Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
I was thinking about the endgame and the Dragon kidnapping the person who you have the highest affinity with, and that person becoming your love interest. Specifically, I don't think it works well in this game.

The player character is meant to directly represent the player in the game. They never speak, and prior to that point, don't have much indication of independent thought. The PC's expression tends to be blank, and where there is action on their part, it's clearly aligned with what the player would do in that situation. Dragon attacks the beach? gently caress it, grab the nearest sword and stab that thing.

But when your love interest gets kidnapped, that goes out the window. For me, the Dragon kidnapped the Duchess. Perhaps it's different for some people, but I had read the PC's reaction to Aelinore's advances as more of a "what the gently caress is going on here?" Then the Dragon kidnaps her and suddenly she's incredibly important to my PC and then they go make out by the fire and poo poo. I should note that I didn't do the Duchess in Distress quest.

On the other hand, I thought the postgame was great. I honestly hesitated when the Seneschal gave me the choice of turning back or pressing forward, because I had no idea why I would want to kill the Seneschal in the first place. I mainly kept going out of a feeling of "Well I've come this far, I should finish things." Upon becoming the new Seneschal, I now find myself bored with being an invisible dick to people. This in particular I think is a really good example of player/PC integration. You use the Godsbane because there's nothing else to do, and it makes sense for both the player and the PC to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How do I get to the quarry? Is there an underground path or similar in devilfire grove?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
So I picked up a quest worth 500g from the starting town today, someone was calling me out to the Frontier Caverns so I went to investigate.
It was only a bloody Archhydra that was waiting for me, Snake-face sent my pawns flying everytime it turned around, to be fair though, it wasn't that hard a fight as I spent much of the fight slicing off heads while my pawns were hacking at it from down below.
Got a crap Golden Rapier as a reward though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well, killed my first Drake last night. My Violet Neck Wrap became dragon-forged, but nothing else. Is that normal?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

DrNutt posted:

Well, killed my first Drake last night. My Violet Neck Wrap became dragon-forged, but nothing else. Is that normal?

Yeah. Minor dragons like the Drake have a chance of dragon forging some of your equipment when defeated.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

DrNutt posted:

As far as I can tell, it picks an item you're wearing at random to forge.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
So I'm playing through the game again and I just realised something :aaa:

Ending/Duke/Arousing Suspicions spoilers: When the duke starts choking Aelinore, his new wife, he's shouting stuff like "LENORE, I'M SORRY! I TAKE IT BACK! LENORE MY LOVE I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY!" and I didn't realise what was going on the first time since Lenore and Aelinore are pretty close names and I thought he was just using her name. But it's actually a reference to the fact that the duke took the dragon's bargain and had his loved one die so he could be duke and now he's a bit batty and choking his new wife, Aelinore, because he regrets letting the dragon kill his old love, Lenore.

I thought it was pretty cool :)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Scott Bakula posted:

How do I get to the quarry? Is there an underground path or similar in devilfire grove?

From Devilfire Grove, it's eastward; from the rest camp, it's north east along the mountains--surprisingly not far. It's a very unassuming entrance. Mostly Suarians or hobgoblins that way, depending on the time of day.

Similarly, it's northwest of Gran Soren and south-southeast (across the river) from the abbey to find the entrance you're "supposed" to use, if you know those places. If you find yourself fighting a chimera, you're too far north.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Policenaut posted:

Yeah. Minor dragons like the Drake have a chance of dragon forging some of your equipment when defeated.

Yeah, I guess I was just a little disappointed in what came out dragon forged. I guess I'd better start killing more dragons! (Boy what a pain in the rear end that was).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd never followed that path near gran soren before :downs:

Buttermonster
Jul 11, 2003

With this in mind, how feasible would it be to switch from a warrior at level 81 to assassin? Is the difference in stamina going to be a big problem?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Tufty posted:

So I'm playing through the game again and I just realised something :aaa:

Ending/Duke/Arousing Suspicions spoilers: When the duke starts choking Aelinore, his new wife, he's shouting stuff like "LENORE, I'M SORRY! I TAKE IT BACK! LENORE MY LOVE I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY!" and I didn't realise what was going on the first time since Lenore and Aelinore are pretty close names and I thought he was just using her name. But it's actually a reference to the fact that the duke took the dragon's bargain and had his loved one die so he could be duke and now he's a bit batty and choking his new wife, Aelinore, because he regrets letting the dragon kill his old love, Lenore.

