Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which is the "Mushkin Enhanced Chronos" that the OP recommends? Amazon shows this one and this deluxe one but neither of them are simply called Enhanced Chronos.

Same thing according to the part # of the first

The 'Deluxe' models are faster because they use toggle NAND

I've been running the non-deluxe 240GB drive for the last couple weeks and it hasn't blown up yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I have the non-deluxe Chronos 120GB and it's fantastic. Cheap as hell too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can get both the Mushkin Chronos 120 GB and Crucial M4 128 GB for around the same price, the Crucial M4 being about ~$10 more expensive. If I get a SSD which should I get? The OP keeps recommending the Mushkin but there's a small blurb about the Crucial being faster somewhere in there.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can get both the Mushkin Chronos 120 GB and Crucial M4 128 GB for around the same price, the Crucial M4 being about ~$10 more expensive. If I get a SSD which should I get? The OP keeps recommending the Mushkin but there's a small blurb about the Crucial being faster somewhere in there.

For that small a price difference, I'd get the M4 because it's known to be a very reliable drive, and it has the extra capacity. Any speed difference is largely irrelevant because of how much faster they are compared to an HDD.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I'm replacing my 128GB Crucial M4 with this 240GB Corsair Force Series 3 for $195...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233268

This is generally agreed to be a good deal, right?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I really apologise if this has been discussed in the thread before - I dug through the op and the last few pages, but the thread is rather large. Can anyone here offer any experience with the Sandisk Extreme line of SSDs? I read good reviews on their performance, but haven't been able to find anything on their reliability. Since the 240GB model is available for AU$248 on MSY (the only other 240GB on there being $349), I was looking at that. I'm a bit paranoid about reliability - a tech expert friend warned me off SSDs after he had 3 different ones each die seperately in very short order (only one of them was an OCZ). This of course conflicts with what the op lays out, and I'm having trouble knowing what to think. Any help would be really appreciated.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

zenintrude posted:

I'm replacing my 128GB Crucial M4 with this 240GB Corsair Force Series 3 for $195...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233268

This is generally agreed to be a good deal, right?
Corsair is a pretty good brand, and that's a fantastic price. I believe $0.81/GB is the lowest price I've seen for any SSD that wasn't OCZ.

BreakAtmo posted:

I really apologise if this has been discussed in the thread before - I dug through the op and the last few pages, but the thread is rather large. Can anyone here offer any experience with the Sandisk Extreme line of SSDs? I read good reviews on their performance, but haven't been able to find anything on their reliability. Since the 240GB model is available for AU$248 on MSY (the only other 240GB on there being $349), I was looking at that. I'm a bit paranoid about reliability - a tech expert friend warned me off SSDs after he had 3 different ones each die seperately in very short order (only one of them was an OCZ). This of course conflicts with what the op lays out, and I'm having trouble knowing what to think. Any help would be really appreciated.
I'm fairly certain a number of goons have said they've ordered them, and nobody has reported failures. Elsewhere, I haven't heard anything indicating particularly poor quality.

If you're particularly concerned with reliability, then I'd choose one from Intel, Samsung, or Crucial, in that order.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

People still put optical drives in their systems? :pwn:

MP3-cds for the car don't just appear, you know. Playing Blu-rays, too.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

People still put optical drives in their systems? :pwn:

Gotta rip those discs somehow.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

zenintrude posted:

Yup. When I built my latest machine, I went out of my way to find an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drive so I didn't have to leave my 360 HD-DVD drive hooked up to rip discs.
I found one used, an LG. Impossible to find them new, I think. Worth every penny to have a drive that can do everything I could need.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Kerbtree posted:

MP3-cds for the car don't just appear, you know. Playing Blu-rays, too.

zenintrude posted:

USB Blu-ray drives are fantastic.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
They look like poo stacked on top of an HTPC.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

They look like poo stacked on top of an HTPC.
Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. I never leave a Blu-ray drive plugged in because Blu-ray playback software is crap on the PC. I just rip 'em.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
The Crucial M4 256GB is back on sale for $199.99 at Newegg.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Mushkin price is crashing. It was $99 last week when I ordered it from Amazon and $90 now.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Funny thing, I just RMAed a Corsair Force Series 3 240GB that was DOA. This is my first ever RMA of any sort, so I just followed the directions, got an RMA number, mailed back the drive (at my expenses, WTF?), and just received from them a 16GB voyager flash drive.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I hope that's in addition to a new SSD?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

DrDork posted:

I hope that's in addition to a new SSD?

Nope :( someone done hosed up.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

LorneReams posted:

Funny thing, I just RMAed a Corsair Force Series 3 240GB that was DOA. This is my first ever RMA of any sort, so I just followed the directions, got an RMA number, mailed back the drive (at my expenses, WTF?), and just received from them a 16GB voyager flash drive.

