Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
So I've kinda just been wandering around getting the hang of things. Where the hell are the catacombs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

Policenaut posted:

I'm honestly just wondering if they plan to build on this game with expansion DLC. I mean I know this is Capcom we're talking about but still this is one of those games where I'd want to see new places even in DLC form.

I would really like to see some explorable area/side story DLC for this. None, of the DLC so far holds any interest for me, but some really additional content I think I would jump at the chance to get.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

rizuhbull posted:

What'd be especially amazing, and make up for a lot of the poo poo Capcom has been pulling lately, would be a Dragon's Dogma 2 with similar but expanded gameplay set in Feudal Japan. I want to fight actual Dragons, Oni's (Asian goblins), Obake (shape-shifting dogs) with big rear end odachi swords and naginata pole-arms. This is getting a bit over my head because I don't know Japanese folklore outside of using wikipedia. But just as this game is drenched in medieval Europe, I want a sequel focused on a completely different setting. Plus polearms, where the hell are my polearms? You tellin' me to fight quadruped creatures with short range swords? The gently caress is wrong with you? Also, I want to fight in water and in the air a bit. SoTC style.

Honestly, with how much money they apparently put in to this first game I wouldn't be surprised if they made a sequel in the same vein as Monster Hunter games where they re-use a ton of content and just build on top of it. And I'd personally be fine with that as long as there's enough new stuff and they improve the engine.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Refind Chaos posted:

I've got enough of the mats to make balmy stuff that it's almost all I carry out with me other than a few status cures and some of the vim whatever that let's you not use stamina for awhile.
Where are you finding the harpsbud sauce/juice in any quantity? It's a super rare find for me, even if I've got nuts coming out of every orifice. GnomeChomsky won't pick up much else, but man, is he a fiend for nuts.

I wonder if he's trying to tell me something :gay:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Refind Chaos posted:

I would really like to see some explorable area/side story DLC for this. None, of the DLC so far holds any interest for me, but some really additional content I think I would jump at the chance to get.
Yeah the fetch quests don't do anything for me, but I would shell out for new areas with questlines leading in big setpieces like the Shadow Fort or Blue Moon Tower. There are so many ways they could go with sequels. Stick with this world and show wherever Julien and Mercedes are from, or use the Rift to switch to any setting.

Man is the Ur-Dragon tough as a Mystic Knight. I barely did half a bar while trying to Dragonforge a mace and shield.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Zombie Boat posted:

So I've kinda just been wandering around getting the hang of things. Where the hell are the catacombs?

Northwest of Gran Soren. They're not too far off one of the roads.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm getting this game tomorrow. Are any of the DLC worth it or should I just go vanilla?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Renoistic posted:

I'm getting this game tomorrow. Are any of the DLC worth it or should I just go vanilla?

The weapons look kinda cool, and could be useful in the early game, so they might be worth picking up.

The quest DLC is not worth it at all, it's literally a bunch of Assassin's Creed I flags added to the game and you only get minimal amounts of experience and RC from it. I don't even have a popular pawn but I've managed to buy most of the skin/hair dyes and still have over 100k RC just from rentals/loot.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

MadJackMcJack posted:

Soooo, I just took a trip to Devilfire Gorge. gently caress that Drake! Lvl46 and he still wiped the floor with me. Mind you, didn't help that I was a Sorcerer and almost everything he did knocked me out of the casting animation. Eventually hid behind a small rock and cast Maelstrom over it to catch the bastard whenever he charged. Eat it Drake :black101:

Also, with regards to that fight, what with the dragonforged stuff? Is it a level above 3-star, and what determines what items are upgraded?
Just had that fight today, at a similar level. And didn't get any dragonforged gear, annoyingly. I actually found the fight relatively easy, at least as compared to my mortal enemies, cockatrices. One salvo of Hunter Bolt when it took off brings it down to whack away at the heart for a bit, and then it was just a matter of sitting back and Sixfold Bolting it while it unfortunetly kept murdering my pawns (and occasionally killing them myself when I could interrupt his mind control trick in time).

Dropping back into Strider to pick up those last few proficiency points I missed, and i'm really missing Magic Archer. I started off with Assassin and while i'd prefer to keep Easy Kill Magic Archer is by far my favourite class so far.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So the first time I ran into the Ur-Dragon's chambers (didn't know that's what they were) he didn't really seem to spawn and kind of just flew away.

Second time I went in awhile later and he spawned with no health, so I killed him dead. Really dead. In a very short amount of time. Gained two levels from it as well.

