Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Slopehead posted:

Now, I don't know if there is a working version for your phone, but I've had great luck with V6 Supercharger tweaks package. Essentially it gives you a bunch of different ram cutoffs and easily installs them. I stick with 512 leaded since that's for phones with 512 ram and has really reasonable cutoffs.

Seriously easy script, just make sure to run it as superuser assuming there is a functional version out for your phone. I can't really see why this wouldn't work for you seeing as how it has levels for 512/756/and 1gb ram. Either way, if you decide to run it make sure to do a full nandroid and have ADB setup to get into recovery. I don't want to be responsible for bricking your device.

Edit: Okay digging around this script looks like it can be used pretty universally on Gingerbread based roms, but I can't find anything substantiating functionality on ICS based roms. Feel like being a guinea pig?

Actually, between that and some weird network issues I was having, I decided to revert back to stock rooted. I'll wait until an official ICS ROM is released before I try that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

hooah posted:

I can't get Wireless Tether to work on my LTE GNex. When I start it up, it says that there were errors, and to check the log. The logo says that it couldn't set the ad-hoc mode, couldn't set the essid, couldn't set the channel, and couldn't activate encryption. What am I doing wrong?

Are you using the built-in wireless tether in the OS or are you using WiFi Tether (yellow radio icon) app? If so, changing your device profile and using the Routing Fix may kick things into place for you.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ssjonizuka posted:

on the topic of SGS2 - I haven't been paying attention recently, but finally decided to jump into root after running stock for over half a year. (att, sgh-i777)

I ended up using the zedomax method, and it worked great - only to find out a few days later that my wifi screwed up. I've been doing some light research only to discover after the fact that quite a few people have had the same issue, but are having varied luck in correcting it. Has anyone else here seen that?

I hate to be That Guy, but I suggest you look at this XDA thread for how to return to "normal" and then at this thread for how to root. I rooted using option #4 (at the end of the post) using Linux and it was easy as pie.

I'm one of those people that obsessed over flash counters and the like, and this method worked for me and I've been a CM9 nightlies whore ever since.

Aoifern
Oct 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recently flashed cm7 on my incredible 2. I did not know too much about governors before hand, and was wondering if it would be worth it to get smartass v2 or keep the ondemand one.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Craptacular! posted:

I hate to be That Guy, but I suggest you look at this XDA thread for how to return to "normal" and then at this thread for how to root. I rooted using option #4 (at the end of the post) using Linux and it was easy as pie.

I'm one of those people that obsessed over flash counters and the like, and this method worked for me and I've been a CM9 nightlies whore ever since.

I essentially did that and have been running ok ever since. Decided to fore-go any ICS roms for the time being.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Aoifern posted:

I recently flashed cm7 on my incredible 2. I did not know too much about governors before hand, and was wondering if it would be worth it to get smartass v2 or keep the ondemand one.

Keeping Ondemand is fine. The only time I've ever switched is when a certain governor is suggested for a custom kernel.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have the LTE GNex with rooted ICS and recently it's started telling me there's a system update available. What happens if I update it? Will it brick my phone? Should I unroot and unlock before implementing it?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I have the LTE GNex with rooted ICS and recently it's started telling me there's a system update available. What happens if I update it? Will it brick my phone? Should I unroot and unlock before implementing it?

It will probably just not be able to install since you don't have the stock bootloader. Or it might install and unroot your phone. I don't think it will brick your phone, or at least the times I did this with my EVO, it didn't. I haven't ever tried it on my GNex though.

Either way, I'd suggest not doing it and simply wait until the ROM makers incorporate the update.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is actually the first time I've seen this, and I've had the phone since the GNex came out. I'm running stock ICS that's just rooted and unlocked. I guess I'll hunt around for the latest version and use that so I don't have to deal with this reminder popping up every time I wake up the phone.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I am using the latest CM7 with my HTC inspire 4g and I am getting very low wifi speeds to my home wireless N router, it shows that I am connected at 54mbps. I am broadcasting the signal as mixed b/g/n, my other devices do not have this issue. Any advice?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I rooted my AT&T One X last night. I'm going to run the bootloader unlock workaround tonight. What's the best way to backup all my data so that I can restore my phone so that it appears exactly the same as it used to?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Install OTA Rootkeeper from the market then apply the update. It will work fine if you haven't changed any system files.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mr. Powers posted:

So, I rooted my AT&T One X last night. I'm going to run the bootloader unlock workaround tonight. What's the best way to backup all my data so that I can restore my phone so that it appears exactly the same as it used to?

