Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Smol posted:

Is there some general reason why save games might not be loading? (i.e. the roulette wheel just keeps spinning). Starting a new game and then loading the real save works, but I'd rather get to the source of the problem, if possible.

Load order (if it makes any difference):

If you have roulette wheel that seems to spin forever, you can do one of two things:
1. Start a new game and then load your problematic save.
2. Load an earlier save and then load your problematic save.

See if that fixes the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
So I have a couple of questions:

Does the Armory conflict with FOOK? Does CCO?

Do I really need to make a merged patch? Every time I try FNVEdit ignores the majority of my mods and only merges a handful.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Necroskowitz posted:

So I have a couple of questions:

Does the Armory conflict with FOOK? Does CCO?

Do I really need to make a merged patch? Every time I try FNVEdit ignores the majority of my mods and only merges a handful.

As long as you want to skip the leveled lists, the armory won't conflict with anything, even though the only way to access the weapons then is via cabinet. If you want to see the weapons in the world, you'll have to create a merged patch as long as anything changes the same leveled lists, which most mayor mods do in one way or the other. FNVEdit merge function just merges/overwrites things that it can merge/overwrite, it doesn't just copy all entries from all the mods, as that would be pointless. Do you mean this? You're supposed to still load all mods and then the merged esp at last. Creating a merged esp is often necessary but by no means a one-click fix.

Also don't use FOOK, it's a piece of poo poo and a bunch of shabbily thrown together modifications without any direction or goal.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 3, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I like FOOK :smith:

Does WMX conflict in any way with JSaywer?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Naky posted:

Molerat Boobs & Gecko Dongs

The original mod just had molerat boobs, but gecko dongs was heavily requested so I half assed did it and never finished it. This is where the happy geckos thing comes from, heh.

As for the rage; it just offended a bunch of people on Nexus who took the mod seriously because I was serious-posting both in the description and in the comments. They honestly thought I was trying to make the molerats more anatomically correct n' poo poo so it was ridiculously funny. People kept endorsing it and voting it FOTM which only further pissed off a few mod authors that apparently convinced the pedophile that runs Nexus to outright delete the mod rather than disable it/disqualify it for FOTM without any justification at all. When he finally got back to me, he said that the voting was clearly a SA goon rush despite the fact that we had only garnered 12 votes in over 2 weeks and were only sitting in second place. Funny thing? The author who was sitting in first place loved the mod and didn't care if he won or lost the FOTM - he legitimately thought it was a hilarious mod.

This is great. Just further shows what a shithole the Nexus is.

Yeah, I gave those a try but it ended up making everything slightly blurry and a lot of detail in the textures were lost so I passed on it. I suppose it is fully editable though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If you have roulette wheel that seems to spin forever, you can do one of two things:
1. Start a new game and then load your problematic save.
2. Load an earlier save and then load your problematic save.

See if that fixes the problem.
Like I said, that's what I'm doing. But it's just a workaround and I'd rather fix the real problem, if possible.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Smol posted:

Like I said, that's what I'm doing. But it's just a workaround and I'd rather fix the real problem, if possible.

Oh sorry I misunderstood what you originally said. You might be SOL on trying to fix the problem, though. Load a functioning save, then load your problematic save, then make a brand new save (don't overwrite an older one.) Delete the problematic save. See if you can load this new save without hanging on the loading screen.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Ok yet another crashing problem I'm hoping someone can help me with. I'm in Vault 106, and everything time I get to this long hallway after one of the hallucinations, the game just crashes to desktop on me. No clue if this is a mod issue, or just lovely luck with the game issue, and so far google can't find me anyone else who has had the same problem.
*edit* Nevermind, was able to find a fix for it on the Requiem for the Wasteland forums, but sadly it requires disabling the hallucinations in the vault to not crash. What a waste.

mrfreeze fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 3, 2012

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just a heads up that the new version of Requiem For The Capital Wasteland is due to be released sometime today. :dance:

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How do I fix conflicts in FNV Edit? I'm using FOOK + JSawyer, and the compatibility patch lets FOOK overwrite JSawyer's armor changes (fiend armor, merc armor, power armor, and whatever else) with its own. When I disable the patch, random weapons don't have their real life name, while others do. I prefer having the real names, and I've been used to FOOK doing that for a long time. Also, without the compatibility patch, some of its added textures are disabled. I figure I'll just have to edit the patch to use FOOK's textures and JSaywer's stats, but have no idea how.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm trying to install CCO but fallout mod manager just keeps crashing when I try to add it.

EDIT: Nevermind I'm an idiot.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 6, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Dig in and start reading here -

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/38413

It becomes really easy to do FNVEdit patches once you understand that. Basically, you'll be able to drag and drop the name of the gun over to your merged patch, and then move any stats over you want as well.

As long as jsawyer.esp loads last, you'll be fine in the automatic merged patch (I think.)

