Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Shindragon posted:

You crazy bastard. Also well done on the style of the magazines. GOD brady guides were such a lovely rear end guide. Hell I still have my FF8 PC Guide one. Ya know, the thick little book. Probably the worst offender was DQ8. Holy hell it was a bad guide. I know bonus stuff is bonus stuff, but at least cover the goddamn bonus dungeons instead of saying HARD ENEMIES, be HIGH level.

gently caress you Brady Guide.

Oh god the DQ8 guide. It was nothing except maps. No directions, no boss listings, just maps of each area in order.

Terrible terrible guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm very, very happy that you guys enjoyed the last update. It was my personal favorite too, although by the end of it I was like "holy crap I'm tired I hope it's worth it".

Thanks everyone.

By the way, I was not joking about the Let's Letter. Send (e-)mails (PMs) to me and the best questions will be answered in the next edition!

(Also for those who were not following the stickied thread at games, I got hired by Badlands Studio after their successful Kickstarter campaign. Huzzah!)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Elentor posted:

(Also for those who were not following the stickied thread at games, I got hired by Badlands Studio after their successful Kickstarter campaign. Huzzah!)

Congratulations! What are they working on?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The Prima guide for Lunar is probably the most unique of guides I ever saw. It has no color.

The guide for Disgaea 2 is something else entirely. I should get it just because it is bigger than a dictionary.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Nobody's mentioned the FFIX guide yet? I thought that was the king of lousy guides.

"Punch in this code on our website to access a shittier version of this guide you paid $15 for! Have you discovered Game FAQS yet?"

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I was not immersed by that parody, practically every piece of information was factual and accurate.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Brainamp posted:

Congratulations! What are they working on?

Did a quick search on Kickstarter, this was the only thing I found of Badland Studio. Looks like Elentor is working on one of them fancy-pants space games.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Yep, that's the one. Quite looking forward to it. Especially after seeing the strategy guide edition of the LP.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Best idea: Do those strategy guide bits for every major dungeon from here on.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Worst idea. :colbert:

Not all the dungeons were as bad as the Ancient One. Besides, you trying to stall the updates?

I see what you are planning, you punk.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

pandaK posted:

I was not immersed by that parody, practically every piece of information was factual and accurate.

You obviously grew up on Brady, and not Versus. :smug:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Shindragon posted:

Worst idea. :colbert:

Not all the dungeons were as bad as the Ancient One. Besides, you trying to stall the updates?

I see what you are planning, you punk.

Nope, just trying to make scant few updates in the future even more awesome; it's not like FFVII has that many dungeons, really.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azure_Horizon posted:

Best idea: Do those strategy guide bits for every major dungeon from here on.

Oh God no.

At least not anytime soon.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Congratulations on your new job, Elentor! :) That game looks pretty interesting, methinks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Namagem posted:

You obviously grew up on Brady, and not Versus. :smug:

The Versus guides were the best. Sadly, I discovered them too late to get their FF7 guide. I was stuck with the Brady one. It was serviceable, I guess, but still.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

The Versus guides were the best. Sadly, I discovered them too late to get their FF7 guide. I was stuck with the Brady one. It was serviceable, I guess, but still.

The biggest problem with the Brady Guide for FF& isn't even the gameplay information. It's more the fact that there are three points in the game where someone decided to cover literally half a page at least each time with FMV screen shots involving three of the biggest twists of the game.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Ahahahahahahahahaha I don't know if this is enough preparing but if I don't progress my entrails will rebel :shepface:

How have you not killed yourself yet?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Ahahahahahahahahaha I don't know if this is enough preparing but if I don't progress my entrails will rebel :shepface:

Please tell me you had some secret glitch for farming all that cash.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Valiantman posted:

Please tell me you had some secret glitch for farming all that cash.

Steal items, run away, sell items. Repeat.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CmdtCarpenter posted:

How have you not killed yourself yet?

I'm caught up on every negative internet reviewer ever, that's how.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

I'm caught up on every negative internet reviewer ever, that's how.

Truly, a fate worse than death.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That was a really neat set of updates- is the play with Tifa identical as with Aeris, or just not worth showing?