I'm awesome. I was so excited that I forgot to do any sort of backing up before unlocking. Pro.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm awesome. I was so excited that I forgot to do any sort of backing up before unlocking. Pro.

I wouldn't worry too much, you can download a stock rom just like you can any other rom.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

I wouldn't worry too much, you can download a stock rom just like you can any other rom.

I don't think that helps you when all your data is gone.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I tried allowing the OTA update and it reset, turning into the little dead android with red exclamation point icon. I pulled the battery and reset into recovery mode, and when I restarted it had no problems. There's no option for an OTA update anymore. Will it come back?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I tried allowing the OTA update and it reset, turning into the little dead android with red exclamation point icon. I pulled the battery and reset into recovery mode, and when I restarted it had no problems. There's no option for an OTA update anymore. Will it come back?
Now I'm not positive, but I think the update is still in /cache and that if you boot to recovery, hit whatever the key combo is to go into the actual recovery menu, and try to apply it you can.

However you never should have ended up at the recovery screen if you just tried to apply the OTA from the notification. Did you make any changes to /system?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yo a little heads up but I have been reading up on reviews for most popular busybox installers and the latest update to 1.20 is failing on virtually all of them, then wiping out the prior install directory causing rampant chaos. Everything from hijacking wifi dhcp settings to yanking root, if comments are to be believed. :siren:If you have been pestered to update do not do it. :siren:

I already had to do a full phone reflash thanks to this idiocy (wifi issues discussed over in general android) and will be writing an angry letter in the morning.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Penguissimo posted:

It's no big deal, except that the Swipe installer is broken. Stuck with stock HTC keyboard. Also, I lost all my temple run achievements, but I can just get those again.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...

Penguissimo posted:

Doh, yea, read that wrong. Back up to the ~cloud~ or your SD card.

Bhm
Apr 18, 2002

"I died a mineral, and became a plant. I died a plant and rose an animal. I died an animal and I was man. Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?"
I'm having trouble with the sound quality in my Jawbone Era after installing a prerelease ICS ROM a few months ago. I'm on a GT-I9100 Samsung Galaxy S II.

I now have an official stock rooted ICS ROM but the mic quality is still poo poo. The thing is that people can barely hear what I'm saying due to the poo poo quality.
I mean, the Era is supposedly the best handsfree out there. I don't care about a2dp or any other crap like that. I just want to use it for calls.

Is there a way to update the radio part of the phone without touching the ROM itself? And if so where can I find the file for that? My google fu here is weak.

Any ideas?

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007

Bhm posted:

I'm having trouble with the sound quality in my Jawbone Era after installing a prerelease ICS ROM a few months ago. I'm on a GT-I9100 Samsung Galaxy S II.

I now have an official stock rooted ICS ROM but the mic quality is still poo poo. The thing is that people can barely hear what I'm saying due to the poo poo quality.
I mean, the Era is supposedly the best handsfree out there. I don't care about a2dp or any other crap like that. I just want to use it for calls.

Is there a way to update the radio part of the phone without touching the ROM itself? And if so where can I find the file for that? My google fu here is weak.

Any ideas?

Yeah, you can flash just the modem through CWM. Google to find the best baseband for your carrier and look in this thread for instructions.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1277593

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I could use some tethering input. I'd like to take my psvita online more but I have no access to any wifi where I work. If I tether with my rooted galaxy nexus, would the kind of data my games would be using get Verizon's attention? Losing my unlimited would be not nice.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Lothire posted:

I could use some tethering input. I'd like to take my psvita online more but I have no access to any wifi where I work. If I tether with my rooted galaxy nexus, would the kind of data my games would be using get Verizon's attention? Losing my unlimited would be not nice.

What are the capabilities of your wireless router at home? There may be a chance you could turn on logging and play some PSVita for an hour to get a perspective on how much data is being used.

In a general sense, if you're not regularly exceeding 3-4GB a month as an unlimited user, you'll probably be just fine.

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Is there any other preferred ICS rom for the HTC inspire 4g? MUIU was ok but did not work as well as I expected. I am still running CM7, any idea why CM9 is not being made for this phone?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
While I can't speak specifically for the Inspire 4g, it does puzzle me as well that there won't be an update considering it runs on exactly the same platform as the Desire HD. I can only think that the lack of an update has to do with CDMA driver issues, but even then that feels like a weak excuse to me.

As specifically for the current go to ICS rom, that's also a toughie. Without the proper drivers for the Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon, some stuff is going to be spotty or just simply not work. The most common issues are GPS, wifi dropout, non-functioning camera, major graphical issues, and the like. All I can say is hold out and wait for the Desire HD ICS update come August and hopefully that will help solidify CM9 development.

