Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
futureproof
Jul 19, 2006

Victory for the monkey beast!
I wish there were more armor and weapons to find out in the game world. Getting the best armor and weapons from vendors (besides the Ur Dragon stuff) is really lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Azraden posted:

killing the cockatrice

Oh, that would explain it then.

I was too poo poo to kill it :smith:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What's a good level to do "A Challenge"? I'm around 50, but I'm too afraid to leave Gran Soren unless I feel like I can take it on!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

PunkBoy posted:

What's a good level to do "A Challenge"? I'm around 50, but I'm too afraid to leave Gran Soren unless I feel like I can take it on!
You can do anything you put your mind to~

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Nahxela posted:

You can do anything you put your mind to~

Hm, maybe I'll give it a shot. I should probably use a class I'm not leveling, though. That's making the Everfall even more of a nightmare.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

PunkBoy posted:

You'll be fine. I did it handily around 43-44. You'll be fighting the hydra you battled at the encampment, but for real this time. Bring a mage/sorcerer with fire boon/affinity, or have it yourself and give it to a melee pawn, and everything will go A-OK. If you've been doing the everfall, you may have even fought an archydra, and if you've beaten that then this is a pushover at best.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I was kinda iffy on the pawn system until tonight. I'm just exploring a cave when all of a sudden a fuckhuge Cyclops busts through the wall!

Me: OH HOLY poo poo WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! :derp:
Pawns: Dude, chill. We got this.

The pawns assemble and start dismantling it like its just another day at the office. One very short fight later, during which I did very little other than try to climb its back, the cyclops is dead.

Me: What... huh... how...?
Pawns: Told ya. :smug::respek::clint:

It's somewhat embarrassing to watch the AI play the game better than you do, but it's a nice change of pace from yelling at the screen because none of the AI party members can fight worth a drat.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Go back to Cassardis and kill bats there for the quest. That should set you up with 50k. From there, you can make forays into a couple of main quests.

Cheating with goon pawns help too.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My pawn has become stupid as gently caress. I cannot get her to cast holy affinity while fighting the evil eye. Managed it once and tore through it but shes just refusing to now

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm...is there any real advantage to new game plus or should I start a normal new game so I can re-spec my character? It sure doesn't look like any enemies changed in NG+, I can one-shot all of them.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Scott Bakula posted:

My pawn has become stupid as gently caress. I cannot get her to cast holy affinity while fighting the evil eye. Managed it once and tore through it but shes just refusing to now

Just talk to the pawn in the chair and pick mendicant when possible. They enchant your weapons until someone is seriously hurt and only attack when everyone is enchanted.

Also, if you use the "help" command before a fight, your enchant pawns will go to work immediately.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...is there any real advantage to new game plus or should I start a normal new game so I can re-spec my character? It sure doesn't look like any enemies changed in NG+, I can one-shot all of them.

What class/level are you using?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ankle-biter posted:

What class/level are you using?
Mostly fighter and assassin, (mage/sorcerer for my pawn) level 57. If I start a normal new game I will basically switch them and go all magic.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ankle-biter posted:

Just talk to the pawn in the chair and pick mendicant when possible. They enchant your weapons until someone is seriously hurt and only attack when everyone is enchanted.

Also, if you use the "help" command before a fight, your enchant pawns will go to work immediately.

She utilitarian primary medicant secondary. I think part of it is that the pawns were getting hurt so she was healing. Finally had her cast it a second time and the fucker removed it before I got a chance to hurt it.

Also the constant spells were knocking her out of casting it. Finally killed it though

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

After beating the game, I love the little details towards the ultimate end of it

Specifically, when you kill the drake in Devilfire Grove, how he says "The seat of god lies beyond", or something along those lines. It's like the dragon types know that they only serve a purpose in the world of challenging the Arisen to rise above mere mortality

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

I was thinking about it, and here's what I want in a sequel (and there better be a sequel, Capcom, you hear me?):

* More large monsters. What's there is fantastic but it feels a little scarce. The vast majority of boss-monster fights in the game were against cyclopes, which is cool but some variety is nice. Doesn't help that a handful of the large monsters are just pallete swaps (gorechimera) or close to them (gryphon/cockatrice, drake/wyvern/wyrm) with new movesets.

