Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

GutBomb posted:

Mine was 9:53 (my slowest was a 10:52 but i spun a couple times and rolled once on that lap) but I'm consistently slow. I think someone got a 9:18. I could really use some help to find out what I'm doing wrong. I'm mostly just winging it when I drive in this game, I've never really learned how to properly drive fast, when to downshift on a turn, what gear to downshift to, etc... but I'd love to get faster.

Yeah I did a 9:18... Basically if you're in 3rd or higher, brake in a straight line, ease off it and get slowly on the gas (VERY delicately) as you enter the turn, and it sort of drives like a normal car. Do anything different, and it tries to kill you.

Like when I bounced off the inner curb of the Karousel (or whatever. German is dumb.) and rolled it as the car slid up the banking. Then, as I was flipping back over, Boaz came in and tried to copy me. He failed though, only bounced off the passenger side door and landed back on all 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

Hey you guys like to troll? I've got some pretty sick trolling skills. Just don't expect me to read anything.

-Colon Cowboy

jonathan posted:

2 seconds later somebody says "loving Canadians"

That was me

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

silverbullitt850 posted:

Yeah I did a 9:18... Basically if you're in 3rd or higher, brake in a straight line, ease off it and get slowly on the gas (VERY delicately) as you enter the turn, and it sort of drives like a normal car. Do anything different, and it tries to kill you.

Like when I bounced off the inner curb of the Karousel (or whatever. German is dumb.) and rolled it as the car slid up the banking. Then, as I was flipping back over, Boaz came in and tried to copy me. He failed though, only bounced off the passenger side door and landed back on all 4.

I've been braking until halfway through the turn, then downshifting 1 gear (unless I'm already in 2nd) if it's not a severe angle or 2 gears (unless 2 gears would take me to first, then i only do 1) if it is a severe angle and getting back on the gas. Most of the time i stay in control, but very occasionally i lose the back and get spun around after hitting the grass. I knew I was doing it wrong, just didn't really know what to do right.

I don't drive fast in real life unless I'm on the freeway and there aren't a lot of turns there. And my car's an automatic. I also don't floor it in real life so my real life driving techniques don't really translate over to the game at all.

Racing with these techniques works fine against the AI even in professional difficulty, which deceptively makes me think that I'm doing it right, but then I get online and I'm so much slower than everyone else. It's not discouraging, I don't really mind coming in last all the time, I'm having fun, but still, it would be nice to know how to do it right.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 31, 2012

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

GutBomb posted:

I've been braking until halfway through the turn, then downshifting 1 gear (unless I'm already in 2nd) if it's not a severe angle or 2 gears (unless 2 gears would take me to first, then i only do 1) if it is a severe angle and getting back on the gas. Most of the time i stay in control, but very occasionally i lose the back and get spun around after hitting the grass. I knew I was doing it wrong, just didn't really know what to do right.

This is a good thing for anyone to know and sometimes I feel like throwing down a wall of text in case any newbies are reading. Do some research on real-world driving technique. Focus on racing line, brakes, and gas. In the real world there's a whole process of rev matching that needs to happen to drive a race car smoothly. Forza doesn't care about stress damage to anything so that goes out the window. Bottom line: Downshifting upsets the car, and that's bad.

Standard entry is to bleed all your speed and gears in a straight line. Once you're down to entry speed, nose in, aim for the apex, accelerate out. You shouldn't be coming off the power at all once you're accelerating out. If you messed up and need to drop a gear, do not shift in the middle of the turn if you can possibly help it. Time your downshift so that the little dump of power happens at the moment you return to acceleration. You might still upset the car and have trouble coming up to speed, but you won't fly off the track.

You can bleed some gears and speed during the turn-in (trail braking), if you've gotten good enough to know when and where the car can handle it (and it's easier in FWD). But practicing bleeding it all off before the turn teaches you the valuable racing skill of low entry speeds. This is both the most valuable and hardest to master skill in the book. You'll seem like a complete grandmother coming to a standstill before the turn-in, but you're back on the power half a mile earlier.