I find it funny all the talk about the guides. Yes, they're a cash-in, and have quite errr eclectic styles, but what really surprises me is that so many people seemed to have actually bought them! I picked up three very comprehensive mini-books with complete guides to pretty much everything* in all of FF7 - even beating the super-nasties - and they were all free with magazines that I bought anyway. The thought of paying £10+ for one seems insane to me! Even moreso when you get into the "playonline" era.

*everything a normal person might want to play the game fully, I mean. I'm not enough of a :spergin: to care about the lists and tables of all the enemies and items.

Saucy!
Apr 27, 2012

spangin' for kratom
I remember having a loving awesome guide for Ocarina of Time that was full of great supplementary artwork and flavor text; it sort of read like a novelization of the game. Good times. I think it was the official Nintendo walkthrough, but I lost it like a decade ago so I'm not 100% on that.

Even with that I still got stuck in the water temple. :argh:

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

I know I am just adding to what has already been said, but the fake-magazine was truly a work of art. Also, finally learning about all these tricks and glitches along with all the nostalgia has made this an incredible LP.

Thanks for all your hard work Elentor!

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011

Saucy! posted:

I remember having a loving awesome guide for Ocarina of Time that was full of great supplementary artwork and flavor text; it sort of read like a novelization of the game. Good times. I think it was the official Nintendo walkthrough, but I lost it like a decade ago so I'm not 100% on that.

Even with that I still got stuck in the water temple. :argh:

Yeah, the official Nintendo guides were amazing. Earthbound's strategy guide not only came *with the game* in a huge awesome box, but it was done up as if it was a travel guide.

"Come see Sunny Summers! Eat at this wonderful restaurant! Remember to tuck in your shirt, because this is really high class! Here is a menu listing of all the wonderful foods you can eat!"

It was amazing.

I also remember having the Secret of Mana and Secret of Evermore strategy guides, which were written as mini novelizations.

"And then, the boy moved through the grasses with his newly found sword. There before him were monsters! Why were they so close to the village!? The boy knew he had to press on..."

All of the information was fun and good too, from tables with the prices of items to boss stats. I don't think I'll trust Nintendo strategy guides much anymore, but they were definitely some of the best.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Silver Falcon posted:

The Hades summon is very handy in a lot of situations. On its own, it inflicts a variety of statuses, including on that one other optional boss. I could never beat him without it. Or you can stick it + Added Effect in your weapon and status everything to hell and back. (Or stick it on your armor, if that's your thing. I guess it'd be like having a second Ribbon!)

I think you mean a third one. :smug:

The Cait Sith scene looks so sloppily written. That definitely could have used some more actual tension instead of the party acting like he was some genuine pal.

I definitely felt like I was reading some brand of guide. Fun times. I remember an Earthworm Jim 2 guide that began with a narration written from Jim's perspective about what he did between the games. It was very amusing, and apparently 3D glasses could be used for one of the versions of the game. Crazy stuff there.

There was also a Nintendo Power guide I had of Majora's Mask, that had a bunch of interesting eater eggs and bonus events some other guides didn't list (like how you could use the Mask of Scent on Gorman's boxers to get the mushrooms :gonk:). It was a nice touch.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The Cait Sith thing really pissed me off the first time I played the game. Personally, I think it's because it emphasized the railroaded nature of the plot. I wonder why Sephiroth and Rufus haven't just invited themselves into the party, Cloud would be completely powerless to stop them!

I absolutely loved your fake magazine, the awful formatting in it was just perfect. The worst game guide I ever bought was Prima's for Knight of the Old Republic, somehow almost everything in it was blatantly wrong. Even the simple area maps would label inaccessible locations, have legends that didn't match the map, or reference items that weren't in the game.

Oddly enough the Brady guide for FF7 was one of the most accurate game guides I owned. Ugly as hell and shaped like a book, but workable.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

keiran_helcyan posted:

The Cait Sith thing really pissed me off the first time I played the game. Personally, I think it's because it emphasized the railroaded nature of the plot. I wonder why Sephiroth and Rufus haven't just invited themselves into the party, Cloud would be completely powerless to stop them!

Yeah, I thought it was really awkwardly done. I mean, it seemed to me that they wrote Cait Sith as a spy, but they couldn't figure out how to reveal him as such. I mean, getting the Keystone accomplished exactly nothing for Shinra, since they could have just done what Cloud does and wait for the other guy to go use it, since they both want to get in. And the whole resolution is basically just "Yes, the incredibly suspicious guy who randomly joined us with no prompting is, in fact, a spy. Unfortunately, we can't actually do anything about this, so just try to pretend he isn't there."

