Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

VagueRant posted:

Now if Elentor and the people who quoted him can just edit that out, problem goes away and we can get back to discussing why they thought purple was a good colour for 1st Class members of SOLDIER.

Did they even retcon it blue? 'cause that gave me purple pride.

You know, until this thread I always thought that it was blue? This changes... almost nothing, really, but it's still a nice thing to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Now if Elentor and the people who quoted him can just edit that out, problem goes away and we can get back to discussing why they thought purple was a good colour for 1st Class members of SOLDIER.

It is only fitting that 1sts would get the most fabulous uniforms.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Dauntasa posted:

It is only fitting that 1sts would get the most fabulous uniforms.

Speaking of which, has Sephiroth ever been depicted in the regular uniform as opposed to his iconic outfit?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SirPhoebos posted:

Speaking of which, has Sephiroth ever been depicted in the regular uniform as opposed to his iconic outfit?

No, shame really. Though, I think the purple would clash with his hair :v:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I think it'd be funnier to see him as an MP getting chewed out for his non-regulation haircut.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dauntasa posted:

I think it'd be funnier to see him as an MP getting chewed out for his non-regulation haircut.

"Wadda you call that poo poo, boy! That ain't regulation? Wadda' think you are? A purple anime fairy? The best part of you, is with your momma's body in a tank- Look me in the eye goddammit! You come here as a aniMAY, you're gonna leave an aniMAN!"

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 30, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
Reminder:

Elentor posted:

* NO SPOILERS. I met two people this year who had just started playing FF7 and did not actually know anything, even the major events everyone knows about. So it's possible there will be one or two readers who don't know either. Don't talk about anything beyond what we've seen.

I know there's a couple things that might seem ridiculous, but the OP asked for it; please don't just decide for everyone what is or isn't "common knowledge" .

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

VagueRant posted:

Actually, via Crisis Core, it was apparently retconned black.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VagueRant posted:

Nah, the SOLDIER 1st Class uniform has always been navy blue. It's just that after like a hundred wash cycles, it kinda washes out to purple.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Magil of Shadow posted:

Actually, via Crisis Core, it was apparently retconned black.
Well purple is a type of black. :v:

In all seriousness that's one of the more minor retcons. The only thing that purple evokes for me is aristocracy and birth-based arrogance, which doesn't really apply to SOLDIER First Class. It's not like they're part of the bourgeois, they're just really good at killing people.

Using a quick google search though, purple can also be applied to spiritual strength and mystery, which I guess applies.

Black evokes death, earth, secrecy, class, evil, and a lot of things which have to do with power, authority, and murder. Overall, seems to fit better.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Nah, the SOLDIER 1st Class uniform has always been navy blue. It's just that after like a hundred wash cycles, it kinda washes out to purple.

Or if you're a special snowflake you can wear whatever the hell you feel like. But you better be extra good at slaughtering armies for that right.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Honestly, they probably did purple because purple stands out really well onscreen.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Trasson posted:

Honestly, they probably did purple because purple stands out really well onscreen.

Same old "Mario wears overalls" solution where character design is dictated by technology limitations.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Twelve year old me always thought it was purple because purple is the colour of the aristocracy, and SOLDIER are Elites. I think 3rd class is Blue and 2nd is Red, right?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Purple is a perfectly sensible color for an elite death squad.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
I think I read somewhere that the first class SOLDIER uniforms were always meant to be black, but that they couldn't make it so that it didn't look bad on the little LEGO sprites.

keet
Aug 20, 2005

Byers2142 posted:

You know, until this thread I always thought that it was blue? This changes... almost nothing, really, but it's still a nice thing to learn.

It's blue. Cloud's is drawn (emphasis on drawn) purple often because he's mostly yellow colored otherwise and it's purple's compliment. Pops out to the viewer more. Its kinda like how in comics a lot of black is blue or purple to avoid looking flat. Tifa's white tank top is probably to break up the dark space from her huge-rear end hair and dark shorts. Aeris' dumb red jacket is probably to break up all the ~PINK~ or because she's from a 90's comic book or I guess she needs a place to keep her keys n stuff.

Hell, even Cloud's dress is purple.

You can't really do the full black outfit except on HD stuff like we got now. Tifa's outfit in AC is pretty nice, but we wouldn't know kilt from skort to asscape if they tried that back in the PS1 days. A skirt and tanktop is as much fanservice as pragmatic programming.

keet fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 31, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cool Ghost posted:

I think I read somewhere that the first class SOLDIER uniforms were always meant to be black, but that they couldn't make it so that it didn't look bad on the little LEGO sprites.

They're not sprites :v:

And yea, you couldn't do a black outfit properly back then. It wasn't impossible back in the PSX but it was very hard to pull properly.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Pesky Splinter posted:

You come here as a aniMAY, you're gonna leave an aniMAN!"

I just know that one day, I will say this aloud.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

simplefish posted:

I just know that one day, I will say this aloud.

Lucky for you A-kon is this weekend. I'm sure you could find somebody to say it to there, whether you would make it back out is another question.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

SirPhoebos posted:

Pesky Splinter posted:

I take this back:

The modders have made him dress in uniform.

[e2]: This should make it easier for contrast. Behold the orange, ye mighty, and despair!

[e]: I like how his mouth is wide-open in horror that all he can see is the blueish-purple void. And you're right about the black, it looks dodgy enough on Sephiroth, let alone how it would look on the troops.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 31, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like how they contrast the purple uniform with the... purple background.