Sidenote regarding horsepower: With low-power cars you actually want to save a lot of braking and shifting for the turns because you're trying to conserve forward momentum above all. The more power you have, the less momentum tends to matter, because it's all a question of applying throttle as early as possible. Only once you've mastered getting on the throttle early can you match it back up to conserving momentum, and that's when you're four-wheel-drifting trying to set a qualifying time.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GutBomb posted:

I don't drive fast in real life unless I'm on the freeway and there aren't a lot of turns there. And my car's an automatic. I also don't floor it in real life so my real life driving techniques don't really translate over to the game at all.

Racing with these techniques works fine against the AI even in professional difficulty, which deceptively makes me think that I'm doing it right, but then I get online and I'm so much slower than everyone else. It's not discouraging, I don't really mind coming in last all the time, I'm having fun, but still, it would be nice to know how to do it right.

The line through a turn that allows you to get onto the throttle the earliest is the quickest way if the turn exits to a straight.

In a series of connected turns, the line that allows you to get onto the throttle on the last turn is the quickest, even if you have to take the non-ideal line through the earlier turns.

If you're not on the brakes hard, like maximum braking, and then immediately on the throttle, you're leaving time on the table. There is no situation where you should just be coasting except for a decreasing radius turn.

silverbullitt850
Mar 6, 2012

-Colon Cowboy
[quote="TannhauserGate" post="404168487"]
Downshifting upsets the car, and that's bad mmkay?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

TannhauserGate posted:

Sidenote regarding horsepower: With low-power cars you actually want to save a lot of braking and shifting for the turns because you're trying to conserve forward momentum above all. The more power you have, the less momentum tends to matter, because it's all a question of applying throttle as early as possible. Only once you've mastered getting on the throttle early can you match it back up to conserving momentum, and that's when you're four-wheel-drifting trying to set a qualifying time.

And the lower your HP, the less you want to be shifting. I stuck that Pinto in 3rd and kept it there, occasionally you'll have to drop to high 2nd and occasionally you get into 4th for long straights.

For the most part slower cars have slower gearboxes, and less powerband outside of one or two main gears - so changing gears a lot just reduces Time You Could Be Using The Throttle To Maintain Momentum.

And Momentum is the key to driving slow cars quickly.

Even when I'm on the brakes and downshifting, I'm almost always giving some throttle (10-15%) in lower class cars as well. A) It approximates revmatches, and B) Brakes in those cars are really just for dipping the front end so you can turn, a quick stab is usually all you need 100 yards before the turn just to get the front tires to hook up. Keeping your foot in it also keeps you from losing forward trajectory as well, and once you figure out the exact level before tire spin occurs, you can use the throttle to save a slightly iffy cornering angle of attack by simply Motorin' On Down the Road.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This is how you don't overtake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTtLXP1Nu0

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Oh my god that is hilarious.

TannhauserGate posted:

Bottom line: Downshifting upsets the car, and that's bad.

Standard entry is to bleed all your speed and gears in a straight line. Once you're down to entry speed, nose in, aim for the apex, accelerate out. You shouldn't be coming off the power at all once you're accelerating out.
I'm a scrub. I drive manual w/o clutch. (paddle shifters) What I do is what you say for standard entry, except I'm downshifting while I'm still braking since I have to move through gears sequentially and want to be in the right gear on the way out. Since I don't have a gearbox, I feel like I'm not really left with any alternative.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I find that heel-toe downshifting is the best way to keep the balance of the car comfortable when cornering and downshifting.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat

One of my favorite glitches is lag spikes glitching cars through other cars without ghosting them, here's one I posted way early in the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJui49hd4E

As an added bonus as you may have noticed we were racing with damage it....it wasn't a good race to be me.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

General Probe posted:

One of my favorite glitches is lag spikes glitching cars through other cars without ghosting them, here's one I posted way early in the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncJui49hd4E

As an added bonus as you may have noticed we were racing with damage it....it wasn't a good race to be me.
The sound is the most amazing part of the video. It sounds like a laser hit your car. :D

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

There is a chance the BMW 507 and VW Karman Ghia will be in next weeks car pack. The Toyota Celica ST185 GT4 is a confirmed car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

There is a chance the BMW 507 and VW Karman Ghia will be in next weeks car pack. The Toyota Celica ST185 GT4 is a confirmed car.

:hellyeah:

Ghia ain't a beetle but I ain't complaining, vintage VW is still vintage VW.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Sure would like a 4 door Rubicon and a notchback version of the fox mustang. Both would be rather easy to modify from existing vehicle mesh.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day

LiquidRain posted:

Oh my god that is hilarious.