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

keiran_helcyan posted:

Ugly as hell and shaped like a book, but workable.
What shape is it supposed to be?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Dauntasa posted:

Yeah, I thought it was really awkwardly done. I mean, it seemed to me that they wrote Cait Sith as a spy, but they couldn't figure out how to reveal him as such. I mean, getting the Keystone accomplished exactly nothing for Shinra, since they could have just done what Cloud does and wait for the other guy to go use it, since they both want to get in.

In theory, the idea was for Shinra to beat both Cloud and Sephiroth to the Temple.
In practice, it doesn't matter at all since Tseng got the smackdown laid on him anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

The biggest problem with the Brady Guide for FF& isn't even the gameplay information. It's more the fact that there are three points in the game where someone decided to cover literally half a page at least each time with FMV screen shots involving three of the biggest twists of the game.

Ah, yes it does do that. I guess it didn't bother me because by the time I got the guide, I'd already made it past all the major twists on my own. I just couldn't for the life of me figure out where to go next at the point where I broke down and got a guide. Also, it never told you where you could get Choco Buckle. That drove me crazy for years until I discovered Gamefaqs.

Zeikier posted:

I think you mean a third one. :smug:

To my knowledge, you can only get more of those by Morphing the Tonberries in the Northern Crater. By that point, yeah, you can make yourself into a god anyway, but for the rest of the game, it'd be handy to have the extra status protection. Besides, suppose you want to use your accessory slot for something else?

Zeikier posted:

There was also a Nintendo Power guide I had of Majora's Mask, that had a bunch of interesting eater eggs and bonus events some other guides didn't list (like how you could use the Mask of Scent on Gorman's boxers to get the mushrooms :gonk:). It was a nice touch.

The official guide for Ocarina of Time was like that. Unfortunately, when I bought that guide (expressly for the Water Temple), I found that the pages for the Water Temple had been ripped out! :argh:

My mom returned it and got me a new guide, the Versus Books one, oddly enough. Turned out I liked that one better than the official one. It had a sense of humor to it that was really wacky. It introduced me to the wonder of Versus Books guide.

Years later, I got a free strategy guide from Ninteno Power for I forget what, and chose the Ocarina of Time guide so I could have that too. By now I think I have that drat game memorized. I was able to drat near 100% the 3DS version on my own. Not sure if I should be proud of that or not...

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Silver Falcon posted:

To my knowledge, you can only get more of those by Morphing the Tonberries in the Northern Crater. By that point, yeah, you can make yourself into a god anyway, but for the rest of the game, it'd be handy to have the extra status protection. Besides, suppose you want to use your accessory slot for something else?

No, there are two available without the use of Morph as normal treasure. One in the Temple of the Ancients which I think Elentor already got? And one in an area at the start of disc 2. One can be won very much later also, I think, but... it's a whole lot of effort.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jun 3, 2012

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

What shape is it supposed to be?

Glossy and magazine shaped like in Elentor's parody! My FF7 guide looked kind of like a box shaped medical desk reference.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Squalitude posted:

That was a really neat set of updates- is the play with Tifa identical as with Aeris, or just not worth showing?

If you dick around during the play, Tifa will punch Cloud and knock him out.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
How has no one commented on the Ocarina of Time bit? That was my favourite part.

Pineapple Salad
Apr 4, 2012

What a neverending story, Mark!

ArchWizard posted:

If you dick around during the play, Tifa will punch Cloud and knock him out.

Aeris and Yuffie do the same thing. The play is identical for each girl.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Valgaav posted:

How has no one commented on the Ocarina of Time bit? That was my favourite part.

What part is that?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Namagem posted:

This update is amazing, Elentor. I would legitimately pay :20bux: for a full guide in that style, and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.

Kickstartin' the poo poo out of this (not really).

Golbez posted:

What part is that?

First page, I talk about how Zelda is about to be released. God I remember the magazines in endless debates about which is better, Zelda or FF7.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I'm pretty sure that even as a child I realized how absolutely stupid it was to compare the two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Even if you can't kick Cait Sith out, can you at least do what Orange Fluffy Sheep is doing: "accidentally" kill him, then switch him out of the party forever?

• Locked thread