I thought it was pretty cool :)
Should also point out that when you kill Drake/similar guys, they say (post-game spoilers coming up) "The seat of God lies beyond."
Also, when you first enter Gran Soren, your pawn(s) occasionally say things like The Duke beat the dragon and got all the glory. Thing is, nobody really knows how the hell he managed to do it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Scott Bakula posted:

How viable is not having a fighter pawn? Tempted to go Magick Archer/Warrior/Ranger/Mage
Just fine. Last night a friend of mine started the game for the first time, and put together a party of four rogue class characters. He was fine after he got past level 8 or 9 and learned to use his own abilities.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are one-handed swords a rare drop for the Ur-Dragon or something? He never seems to want to drop them and always drops the two-handed warhammer.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Why let people look at their equipment from the consumables menu then? I still try to equip poo poo from there on a regular basis and it's just like "oh wait, can't do that click click click click click click, ok now I can equip"

well the equipment screen is really a dress up preview window, so obviously it needs to be separate from the consumables menu

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Two handed hammer? Peeeeeerfect. Can't wait to get my hands on it with my Warrior.

Speaking of fighters and warriors, which do people prefer in their pawns? I've set mine up to tank, with Nexus and Challenger, and I'm worried that she's just not exciting enough for people to hire. She's basically unkillable, with Iron Will, Perfect Defense and the augments to improve her blocks, defense and damage, but she never gets hired. Hell, last guy to hire her apparently fired her immediately because I got almost no RC.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've cleared the quarry, where does the merchant end up?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lotish posted:

Two handed hammer? Peeeeeerfect. Can't wait to get my hands on it with my Warrior.

Speaking of fighters and warriors, which do people prefer in their pawns? I've set mine up to tank, with Nexus and Challenger, and I'm worried that she's just not exciting enough for people to hire. She's basically unkillable, with Iron Will, Perfect Defense and the augments to improve her blocks, defense and damage, but she never gets hired. Hell, last guy to hire her apparently fired her immediately because I got almost no RC.
I assume that people who do that, don't understand how to use the shoulder buttons inside the Rift, to see what stats and personality etc, your pawn is. Or maybe they like throwing them off cliffs.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man I'm on the fence about new game +. Might just erase my data and start over to try the other classes. I thought it would be like Dark Souls and raise the monsters to be equal to you but everything is normal damage and I steamroll it. Half th fun is taking down stuff that's hard to kill. :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Azraden posted:

If you're a reviewer, they do.

The flaws do matter, but they don't have to affect the score unless they actually impact how much you enjoyed the game. A review that doesn't talk about a game's flaws/annoyances/bugs/glitches is irresponsible, but it doesn't have to arbitrarily subtract points from the score for them if they didn't actually have a big, negative effect on the experience. Skyrim didn't get nearly universal perfect scores because it is a technically perfect game, for example.

Like NESguerilla said, part of the problem is that it's dumb to try and attach some sort of scale or number when judging games because every game is so different that the experience of playing it is ridiculously subjective. It's not a television or a video card or a toaster, you can't just say "Well it did this, this, this, and this, 8/10" and have that actually mean anything. That's why a site like Giantbomb is such a nice approach to game reviews. Their philosophy has been to put themselves out there so much that when you read a review from one of them, you understand where they're coming from, what their taste in games is like, etc.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

I've cleared the quarry, where does the merchant end up?

You know that little room halfway in where all those bandits were? He's in there.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

coyo7e posted:

Just fine. Last night a friend of mine started the game for the first time, and put together a party of four rogue class characters. He was fine after he got past level 8 or 9 and learned to use his own abilities.

Speaking of friends, sorry I haven't taken your party invites. You send them right as I'm wrapping up. I'll be doing serious playing this weekend.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Policenaut posted:

You know that little room halfway in where all those bandits were? He's in there.

The Quarry is a great place to farm money for the weapons he sells (hell, he leaves huge bags of gold and a free weapon in the room behind him for you to steal) and there's a bog near where the east most ogre lived that is a guaranteed drop point for Sour Ambrosial Meat if you need it for the quest.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At what level does this start to get easy? At lvl 17 right now and im beasting as a fighter w three mages but large groups tear me up. Should i switch out one mage?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I found that a good mix is something like 1 fighter or warrior, 1 strider or ranger, and one mage with one sorceror. The mage will keep you alive while the sorceror ruins the crowds, and the bow-character will handle pretty much anything that's out of reach like flyers and scalable weak points, and the fighter/warrior can handle anything that tries to interfere with the others doing their jobs.

It's not what I use personally, but when I did do it I found it a very effective set-up. YMMV.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lotish posted:

I found that a good mix is something like 1 fighter or warrior, 1 strider or ranger, and one mage with one sorceror. The mage will keep you alive while the sorceror ruins the crowds, and the bow-character will handle pretty much anything that's out of reach like flyers and scalable weak points, and the fighter/warrior can handle anything that tries to interfere with the others doing their jobs.

It's not what I use personally, but when I did do it I found it a very effective set-up. YMMV.

That's pretty much how I roll. Character is a Warrior/Assassin, Pawn is a Sorc, usually hire a Mage and a Strider/Ranger and it's a pretty effective team

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lotish posted:

The Quarry is a great place to farm money for the weapons he sells (hell, he leaves huge bags of gold and a free weapon in the room behind him for you to steal) and there's a bog near where the east most ogre lived that is a guaranteed drop point for Sour Ambrosial Meat if you need it for the quest.