I got the abyssal gear but in my opinion it doesn't look very good so I'm not using it. My mage currently has on these white robes that I think suit a healer well. I got the siegfried mask, a mace, a staff (which I gave to my mage), and daggers and a sword, which is good since I'm an assassin. So I guess my question is, what are good sword moves I should try using? And are these technically the best weapons in the game?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Made it to post game, oh my god its so cool :stare:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Funkmaster General posted:

The one you just bought literally doesn't exist and you paid to end a quest, basically. You'll get some gifts from the people you bought it for but not much.

On the plus side, if you buy the house pip becomes an orphan. That's what you get for sass-mouthing me!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Clocks posted:

So I guess my question is, what are good sword moves I should try using? And are these technically the best weapons in the game?

Compass slash is great for crowd control, and also because you can use it while under attack so it helps you get out of being stun-locked if multiple enemies are hitting you. Clarity is a great "Oh poo poo I'm surrounded" panic move, although it requires better timing than the dagger counterpart. Windmill slash is the hundred kisses equivalent, and gouge is great on big monsters.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

VDay posted:

Compass slash is great for crowd control, and also because you can use it while under attack so it helps you get out of being stun-locked if multiple enemies are hitting you. Clarity is a great "Oh poo poo I'm surrounded" panic move, although it requires better timing than the dagger counterpart. Windmill slash is the hundred kisses equivalent, and gouge is great on big monsters.

All right, thanks! I'll check those out. If it doesn't work out then I guess I'll go back to the trusty daggers I've been using for the past 50 levels.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gouge is hilariously broken. I can solo the Ur-Dragon in about 30 minutes total using it, counting time spent waiting around for the dumb dragon to come back. Now that I'm in NG+ I could probably do it much faster.

Assassin owns.

flymonkey
Feb 7, 2012

Marogareh posted:

Kinda sucks in a way since everyone and their dog has it on. I have a spare set if anyone wants it.
If that spare set is still up for grabs, my PSN is akarshi. I recently started a new game, so that's why my pawn is hideously low level, by the way.

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.

Revenant Threshold posted:

Just had that fight today, at a similar level. And didn't get any dragonforged gear, annoyingly. I actually found the fight relatively easy, at least as compared to my mortal enemies, cockatrices. One salvo of Hunter Bolt when it took off brings it down to whack away at the heart for a bit, and then it was just a matter of sitting back and Sixfold Bolting it while it unfortunetly kept murdering my pawns (and occasionally killing them myself when I could interrupt his mind control trick in time).

Dropping back into Strider to pick up those last few proficiency points I missed, and i'm really missing Magic Archer. I started off with Assassin and while i'd prefer to keep Easy Kill Magic Archer is by far my favourite class so far.

Drakes are amazingly simple to kill Sorcerer, Glicel and High Glicel are amazing against it. For any class with melee, simply cling to the heart and go nuts. He rarely knocks you off. Mystic Knight is easy as well, simply run up and slap a ruinous sigil under his feet. Should knock him over a good percent of the time, just keep putting them down and the fight should be over quickly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you see some visual indication of when a pawn is using curatives? I'm using Freighter S. to hold everything and then taking items from him when I need them, but I get the impression he's using a lot of these when I'm not looking, even though he isn't set to Utilitarian yet (though I'll be giving him that inclination since several people said it was good). I just don't want him using the likes of Panaceas because I accidentally wandered into my mage pawn's blindness field to hit the last goblin in a fight, or wasting tons of curatives on fights that we could have won without them.

Also, does your main pawn count as an NPC whose affinity you can raise? Since there seems to be no way around it, I would be completely okay with Emosnipe and Freighter S. getting together but not most of these NPCs. Not that I'm anywhere close to finishing the main game, but it's pretty awesome if you can do that.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You get a message on the right side of the screen, and the pawn will talk about curatives when they use an item.

flymonkey
Feb 7, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Can you see some visual indication of when a pawn is using curatives? I'm using Freighter S. to hold everything and then taking items from him when I need them, but I get the impression he's using a lot of these when I'm not looking, even though he isn't set to Utilitarian yet (though I'll be giving him that inclination since several people said it was good). I just don't want him using the likes of Panaceas because I accidentally wandered into my mage pawn's blindness field to hit the last goblin in a fight, or wasting tons of curatives on fights that we could have won without them.

Also, does your main pawn count as an NPC whose affinity you can raise? Since there seems to be no way around it, I would be completely okay with Emosnipe and Freighter S. getting together but not most of these NPCs. Not that I'm anywhere close to finishing the main game, but it's pretty awesome if you can do that.
I think it displays the same message on the right side of the screen as when they're picking up items. Also, the pawn says when they're using curatives too, I think - at least, I remember my pawn saying "A curative would suffice" before and her HP going up.

And your main pawn does not count as an NPC with a raisable affinity.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

flymonkey posted:

And your main pawn does not count as an NPC with a raisable affinity.