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
New version of Requiem For The Capital Wasteland is out: http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/Mods/46319

Pros:
  • No more navmesh issues
  • No duplicate items
  • A single merged master file
Cons:
  • No DLC support
  • 6GB worth of data to download, split among 8 files
  • Installation is just as convoluted as ever

Personally, I don't think it's going to be worth the effort until the DLC is supported, and then there's the question of whether or not mods will even be compatible with the new master. Still, if you're interested in running around in Vanilla FO3+NV, here's your answer.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That is a bummer. I gave up on trying to get it to work, because I need to have my mods.

That being said, FO3 is about as mod polished as you can get right now. I am waiting for Apocalypse Armory to support FWE and then I think I'll go stomping through the capital wasteland on that.

The IronSight guy still updates his mods as well, and I think there is a Weapon Mod Kits + Ironsights bridge out there now, which is sweet.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gyshall posted:

That being said, FO3 is about as mod polished as you can get right now. I am waiting for Apocalypse Armory to support FWE and then I think I'll go stomping through the capital wasteland on that.

Jesus Christ, they're still working on that? I remember that it was "just around the corner" 12 or 14 months ago.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Jesus Christ, they're still working on that? I remember that it was "just around the corner" 12 or 14 months ago.

Disinterest, real life, and burn out quickly adds a lot of time to modding though. The Armory 3.0's been a couple more mesh fixes, one finished weapon, and new weapon rebalance away from being done for over a month now. I never set deadlines for the other guys on the team though and we've always taken the stance of it's done when it's done so, eh.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Okay, I got a puzzler for everyone. I reinstalled F:NV and modded it to hell and back, going all out on everything. And predictably a couple issues came up, but I can't figure out what's the culprit this time. There are either some missing textures or corrupted... something? I don't know. If I did know I wouldn't be asking!

I took these screenshots in the starting area to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Sometimes when I drew a weapon it would flash my whole screen white (presumably because one of those bigass exclamation points would get put right in my face), sometimes it was okay as long as I shot from the hip, and sometimes it was fine. I can't nail down a common source of error on it.

Here's my load order. It's kind of... big.

Project Nevada - Core.esm
IWR.esm
Military Explansion Program.esm
oHUD.esm
NVInteriors_Core.esm
NVInteriors_WastelandEditon.esm
NVCE Main.esm
rePopulated Wasteland.esm
Weapon Mod Expansion.esm
WME - DLCs.esm
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esm
FOOK - New Vegas.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
CaravanPack.esm
DeadMoney.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
TribalPack.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
FalloutNV.esm
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
clean McCarran.esp
Lucky 38 Suite Expansion.esp
NV Interiors - El Ray Motel.esp
NV Interiors - West Vegas Fringe.esp
NV Interiors - Cottonwood Cove.esp
The New Bison Steve Hotel.esp
FOOK - New Vegas.esp
FOOK - New Vegas DLCs.esp
Existence2.0.esp
CONELRAD 640-1240.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
NewVegasBountiesII.esp
ManualReload.esp
LegendaryHunter.esp
OWB Companion Teleport.esp
OWB Moddable FIDO.esp
OWB More Vendor Caps.esp
OWB Stealth Field Suit.esp
OWB Valence Extra.esp
OWB Valence Mask.esp
EMR-StealthSuitMkII.esp
NAPA-NV 0.1.esp
The Weapon Mod Menu.esp
NVCE DLC01.esp
NVCE DLC02.esp
NVCE DLC03.esp
NVCE DLC04.esp
CompanionDisguises.esp
Delay DLC - DM + HH + OWB + LR + GRA.esp
Modified Combat Values v2.esp
Weapon Mod Expansion.esp
UniversalPerkRequirements.esp
WME - DLCs.esp
WME - DLCs Arenovalis.esp
Fellout.esp
Fellout-OWB.esp

Total active plugins: 62
Total plugins: 62

I realize thats a hell of a lot of things that can go wrong, but before I start randomly turning stuff off and switching it back on again does anyone have any notion what could be triggering these graphical errors?

I've got an Nvidia 9600M GT on Windows XP SP3.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Naky posted:

Disinterest, real life, and burn out quickly adds a lot of time to modding though. The Armory 3.0's been a couple more mesh fixes, one finished weapon, and new weapon rebalance away from being done for over a month now. I never set deadlines for the other guys on the team though and we've always taken the stance of it's done when it's done so, eh.

max payne 3 :getin:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Willie Tomg posted:

Okay, I got a puzzler for everyone. I reinstalled F:NV and modded it to hell and back, going all out on everything. And predictably a couple issues came up, but I can't figure out what's the culprit this time. There are either some missing textures or corrupted... something? I don't know. If I did know I wouldn't be asking!

