Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rockybar posted:

I have an iMac from 2009 and whenever it goes into sleep mode, i.e. after you leave it for a while such that it's screen turns off, it disconnects from WiFi and is pretty anal about reconnecting, such that I usually have to turn it's WiFi on and off to get it to reconnect. Is there any way to keep it permanently connected? The WiFi on it is pretty dodgy anyway.

In all serious, just run wires to your desktop. It prevents headaches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
That's a workaround for the problem, not a solution.

The Wifi on my Mac Mini has had zero problems. I leave the machine on 24/7 and its connected 24/7. I'm not sure I have a solution about your iMacs sleep-mode, however you can turn off it's ability to sleep and just have the display turn off (which it sounds like it does). It could be a problem with your router (dropping connections that are idle), Mac Hardware problem, or a software problem.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Connecting it to the router isn't feasible due to the fact that it's on a different floor to the router. I'll have a look at changing the sleep mode. A few issues have cropped up since upgrading to Lion, and I think the hardware itself is a bit dodgy. The hard drive has already failed twice since we bought it 3 years ago.

King of Gulps
Sep 4, 2003

Rockybar posted:

Connecting it to the router isn't feasible due to the fact that it's on a different floor to the router. I'll have a look at changing the sleep mode. A few issues have cropped up since upgrading to Lion, and I think the hardware itself is a bit dodgy. The hard drive has already failed twice since we bought it 3 years ago.

I had a similar issue with wifi; before I said screw it and ran Ethernet, the easiest way to get it working was to make some (any) change to the DNS settings (like literally just adding or deleting 8.8.8.8 would get it working again) :confused:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

King of Gulps posted:

I had a similar issue with wifi; before I said screw it and ran Ethernet, the easiest way to get it working was to make some (any) change to the DNS settings (like literally just adding or deleting 8.8.8.8 would get it working again) :confused:

You could run a cronjob on the system to ping https://www.google.com or something once every minute. That would maybe keep your connection alive all the time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

jwoven posted:

If I wanted to fresh-install Lion, does this sound about right:

1) Download Lion from the Appstore
2) Extract the Install ESD from the package contents
3) Format a USB thumbdrive
4) Restore the InstallESD.dmg onto said USB thumbdrive
5) Shutdown, pull out the old HDD, swap in the new SSD
6) Plug in the newly created USB drive, boot while holding down option, select the USB drive, install.

Don't see anything wrong about this.

quote:

Can I install Snow Leopard instead?

Only if your Mac (which model you didnt state) came with Snow Leopard on DVDs at time of purchase.

quote:

If I hook up my old hard drive via a USB enclosure, could I access Library from that drive? (For example, if I wanted to copy my Safari Extensions, which are located in ~/Library/Safari/Extensions, could I do that?)

Sure, but don't expect the OS to use both directories.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, spilled a whole bottle of water onto my MBP about 10 minutes ago - it immediately powered off. My life flashed before my eyes. Pulled it apart and dried it, still works. :psypop:
...and as of today it has stopped charging. :( Wonder if I can just replace the magsafe board or if it's more than that.
edit: loving with the magsafe thing allows it to charge eventually.
edit2: Charging is extremely slow now. Thank baby jesus new MBPs next week......

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 7, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

...and as of today it has stopped charging. :( Wonder if I can just replace the magsafe board or if it's more than that.
edit: loving with the magsafe thing allows it to charge eventually.
edit2: Charging is extremely slow now. Thank baby jesus new MBPs next week......

Charging is handled by the SMC, which is on the logic board, and the magsafe board. If you took it to a Fruit Stand they have several diagnostics that could help you figure out what's at fault.

Still, tough way to justify an upgrade.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It's wayyy out of warranty, but they'd still run diagnostics for free?

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

If I buy a Crucial M4 for my late 2011 MacBook Pro, what do I need to do to get it working optimally? Both SATA channels are 6Gbit and I vaguely recall reading that this matters.

If I go through with it, I'll probably put the SSD where the old drive is and either leave it at that or mount a larger drive in the optical bay for storage.

The devil on my shoulder is telling me to sell it now to maximise resale value and pick up something Ivy Bridge next week (or whenever it becomes available), but it's hard to decide what to do. The Air-style chassis is definitely a selling point for me, as is the potential high res screen.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You just plug it in. I used TRIM Enabler 2.0 as well but you can also just use Terminal to enable it.

Oh, make sure it has the latest 0309 firmware. If it doesn't you can just update it at any time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

It's wayyy out of warranty, but they'd still run diagnostics for free?

You could always call them and ask if it's possible for them to at least check it out; if they agree, at the very worst you'd be out the time it takes to bring it in and they'd just tell you it'd cost umpteen dollars to fix.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

You just plug it in. I used TRIM Enabler 2.0 as well but you can also just use Terminal to enable it.

Oh, make sure it has the latest 0309 firmware. If it doesn't you can just update it at any time.