I know CM7 is feeling very long in the tooth, believe me I too am stuck on it for the time being. Just have patience and if you really need a change of pace, try out one of the cleaned stock roms or Android Revolution. Those are quite nice for sense 3 and I enjoyed 'em even though my phone can't really run Sense 3 with great stability for long.

Edit: I don't know if the Virtuous Rom team supports the Inspire 4g but you might look into their offerings. I've generally had good luck with their roms.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Anyone know what resolution the icons on the CM9 lock screen need to be to change them? I have targets set up for Google Music, Instagram, and GN Flashlight, but the icons are colored and ugly compared to the rest of the lock screen. I made a couple 32x32 icons but they won't show up in the browser if I select them.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan

ProjektorBoy posted:

What are the capabilities of your wireless router at home? There may be a chance you could turn on logging and play some PSVita for an hour to get a perspective on how much data is being used.

In a general sense, if you're not regularly exceeding 3-4GB a month as an unlimited user, you'll probably be just fine.

Thanks. I've got verizon fios at home, but I'm unfamiliar with how to log internet data for particular devices. Maybe the router has a feature? Never really figured out how much online power my video games tend to use.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
If you have root, LBE Security has individual app bandwidth tracking via the internet firewall. Plus a breakdown for day by day usage of both wifi and mobile data.

\/\/\/ I'm not really sure what you're asking. Does sprint count data moved over "4G" from a separate data pool as 3G? The counter in LBE counts all data moved over mobile data on a day by day basis and wifi as well. However, on a per-app basis there isn't any distinction.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 7, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Slopehead posted:

If you have root, LBE Security has individual app bandwidth tracking via the internet firewall. Plus a breakdown for day by day usage of both wifi and mobile data.

Any clue if that'd also include Sprint 4G bandwidth as well? Evo3D if it matters at all

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Tortured By Flan
Looks like the WiFi Tether app worked, though it shut down my phone the first time I used it after configuring a file and gave me a "activation" message as though my phone plan had been deactivate/activated. Checked my account information and nothing was changed, so I'm assuming it was just a phone thing.

It has a download/upload counter, so I jumped into a UMVC3 lobby and watched about 5 matches. I figure a lobby would be more internet intensive than a quick match. Download 4.20mb, Upload 3.35mb. It hovered around 20-30kbps down and 20kbps up, with momentary high spikes (maybe 70kbps or so, for about 1 or 2 seconds) at the start of the match. Games ran real smoooth, too.

I couldn't say what I spend a month on uploading anything from the phone, I normally watch a netflix movie maybe once or twice a week if even and browse sites otherwise. Sometime last month was my first full month with the phone and it hit about 2gb, where my phones usage data has me logged at about 300mb currently. With all this considered, so long as I play online sparingly, I don't think it'll make a large difference in total data used every month.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

madkapitolist posted:

Is there any other preferred ICS rom for the HTC inspire 4g? MUIU was ok but did not work as well as I expected. I am still running CM7, any idea why CM9 is not being made for this phone?

CM9 IS being made for the phone, it's just not stable or available yet.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
ICE cold sandwich by lord clockan for DHD/inspire seems pretty good, no problems afaik except some camera glitches and no video camera. I wont use it as a daily because of that. But I've ran it for up to 3 days at a time (more than a month ago) and it was pretty slick. Has aokp good stuff in it.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 8, 2012

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Was directed here by the ereader thread.
Okay, I guess this is a good place to ask this. Since it covers like 10. Different threads but all related to eraders
I'd really like to use either the fire or nook tablet as a tablet / apps on my phone replacement.
At this point most of my time is spent in front of my phone, not my 8 year old powerbook.
I recently bought my wife a kindle fire , and was thinking about the possibility of asking one or a nook for fathers day.
How well does the nook after being rooted work as a tablet with cm9 ICS on it?
How restricted are the apps on the kindle, especially with sideloading.?
Does it work okay? How easy is it to brick the kindle trying to root it and flash it? (although the lack of physical buttons kind of turns me off in this regard)

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Slopehead (or anyone else that has a G2/Desire Z): Have you been keeping up on the state of the ICS/Sense 4 roms available? I'm particularly interested in the performance of the web browser because the last time I tried andromadus is was awful. I've been using Virtuous sense the last couple of months and I've learned that I like a lot of the little extra touches that HTC puts on android, but I'd like to try something newer and don't trust anyone on XDA who claims that a rom is "daily driver" material.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Cyanogen mod 9 is in beta 11 but you're still having to deal with wifi problems, system wakelock issues, launcher graphic issues and poo poo camera support. Inconsistent gps as well. Same old xda though. Point out an issue and some chucklefuck will go "that's not happening to me" blah blah.

