Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Ha, of course that would be the free one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

LiquidRain posted:

There is a free car, the Cygnet.

It's also the worst driving car in the game stock.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

Doesn't the Cygnet only exist to be a huge troll on the EU's fleet fuel efficiency requirements anyway? I swear I read someplace that you can't even buy one unless you already own an Aston Martin.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

It's a $30k Toyota IQ with leather and an Aston fascia. It only exists so that Aston Martin can increase the average MPG across their entire product line, yeah. Which is actually not a bad rule, but if car makers are just going to be fuckwads about it like this, I'm not sure I see the point.

I still kinda want to drive it. I hope it's as mad as the smart car when you upgrade it.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

ANAmal.net posted:

It's a $30k Toyota IQ with leather and an Aston fascia. It only exists so that Aston Martin can increase the average MPG across their entire product line, yeah. Which is actually not a bad rule, but if car makers are just going to be fuckwads about it like this, I'm not sure I see the point.

The point is they wouldn't be allowed to sell cars in the EU if they didn't meet that MPG goal (I think, or maybe they'd just get fined into oblivion) and nobody is going to look to a high-end luxury marque for a city car anyway, so may as well just badge engineer the gently caress out of it and have it be a novelty PR item. That way they get the government off their backs and can use their resources on making cars that are actually desirable.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I still maintain that it's "Not That Bad TM!"

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Yeah but the point of the rule is to make car companies actually improve fuel efficiency on their model range, not game the system with stupid city cars that no one will ever buy.

I don't know what the actual target MPG numbers are, so I don't know if it'd be possible for them to meet it without resorting to stuff like this, but it totally defeats the purpose of the regulations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fuel economy regulations are always bullshit in the face of consumer demand. The ones here in the US are just as openly / easily gamed; the PT Cruiser stuck around forever because its flat load floor let it count as a truck and help offset much of the Ram lineup's emissions. Just having a car be capable of operation on E85 gets it a big boost in "mileage" as well.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

ANAmal.net posted:

I still kinda want to drive it. I hope it's as mad as the smart car when you upgrade it.

Surprisingly competitive in B-class races. Some pubbies were using them like pros.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Fuel economy regulations are always bullshit in the face of consumer demand. The ones here in the US are just as openly / easily gamed; the PT Cruiser stuck around forever because its flat load floor let it count as a truck and help offset much of the Ram lineup's emissions. Just having a car be capable of operation on E85 gets it a big boost in "mileage" as well.

Pretty much, yeah. SUV's being classified as trucks to let manufacturers fudge their MPG numbers is a pretty blatant example of how the quotas are little more than political sabre rattling.

Topic change: The Maserati Ghibli Cup is a drat good car at stock, and according to Wikipedia it has a greater per-liter output than a Ferrari F40.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I still maintain that it's "Not That Bad TM!"

A bunch of us drove it last night around Catalunya and bitched the whole time. It has way too much body roll combined with a short wheelbase and FWD layout. It also feeling like it's gonna do an endo every time you brake hard in it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Falken posted:

Put some holeshots, centerlines or American racing wheels on that de luxe for crying out loud, Jarf.

Cragars. Must use cragars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

It also feeling like it's gonna do an endo every time you brake hard in it.
And the problem with this is...what exactly?

Were you driving them stock? With some tuning you can make it pretty neat-o.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Make your Cygnet RWD and give it 300hp, which is what it maxes out at, IIRC. Then it is fun and awesome.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Were you driving them stock? With some tuning you can make it pretty neat-o.

Well yes, that was the whole point of posting:

As a side note, we drove several of the new cars stock. The Ford and the Beetle were fun as poo poo. Everyone was sideways at turn 1 in Seca in the Beetle. It also drives terribly, but the fun kind of terrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As a side note, we drove several of the new cars stock. The Ford and the Beetle were fun as poo poo. Everyone was sideways at turn 1 in Seca in the Beetle. It also drives terribly, but the fun kind of terrible.

It settles down nicely when you put the fattest tires you can on it. It does tend to tank slap badly when you lose grip (which I might be able to fix with tuning at some point) but up until that point I'm quite surprised how well the beetle handles.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
New Community Bounty is the Oh, What a Celica monthly rivals event. Thread at Forza's forums is here. They're also having a vote on what unicorn car to award.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

New Community Bounty is the Oh, What a Celica monthly rivals event. Thread at Forza's forums is here. They're also having a vote on what unicorn car to award.

I really hate the community. They keep voting for things that aren't the NSX-R GT. I think that's the only unicorn I don't have yet that I actually car to have.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

That and the M3 GTR.

Only BMW I am missing (Including all the DLC Bimmers)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've got doubles of a bunch of dumb unicorns, but the ONE unicorn I actually want is one you can only get by random chance each week by doing one of the events.

Kaddion
Jan 12, 2008

My gosh, you're right Sam! THE GORILLA SHOULD BE DRIVING!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Looks like you cut the right-hander a little tight and then hit the curbing on the left just right.

I actually rolled it going wide somehow, one of the flips rolled me back out into the road.

