Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Yep. I think a Versys is an excellent alternative to both the Strom and the GS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Still looking at procuring my first bike and any input would be appreciated. I'm also fairly tall and wondering if that is something to take into consideration when shopping.

My goal is to basically have a (super cheap) summer bike to commute around and learn on.

Here are some bikes in my price range that caught my eye:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Woof.

1. No title + shady. Clean? :nyd:

2. Too big for a first bike.

3. Hondamatic.

I'm new to this myself, though; maybe I'm missing something.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Still looking at procuring my first bike and any input would be appreciated. I'm also fairly tall and wondering if that is something to take into consideration when shopping.

My goal is to basically have a (super cheap) summer bike to commute around and learn on.

Here are some bikes in my price range that caught my eye:

Have you looked for something like a KLR650? When I think of tall, inexpensive bikes that definitely comes to mind. Seems like short legs are a bigger issue, unless you're trying to fold yourself onto a 250. Hondamatics always seemed interesting, if only as an experiment. I'm guessing the parts would be hard to come by, but not having to worry about shifting would allow you to concentrate on other parts of skill building.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I wonder how a DRZ400SM would be for a first bike. :raise:

Jessican
Jul 28, 2005

Any thoughts on either of these? Price seems a little high to me, considering the KBB value is ~$2800, but they both look nice.

2004 SV650, $3900 - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3044758196.html
2001 SV650, $3888 - http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcd/3047886993.html

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Xovaan posted:

I wonder how a DRZ400SM would be for a first bike. :raise:

No sweat so long as you avoid the 690 duke. It is the liter bike of supermoto's (SM standards). They are twitchy, explosively fast, razor sharp chassis that do not forgive pansy behavior but reward hooning and being ridden 100%. You will have just the biggest crash if you buy one of these as your first bike and you'll never even know what happened. Duke 690's are probably one of the greatest and most under appreciated bikes of all time but don't let the HP number fool you, in this case 65 HP 'like an SV' is NOTHING like an SV.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jessican posted:

Any thoughts on either of these? Price seems a little high to me, considering the KBB value is ~$2800, but they both look nice.

Both are priced way high. Xovaan just sold his SV for $2700, there was one up for $1500 recently.

Jessican
Jul 28, 2005

Z3n posted:

Both are priced way high. Xovaan just sold his SV for $2700, there was one up for $1500 recently.

That's what I thought. The guy with the 04 wasn't interested in negotiating, and the 01 is at a dealership - he's willing to do $3500 out the door. Still too high I assume?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Jessican posted:

That's what I thought. The guy with the 04 wasn't interested in negotiating, and the 01 is at a dealership - he's willing to do $3500 out the door. Still too high I assume?

I wouldn't pay more than 2500$ for a 1st gen or more than 3500$ for a 2nd gen. SVs are just about everywhere, so keep looking/waiting.

The 2004 isn't too bad considering it's never been dropped, but still too high price wise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jessican posted:

Yeah, still too high.

Keep an eye on BARF and check CL regularly, when deals pop up you gotta be prepared to move, the Bay is a big market and there's a lot of people looking for deals out there.

Cyanophyta
Apr 24, 2008
Doing my CBT on wednesday (UK) so I'll be looking to get a 125cc starter bike. I'm 6'6" and a little on the heavy side so I'm aware this will rule out a lot of 125's, and I've been told to look at a varadero or a cg125.

Could anyone point me in the direction of something that would suit me? I don't have the greatest budget (£1-1.5k at most) so I'm aware my options are limited :(

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
I'm curious, what do you consider on the heavy side at 6'6"?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Jessican posted:

I saw a pristine SV like 4 days ago for 1500 in SF. That's way too high.

Cyanophyta
Apr 24, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

I'm curious, what do you consider on the heavy side at 6'6"?
I'm around 250-260ish pounds, not rotund or anything (fits my frame) but I could certainly stand to lose some.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Have you looked for something like a KLR650? When I think of tall, inexpensive bikes that definitely comes to mind. Seems like short legs are a bigger issue, unless you're trying to fold yourself onto a 250. Hondamatics always seemed interesting, if only as an experiment. I'm guessing the parts would be hard to come by, but not having to worry about shifting would allow you to concentrate on other parts of skill building.

I haven't looked at the KLR650s, but I have looked at the KZ750s. And in regards to size as long as you are strong(ish) and large I feel like a sub-750 standard would be manageable... right?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

judenhauer posted:

I'm around 250-260ish pounds, not rotund or anything (fits my frame) but I could certainly stand to lose some.

Interesting. Skinny shoulders/hips? I'm 6'7" and 330, and I need to lose some weight too; on the other hand if I were 260 I'd look amazing.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

judenhauer posted:

fatguyindenial.txt

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

judenhauer posted:

Doing my CBT on wednesday (UK) so I'll be looking to get a 125cc starter bike. I'm 6'6" and a little on the heavy side so I'm aware this will rule out a lot of 125's, and I've been told to look at a varadero or a cg125.

Could anyone point me in the direction of something that would suit me? I don't have the greatest budget (£1-1.5k at most) so I'm aware my options are limited :(

Weighing 250 lbs doesn't rule out most 125s at all. You might just be a bit cramped at 6' 6". The CG125 is actually a tiny little thing. If you want the larger version, track down a CB125 (e: not sure how late these came into the UK though).

As far as specific bikes:

1) Derbi Terra - but it's probably more likely you'll be able to afford a varadero.