I'm a scrub. I drive manual w/o clutch. (paddle shifters) What I do is what you say for standard entry, except I'm downshifting while I'm still braking since I have to move through gears sequentially and want to be in the right gear on the way out. Since I don't have a gearbox, I feel like I'm not really left with any alternative.

Actually that's perfect.
:thumbsup:

As you gain confidence you will find you can save just a bit of braking and shifting for the turn, but until you master entry speeds, this is what to do.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

jonathan posted:

Sure would like a 4 door Rubicon and a notchback version of the fox mustang. Both would be rather easy to modify from existing vehicle mesh.

And I'd like the 03 SRT-4 they had in F3. Let's just file that under "Cars We Drive IRL and Want Video Game Versions Of But Will Never Happen"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jonathan posted:

a notchback version of the fox mustang.

Just drive a crappy 80s econobox, it looks the same.

Mac Tonight
Mar 12, 2006

aw yeah tahts it man
I want and Ugly Cars pack for some reason. I want to be able to race Azteks against FJ Cruisers

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Mac Tonight posted:

I want and Ugly Cars pack for some reason. I want to be able to race Azteks against FJ Cruisers

Fiat Multipla and SsangYong Rodius would just be the end-all of this one.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I want all the bad guy cars from Cars 2. We've already got a Pacer, now let's have a Gremlin and Yugo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Falken posted:

I want all the bad guy cars from Cars 2. We've already got a Pacer, now let's have a Gremlin and Yugo.

I'd kill for a gremlin in this game, especially if I could upgrade it to R3

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

This is all I saw.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LiquidRain posted:

Do you have a fanatec CSR or CSR Elite wheel? If so you can get the latest firmware here which has a new autoclutch feature for the paddles so when you shift it simultaneously pushes the clutch in for slightly faster shifting when using the paddles. If you hold in the paddle it's like holding in the clutch. You'll switch from "manual" to "manual w/clutch" in the game settings and enable ACL in the in-wheel settings.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

captainOrbital posted:

This is all I saw.

These are the the confirmed cars so far apparently; http://www.forzamotorsport.fr/news/des-legendes-de-automobile-pour-le-meguiar-car-pack-96518.html

Also not pictured is a RUF Yellow bird.

I'll be very happy if the BMW 507 makes it in.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

LiquidRain posted:

I'm not even doing manual transmission yet... I'm only on hard mode. (I've only had the game for a couple days though, and I'm pretty new to non-Kart racers.) Easy and medium are a little too drat easy - the game practically plays itself.

I noticed on hard mode, you really gotta listen to the racing line for curves. If you don't break when it tells you to, you're going to go headfirst into a wall.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Oh my god, Sauber C9? Really Turn 10? Can I have your babies. :3:

Gammatron 64 posted:

I noticed on hard mode, you really gotta listen to the racing line for curves. If you don't break when it tells you to, you're going to go headfirst into a wall.
I'm afraid to say that is bullshit. The game will tell you to brake hard for a slight deviation on a straight, it's best to ignore it most of the time and go by your gut.

(Or, just drive around a circuit slowly and pick up speed. That's how it's done). You can't learn a circuit by welding your foot to the floor and just going for it.

e: I turned off the racing line 1 lap into a downhill run of Kaido in Forza Motorsport 1. :v:

Falken fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 1, 2012

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

^^^^^^ Depends on the track, honestly. For half the Nurburgring you can safely ignore the line, for Laguna Seca the line's pretty accurate save for the fast left-hander before the Rahal Straight.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm not even doing manual transmission yet... I'm only on hard mode. (I've only had the game for a couple days though, and I'm pretty new to non-Kart racers.) Easy and medium are a little too drat easy - the game practically plays itself.

