Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Alchenar posted:

It would be entirely Xykon's style to show up and snuff him out without even realising it.

e: I mean, lets step back and look at what Tarquin is doing right now. He has literally only just heard about these gates and the awesome power that they contain and has decided on the spur of the moment to make a play for that power (nb: the exact opposite of the strategy he's been using to keep himself in charge/not dead). In doing so, he's put himself in direct competition with Xykon and Redcloak without even knowing it. And they're going to be teleporting in any minute.

But he does know it. That was the hook that Nale used to keep himself alive, was that he (Nale) was the only one who could talk to Xykon about getting the ritual of control. How much Tarquin knows about Xykon (and to a lesser degree Redcloak) remains unknown, though on one hand I can't imagine that he won't pump Nale for as much information as he has, but on the other hand, I don't know how much hard data Nale has on Xykon, or how honest he was about what he does know.

My guess, though, is that once Big X and Reddy show up, Tarquin's going to make his "join up and manipulate from within" play. That's been his default scheme for decades, and, as has been pointed out, is the one he's running on Nale as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I decided to poke through the coloring book when I got my Kickstarter swag in the mail.

The joke of V's gender continues :v:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Speaking of the Kickstarter, it's just been updated. Looks like the books are shipping!

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Looks like Rich will only be updating once between now and Thursday, then he's off for about a week dealing with all the autographed copies of the books. Also he's pretty close to done with the Shticks game, apparently.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

LightWarden posted:

I fully expect these two to be close allies for life. It's something Rich has discussed before. Part of Nale's characterization is that he and Tarqin don't get alone, and now we know that Tarqin is far more impressed with Elan.

Oh, great catch. I read all those articles years ago when he was still under strip 100, I must go back and reread them. It's neat how much of the characterisation in OOTS they hint at.

Tevruden
Aug 12, 2004

Foiled again!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

FT posted:

Foiled again!

This is literally the best and I can't wait to see the rage from neo-con gamers.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

HKR posted:

This is literally the best and I can't wait to see the rage from neo-con gamers.

I think you mean "social conservative gamers", and given the whole "D&D is the gateway to Satan worship", I don't think there are many of those.

Though those there are probably have horrifying opinions about half-orcs.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Eschers Basement posted:

I think you mean "social conservative gamers", and given the whole "D&D is the gateway to Satan worship", I don't think there are many of those.

Ahahahahahaha.

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/f63/

:smith:

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Anne McCaffrey died?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Maldraedior posted:

Anne McCaffrey died?

Sad, but true. Last November as I recall. Congratulations, you found the only piece of useful data on that whole board!

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eschers Basement posted:

I don't think there are many of those.

We really, really need a laughing-breaking-down-into-sobbing emoticon. There are actually plenty of these people in the hobby :smith: Go check out grognards.txt, it's basically a mock thread for these people half the time.

Eschers Basement posted:

Yeah, this is actually a thing too. Like I said, go check out grog.txt if you really want to ruin your day, i mean

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
At least the board provides what has to be one of the most convincing arguments for the abolition of racial ability scores and penalties that I have ever read.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LightWarden posted:

At least the board provides what has to be one of the most convincing arguments for the abolition of racial ability scores and penalties that I have ever read.

I regret reading the OP.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

LightWarden posted:

What the gently caress?

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
"Racial ability score penalties are an accurate represent of the world."
-A literal White Supremacist.

If that doesn't make you want to jettison the mechanics, what will?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

That reminds me of some post I read on here about a dude saying his friend in middle school used Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition as the focal point of his arguments that women were inherently weaker, because they got -1 STR and +1 DEX or something.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

LightWarden posted:

"Racial ability score penalties are an accurate represent of the world."
-A literal White Supremacist.

If that doesn't make you want to jettison the mechanics, what will?

Um, sure, if the world had elves and dwarves. But it might actually be fun to play a politically incorrect game set on regular earth where various countries etc give different bonuses. Some examples could be that playing as an American gives you the Supersized Girth trait where you have to add between 50-200% extra weight to your character, Nigerians get +2 bluff when using e-mail, Scandinavians get -2 on all social interactions, and so on. Granted it's a stupid idea based on stereo types but as long as you don't take it seriously it might work. I'm sure it already exists.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Poil posted:

Scandinavians get -2 on all social interactions

What stereotype is this? :crossarms:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

QuasiQuack posted:

What stereotype is this? :crossarms:

We're frigid and hard to make friends with. But isn't that only Swedes?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Affi posted:

We're frigid and hard to make friends with. But isn't that only Swedes?