2) Yamaha DT125 with road tyres

3) Failing any of the above, anything decent you can afford.

To be clear, any 125 should be able to drag you around. Will it be slow? Guess what, they're all as slow as gently caress, so if you want one to commute on or because you're too young/poor for the full licence, I'd concentrate on getting one in good mechanical condition. Sadly, there's a premium on legal 125s due to the CBT route and people buying them as commuters.

Saga fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 4, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

judenhauer posted:

If I remember correctly a shitload of Kawasaki KH125's were sold in the UK a few decades back. If they're still around, take a look at them.

Cyanophyta
Apr 24, 2008

n8r posted:

fatguyindenial.txt
:btroll:
Haha, I know, but the point still stands that I'll be limited to a 125 for a bit so I'll need to choose one that won't destroy my back and will let me get some experience before I move up.

e: whoa had this reply box sitting up for a while, thanks for the advice guys.

Had a friend of a friend mention he had a suzuki gx125 for sale but I don't know how much he's asking for it

Cyanophyta fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 4, 2012

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What up.

I just got a job promotion. I'd like to plan on purchasing a new/used motorcycle this time next year :)

I currently have an SV650 that I've been riding for the past 3 years.

I like fairings, and sport bikes. I really want a Daytona 675 Triple.

However, I don't have a dedicated Triumph bike shop where I live - West Texas.

Any other suggestions? IRC hates Suzuki, is this a consensus?

BTW I live near no twisties, so I'm not even worried about that.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Captain Apollo posted:

I really want a Daytona 675 Triple...I live near no twisties, so I'm not even worried about that.

Well I guess your life isn't in danger then.

Nothing wrong with the zukes'

If you're picking a Japanese 600, go with which one you like the looks of most... the rest is mostly negligible.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I think there is a definite difference in build quality between Honda/Yamaha and Suzuki/Kawasaki. They might be equally as reliable but you will find a Honda/Yamaha much better bolted together and more intelligently designed.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Intelligently designed is a plus. I lost a LOT of bolts/screws on that stupid sv650s because the fairings are retarded.

Honda CBR600 or 1000 really appeal to me too.

I liked the 04 or 05 GSXR as well.

But that Daytona is calling to me

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

I think there is a definite difference in build quality between Honda/Yamaha and Suzuki/Kawasaki. They might be equally as reliable but you will find a Honda/Yamaha much better bolted together and more intelligently designed.

Well, I guess there's a first time for everything, but someone's clearly never taken apart a modern CBR or R6, jesus christ so many fiddly fairing bits, not to mention the occasional bonus up yours of of frame spars over spark plug holes, getting the valve covers off, etc.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 4, 2012

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

Intelligently designed is a plus. I lost a LOT of bolts/screws on that stupid sv650s because the fairings are retarded.

Honda CBR600 or 1000 really appeal to me too.

I liked the 04 or 05 GSXR as well.

But that Daytona is calling to me

If you live near no twisties, what's the appeal of a sportsbike? For trackdays?

I'd pick up a nice tourer if I lived in a flat, dry, cornerless land. R1200RT, etc.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Because bros man... bros..

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

n8r posted:

There's been a lot of lovely builds from all of them. The same model of the same brand might be build in Japan, China or Brazil depending of year. There'll be a huge difference in quality for some of them.

Generally Honda and Suzuki has had the better build quality over the last decades, with a slight lead to Honda. Suzuki has always had the best product for the money though. Yamaha and Kawasaki has made some lovely decisions regarding quality from time to time. The quality lead here belongs to Yamaha though.

All of them make really good motorcycles, if you know what to buy and what to avoid.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

n8r posted:

... bros..

Oh cool I love those guys!

Which one is Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The one on the right.

So am I buying a Daytona or not?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I don't really think any motorcycle is difficult to work on. Sure, compared to other bikes I can see why the presumption is there, but you don't have to scrape nearly as many knuckles or risk head-crushing injuries bench pressing 75lb transmissions out of the underbellies of junk cars caked with oil as you do with motorcycles. Trying to do really stupidly designed valve jobs on crazy moon horses with faces that look like fishes eating donuts might be rage-inducing and confusing at times, but at least you don't need an 8 foot engine hoist and 200 cubic feet of space to do any significant work. :unsmith:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

Honda has made some bikes that are a royal bitch to work on.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Captain Apollo posted:

The one on the right.

So am I buying a Daytona or not?

If you only have straight lines, why bother? Get something with wind protection, good fuel economy, luggage and a rockin' (Bros, naturally) sound system. K1600, R1200, Victory Vision (!)...

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

Saga posted:

If you only have straight lines, why bother? Get something with wind protection, good fuel economy, luggage and a rockin' (Bros, naturally) sound system. K1600, R1200, Victory Vision (!)...

gently caress these people. Buy the daytona and live out your dreams behind the controls of superior british engineering. There is no other choice.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

n8r posted:

As a former CBX1000 owner that wrenched that pile of poo poo for close to a decade, I can confirm that this is the truth.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Sir Cornelius posted:

As a former CBX1000 owner that wrenched that pile of poo poo for close to a decade, I can confirm that this is the truth.

Add to that anything with a V4. *shakes fist*

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Nerobro posted:

Add to that anything with a V4. *shakes fist*

My psychotherapist tells me to avoid any conversation regarding that subject. VF&%¤%¤#"¤"#&%/!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sir Cornelius posted:

Former! No, the world it is a changin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

n8r posted:

Someone buy my magna.