Awesome, thank you.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Finally installed my new M4 into my Mini.

Crucial's QC is bad and so the sata and power connector were about 1/16 too far off, and that 1/16 was exactly what you needed to fit the drive in.
It was a bitch.

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore
Is it possible to get miniport->dual-link dvi connectors for 2011-model Macbook pros? My boss wants 'cheaper' alternatives to Thunderbolt displays. I'm arguing we need more pixels if we want to do Storyboard iPad development.

I've found two alternatives:

Dell UltraSharp U2711
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260038

Seems the better alternative, for a high-quality display

HP ZR2740w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176242

seems like a POS but it's the cheapest. I'm a little concerned about compatibility.

We need 2 monitors, one is for a 15" early 2011 mbp (AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB) and the other is a 13" (Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB).

Is there any reason these laptops won't work with either of these monitors?

Is there a better argument for thunderbolt displays? Or against?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

LordLobo posted:

Is it possible to get miniport->dual-link dvi connectors for 2011-model Macbook pros? My boss wants 'cheaper' alternatives to Thunderbolt displays. I'm arguing we need more pixels if we want to do Storyboard iPad development.

I've found two alternatives:

Dell UltraSharp U2711
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260038

Seems the better alternative, for a high-quality display

HP ZR2740w
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176242

seems like a POS but it's the cheapest. I'm a little concerned about compatibility.

We need 2 monitors, one is for a 15" early 2011 mbp (AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB) and the other is a 13" (Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB).

Is there any reason these laptops won't work with either of these monitors?

Is there a better argument for thunderbolt displays? Or against?

Can't you just use Displayport? DP-dual-link-DVI adapters are like $100 and use a USB port (for power)

LordLobo
Dec 12, 2003

Not
gonna
take it
anymore

Bob Morales posted:

Can't you just use Displayport? DP-dual-link-DVI adapters are like $100 and use a USB port (for power)

I think I could - is there a recommended cable to use?

Though to be honest, a $100 cable would make the cost pretty similar to Thunderbolt displays anyway.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
MDP to DP cables are cheap as heck.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6006&seq=1&format=2

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LordLobo posted:

I think I could - is there a recommended cable to use?

Though to be honest, a $100 cable would make the cost pretty similar to Thunderbolt displays anyway.

Monoprice has one for $69, which we all know is the funniest number.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Why do they even make a non-mini DP?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Bob Morales posted:

Why do they even make a non-mini DP?

My thinkpad and my 30" display both have regular displayport - no minidisiplayport without an adaptor

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I love me some Apple computers, but God drat, the situation with display technologies never ceases to be ridiculous. Adapters out the rear end, proprietary formats that never seem to get adopted even when they are made available.

Rabble rabble rabble.

edit: Why can't they just stick HDMI on the laptops and call it a day? That's my dream.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Lexicon posted:

I love me some Apple computers, but God drat, the situation with display technologies never ceases to be ridiculous. Adapters out the rear end, proprietary formats that never seem to get adopted even when they are made available.

Rabble rabble rabble.

edit: Why can't they just stick HDMI on the laptops and call it a day? That's my dream.

Mini display/thunderbolt are better than HDMI I believe. They also couldn't fit an HDMI on the macbook air, and they generally like having things be as similar as possible.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lexicon posted:

Rabble rabble rabble.

Because basically nothing can take high resolutions over HDMI.

If you are going to stick a video output on your space constrained laptop, why not make it the good one that can drive high resolution displays, and thats also the standard everyone is going to. Really, if you cant afford a $5-60 converter box, Apple isn't really worried about you.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Cygni posted:

If you are going to stick a video output on your space constrained laptop, why not make it the good one that can drive high resolution displays, and thats also the standard everyone is going to. Really, if you cant afford a $5-60 converter box, Apple isn't really worried about you.

According to Wikipedia, HDMI 1.4 can only do 1920x1200@60p.

while display port can do 3840 × 2160 @ 60p

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cygni posted:

I didn't realize that HDMI was so limited. I thought it was more or less equivalent to MDP, except, you know, actually widely used on TVS, external monitors, etc.

It's not that I can't afford a $5-60 converter box, I just want to live in a world where they aren't necessary, and I can stroll from workplace to workplace, from house to house, without carrying a bindle filled with adapters. I also want to live in a world in which everyone has a pony.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

echobucket posted:

According to Wikipedia, HDMI 1.4 can only do 1920x1200@60p.

while display port can do 3840 × 2160 @ 60p

Wow, ok, big difference. So why haven't other manufacturers of displays and laptops moved en mass to MDP, especially when Apple made the spec widely available? It's been out for years at this point.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Lexicon posted:

Wow, ok, big difference. So why haven't other manufacturers of displays and laptops moved en mass to MDP, especially when Apple made the spec widely available? It's been out for years at this point.