I've already got far better stuff than he sells and 550k gold since I've not spent any in ages. I could really use some newer stuff since I think I'm massively over levelled for where I am at level 38.

Is backfire/immolation or whatever its called worth it as a magick archer? It certainly seems fun setting myself on fire but seeing that it hurts me has me unsure. Edit: yes, yes it is

For the Wyrmking's ring quest I've got to go to bluemoon tower now. Is the ring good and should I forge it and hand a forgery in to keep it?

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 1, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Wow, uh, Ur-Dragon sure becomes tedious as hell to fight on later generations. He's on 47 on PS3 and it takes hours for him to go down now it seems. Last night on 46 he was at like 6 dots, so I took a 2 hour break and came back to find him on 3 dots. It's getting to the point where it's not even worth the effort to actually whittle him down. I walk in, see he's on some high dot number, then immediately reload checkpoint and do quests for an hour and come back now.

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
That's why he isn't dying as fast really. Everyone keeps seeing he's too strong and ignores him entirely. You know you Do get some reward even if you don't get the final kill, right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What are some of the other ways (if there are any) besides whoring out your pawn to get rift crystals?

Notinghamington
Oct 24, 2008

You're Lonely Rolling Gem
Buy them from the xbox market place/psn store, pick up rift fragments from enemies.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

jimcunningham posted:

At what level does this start to get easy? At lvl 17 right now and im beasting as a fighter w three mages but large groups tear me up. Should i switch out one mage?
Switch him out for a sorceror, mages don't do a ton of damage compared to sorcs. Once I reached low-mid 20s, it got easier for me personally.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

What are some of the other ways (if there are any) besides whoring out your pawn to get rift crystals?

Random drops is the only other way I know. Every four or five crowds of goblins, saurians or zombies seems to drop one ball worth 100 RC. Beyond that, questing gives very modest RC rewards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lotish posted:

Random drops is the only other way I know. Every four or five crowds of goblins, saurians or zombies seems to drop one ball worth 100 RC. Beyond that, questing gives very modest RC rewards.

Okay, thanks. I saw that to recruit some pawn, I had to have a million or so, so I was curious if I'm really only supposed to have 1000 right now or if I was missing something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Shardok posted:

That's why he isn't dying as fast really. Everyone keeps seeing he's too strong and ignores him entirely. You know you Do get some reward even if you don't get the final kill, right?

Yeah, I do know you get rewards. Just not any EXP. I have the complete Ur-Dragon armor/weapon sets and all I'm really visiting him for is to get EXP from the actual kill, which breaks 300k if you use Veteran's Periapt. It's incredibly discouraging to hang on him, whale away for like 10 minutes, and see you basically did maybe half the distance between two of the health dots on the UI in damage. I imagine it'll get better when I get Dire Gouge and the solo augment for my Assassin though.

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
Welp, I feel like I've been cheated. Maker's Fingers don't instant kill the Ur-Dragon. Though it did take out a whole health bar.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Policenaut posted:

Yeah, I do know you get rewards. Just not any EXP. I have the complete Ur-Dragon armor/weapon sets and all I'm really visiting him for is to get EXP from the actual kill, which breaks 300k if you use Veteran's Periapt. It's incredibly discouraging to hang on him, whale away for like 10 minutes, and see you basically did maybe half the distance between two of the health dots on the UI in damage. I imagine it'll get better when I get Dire Gouge and the solo augment for my Assassin though.

I think it's just that the initial wave of high-level players are in the same exact boat as you are. Most of them probably either got their items, or have never come close and have decided to give up. People did the same exact thing you did and figured out approximately when to come in to kill it, so now everyone's just sitting around waiting for everyone else to actually do the leg work so they can come in and snipe the thing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Shardok posted:

Welp, I feel like I've been cheated. Maker's Fingers don't instant kill the Ur-Dragon. Though it did take out a whole health bar.

Is there an equivalent to a Maker's Finger for non bow users?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've been given windbluff tower key. Where is it/whats it for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

VDay posted:

I think it's just that the initial wave of high-level players are in the same exact boat as you are. Most of them probably either got their items, or have never come close and have decided to give up. People did the same exact thing you did and figured out approximately when to come in to kill it, so now everyone's just sitting around waiting for everyone else to actually do the leg work so they can come in and snipe the thing.

I've heard that the Ur-Dragon does grow in strength though. I think each subsequent generation has more health, and how much more so is possibly based on how quickly it was killed last time. If one generation takes substantially longer to kill than the previous then it decreases in power. I've heard that it's become a bit hosed up because people are using solo Assassins with gouge and everything else so that they're perfectly designed to kill the Ur-Dragon as fast as possible and so it's jumped up in power like crazy. Apparently every other generation now has tons of health, and because the 'odd' generations have SO much and take SO long to kill, all the 'even' Ur-Dragons are pretty easy and go down quickly.

Tufty fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 1, 2012

• Locked thread