I realize thats a hell of a lot of things that can go wrong, but before I start randomly turning stuff off and switching it back on again does anyone have any notion what could be triggering these graphical errors?

Looks like it's missing gun meshes. Go into your new vegas folder and make sure the meshes are going into the right place, instead of, like, inside a data folder inside the data folder.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Worth getting?

Apocalypse Armory has been in development for a while, but the patches dude has been releasing have been solid.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

One of the main things I see is that FalloutNV.esm and the DLCs are not at the top of your load order. Make sure that the Fallout esm is first and the DLCs load right after.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Worth getting?

Very.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Thanks for the responses, while I'm going through checking to see if meshes are in the right place, should the message "WARNING: This plugin has the file extension .esp, but its file header marks it as an esm!" (on the Project Nevada Rebalance, fwiw) be taken to mean anything catastrophic?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Going to get it on your recommendation alone, poo poo better be good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

Thanks for the responses, while I'm going through checking to see if meshes are in the right place, should the message "WARNING: This plugin has the file extension .esp, but its file header marks it as an esm!" (on the Project Nevada Rebalance, fwiw) be taken to mean anything catastrophic?

The warning isn't a problem, and is to be expected. Some authors do tricks with their plugins to reduce conflicts, including what you're seeing.

If you have every required plugin and every required plugin is active, the "!" mesh means that your meshes are installed incorrectly. Might have a second look at your Data and Meshes folders to make sure you didn't install a file one directory too deep or too early.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah I did a manual install (:doh: ) of every. single. one, before I realised FOMM had a setting specfically for installing packages correctly so Vegas odds--OH HO HO!!--are that's where something screwed up. Welp, nothing quite like a scorched earth approach to a several hour install only to do it all again the right way!

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I'm about to start my fourth (Second that I complete, hopefully) game of New Vegas because I wanna try Project Nevada, that poo poo looks -sweet-. What great mods are compatible with it? I'm afraid I'm gonna have to give PN priority as I've tried a lot of other things on the front page (Not all). That said, what do you guys think?

So far literally all I've decided is Project Nevada and one of the weapon mod mods.

EDIT: Yeah, that's literally it, I dunno what I want, something a little different maybe, I'm open to pretty much anything and what I'm asking for really, here, more than mod recommendations is mods that people use with Project Nevada that play nice with it or complement it, etc.

EDIT, son of EDIT:
I'm on an Nvidia 9600 GSO. Quad core at 2.40ghz with 2b of ram, so I'm not particularly looking for something to make it look prettier, but if theres anything that'll do that on my system without bungling up my FPS I'll go for it.

It'd also be cool to expand upon that, yeah, the shoot outs have never been the strong suit of the Fallout games (Well, the first person ones, that's just my opinion, if it makes me weird for finding the turn-based isometric shootouts more exciting than these, then I'm okay with that) and improving that is never bad. Project Nevada looks like it takes some big steps with that (I watched the trailer, I'll never get tired of running into mooks while wearing power armour, then looking down at them through my sweet visor and filling them full of holes, plus grenade hotkey oh thank you sweet jesus thank you)

Also, will gear mods play nice with it? I wouldn't have thought so, because it changes so much, but if any do, I'd like to know them as well. For me, there's no limit to how many lore-friendly weapons, armour and items to be had, the more the better (I did like Borderlands...) so that's always good.

I'm going for colour me evil as well. Hope that'll be okay with Project Nevada, don't see why it shouldn't) because I'm finally gonna do an evil playthrough even if I have to play as Puppy McKickerson, last time I tried that I ended up neutral, and tried to be as much of a bastard as I could to everyone, all the time. Apart from Goodsprings, because I'm an RPing neckbeard who finds immersing yourself makes RPGs a thousand times better, and I thought that that particular character, while a murderer and a bastard, wasn't a sociopath, and could at least find loyalty in him for the man and town that saved his life. So if there's any mods that make that easier or add stuff for that, that's awesome, this ties in with my next request, which is: More quests that don't suck fat dicks (That will work okay with Project Nevada), and more specifically: Quests that are for evil characters or have evil options.

They don't absolutely have to, for example, I'll be using New Vegas Bounties (Do I need to jig anything to make that all in line with Nevada's rules?). I really enjoyed the first one on my attempted-evil character (Rationale: Good guys, bad guys, if the price is right, anyone's a target) and never got round to the second one so I'll do both with thisguy.

Sorry for being so vague, I racked my brains to try and think about what I actually wanted instead of just going 'MORE BETTER NEW VEGAS'

EDITCEPTION:

can I get a link to that thread?

Also, I downloaded that Fallout Mod Manager, either it doesn't work with this version of NV or I did something wrong, but everytime I click 'download with manager' and choose it, it just opens the program; nothing downloads (or starts downloading that I can see, and I had a thorough look). Am I doing something wrong? I had no problem with the Skyrim one.