* An option at the scrivener to copy stats from one piece of armor/weapon onto another piece of armor/weapon of the same category (at the cost of losing both original items, a fee in gold, and making the new version untradeable, unupgradable, and unsellable), and an option to dye armor different colors.

* Swimming, sailing, water-based monster fights (kraken!)

* Let pawns be hybrid classes.

* Real co-op. Even if you were just controlling your pawn an didn't gain anything real for it, Fable 2 style.

Aaaaand.... really that's it. Hell, I'd pay another $60 right now for literally the same game with these additions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

a kitten posted:

I found it in an entirely different bandit (male) camp way down in the South Aernst Castle. You don't even have to fight them it's in a chest way, way up at the top of their ruins, took a little jumping to get to, luckily a pawn knew the way.

Oh, that explains it. Now I have to go all the way back down there, and dig around until I'm in the right area since it crossed it off my map. I wish there was at least a fast travel between towns, it's not like the canyon's going to change or anything. At least assaulting that castle was fun. How many quests did I lock myself out of by ensnaring and tossing all the bandits up there off a cliff?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Funkmaster General posted:

I was thinking about it, and here's what I want in a sequel (and there better be a sequel, Capcom, you hear me?):

* More large monsters. What's there is fantastic but it feels a little scarce. The vast majority of boss-monster fights in the game were against cyclopes, which is cool but some variety is nice. Doesn't help that a handful of the large monsters are just pallete swaps (gorechimera) or close to them (gryphon/cockatrice, drake/wyvern/wyrm) with new movesets.

* An option at the scrivener to copy stats from one piece of armor/weapon onto another piece of armor/weapon of the same category (at the cost of losing both original items, a fee in gold, and making the new version untradeable, unupgradable, and unsellable), and an option to dye armor different colors.

* Swimming, sailing, water-based monster fights (kraken!)

* Let pawns be hybrid classes.

* Real co-op. Even if you were just controlling your pawn an didn't gain anything real for it, Fable 2 style.

Aaaaand.... really that's it. Hell, I'd pay another $60 right now for literally the same game with these additions.
Yeah, I want a sequel too. What I'm hoping is that this is Capcom's Star Wars, they did it with all kinds of production problems and budget problems and so on, and it was something new for them and all the problems that causes, and DD2 or whatever will be their Empire Strikes Back where all those things are corrected.

But who the hell knows if there will be a sequel. I don't think it will turn a profit despite a million plus sales, they put so much money into it. Can its creators successfully argue that it should have a sequel anyway?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'd like a few more classes I think as well that are different from what we have. Maybe just from another base class that is very different somehow.

If it sells well enough and they have the engine and such already built I could see a sequel being a lot cheaper to produce

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I want a sequel too. What I'm hoping is that this is Capcom's Star Wars, they did it with all kinds of production problems and budget problems and so on, and it was something new for them and all the problems that causes, and DD2 or whatever will be their Empire Strikes Back where all those things are corrected.

But who the hell knows if there will be a sequel. I don't think it will turn a profit despite a million plus sales, they put so much money into it. Can its creators successfully argue that it should have a sequel anyway?

I don't know enough about the game industry to claim that I know what I'm talking about, but it seems to me that even if a game doesn't end up turning a profit, if it sells phenomenally that indicates that a sequel would sell pretty drat well, too. In the case of a game like this, which was something almost entirely new, it would probably cost a lot less to do a sequel because most of the base mechanics and a ton of re-usable assets are already there, and those two things combined would probably mean that it would turn a decent profit.

But again, I'm pulling that out of my rear end so who knows.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I'd love to see them just stop denying it and stick some actual Monster Hunter stuff in this game. I'd love to have some Rathalos armor.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They'll obviously do a sequel. Hell, this is Capcom, they'll probably have Ultimate Dragon's Dogma Bonermaster Edition in a few months.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think I might have bounced around classes too much as my stats seem a little too balanced. Lvl 48 219 strength 200 magic, what are other people at in post game?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

I'd love to see them just stop denying it and stick some actual Monster Hunter stuff in this game. I'd love to have some Rathalos armor.
Naw, I don't think it would fit the tone. It would be all colorful and goofy looking in an otherwise grey and drab world.

Of course, you can give your characters blue hair though...