Oh god I'm afraid of the innkeeper now. :ohdear:

whatwillitbetoday

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004

VDay posted:

The pride you feel when your pawn comes back with a good rating/review is matched only by the anger and confusion when it comes back with 0 RC and 1/2 stars in everything. gently caress you too, random person on the internet :argh:

This is me all day.

Despite being lv70+ and having about the same amount of hours in the game, my pawn was only hired about 10 times. Overnight I had two people hire mine and give 5 star ratings and I felt like all my work was paying off. Today more people are hiring but I've gotten nothing but no effort 3 star, no gift, no comment ratings. It'd be nice if the comments section had better choices for critiques, but I never get comments anyways.

It doesn't help that my friend has his pawn in the top 10 with well over 20 million RC, which he loves to bring up. :argh:

Your 0 RC sounds more like a troll than anything though.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I've just started over on a Fighter / Warrior killersaurus just to smooth out a rough start and I had a couple questions from where I'd gotten to in the game -

- Does the Fighter augment that halves stamina use from holding heavy objects / grappling apply to clambering on monsters or is that covered by the Strider augment?

- How do elementally branded weapons work? I bought an ice-enchanted longsword and noticed that the Strength was much lower than the closest pure-physical weapon but it actually gave me a bonus to Magic. Does Magic affect the elemental damage a weapon does, and does a permanently elemental weapon prevent Affinity spells for other elements being cast on it?

- Is it worth trying to wear light armour as a Warrior to keep my mobility high and rely on the Bastion augment or should I just tank it up with all the killdozer plate I can find? Not to say I can't do both with Sinew, but...

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Frankosity posted:

I've just started over on a Fighter / Warrior killersaurus just to smooth out a rough start and I had a couple questions from where I'd gotten to in the game -

- Does the Fighter augment that halves stamina use from holding heavy objects / grappling apply to clambering on monsters or is that covered by the Strider augment?

- How do elementally branded weapons work? I bought an ice-enchanted longsword and noticed that the Strength was much lower than the closest pure-physical weapon but it actually gave me a bonus to Magic. Does Magic affect the elemental damage a weapon does, and does a permanently elemental weapon prevent Affinity spells for other elements being cast on it?

- Is it worth trying to wear light armour as a Warrior to keep my mobility high and rely on the Bastion augment or should I just tank it up with all the killdozer plate I can find? Not to say I can't do both with Sinew, but...

- Only the Strider augment affects climbing monsters as far as I know.

- The magic stat is basically how much damage the enchantment does. Affinity spells will overwrite that with the temporary enchantment which will probably end up doing more damage.

- The best thing would probably be to use Sinew and that one strider augment that lets you move as if you're one weight class lighter.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frankosity posted:

1) I'm not sure about this one but I'm pretty sure it's what you described here - it only applies to grappling, not climbing (else the Strider one would be pretty redundant).

2) Magic affects the elemental damage dealt by the weapon. To give an example, if you have a regular weapon buffed by a mage/sorc, it uses the caster's magic stat.

3) Wear heavier armour. It doesn't affect your mobility at all except if it's heavy enough to bump you into another weight category, which most of it shouldn't be with Sinew and enhancements. All that stuff is Fighter/Warrior/Mystic Knight exclusive for a reason - use it!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Oh god I'm afraid of the innkeeper now. :ohdear:

whatwillitbetoday

Have your pick! Any you like!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Funkmaster General posted:

The quest DLC is not worth it at all, it's literally a bunch of Assassin's Creed I flags added to the game and you only get minimal amounts of experience and RC from it. I don't even have a popular pawn but I've managed to buy most of the skin/hair dyes and still have over 100k RC just from rentals/loot.

The quest dlc is actually significantly worse than asscreed flags. Since those were present in a large number and visible from a good distance they promoted exploration and awareness. The quest dlc medals are practically invisible until you're right on top of them and appear at such a low density the odds of you finding them by simply exploring are close to 0, so it's basically just "go to quest marker, get points".

Maybe that wouldn't be the case if all 100 of them were out at once, but even if you did spend $10 for a token collecting minigame, it wouldn't work because you need to take the quests for them to appear and you can only have something like 5 of the quests active at a time.

The only reason I can think of for buying them is they get you rift crystals at a rate of 8,000 per $1 instead of 2,000. But considering I made 80,000 rc last night by doing nothing and have nothing to spend rc on besides those pointless vanity rings that also seems like a pretty stupid reason.

If you want to add more quests to the game then use a random number generator to pick an enemy and a number, kill [37] [beholders] or whatever and find someone to hi-five.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Holy poo poo that was tense. I just killed a drake at level 34. Two people are going to have some unusually knowledgeable pawns when I get them back.

The Moon Monster posted:

If you want to add more quests to the game then use a random number generator to pick an enemy and a number, kill [37] [beholders] or whatever and find someone to hi-five.
That's already in the game, since giant mob encounters count as quests, as do things like goblins keeping someone prisoner.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 31, 2012

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Could I get a clarification on something?