That's why you buy from somewhere like Amazon so that you don't have to pay shipping back, and get a replacement shipped out immediately for free.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

rawrr posted:

That's why you buy from somewhere like Amazon so that you don't have to pay shipping back, and get a replacement shipped out immediately for free.

Except if it's like any other Corsair product, it says "WAIT, DON'T RETURN THIS TO THE STORE" in the box.

vv I'm not really saying it's wrong to return it to Amazon, only that I can see why most people would not think to, when they see that huge message in the box

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 1, 2012

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

HalloKitty posted:

Except if it's like any other Corsair product, it says "WAIT, DON'T RETURN THIS TO THE STORE" in the box.

Amazon gives zero fucks.

LorneRealms, you might want to register on one of the bigger nerdforums, like Anandtech or [H], and post your story. They're crawling with manufacturer reps, and manufacturer reps don't like bad publicity spread around the people who buy their high-margin products.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

Nope :( someone done hosed up.
On the plus side those are fantastic little drives and if I know Corsair they'll probably let you keep it.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Ok, so, I have one of the Crucial M4s in my system, just moved it to a native SATA 2? port as opposed to a Marvell port, and ran CDM on it. Got this.

Now, are these results normal, or should I be getting better? For whatever it's worth, here's some screenshots of my system info from CPU-Z.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kurui Reiten posted:

Ok, so, I have one of the Crucial M4s in my system, just moved it to a native SATA 2? port as opposed to a Marvell port, and ran CDM on it. Got this.

Now, are these results normal, or should I be getting better? For whatever it's worth, here's some screenshots of my system info from CPU-Z.
If you google image search "Crucial M4 SATA II crystaldiskmark" those are inline with the results.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Now that I have an SSD in my laptop, I can't even look my desktop in the eye anymore.

You guys are homewreckers.

Argyle fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 1, 2012

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I had to upgrade my desktop within a week of seeing what it did to my laptop.

In the good news, we've just seen significant price drops across the board. It's very easy to get a decent 120/128GB SSD for $99 now.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

rawrr posted:

Newegg will give you a free UPS label to ship back RMAs if you write to their support line and complain, but yeah, Amazon's service is so much better than Newegg's. I've spent a crapload of cash at Newegg over the past decade or so, but nowadays the only reason I buy anything from them is that they have better selections of some items (like motherboards), and will occasionally run decent sales that Amazon hasn't matched.

Kairos fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 1, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Civil posted:

I had to upgrade my desktop within a week of seeing what it did to my laptop.

In the good news, we've just seen significant price drops across the board. It's very easy to get a decent 120/128GB SSD for $99 now.

I may grab one for Father's Day at this point. I may even make my life easier and get him a 256 so I don't get any panicked phone calls. :3:

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Tunga posted:

On the plus side those are fantastic little drives and if I know Corsair they'll probably let you keep it.

Yeah but they're cheap as chips these days. And not overly fast as they used to be (compared to other drives out there). I bought one recently.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Argyle posted:

Now that I have an SSD in my laptop, I can't even look my desktop in the eye anymore.

You guys are homewreckers.

No kidding. Newegg offered me a 256GB Samsung 830 @ 85¢ per GB so I pounced on that post hast. Just finished migrating my OS X User account to the new SSD and HOLY BALL THIS IS FAST! :catdrugs: :circlefap:

My WD Scorpio Black was topping out ~80MB/s rw while this thing is literally saturating the SATA II bus. I know they slow down from their virgin state but still, drat.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

512GB Crucial M4 for $396

http://slickdeals.net/f/4683362-512GB-Crucial-M4-2-5-SATA-III-MLC-Solid-State-Drive-SSD-CT512M4SSD2-396-Free-shipping

:neckbeard:

Nice to see the big drives getting cheaper.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Wow, with sizes like that at those prices, it really diminishes the need to carry around a USB HDD (or a HDD in the optical drive bay) along with a laptop that has a SSD in it.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Oh poo poo.

So, uh, any recommendations for a 2.5->3.5 internal bay adapter?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fookolt posted:

Oh poo poo.

Double-sided tape.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

They cost 53% MORE in the UK taking currency into account.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
So has anyone used one of these Seagate Pulsar drives yet? I have an enterprise application with a lot of random disk access that would benefit from SSDs and I was wondering if they really are as reliable as they say they are. I've had pretty poor results from Seagate hard drives in the past.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

fookolt posted:

You really don't need one, it weighs 80 grams.

Mine is held in place by the stiffness of the cables. :v:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So is Crucial making an absolutely insane profit on their drives to offer theirs for so cheaply or is there a newer model about to release?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm going to buy a ~240GB SSD to replace my 120GB one. Uninstalling games before installing new ones is becoming a pain. Which one should I buy? This Corsair for $250?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Dominoes posted:

I'm going to buy a ~240GB SSD to replace my 120GB one. Uninstalling games before installing new ones is becoming a pain. Which one should I buy? This Corsair for $250?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148443
The 256GB M4 might be a tad slower, but it would be imperceptible. It's $199.

• Locked thread