VVVVVVVVVVVVV I was just thinking about that. The gaping mouth has always been there. But why God, why?

Elentor fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 31, 2012

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011
Why did they have these gaping mouth holes in the PC version?

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

I take this back:

The modders have made him dress in uniform.

[e]: I like how his mouth is wide-open in horror that all he can see is the blueish-purple void. And you're right about the black, it looks dodgy enough on Sephiroth, let alone how it would look on the troops.
VVV

Isn't that the wrong uniform for SOLDIER? It looks more like a generic Shinra mook uniform.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

NothingToFyr posted:

Isn't that the wrong uniform for SOLDIER? It looks more like a generic Shinra mook uniform.

You...are absolutely right. I'm guessing this is just a mod to have Sephiroth replace Cloud, and Cloud has to wear that mook's uniform in Junon. Yeah, first class is purple isn't it?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Brainamp posted:

Lucky for you A-kon is this weekend. I'm sure you could find somebody to say it to there, whether you would make it back out is another question.
No, no, going out of my way to create an opportunity would weaken it and be really rather try-hard. No, one day, something will happen, a situation that deserves such a smackdown, and the words will leave my lips before I know what I will have done.

For content - Purple, black or blue? You decide!
This is a quick-n-dirty colour palette done by taking screenshots and then using a colour-picker tool. No, it's not authoratative or probably even that accurate, but since the line between blue and purple is different to some people, I thought it might be interesting. Three values for a part that's lit, one that's neither lit nor in shade, and one that's supposed to be in shadow.

Lit -> Medium -> In Shadow

"Blocky" Cloud:
513F67 -> 3F3051 -> 211D2C
"Battle" Cloud:
343144 -> 1F1E30 -> 0D0D19
(In especially bright light, lightest is 403869, darkest is 120C18)
"Advent Children" Cloud:
3A3E4A -> 222632 -> 07080D

What got me is just how dark all of these colours are. Even the "light" colours aren't as light in block form as they seem in comparison to their surroundings. Really says a lot about the environment FF7 has. The colours are surprisingly similar between Battle Cloud and AC Cloud, with Blocky Cloud being a bit lighter overall, but with similar variance between light, base colour and shade.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 31, 2012

Saucy!
Apr 27, 2012

spangin' for kratom

quote:

Why did they have these gaping mouth holes in the PC version?
Yeah, why is it that the enhanced detail (or whatever they call it) model of Sephiroth has that huge black dot on his face? I assume it's supposed to be his mouth, but, why is it so big? Is his jaw permanently dropped in surprise? Did his lips get stung by a bee at a KISS concert? Is he a mouthbreather? I imagine it'd be kind of hard to take some world-ending demigod seriously if you can hear his soft palate vibrating up and down every half-second like that kid from Hey Arnold.

iTrust
Mar 25, 2010

It's not good for your health.

:frogc00l:
If Saints Row the Third taught me anything it's that purple is the manliest colour.

Therefore Purple SOLDIER First Class is Ok.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Saucy! posted:

Yeah, why is it that the enhanced detail (or whatever they call it) model of Sephiroth has that huge black dot on his face? I assume it's supposed to be his mouth, but, why is it so big? Is his jaw permanently dropped in surprise? Did his lips get stung by a bee at a KISS concert? Is he a mouthbreather? I imagine it'd be kind of hard to take some world-ending demigod seriously if you can hear his soft palate vibrating up and down every half-second like that kid from Hey Arnold.

The thing is, it's not just him, almost every character had this face hole.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

simplefish posted:

Lit -> Medium -> In Shadow

"Blocky" Cloud:
513F67 -> 3F3051 -> 211D2C
"Battle" Cloud:
343144 -> 1F1E30 -> 0D0D19
(In especially bright light, lightest is 403869, darkest is 120C18)
"Advent Children" Cloud:
3A3E4A -> 222632 -> 07080D

For those who are bad at visualising hex colours;

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

FillInTheBlank posted:

For those who are bad at visualising hex colours;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doI9mJaBvfE

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

iTrust posted:

If Saints Row the Third taught me anything it's that purple is the manliest colour.

This man here speaks the truth...not that my gang tag has any sway in my answer.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

I see this and I picture Sephiroth making an "OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM" sound throughout every single conversation. The guy must have been hell to work with even before he went bonkers.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
That's just his impressive mustache.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

iTrust posted:

We agree with this.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I played the PC version first so when I played it on the PSX one of my first thoughts was; "The mouths are gone. Thank God."

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
It's strange to me that Cloud would even still be wearing the SOLDIER uniform.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

revtoiletduck posted:

Psychological warfare. Would YOU mess with a guy wearing the uniform of the top rank of an elite military order, who has literal superhuman strength and combat skill? It advertises to everyone that I you mess with this guy he will gently caress you up.

I guess random encounters are just the brave/stupid enemies

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

Psychological warfare. Would YOU mess with a guy wearing the uniform of the top rank of an elite military order, who has literal superhuman strength and combat skill? It advertises to everyone that I you mess with this guy he will gently caress you up.

I guess random encounters are just the brave/stupid enemies

Or the ones who drew the short straw.

"Man...I'm gonna miss Steve."

"Why?"

"He lost the bet, he has to be the one to go fight that 1st Class who went rogue and is running around with that barmaid and some slum girl."

"Oohhhh....man, I'd HATE to be him right about now..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

revtoiletduck posted:

It's a good look, man.

• Locked thread