One V ports are still kinda crappy and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

edit: oh camera is working as in you can take phots but they'll have a green bar on the bottom, no preview for first snap, and video is still mostly broken.

\/\/\/ Yeah there are still some issues but it's getting "better". I mean some people are actually reporting that everything is pretty much hunky dory. Wifi workin, GPS locks but slowly, graphic issues can be fixed by kicking the app out of memory, camera operates but you'll have to crop the resulting image, and "Android OS" doesn't have a hard wakelock.

It's just very inconsistent as to whom this effects, so you have a lot of people calling bullshit and cluttering up the troubleshooting and fixing process. Not to mention it's XDA, who is run by incompetent ninnies and populated by people who in general couldn't find their rear end with an atlas and two handlers showing them the right general direction.

The senior staff seems more concerned with "no cursing or disrespecting anyone" and has even implemented a site wide language filter rather than making sure that if you have a problem post a drat logcat. That would go far further in the right direction towards making XDA not a total clusterfuck than any amount of sensitivity training or language censoring. I've had to deal with the senior staff on more than one occasion concerning this and it drives me absolutely bonkers.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 9, 2012

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
CM9 for g2 is garbage in my eyes.
I had poo poo battery, and tons of apps would give me the close don't close error. It really is just too much for the g2. Sucks with how awesome ICS is on my tab. :(.

I liked it, but it was far from a daily. I haven't played with it for probably 2 months at this point for what its worth.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

tater_salad posted:

Was directed here by the ereader thread.
Okay, I guess this is a good place to ask this. Since it covers like 10. Different threads but all related to eraders
I'd really like to use either the fire or nook tablet as a tablet / apps on my phone replacement.
At this point most of my time is spent in front of my phone, not my 8 year old powerbook.
I recently bought my wife a kindle fire , and was thinking about the possibility of asking one or a nook for fathers day.
How well does the nook after being rooted work as a tablet with cm9 ICS on it?
How restricted are the apps on the kindle, especially with sideloading.?
Does it work okay? How easy is it to brick the kindle trying to root it and flash it? (although the lack of physical buttons kind of turns me off in this regard)

I had a nook color, rooted, tried everything, sold it. Bought a kindle fire refurb special. Rooted it.

At first when I got the kindle, around march, there was nothing setting it apart from anything. It had ICS but it had no hardware acceleration-- so apps like netflix, hulu, youtube, and some music apps weren't working. Just recently though, a coder has coded an awesome kernel that allows for acceleration-- so the kindle fire has taken off.

The rom I use is called gedeROM. Check it out on XDA if you want to get a picture of it-- its stable, fast, smooth, and has no sleep of death issues. I play some games on it to pass time (Rebuild, World of Goo), listen to music on spotify, read on kindle, and watch HBO GO a lot as well. I don't know what you want to use your tablet for, but thats what I use my Fire for and it works perfectly. Plus the screen is loving beautiful.

As far as rooting the kindle-- it was pretty easy. Yeah its possible to brick it, but its also possible to brick robust phones like the GNex or HTC Inc. Just follow instructions and the root is easy. The most popular way is a Kindle Fire Toolkit (easy to find on XDA)-- it'll also help you install recoveries. (word to the wise-- on kindle fire, only use Team Win Recovery Project, do not use CWM). I thought I had bricked mine once but it was because I flashed a rom with CWM and not TWRP. I was still able to access recovery through all of it.

I didn't stay on the stock software long after rooting because I was a huge fan of ICS (I'm a GNex owner) and not a huge fan of gingerbread (well, after having ICS). Most new development is ICS. There are other gingerbread roms out there (CM7, for example) and I know those focus on stability, battery life, and sleeping stability. Then there are modified versions of the stock software.

Any questions about it, do ask. I was in the same boat as you as far as choosing a tablet.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

How stable is the current ICS build for the kindle?
Also how does ICS like the no physical buttons aspect. Honestly I really don't like that about my wife's fire (which I won't root for fear of death)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

tater_salad posted:

How stable is the current ICS build for the kindle?
Also how does ICS like the no physical buttons aspect. Honestly I really don't like that about my wife's fire (which I won't root for fear of death)

Rooting my Fire was a cinch, and it runs smooth as hell on ICS. Lack of physical buttons isn't a problem, it puts them on the bottom bar