The racing line is an excellent learning tool, but by no means the end-all-be-all. 99% of the time it will give you a safer or slower line than you can actually take. You'll (eventually) find cars that you like driving, learn those cars better, then start learning when you can treat the racing line as a mere suggestion, and then eventually not need it anymore. Learning how to drive manual (even w/o clutch) will improve your times more than weening yourself off the line at this point, but baby steps. :)

Most folks you'll be playing with here have been playing for years or are very acclimated to simulation racers. For what it's worth, I've been playing Forza since 3 came out about 2-2.5 years ago and I still play with the racing line on braking only most of the time. :) (though everyone's different)

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 1, 2012

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Falken posted:

Oh my god, Sauber C9? Really Turn 10? Can I have your babies. :3:

It's like they heard my plea's for more Group C cars (to be fair, lots of people were begging for these) and delivered in spectacular fashion.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm trying to figure out tuning front wheel drive cars and they're pretty fun to race when you get them balanced right. It's fun being able to precisely modulate your oversteer through sweeping turns just by letting up on the throttle a bit, and if you start to slide out of control you can point your car in the right direction and floor it and they'll instantly straighten out again. I don't totally understand how the limited slip differential works on them though, I'm pretty sure the description in Forza is wrong.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
IIRC the differentials in Forza are some weird type of differential that nobody actually uses.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The racing and braking lines are not very useful, they're not the fastest lines, they're not the lines anyone uses online, so all they do is train you to know the track wrong. And then you crash into people who are driving the track based on knowledge of the corners.

Like Falken said, half the time the line is flashing bright red on a 2 mile straight with a 5 degree kink. If they're that inaccurate on 'easy' calls, how likely are they going to be good on more sophisticated corners?

Just drive a slower car until you learn the circuit, problem solved.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowwan posted:

IIRC the differentials in Forza are some weird type of differential that nobody actually uses.

There's been explanation's in this thread, I just forgot where, about how it works. Basically the way I understand it is that it's not very realistic. A lot of what Forza 4 does is like a one size fits all thing for every car.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I said come in! posted:

There's been explanation's in this thread, I just forgot where, about how it works. Basically the way I understand it is that it's not very realistic. A lot of what Forza 4 does is like a one size fits all thing for every car.

I hadn't looked at the differentials before, but I noticed some of that from poking around in the game's database, like all of the cars seem to use the same generic suspension model, with a slight exception for cars with live axles. Maybe they'll improve some of that in the next Forza now that they have such a nice tire model. I want to experience the terror of high speed racing with a legit swing axle model.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Forza is still a simulation for sure, and there are some things it does really well, that are true to real life. While other things not so much. Basically the same deal as all racing sims out there.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I think Dan (or someone at T10) mentioned at one point that their secret sauce is getting a load of test data and specs from manufacturers on their cars, and then plugging it into a car physics modeler, and bam there's your Forza car. It is literally one-size-fits-all physics modeling on the cars. The looks of the cars are just that: looks.

I just want my open wheeled cars. :(

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
After dumping endless hours into Forza 2 and 3, moving out on my own and not having a 360 when the 4th was released, to finally getting one again, is it worthwhile to buy the game, drop a fortune on the DLC, or is there an ultimate edition on down the line like there was with the previous two?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LiquidRain posted:

I think Dan (or someone at T10) mentioned at one point that their secret sauce is getting a load of test data and specs from manufacturers on their cars, and then plugging it into a car physics modeler, and bam there's your Forza car. It is literally one-size-fits-all physics modeling on the cars. The looks of the cars are just that: looks.

I just want my open wheeled cars. :(

That's not true at all, as two cars with an identical PI rating will handle completely differently. Power, aero, weight, balance and torque curves all have a huge effect.

Yes they have a blender that they throw numbers into to generate averages, but I think that's used on performance upgrades more than the base cars.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

metallicaeg posted:

After dumping endless hours into Forza 2 and 3, moving out on my own and not having a 360 when the 4th was released, to finally getting one again, is it worthwhile to buy the game, drop a fortune on the DLC, or is there an ultimate edition on down the line like there was with the previous two?

No ultimate edition is expected so far. How much did you like the DLC in Forza 2 and 3? More importantly how big of a fan of cars are you? If you get a raging boner over car porn, then yeah, buy the season pass and everything else included on the market place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

metallicaeg posted:

It's totally worth it, because F4 owns, but there probably will be some kind of edition that includes most or all of the DLC somewhere down the road. That's just idle speculation, but they did the same thing with 3, so...

Honestly I haven't bothered with much of the DLC. I bought a couple of cars a la carte, then the Top Gear pack and the Porsche pack, but there's there's so much stuff included in the base game already that I don't really care.

• Locked thread