Fonzarelli posted:

They'll obviously do a sequel. Hell, this is Capcom, they'll probably have Ultimate Dragon's Dogma Bonermaster Edition in a few months.
I don't think that really counts as a sequel.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jun 3, 2012

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Maybe not Monster Hunter stuff, but more big monsters to fight would be nice. Like a manticore, or a minotaur, or maybe cerberus.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Is there a way to quickly rank up a vocation? I maxed out Ranger and want to mine Warrior and maybe Magick archer for augments but I don't want to leave my sweet sweet longbow for very long.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The magick archer augments really aren't all that good. I'm using pretty much exclusively strider/sorcerer and I'm playing as a magic archer

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Is there a solid reason as to why The Brine lurks around every body of water? since it seems to be a case of, "just because", I never liked it when games throw an invincible force as Border Patrol at you, it makes me want to see what lies beyond even more.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I guess they just didn't want to impliment swimming and all the exploration that would come with.

It's such a shame, really. I saw those boats littered around the world and thought I'd eventually be taking those boats to offshore islands or something, but nope. Also nobody in Gransys has ever experienced the joys of swimming.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Is there only one toilet in all of Gran Soren? That'd be pretty funny, if they created a toilet for the game just to put it in one random rear end place (I found it while exploring the guard towers of the city)

low-key-taco posted:

I think I might have bounced around classes too much as my stats seem a little too balanced. Lvl 48 219 strength 200 magic, what are other people at in post game?

That doesn't seem that bad. A non-elemental post game weapon should bring you up to about 600-700 strength, yeah?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do hybrid vocations level up slower than others? I'm trying to get Assassin to the point where it's actually interesting or different from Strider or Fighter, and killing a gryphon, a cyclops, and a metal golem didn't push it from level 4 to level 5. Meanwhile, in that time Freighter S. went from warrior level 1 to 4.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Do hybrid vocations level up slower than others? I'm trying to get Assassin to the point where it's actually interesting or different from Strider or Fighter, and killing a gryphon, a cyclops, and a metal golem didn't push it from level 4 to level 5. Meanwhile, in that time Freighter S. went from warrior level 1 to 4.

I think this is less of a problem with hybrid vocations and more that each vocation level requires exponentially more... whatever it is that levels them up (experience or discipline points, I assume). So if you were also level one you'd have reached 4 by now, too.

I could be wrong, though.

Kieyen
Dec 18, 2006

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Edit: Never mind, found this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62984110

Kieyen fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 3, 2012

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That means the definite best place to grind vocations, and only vocations, if you feel so inclined is in post game
in the noble quarter after the duke chases you out of the castle the guards spawn infinitely. They only give you 86xp which means you get the higher JP percentage per kill so you can gain vocation without going up in character levels. If you want to be extra cheesy it looks like you can park your character nearby and let your pawns massacre them and gain you vocation levels.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 3, 2012

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

A lot of my friends, and posters on other boards, are having a very difficult time understanding the Ur-Dragon fight, so I've written what I hope is a comprehensive guide to everything Ur-Dragon related. Note that this is going to contain spoilers.

1. Where is the Ur-Dragon?
You can fight the Ur-Dragon during the post-game segment, after defeating the Evil Eye in the everfall. His chamber (the chamber of lament) is on a visually-distinct floor with a five-foot or so walkway leading to a door. You can also fight him in new game+ or beyond from a special riftstone located on the beach in Cassardis (the town you begin the game in).

2. What is the Ur-Dragon?
The Ur-Dragon is an optional boss monster, and the toughest the game has to offer. He begins as a pure-white version of "the" dragon, with a slightly different face. He breathes purple fire which deals more damage than normal dragonfire, but has no other special effects. As you fight him, parts of his body will begin turning dark purple and bruising, allowing you to see where his hearts are located. Eventually those hearts will become enflamed and glow bright red, then burst with a blue light and turn into a blackish patch of skin. In subsequent encounters these patches of skin are missing entirely, looking rotten away, exposing skeleton beneath them.

3. Subsequent fights?
In the tradition laid forth by Monster Hunter's elder dragons, the Ur-Dragon cannot be killed in a single encounter. His health is simply too great. The Ur-Dragon will flee the battle after eight minutes. The next time you enter his chamber, he will retain that damage. All completely destroyed weak points will be rotten away, revealing the skeleton and making him look much like a zombie.

4. How does the fight work?
If you're playing with your connection settings set to "offline," then I've pretty much described the whole thing. Other than only taking damage on its weak points, much like a golem, and being fought over multiple encounters, the Ur-Dragon is just like any other boss. Destroying each weak point will drop materials, and killing him outright will net a large group of rewards. (Notably, the rewards do not drop on his corpse, but rather appear in front of the tombstone in the back of the chamber)

However, the Ur-Dragon is a different beast entirely when you are playing online.

The Ur-Dragon is a shared boss, and everyone on your console is working together to take him out. When you enter his chamber, the game fetches his current status from the server. When you are finished battling him, the weak spots you destroyed and the damage you dealt are uploaded back to the server. Whenever someone enters the fight after you, your damage persists in their world.

It's not all sunshine and rainbows though. To keep things interesting, anytime a player dies fighting the Ur-Dragon, not only does any damage they dealt become forfeit, but the dragon will actually heal itself approximately one health-bar worth. (Using a wakestone prevents this)

Anyone that deals any ammount of damage to the Ur-Dragon will recieve some rewards when he is slain, but the truly epic loot goes to the one who makes the killing blow. Note that, because of the way the health is synched, any number of people may get the killing blow at once. In fact, for a short time after he is killed, anyone entering the arena will find him sitting at no health, ready for some quick damage and an easy takedown.

Once the dragon is slain, the names of everyone who killed it are added to the tombstone for everyone to see. The tombstone also carries a running total of how many times each player has slain the dragon, and how much total damage each player has done to the dragon over their entire playtime.

Each time the Ur-Dragon dies, it reappears again with full health and another generational notch. The generation of Ur-Dragon you are fighting is given to you as you enter the battle, and indicates the number of times the dragon has died. Each generation has more health than the last, meaning that the dragon gets harder to kill as time passes.

5. What do I get?
Loot for killing the dragon comes in three tiers: A door prize for dealing damage but not killing, a modest prize for killing the dragon offline, and a huge stash for killing the dragon online.

Door prizes include curatives, gold, and wakestones. Depending on the ammount of damage you dealt, you may or may not recieve a few pieces of gear as well.

Killing the dragon offline nets you 20 wakestones and three pieces of gear. These pieces of gear include the pieces of the abyssal armor set, one set of daggers, one sword, one shield, and one staff. You also have a chance of getting some of your equipped gear dragonforged.

Killing the dragon online gets you 20 wakestones, a ton of gold, a full set of abyssal armor (minus the abyssal outfit clothing item, which exists but rarely (possibly never) drops), a random mask from a set of four, and two to three weapons, including a set of daggers, a sword, a shield, a staff, a longsword, a magick shield, and an archstaff. All of your equipped gear will be dragonforged.

Killing the Ur-Dragon, online or off, also nets you a ton of experience.

6. How should I fight the Ur-Dragon?
The Ur-Dragon isn't immune to any type of damage, so you can tackle him any way you want. He is weak, relatively speaking, to Holy damage. It's strongly recommended that you have some form of ranged attack, however. The absolute best build for fighting the Ur-Dragon is an assassin, fighting alone at night, with a bow and sword, climbing and gouging lower weak points and using arrows on higher ones. For optimum damage output bring a maker's finger (which will instantly destroy one weak point and in the process do up to a full bar of damage) and a ton of explosive arrows (each volley of which will temporarily stun the dragon as well as doing a ton of damage).

Am I missing anything? Other than exact loot table or something I guess.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jun 3, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Where or when can I get a Magick Bow that isn't the Magian Crutch? I'm getting really sick of this thing.

Edit: Also is there any way to cancel a weapon element buff or tell my casters not to use it?

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 3, 2012

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Where or when can I get a Magick Bow that isn't the Magian Crutch? I'm getting really sick of this thing.

Edit: Also is there any way to cancel a weapon element buff or tell my casters not to use it?

I found one in Bluemoon Tower, and I've heard there's one in Soulflayer Canyon.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Finally killed the gryphon, although I have no idea how; a pawn climbed on it, there were explosions and it was dead. Now it's time to go to Devilfire Grove and kick that drake's rear end

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'm confused about the post game. I killed the evil eye but now what? Do I need that item from fournival to allow me to track wakestones or whatever?

Edit: Nevermind, I see I need to jump off the everfall again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm confused about the post game. I killed the evil eye but now what? Do I need that item from fournival to allow me to track wakestones or whatever?

No, just go kill poo poo in the everfall. Everything down there has a chance to drop wakestones and you'll find a ton in chests, too.

• Locked thread