.
Saw this video about the corporate sponsored virtual afterlife on my G+ stream. Seems relevant.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Is there a good resource or template to help whip up the most important stats for npcs, major or mooks or otherwise?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
They have an entire pdf of npcs you could use http://eclipsephase.com/releases/npc-file-01-prime

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Perfect starting point thank you. Would anyone be interested in a formatted npc template sheet from a publishing program? I might as well share the dozen or so main npcs i need to build along with my methods of design.t

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I know the guy running the game I'm in would appreciate them, might even be able to use them myself for the AI helpers I just purchased (because Teamwork is like monkeys for nothing and chimps for free)

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Grim posted:

I know the guy running the game I'm in would appreciate them, might even be able to use them myself for the AI helpers I just purchased (because Teamwork is like monkeys for nothing and chimps for free)

Are you talking about a character trait called Teamwork?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
No, just using the Teamwork rules for skills - it's easy as hell to get multiple AIs with programming / infosec / etc to give you a +30 bonus when using those skills

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Ok a few rules questions that came up in the first two sessions:

1 - when using fray to dodge an attack, does a succesful fray check also need to beat the attackers roll, ie attacker rolls 58/60 kinetic weapons, defender rolls 18/30 fray half from 60.

2 - medichines...none of the players have them and i want to push them towards more non combat items and resources,what is a good thing to toss at them?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Fenarisk posted:

Ok a few rules questions that came up in the first two sessions:

1 - when using fray to dodge an attack, does a succesful fray check also need to beat the attackers roll, ie attacker rolls 58/60 kinetic weapons, defender rolls 18/30 fray half from 60.

2 - medichines...none of the players have them and i want to push them towards more non combat items and resources,what is a good thing to toss at them?

1. in that example attacker still hits. This means any attack roll over 50 is impossible to dodge unless you roll a critical success for the fray check.

2. I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you talking about healing/medical items or just in general? Nano bandages are a good place to start. Also your players are dumb as hell. Medichines should be mandatory for Firewall agents they are baller as gently caress.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

clockworkjoe posted:

Medichines should be mandatory for Firewall agents they are baller as gently caress.

The guys in my group equate Medichines with magic. Nano machine attack? I have medichines. Viral contamination? We have medichines, right? Basilisk hack? Medichines help against this right? Medichines are nice and all but come on guys.

Anyway, I finally got around to scanning these character portraits for the rest of my eclipse phase group.

Matt is a merc badass that scores about 99% of the kills in our games that actually happen during initiative. He is basically a murder man that has a surprisingly balanced skill spread. He is just so good at killing that you would think he was min maxing.

Dalton is our stealth assassin and does the majority of killing outside of initiative. The guy is obsessed with cutting throats which is nice when we need it but kind of annoying when we are in the middle of a fire fight.

Amber is essentially a DnD stealthy rogue. She hasn't gotten a chance to really show off her skills very often but has been a source of a lot of comic relief between trying to see just how smart her smart monkey is and a tendency to be the only one of the group to actually get hit by enemy fire in combat and subsequently being sleeved into a dazzling array of quirky black market morphs. The latest of which has a powerful combination of Striking looks, a drug gland that secretes Hither, and the Enhanced Pheremones implant.

and finally my character, Corporate Chimp whose beta fork has become the leader of a Mars-based popular revolt among Uplift and Synth morphs. The Original is going to be in for a surprise when the news reaches him in the Outer rim.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006
Gorgeous portraits!

It's been so long since the last EP thing came out. I really wish they would at least update their website blog more, so that it has more than 1 update per season. It makes the game seem dead, even though it's not. Seriously if a new player logged on and saw the updates were that slow they might think they got a dying game.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Those are amazing. Makes me wish I could sketch my EP character. Any chance you're interested in comissions? ;)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chance II posted:

and finally my character, Corporate Chimp whose beta fork has become the leader of a Mars-based popular revolt among Uplift and Synth morphs.

Has no one told you you're legally not allowed to post this and not draw Guerilla Chimp? :colbert:

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Has no one told you you're legally not allowed to post this and not draw Guerilla Chimp? :colbert:

I'm working on it! The beta fork was sleeved into a custom designed ape synthmorph and by the time he finished taking over the local drug production ring he had gold teeth and a kick addiction. Our current story arc finished last night with the total destruction of New Shanghai in order to quarantine an ex-virus out break. The good news is that since the guerilla forces were with me attacking a research facility in the Martian outback, a ton of New Shanghai's synth and uplift community wasn't in town when the nukes hit so I guess the revolution was a success?

EDIT

And Comrade Gorbash, I could do up a portrait if you want, they're sketches I do at work so just send me a description and don't be offended if it doesn't compare to business chimp.

Cthuluzord
May 27, 2012
Hi! I'm Caleb. I'm the GM for the Know Evil campaign mentioned earlier in the thread. If you guys dig that campaign, you might consider my Kickstarter. It's not for EP (yet), but it's horror scenarios compatible with multiple systems.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/no-security-horror-scenarios-in-the-great-depressi

On an unrelated note, I'm excited to finally stop lurking and begin getting flamed for my unforgivable noobishness.