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 8, 2012

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Upper Edit: ^^^ again, it really matters what kind of experience you're going for. Realism? PN adds a lot of FPS like features, do you want to try to gear your game more towards expanding that experience? Do you want your game to look as best as it can? Without more details it's really hard to recommend stuff.

Depends what you want. The OP is full of really great mods and it's up to you to decide what you want out of your playthrough. Some mods help with gimmick runs, others enhance the game, others add to it, etc.

Lower Edit: as a side note, I recently discovered a thread made a year ago on Nexus' forums where this very modding thread more or less reduced the author of AWOP to furious tears because we kept saying how bloated and poo poo it was (and did) becoming and how it was keeping him up at night thinking about it. Despite that, it wasn't worth it to him to pay 10 dollars to defend his mod of pure awesomeness. Cue about 6 pages of people telling him how awesome he is and how stupid we are.

It's really quite an entertaining thread and makes me wonder what he thought when we finally removed the mod from the OP of recommended mods. :laugh:

Naky fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 8, 2012

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I installed the armory for my next playtrough and I have a question. How do I know it's even working? I'm 2 hours into the game and I've yet to see anything new. :confused:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You need to make sure you are using an ESP that adds it to the leveled lists, or use the cabinet ESP which puts some cabinets behind Goodsprings full of guns and weapons (but no ammo :( )

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Still plugging away at the Wild Wasteland Encounters mod. It's actually pretty fun to work on - doing something more creative and whimsical is fantastic compared to the tedious scripting CCO usually involved. The JSaywer patch is probably going to wait for a little bit, since I don't want to burn myself out entirely by jumping straight into another script-heavy project.

Also, does anyone know what specs a .wav file has to have for the game to recognize it as a sound effect? I've got a .wav file that I'm trying to make into a sound effect for Wild Wasteland Encounters, but it's completely silent in-game and in the GECK. It plays just fine in Windows Media and in VLC, though. Is there something funky I need to do to it to make it recognizable by the game?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cirosan posted:

Also, does anyone know what specs a .wav file has to have for the game to recognize it as a sound effect? I've got a .wav file that I'm trying to make into a sound effect for Wild Wasteland Encounters, but it's completely silent in-game and in the GECK. It plays just fine in Windows Media and in VLC, though. Is there something funky I need to do to it to make it recognizable by the game?

Analyze existing in game .wav files and see what bit rate they're set to and duplicate those settings? Be the only thing I can think of.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Nexuuuuus! :argh:

Latest update of EVE has some nice new effects, do go get it if you haven't updated in a while.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Deleuzionist posted:

Nexuuuuus! :argh:

Latest update of EVE has some nice new effects, do go get it if you haven't updated in a while.

Unless they've fixed the vomiting bug, I'd pass on that.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Naky posted:

Analyze existing in game .wav files and see what bit rate they're set to and duplicate those settings? Be the only thing I can think of.
Good call. I checked out most of the vanilla .wavs and they're pretty consistently at 512kbps, which mine wasn't at. Problem is, Audacity can't export a .wav at anything close to that bit rate, nor does it really let you choose what bit rate the file is saved as. Does anyone know of a good freeware program that lets you change the bit rate of .wav files? Basic Google hunting hasn't turned up much.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Naky posted:

Unless they've fixed the vomiting bug, I'd pass on that.

The guy who stands in front of the the Gun Runners Kiosk just spends his day puking. :allears:

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Cirosan posted:

Good call. I checked out most of the vanilla .wavs and they're pretty consistently at 512kbps, which mine wasn't at. Problem is, Audacity can't export a .wav at anything close to that bit rate, nor does it really let you choose what bit rate the file is saved as. Does anyone know of a good freeware program that lets you change the bit rate of .wav files? Basic Google hunting hasn't turned up much.

You can always try db poweramp's trial version and see if it works that way.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Armory question: Are Freeside Thugs supposed to be armed to the teeth with Sig Sauers and Rusty Mac-10s, because every one I kill yields at least 1000 caps worth of guns rather than the usual lead pipe. :/

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Weapons are distributed through the leveled lists as AS has added them and then drawn from them by the game. How many/often isn't really something we can control though, so yes you can run into situations like that.

That being said, I know Police Automaton has looked into making a script to disable looting weapons from killed enemies to try to cut down on that kind of imbalance and it seems like it can't be done within the game or commands available in NVSE.

I guess all I can suggest is to show some restraint in looting the weapons just like you can ignore all the other many, many ways to break the game's economy in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Naky posted:

You can always try db poweramp's trial version and see if it works that way.
Again, good suggestion. With poweramp I was able to change everything accordingly, but the file is still silent. I've matched up the format, the number of channels, the sample rate, the sample size, the bit rate, and the encoder, but it still doesn't work. Frankly, I'm out of ideas.