I want to start a new character on my 360's alternate storage device. What happens to my main pawn from my main save if I do this? Is it deleted, or does the game put out for hire the pawn that I last actually used? Or something else?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Does anyone know how to make lots of Discipline? I finally made the jump from Mystic Knight to Assassin (and it jumped straight into my heart :swoon:) but I really want to get to those crazy Augments and Skills like "become death incarnate when alone" and "the move you use to kill Ur-Dragon solo because GOD drat" and the such.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Oh Snapple! posted:

I want to start a new character on my 360's alternate storage device. What happens to my main pawn from my main save if I do this? Is it deleted, or does the game put out for hire the pawn that I last actually used? Or something else?

Your pawn will be fine (it's completely tied to your profile.) I think you'll end up with 2 pawns onlines but not completely sure on that.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Your pawn will be fine (it's completely tied to your profile.) I think you'll end up with 2 pawns onlines but not completely sure on that.

No, only the pawn you were using when you last rested at an inn will be available. People who rented your original pawn will keep them as-is until they turn them in, at which point your new pawn will get their presents, ratings, and knowlege. If the other person then re-rents the pawn while they are still standing in the void, you won't get anything back when they return them. If your pawn walks out of their rift, they can only summon up your new one. If they favorited your old pawn, your new one will appear in their favorites instead of the old one.

It's a bit wonky, but I hope I covered it all. Found all this out messing around with Coyote's pawns when he kept making new characters.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Oh Snapple! posted:

Yeah, as Funkmaster General said, you will only have one "online" (available to rent?) at a time for recruitment however, whichever pawn someone rented will stay identical to the moment they were first rented until the player releases them, and re-add your new pawn. This means you can totally have two different pawns and "push" them out online at will for people to rent (and then swap between them at whim), and even if you delete that character+pawn then they'll still be floating around helping a few random pubbies or friends for some time, possibly.

One fun thing about this factoid though, is that if you delete a character whose pawns are out actively helping people, when you make a new character (on that specific save device/slot) your new pawn will instantly gain a ton of knowledge and give you any gifts or RC which were being held in the queue for you to rent and collect them.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I just got a friend invite from someone who rented my pawn. Dragon's Dogma's invites are written in the same olde English as the game. :3:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ha! I hadn't used the in game friend system. Is it separate from Live and PSN systems like the favorites list?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Post-game question:

Where can I find a wyvern? People keep mentioning getting jumped by one on the way to Gran Soren from Cassardis just as the post-game starts, but I've walked that road back and forth like four times, both day and night, and haven't found one. Also did some exploring off in several directions in vain. Was this a scripted encounter that I screwed myself out of by using a ferrystone to reach Gran Soren when the post-game first started? Surely there's a static spawn for them? I have a quest to kill one (and would like to see at least one of everything in the post-game overworld before I take on the everfall).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Assassin looks pretty fantastic, I'm not going to lie. I maxed out the magic stuff but I want to do something new in NG+ and decided on that. Which weapons do you guys like using with it and why? Also, which class augments do you recommend using with it?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Jimbot, elemental damage from weapons seems to scale from your magic stat, so those + no mages that constantly cast elemental affinity would be the best way of taking advantage of your magic stat. Any combination of weapon types they can use is great, but my personal favorite is dagger + shield. Class augments, assassins have mostly lovely augments themselves and they benefit most from the excellent Warrior strength and reduced stamina cost of skills augments. The assassin's own +strength at night augment is obscenely good and the only in-class one I remember

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jimbot posted:

Assassin looks pretty fantastic, I'm not going to lie. I maxed out the magic stuff but I want to do something new in NG+ and decided on that. Which weapons do you guys like using with it and why? Also, which class augments do you recommend using with it?

Daggers and bow are great, but I think the assassin really shines with sword and bow. You get the bow's range combined with the sword's great melee damage to really take advantage of the assassin's high strength. The assassin's sword skills are also super versatile, with good crowd control and one-on-one options.

As for augments, you'll mostly want augments from other classes while playing since the assassin's focus mostly on playing alone and/or at night. The one assassin augment I'd recommend for your normal game is the one that doubles damage against unaware targets, but only if you're going to use a bow. Combined with lynchean sight it lets you kill most weak enemies from afar, which makes travelling a little bit faster since you can wipe out goblin camps by yourself in a half dozen shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, I was definitely going to give bow a shot, but I wasn't too certain on which melee weapon to try out. I'm most likely going to play as Strider and Warrior to get some augments to use with Assassin.

I plan on doing a lot of climbing and whatnot since on my Sorcerer I just stood in the back casting magic.

• Locked thread