TannhauserGate
Nov 25, 2007

by garbage day
Random impressions to flip the bird to people who don't have it yet:

-Beetle has a roof rack hell yeah. People are correct in saying that it's awful in a fun way. I'd love a stock Fujimi Downhill with some friends. Upgrading everything except suspension makes it a fun physics-tester. (Body) Roll that beautiful bean footage.
-There's so much crap to stick on the Celica. I can't tell if it's awesome or hilarious. Both. The spare tire on the MG may be the best spare tire in the game.
-You are correct to say the stock Cygnet is the worst car in the game. How can a car have that much bodyroll and dangerous wobble at street speeds? It's like if an Aygo had a Hummer sitting slightly forward on its roof.
-The Dee Luxe may be the best car in the game just by existing. You don't even need to drive it, just having it in your garage makes the game better.
:allears:

I want the game where every single race car is taken out and we just get tons of old beaters like this.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Drive aggressively and carry a Senna-sized door:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr8Y1v4FWOI

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Welp, just got my first 4-bar drift ever. The car?

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

speedtek posted:

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

:kiddo: He looks so happy

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
So if you use all the weight saving upgrades on a Beetle, then add the engine mods that add power and reduce weight, you can get an F100 Beetle with 62HP, 102 LB-FT that only weighs 1468 LBS. This is a fun little car!

edit: I didn't want to go over F100.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
F200, but yeah:

Rather than double-post, I'll edit here to to share a teaser from tonight's GTCC Classic Car Concourse:

This new car pack is pretty much awesome.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 7, 2012

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRsKQsp3Y74 - Fun with S700 Beetles from the AUGR garage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Went to build a car last night and then got motion sickness trying to play. Suffering from NoroVirus from Cuba. Oh well !

backifran
Mar 22, 2009

I love BYOB
found my new favourite A class racer - and it's a vauxhall! (sort of)

Put the 90s police paintjob on it as a joke to troll pubbie games but had an absolute blast with it. Just by coincidence I was fighting for second to fourth places with two other lotuses on two consecutive races.

Didn't expect my barge to beat the other two but it did, twice! (though the orange lotus driver was awful, the second pic was just before he went into the side of me - his angle wasn't quite right)

e: looking at it I was the one in the wrong, oops

backifran fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 7, 2012

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there any way to start at driver level 1 at the start of the first series other than deleting your save?

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Finally got around to some replays.

Soccer physics glitches are awesome.

Sockington makes a mess of my aero on LeMans and walks away scot-free.

Sockington still hasn't learned his lesson in that car.

And finally, at long last, ladies and gentlemen: THE GOAL.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Why you should always join Cubivore lobbies:

quote:

21:48 burtonos: look
21:48 burtonos: your just a lovely host
21:48 burtonos: you make bad decisions
21:49 burtonos: and that's the end of it
21:49 burtonos: 10 laps with ai?
21:49 burtonos: puybby races are more fun than your lobbies

So if you aren't already in on this poo poo, you really ought to start now!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I trust Bentron, he makes good lobbies.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Why you should always join Cubivore lobbies:

quote:

21:48 burtonos: look
21:48 burtonos: your just a lovely host
21:48 burtonos: you make bad decisions
21:49 burtonos: and that's the end of it
21:49 burtonos: 10 laps with ai?
21:49 burtonos: puybby races are more fun than your lobbies

So if you aren't already in on this poo poo, you really ought to start now!

Did you actually quote irc? I didn't think we were supposed to do that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I broke it.

I somehow built a BMW that does power wheelies exiting corners.

edit: a 224hp B500 BMW

Powershift fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 8, 2012

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!
Sorry about the poo poo replay camera, but whoooops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4wzSnoh_lQ

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

PopeOnARope posted:

Sorry about the poo poo replay camera, but whoooops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4wzSnoh_lQ

At least this time you only took yourself out.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Noooo not the bike rack! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
10 laps with AI. I know that's what I'm looking for in a good lobby.

Bentron lobbies are my personal favorite. His random "no lol-racin'" lobbies are the reason I have so many cars tuned and ready for F-A Class. I now have many.
I've been in some Cubivore lobbies and it is fair to say that they can be an acquired taste. Just fine for some. He's a fan of forcing gimmick races in stock cars and that's fun sometimes; but other times it just seems like it goes off the rails into "ok this time only crowbars and bunnyhopping" and, to me, I'm not enthused.

Still, IRC isn't this thread, and IRC stuff should probably stay there. Posting chatlogs is, I was pretty sure, frowned upon.

My lobbies are Bentron-inspired, and people seem to like them ok. Unless you're a big fan of R3+, then I will disappoint you. I do enjoy hosting on the weekends.

I'll be sad when the community shrinks and splinters as interest wanes, but I'll be really happy when we all meet up for FM5 again!

O and yeah, you've never seen a Dr. Faustus lobby, that's because my GT is Captain Howdy 0 and people don't always make the connection.

[edit]
I dunno about the little train-wreck on LeMans, Rainwave. The more I watch that, the more I feel that I was pressing too hard and not braking properly and when Sock and I got into the sand the rest was just kinda inevitable. If that's the case, I do apologize.

I get the feeling, from the replays and descriptions of events on the track Wednesday night, that lag may have been a culprit in several car contact incidents being much worse than they normally would. Like that time on Bernie's when what looked like minor contact created this massive damage. Watching the replay it looked like Swede barely tapped Synmoo:

[/edit]

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 8, 2012

• Locked thread