I think alot of mid range to higher end laptops DO come with MDP. HP's envy line, or the Thinkpad x2x0's too. Most desktop cards come with MDP too.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Lexicon posted:

There's more consumer call for HDMI and DVI, and mDP has only been a part of the official DP spec since DP 1.2, which is only supported by the Radeon 6000 and 7000 series and GeForce 600 series (most of which use mDP liberally). Additionally, for the few models with full-size DP ports, why not wait for Thunderbolt to re-engineer them? DP models are fairly high-end anyway, so they're good candidates for TB, so why spend engineering resources to sell something only for a few months between mDP becoming official and TB replacing it?

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mr. Despair posted:

I think alot of mid range to higher end laptops DO come with MDP. HP's envy line, or the Thinkpad x2x0's too. Most desktop cards come with MDP too.

I don't know about MDP but Dell stuff has DP all over the place. Latitudes, their monitors... all the ones I've seen anyway.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

Factory Factory posted:

why not wait for Thunderbolt to re-engineer them? DP models are fairly high-end anyway, so they're good candidates for TB, so why spend engineering resources to sell something only for a few months between mDP becoming official and TB replacing it?

The Thunderbolt spec is just PCIe multiplexed with DP over the same cable, except you need an active converter inside your display to demux it on the other side. For a display it's literally the exact same thing as DP, because it is DP. It's cheaper and easier to just take the DP signal path that you would need for TB anyway, and route it to an mDP connector, which takes up less space, and requires no additional onboard circuitry.

Edit: Realized you were talking about the source, not the monitor.

penneydude fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 8, 2012

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rockybar posted:

I have an iMac from 2009 and whenever it goes into sleep mode, i.e. after you leave it for a while such that it's screen turns off, it disconnects from WiFi and is pretty anal about reconnecting, such that I usually have to turn it's WiFi on and off to get it to reconnect. Is there any way to keep it permanently connected? The WiFi on it is pretty dodgy anyway.

I have the same exact problem on mine and it's brand new. I called my ISP and they set my router to a single channel vs having it scan and it seems to have helped a bit. It's still sort of a crapshoot.

Like Bob Morales said, just plugging it in is probably the best choice but it's not really an option in my case unless I want to spend $100 on an Xbox wifi adapter or run a cord across my whole apartment.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I think the reason tons of crap uses HDMI, is because the majority of PC monitors nowadays seem to be 1920x1080. Heck they even market them as "Full HD" :hurr:

Heck, look how many of the new ultra books still have VGA ports nowadays. The PC world likes to lag behind for some reason.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

Heck, look how many of the new ultra books still have VGA ports nowadays. The PC world likes to lag behind for some reason.

It's cheaper, that's why.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

echobucket posted:

It's also because a lot of business users require VGA to connect to their projectors for presentations and whatnot. It's still extremely rare to find a DVI let alone HDMI or DP cable in the average conference room.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Fatal posted:

It's also because a lot of business users require VGA to connect to their projectors for presentations and whatnot. It's still extremely rare to find a DVI let alone HDMI or DP cable in the average conference room.

I hate to just agree with stuff from Daring Fireball but as true as this reasoning might be, it's total BS when you can have dongles for the rare cases where you absolutely must have VGA (or S-video, or whatever), and where these ports impose constraints on the structure of the laptop.

Ultimately:

Bob Morales posted:

It's cheaper, that's why.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Yeah, and we are just elitist mac assholes with our fancy thunderbolt/mini-display ports.

Then the cheap PC guys make fun of us for needing a dongle. *sigh*

Edit: Also, up until recently at work I had two crappy HP 17" LCD monitors that had VGA connectors only. And that kind of blew my mind, because VGA is analog and DVI is digital and the LCD panel is digital, so doesn't the VGA connector require a Analog-to-Digital converter chip to make it work, while the DVI doesn't? So why is VGA cheaper again?

echobucket fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 8, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Didn't you read the Computex thread? A ton of PC mobos are going to get Thunderbolt hardware RSN.

Man, I just HATE the last few days before WWDC. I'm going into my hyper sleep tube now, someone wake me up Monday, or even Tuesday.

Edit: looooove the new thread title

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 8, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

echobucket posted:

Yeah, and we are just elitist mac assholes with our fancy thunderbolt/mini-display ports.

Then the cheap PC guys make fun of us for needing a dongle. *sigh*

Edit: Also, up until recently at work I had two crappy HP 17" LCD monitors that had VGA connectors only. And that kind of blew my mind, because VGA is analog and DVI is digital and the LCD panel is digital, so doesn't the VGA connector require a Analog-to-Digital converter chip to make it work, while the DVI doesn't? So why is VGA cheaper again?

It has to be cheaper to just use a VGA port. I hate LCD monitors with VGA ports only, they look like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
If you sell laptops without a VGA port you're basically guaranteeing people they can plug their laptop into any monitor. We use VGA connectors at work, plugging them into Samsung Syncmasters, because our computers have only one DVI output, and the quality is indistinguishable.