Kire
Aug 25, 2006

Cthuluzord posted:

Hi! I'm Caleb. I'm the GM for the Know Evil campaign mentioned earlier in the thread. If you guys dig that campaign, you might consider my Kickstarter. It's not for EP (yet), but it's horror scenarios compatible with multiple systems.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159466030/no-security-horror-scenarios-in-the-great-depressi

On an unrelated note, I'm excited to finally stop lurking and begin getting flamed for my unforgivable noobishness.

Welcome! That's great that you're working on some EP-compatible material.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
The EP campaign run over at RPPR is really great and sparked my interest in the setting and game. clockworkjoe is a player and Cthulhuzord is the GM and if you've got, like, 30 hours to spare you can listen to it all, starting here.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Cthuluzord posted:

I've really enjoyed the Know Evil campaign and the A Dirty World: Berlin was great.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Cthuluzord posted:

Run more 1930's CoC, Fisher of Men was still your best work :colbert:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

BlackIronHeart posted:

The EP campaign run over at RPPR is really great and sparked my interest in the setting and game. clockworkjoe is a player and Cthulhuzord is the GM and if you've got, like, 30 hours to spare you can listen to it all, starting here.

This is a better starting place. I only use the know evil tag for the campaign.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Chance II posted:

The guys in my group equate Medichines with magic. Nano machine attack? I have medichines. Viral contamination? We have medichines, right? Basilisk hack? Medichines help against this right? Medichines are nice and all but come on guys.

I'd have to double check but I don't think medichines nullify viral contaminations, manomachines, or basilisk hacks. They essentially just increase your natural healing ability. You don't become Wolverine.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I'd have to double check but I don't think medichines nullify viral contaminations, manomachines, or basilisk hacks. They essentially just increase your natural healing ability. You don't become Wolverine.

I'm pretty sure they nullify standard diseases and toxins. (Making them the WORST loving THINGS EVER. No loving drugs!)

But nanomachines and basalisk hacks? Your hosed. (Seriously, basalisk hacks? Do they even get what a basalisk image IS?! Your medichines can't protect you from your own loving brain.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I'm pretty sure they nullify standard diseases and toxins. (Making them the WORST loving THINGS EVER. No loving drugs!)

You can actually turn them off if you want to get high, IIRC. :science:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Aren't basilisk hacks meant to be a thing that's rumored might exist but no-ones sure?

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Guys, the whole point of the post is that the rest of the group doesn't know what they do and instead think they protect against everything. I just got tired of explaining that no, the audio visual basilisk hack you just exposed yourself can't be fixed with medichines.

BrotherAdso
May 22, 2008

stat rosa pristina nomine
nomina nuda tenemus

Chance II posted:

Guys, the whole point of the post is that the rest of the group doesn't know what they do and instead think they protect against everything. I just got tired of explaining that no, the audio visual basilisk hack you just exposed yourself can't be fixed with medichines.

Hah. Just give them a quick handout explaining the difference between nanophages, medichines, and clean metabolism, which are the three primary "healer-immunity" things people seem to use.

On another note, I got to play this game for the first time this weekend in a two-day game session where we learned the system, made characters and an adventure, and played. It had been a busy year and it was the first roleplaying I'd done since last June. Wow, what a system and universe. Are there any player-created repositories of NPCs, adventures, etc out there?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Chance II posted:

They have an entire pdf of npcs you could use http://eclipsephase.com/releases/npc-file-01-prime

Here you go!

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

You can actually turn them off if you want to get high, IIRC. :science:

What good are medichines if i never turn them on? :350:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is a basilisk hack? Is it a memetic signal that causes your brain to lock itself up or something?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Tollymain posted:

What is a basilisk hack? Is it a memetic signal that causes your brain to lock itself up or something?

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
Some confusion we've encountered in character creation. You have 400 CP to spend on Active Skills and 300 CP for Knowledge Skills. The cost goes up to 2 CP for 1 Skill Point beyond 60, but is that 60 including your morph bonus? Since morphs are discussed after it tells you to spend some free points on skills, I would think you'd use just your ego Attributes to determine when you hit 60. Also, I think I read that you add in Faction and Background bonuses at the end as well, right?

For instance, if I have a COG of 20 in a Menton morph with a +10 to, let's say, Research from my Background and I buy Research up to 75, how many CP did I spend?

35 CP = Buy up to 55 from COG 20, +10 to COG from Menton, +10 from Background.
40 CP = COG 30 after Menton, buy up to 60 for 30 CP, buy up to 65 for 10 CP, +10 from Background.
50 CP = COG 30 after Menton, Research 40 from Background, buy up to 60 for 20 CP, buy up to 75 for 30 CP.

I have players doing it all sorts of different ways so I need to recalculate how much they've each spent so they can balance themselves out. By my understanding, the first one is correct.

Thanks for any help in advance. I'm planning on running Glory for them to get a feel for the game. Starting them out as non-Firewall who happen to be on Locus and have the right skill sets for trial mission.

• Locked thread