Finns are not officially Scandinavians, but the term is commonly used as synonymous to Nordic (Iceland, Denmark, Finland, sometimes Estonia) and it certainly fits to the Fenno-Ugric character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3DAVJ_NtYo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUQ1_N5N2dg

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 1, 2012

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

That would be super uncomfortable for me just because even if you are doing it as a joke, someone probably is not. And reinforcing stereotypes is a bad thing in my mind

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Perpetuating racist or bigoted stereotypes ironically is worse than doing it out of pure ignorance, because you should bloody well loving know better.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah that's true. I'm Swedish and while I wouldn't mind the -2 social modifier stereo type joke it'd be hard to draw the line so you don't go too far. For example a +2 bonus to Perform: Rap might be acceptable but a +2 to picking cotton certainly isn't. It's probably best not go any further with this. I apologize if anyone was offended.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Poil posted:

Yeah that's true. I'm Swedish and while I wouldn't mind the -2 social modifier stereo type joke it'd be hard to draw the line so you don't go too far. For example a +2 bonus to Perform: Rap might be acceptable but a +2 to picking cotton certainly isn't. It's probably best not go any further with this. I apologize if anyone was offended.
+2 to any Perform in general, because holy poo poo, Negro Spirituals and Jazz.

But yeah. Racial bonuses are tricky business.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 2, 2012

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vorgen posted:

That reminds me of some post I read on here about a dude saying his friend in middle school used Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition as the focal point of his arguments that women were inherently weaker, because they got -1 STR and +1 DEX or something.

In Advanced D&D's 1st edition, I believe human women didn't get a bonus or a penalty, just a maximum strength of 18/50. (Which is worse than a bonus/penalty, because there's no counter-effect on some other stat.)

Cabbit posted:

Perpetuating racist or bigoted stereotypes ironically is worse than doing it out of pure ignorance, because you should bloody well loving know better.

How about if they're stereotypes that nobody takes seriously any more? (I love my Polack jokes.)

(Disclaimer: I am a Polack-American.)

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 2, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

prefect posted:

In Advanced D&D's 1st edition, I believe human women didn't get a bonus or a penalty, just a maximum strength of 18/50. (Which is worse than a bonus/penalty, because there's no counter-effect on some other stat.)

How about if they're stereotypes that nobody takes seriously any more? (I love my Polack jokes.)

(Disclaimer: I am a Polack-American.)

Not really, because regurgitating them over and over keeps them alive and waiting for somebody to start taking them seriously again.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Cabbit posted:

But this is ironic racism! It's the same as regular racism, except that we're not allowed to get upset about it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cabbit posted:

Not really, because regurgitating them over and over keeps them alive and waiting for somebody to start taking them seriously again.

What are you, trying to make Conan O'Brien unemployed?

And without casual racism, how would we recognize racists?

I'm sorry, Cabbit, I know you mean well but your strategy doesn't quite work. :colbert:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

quote:

racism talk, weeeee
OH GOD I HOPE RICH IS OK

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

OH GOD I HOPE RICH IS OK

As a WASP he's got a +2 bonus to fortitude saving throws.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nenonen posted:

Unfortunately he's also been cursed.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nenonen posted:

loving wasps, being able to sting over and over again like that's fair at all. At least bees have the good sense to die after stinging you.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

This thread really doesn't need to be an outlet for racism, even ironic racism. Just stick to discussing the comic, no one really cares what horrible people like those at Stormfront care or think about.

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 2, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, just got news my book shipped. Anyone else in the States have any experience with how long after confirmation their stuff arrived?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Took four days from confirmation to arrival for me (Wednesday to today), but the email for some reason says it shipped yesterday, so could be faster?

On the subject of the actual stuff, the coloring book has one page that is just crazy dark with context from the comic, and it's wonderful. I'm totally photocopying the whole thing and busting out the crayons for a fun afternoon someday soon. Also got Start of Darkness, which was a good read.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RandallODim posted:

Took four days from confirmation to arrival for me (Wednesday to today), but the email for some reason says it shipped yesterday, so could be faster?

On the subject of the actual stuff, the coloring book has one page that is just crazy dark with context from the comic, and it's wonderful. I'm totally photocopying the whole thing and busting out the crayons for a fun afternoon someday soon. Also got Start of Darkness, which was a good read.
Sounds like you got the exact same bundle I did. That's exciting, because it likely means mine is almost here, too, if they sent around the same time.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

NihilCredo posted:

OH GOD I HOPE RICH IS OK

I worry about him. I hope he didn't work on the kick starter good and get sick.

Can everyone shut the hell up about racism and racists? I don't have enough time to track down every idiot in America.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I am in New Zealand and bought the full slate of books - nothing yet, but I'm being calm like a motherfucker.

I'll give it... three weeks.

Then my calmness will commence to getting frayed.

Until then.

Calm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
I found my copy of $25 pledge in the mailbox yesterday... twice. Not sure what happened, but I got everything double: the coloring book, the notepads, the fridge magnets, everything.

Not sure what went wrong, but I feel kinda bad now. :smith: