Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

NTT posted:

Which is good, because jesus christ there is a lot of forced cutscenes to slog through.

Have you never pressed Start (or + i guess) during a cutscene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Holy poo poo, things got loving grim all of a sudden:

Let's all work together! Chain attacks, party members of different races, hit 'b' for encouragement everybody, hero time! reyn time baby riki sneaky let's not lose our heads though you behave! my rife's heating up riki like fighting easy monsters OH HOLY poo poo THE FACES ARE homs who have been brainwashed and had their loving organs carved out to make them "more compatible" with mechonis? fuuuuuuck :psyduck:

rikisneaky

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Truer words have never been shrunken.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

HenryEx posted:

Have Housing lvl 4 and talk to her with Shulk. [is how to get Rosemary to emigrate to Colony 6.]

Really? That's how? :argh: There was no indication I needed a specific guy in the lead. I guess I have to try switching people up with all the other people who are going "hint hint".

I also tried fighting some monsters 11 levels higher than I was (level 80) to try and get the "10 levels higher" achievement. It did not go well. I had the best luck with a Vang that took 10 minutes to fight using Riki/Shulk/Seven, and it was on the last sliver of health when I died.

What should I try and harvest for Rank V "Arts Stealth" crystals? I think Melia could use some of those. I usually try and keep her in "HP Up V" stuff, but that might not be optimal.

I also think I found the Sleep-spike unique on Kromar Coast, but the spike seems to hit the entire party so it looks like I need "Sleep Resist V" crystals as well.

Looking back at some earlier advice, it seems like I killed [Level 75 boss] Lorithia the hard way when I finally beat it. I did have Melia on point, with Shulk and Sharla, but I completely ignored the floating nebulae around her, because killing them didn't seem that effective on my previous playthroughs and I died then. I wasn't using AoE/DoT elementals either, just wind and lightning. Looks like I was able to out-attrition her.

I'll also throw in that it really surprised me when a near-endgame mandatory UM raged or something and increased its level by 4! I'd never seen that before, so it was a bit shocking.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Really? That's how? :argh: There was no indication I needed a specific guy in the lead. I guess I have to try switching people up with all the other people who are going "hint hint".

I also tried fighting some monsters 11 levels higher than I was (level 80) to try and get the "10 levels higher" achievement. It did not go well. I had the best luck with a Vang that took 10 minutes to fight using Riki/Shulk/Seven, and it was on the last sliver of health when I died.

What should I try and harvest for Rank V "Arts Stealth" crystals? I think Melia could use some of those. I usually try and keep her in "HP Up V" stuff, but that might not be optimal.

I also think I found the Sleep-spike unique on Kromar Coast, but the spike seems to hit the entire party so it looks like I need "Sleep Resist V" crystals as well.

Looking back at some earlier advice, it seems like I killed [Level 75 boss] Lorithia the hard way when I finally beat it. I did have Melia on point, with Shulk and Sharla, but I completely ignored the floating nebulae around her, because killing them didn't seem that effective on my previous playthroughs and I died then. I wasn't using AoE/DoT elementals either, just wind and lightning. Looks like I was able to out-attrition her.

I'll also throw in that it really surprised me when a near-endgame mandatory UM raged or something and increased its level by 4! I'd never seen that before, so it was a bit shocking.

Arts Stealth: Ageshu enemies in Prison Island, or mining (ice) in Bionis' Interior or Ether Mines (colony 6 nature level 5).

Debuff Resist instead of Sleep Resist: What I did - for the affinity raising anyway - was throw my freebie Debuff Resist 5 (colony 6 level 4 completion reward) and 6 (High Entia Tomb, Royal Treasury, chest) gems onto whoever I was controlling. You can't farm unlimited Debuff Resist crystals (of any rank) until you can take out the level 98 Deinos Saurus in Makna (which at least has the decency to drop rank 5 crystals).

Sleep Resist: Rank 5 crystals (and thus rank 6 gems, allowing you immunity in only one gem slot) come only from Fiendish Auburn in Prison Island, or his lackeys (who I think share his treasure chest anyway). You could alternatively use two mega heat rank 5 gems (and thus rank 4 crystals). You can get those crystals from the flamii (both regular and unique; unique coughs them up more) on Fallen Arm. You can also trade Pelupelu for rank 5 gems if you have 5 affinity stars with Frontier Village, though they're probably not maxed out so you'd need three of them for immunity.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

NTT posted:

In other news, I had to switch Wiis halfway through playing the goddamn game. Good news was that I was level 72 on Lorithia and gently caress that boss. This time I went a lot slower, trying to do a lot more of the sidequests, since I did like 0 last time. I learned so much more poo poo about this game, it was ridiculous. I didn't know about the collectapedia, or to stagger your skill tree levelling since it's more SP required each time, or that there were collectables in Frontier. It's like a totally new game. Which is good, because jesus christ there is a lot of forced cutscenes to slog through.

How did you not know about the collectapedia? Did you just completely gloss over the tutorial messages that pop up? Or even look at the skill trees at all? :psyduck:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So, Alcamoth. Worst town, or worst town.

Who at Monolith thought it would be a good idea to throw in a loving court intrigue plot? There has never been a good court intrigue plot. Every single one is the same. And the High Entia are basically fantasy space elves, occasional racism and all, and their area is huge and has like three landmarks oh my God I hate this place

Also, I'm level 42 and just got here. This game gives you way too much experience. It's past just being a design choice and turned into a flaw at this point. Even if I slow down on the questing, everything I do just drops truckloads more EXP on my head. It makes the entire mainline game a snore.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If it makes you feel better, a while after Alcamoth you start going into combat against things that might appear lower level but still can damage you well, and then you start facing things appropriate for your overleveled self.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I have to say, Riki Riki get's pretty crazy once his DPS skills are leveled up. Poison, frost, burn, and bleed damage all going off at the same time AND getting around damage immunity/spikes with those abilities has turned him into a little murder machine.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Fibby Boy posted:

I have to say, Riki Riki get's pretty crazy once his DPS skills are leveled up. Poison, frost, burn, and bleed damage all going off at the same time AND getting around damage immunity/spikes with those abilities has turned him into a little murder machine.

This is why I love Riki or Melia on a team. Just cast those DOTs and watch the enemy's health melt away in seconds.

Jeez, I'm working the endgame content and I think my team will hit the level cap before Seven completes the basic skill trees. If the devs had bumped it down to 1750/2500 for the last two skills things would be much more even. But then again, Seven's skills are so absurdly good that it kind of evens out.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Manoueverable posted:

This is why I love Riki or Melia on a team. Just cast those DOTs and watch the enemy's health melt away in seconds.

Jeez, I'm working the endgame content and I think my team will hit the level cap before Seven completes the basic skill trees. If the devs had bumped it down to 1750/2500 for the last two skills things would be much more even. But then again, Seven's skills are so absurdly good that it kind of evens out.

I actually just gone done kicking Metal Face's teeth in using Riki, Reyn, and Sharla. Shulk ain't poo poo with his magic sword.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
I'm getting the poo poo kicked out of me by the huge level 57 Mischievous Fortress guy in Sword Valley. My dudes are level 57 as well and the main problem is that the idiot NPC Sharla gets destroyed by Titan Stomp and has the slowest reactions ever. I'm tanking with Reyn and the other character I'm using is Shulk. Anyone have any tips?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I just did that one a few days ago and had the exact same problem. Solved it by controlling Sharla myself. Boring but effective.

AI Sharla never uses Cool Down until the bar is maxed and it triggers automatically, which means she is inactive for long periods of time. If that happens in conjunction with a Titan Stomp you're dead.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Cuatal posted:

I'm getting the poo poo kicked out of me by the huge level 57 Mischievous Fortress guy in Sword Valley. My dudes are level 57 as well and the main problem is that the idiot NPC Sharla gets destroyed by Titan Stomp and has the slowest reactions ever. I'm tanking with Reyn and the other character I'm using is Shulk. Anyone have any tips?

The fortress mechon aren't meant to be fought from the ground. They're a lot easier if you can fight them from an elevated platform. If you can't do that—I don't remember if there's a way up by him, and I do remember him kicking my rear end over and over—the "gain a few levels and come back" strategy works fine.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I needed like 5 levels on that guy before I could take him on from the ground, and even then I died a bunch of times. But then again, later on I was able to take on the Level 70 version from the ground at level 70 and kill it on my second try.

Don't use a Chain attack unless it's a a sliver of health, you'll need the party bar for revives.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So I've put in just over 100 hours now, and we, the whole drat crew (:woop:) are just leaving Fallen Arm.

I'm fairly sure I could have beaten the game some 30-odd hours ago, but I get sidetracked. A lot. What's the halfway-point of this game again? :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm still doddering about Alcamoth (at level 43, this overleveling is killing me inside), but Riki is getting sort of ridiculous. He inflicts so much aggravated damage that it wouldn't be amiss for him to hit a monster twice, go "you are already dead," and sheathe his weapon as it spontaneously explodes.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I needed like 5 levels on that guy before I could take him on from the ground, and even then I died a bunch of times. But then again, later on I was able to take on the Level 70 version from the ground at level 70 and kill it on my second try.

Don't use a Chain attack unless it's a a sliver of health, you'll need the party bar for revives.

I am going to offer the opposite advice. Link up the abilities to recover HP from a chain attack, and use it whenever your health is getting low.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mazed posted:

So I've put in just over 100 hours now, and we, the whole drat crew (:woop:) are just leaving Fallen Arm.

I'm fairly sure I could have beaten the game some 30-odd hours ago, but I get sidetracked. A lot. What's the halfway-point of this game again? :v:

You've already passed it. You're not that far from the end game realistically. There's a whole lot less sidequesting from there.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

MARTY TURKEY posted:

How did you not know about the collectapedia? Did you just completely gloss over the tutorial messages that pop up? Or even look at the skill trees at all? :psyduck:

I didn't know about the collectapedia until getting to Alcamoth. I think one of the NPC's there was like "remember to use the collectopedia!" Also I was checking the achievements and kept wondering what the collection stuff was about. It's not like the game encourages you to use the menu system, with all the long loading and all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Should I go ahead and grab everyone's Anti-Mechon weapon when first arriving at Sword Valley? Or do other weapons that can damage Mechon drop in the area?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I did, but didn't end up using it. Most of my weapons did way more damage at that point, or I could easily topple, or use ether arts. Eventually you find some mk2 ones which are more worth it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

C-Euro posted:

Should I go ahead and grab everyone's Anti-Mechon weapon when first arriving at Sword Valley? Or do other weapons that can damage Mechon drop in the area?

You may as well. It's not like money's hard to come by. I'd also equip them on almost everyone, too. Even with the lower damage, it'll be faster than relying on Topple or micromanaging Enchant.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Best to only buy the ones for Dunban, Reyn and Riki unless you plan to enchant spam with Shulk.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
More Post-Game Questing stuff:

I finally have the key to the special mystery places all over. The one in High Entia Tomb had a Debuff Resist VI Gem, which will be very useful on whoever will be my main. There's also apparently a hidden place somewhere else, so I have to go look for that next.

I also think I heard that Melia gets a special new art: Soul Read. Who do I talk to to get that quest-line started?

I found the special statue on Valak Mountain, but I missed out on the Heart-to-Heart there because examining it summoned a level 99 or something enemy. I'll have to go back later.

I also finished the last of the Red Pollen quest. I was only missing the last one, and it probably didn't unlock until the end-game because the boss was level 78. Great music in that part.

A (end-game Satorl marsh) High Entia wants me to find her former friend. To do that I need to talk to three people. I found the first two. The third whose name starts with A is somewhere in Frontier Village, but I'm sure I looked around the ship both in day and night and I can't find them. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I made (special endgame weapon)Replica Monado 2, but I really don't feel like looking all over for the whatever wisp I need to make Replica Monado 3. I have or know where to get the other two ingredients for that one already.

At the (endgame Ether Plant) is the missing twin sister. I already sent her sister and father to Colony 6, but I tried talking to her twice with all 7 party members and she won't go. Do I have to talk to her family members first or does she just never leave at all?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

A (end-game Satorl marsh) High Entia wants me to find her former friend. To do that I need to talk to three people. I found the first two. The third whose name starts with A is somewhere in Frontier Village, but I'm sure I looked around the ship both in day and night and I can't find them. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I'm pretty sure that character hangs out under one of the tree roots near the ship in the morning.

At the (endgame Ether Plant) is the missing twin sister. I already sent her sister and father to Colony 6, but I tried talking to her twice with all 7 party members and she won't go. Do I have to talk to her family members first or does she just never leave at all?

The sisters are mutually exclusive. Only one can become a resident of Colony 6.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Soul Read is, I think, the purge-able thing telethia like to do to be obnoxious. The only arts unlocked through questing are the two optional Monado arts for Shulk. All other arts come from plot or levelling.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

I made (special endgame weapon)Replica Monado 2, but I really don't feel like looking all over for the whatever wisp I need to make Replica Monado 3. I have or know where to get the other two ingredients for that one already.

gently caress this (and all other) weather based quests. There's another quest, Challange that uses the same weather, at the very least, you can knock them both out at once.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Thanks, Turnip Fritter.

Vil posted:

Soul Read is, I think, the purge-able thing telethia like to do to be obnoxious. The only arts unlocked through questing are the two optional Monado arts for Shulk. All other arts come from plot or levelling.

:downs: Oh. That's what I get for skimming some posts about post-game questing (to try and limit spoilers) and only catching three key words without taking in context.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally finished post-game content tonight, clocked in around 115 hours. The superboss fights are more so preparation than actual fighting. Gems are pretty much your leveling once you reached the high nineties so I advise farming for gems (particularly debuff, topple/daze resist, agility, night vision, unbeatable, spike/physical damage reduction)

The only one that gave me trouble was the bunny. Such a ridiculously high evasion rate even with maxed night vision and agility, also the fact he gains three levels near the end and starts hitting like a truck. Although I was finally able to beat him putting muscle up and skill linking 7ths 10% damage reduction to Dunban Even though I did play them all safemode (shulk dunban sharla) the fights were long and engaging.

Great game, looking forward to what Monolith-Soft has up their sleeves for the Wii-U

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

cgeq posted:

I didn't know about the collectapedia until getting to Alcamoth. I think one of the NPC's there was like "remember to use the collectopedia!" Also I was checking the achievements and kept wondering what the collection stuff was about. It's not like the game encourages you to use the menu system, with all the long loading and all.

Isn't there a tutorial message that pops up very early on and tells you about the collectopaedia?

EDIT: I mean, the game shouldn't have to "encourage" you to explore the menus. Isn't that exactly what they are for? The first thing I do in almost every RPG is look at all the menu options.

Also I just booted up my game and yes there is a tutorial about the collectopaedia, read the goddamn tutorials people jesus christ

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 4, 2012

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Question regarding Seventh:

What's the best way to turn this character into a tank? Just equipping the tank-specific armor set (the "Power" stuff) doesn't quite seem to cut it, as they still have a whole lot less survivability than Reyn and Dunban. Should I be focusing on specific talents and linking specific skills, and is there any particular gear I ought to be on the lookout for?

I freaking love this character's whole style (the combat animations and quotes are awesome), but so far they seem kind of sub-par in each potential role compared to everyone else. :v:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mazed posted:

Question regarding Seventh:

What's the best way to turn this character into a tank?

Just go straight agility armor and dodge tank like Dunban. Keep haste and double attack high and you'll have no trouble holding agro at least against single targets.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
gently caress, Seven (set up for speed/agility) and Riki will hold their own against hordes of enemies no matter who your third is. They're absolutely devastating when paired--moreso when Seven's got the fast armor set-up.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Go figure. :v: Guess it ain't party-time until your tank has occasional giggle-fits and the guy bringing up the rear is a muppet. Think I'll throw Dunban in the middle because "BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE!" never ceases to amaze.

For being the mature and level-headed guy of the group, he is such a ham.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Oh my god, Seven skill linked with double attack increasing skills and gems, plus Haste and that one Speed aura, and the skill that makes every double attack a Critical Hit :getin:

They are seriously a death machine. It owns owns owns when they swing their weapon every couple of seconds and a string of massive numbers just pop out everywhere.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

MARTY TURKEY posted:

Oh my god, Seven skill linked with double attack increasing skills and gems, plus Haste and that one Speed aura, and the skill that makes every double attack a Critical Hit :getin:

They are seriously a death machine. It owns owns owns when they swing their weapon every couple of seconds and a string of massive numbers just pop out everywhere.

And 5x Sword Drones

Literally the only problem with Seven is the fact she's made of tissue paper and wallpaper glue. And the fact that Melia can still get aggroed when she starts nuking things for high five / low six figures.

Also Riki is the best character.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mazed posted:

Go figure. :v: Guess it ain't party-time until your tank has occasional giggle-fits and the guy bringing up the rear is a muppet. Think I'll throw Dunban in the middle because "BORN IN A WORLD OF STRIFE!" never ceases to amaze.

For being the mature and level-headed guy of the group, he is such a ham.

Hero muppet, thank you very much.

Right now, my party is Tits Sharla, Seven, and Riki, with Sharla as lead. I just have her sit back and take potshots at the baddies while Seven and Riki run in and gently caress poo poo up at close range. Sharla's got a couple healing abilities if the going gets tough, but Seven has his own regen spell (that the AI casts at the beginning of every fight) and Riki can heal the party (by spitting all over them), so we're never wanting for HP. Sharla's Drive Boost ability owns loving bones in a pinch--at higher levels, it lets her rain hell down on some punks almost constantly.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Sharla seems underrated. She's really good in the lead, I've found, particularly when you're going defensive. She saved my rear end a few times try to take down those bullshit fortress-mechon in Sword Valley.

On another note, I've noticed, with Seven (dammit, it sucks that everything about them is a spoiler :argh: ), the dynamic between this character and Reyn in their random exchanges is great.

If you have any siblings that you love to death but absolutely cannot resist messing with at every opportunity? This is exactly what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

primitive posted:

And 5x Sword Drones

Literally the only problem with Seven is the fact she's made of tissue paper and wallpaper glue. And the fact that Melia can still get aggroed when she starts nuking things for high five / low six figures.

Early on, maybe. Later, with 200+ agility, 1000+ phys defense, 8k hp, and alternating defense and regen auras? The only conceivable threats are critters with spike when you forget to equip spike defense gems.

It's true though that it is pretty much impossible to not grab agro with Melia if you main her and go all out.

• Locked thread