Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dragonrah posted:

It's almost like he is going off of what he might have heard someone say how a Kickstarter is ran instead of actually checking one out.

Bloodlines was amazing and I want to back him, but this is just not good. It almost bothers me as much as the Space Quest KSer sending me 5 updates a day.

If you think it's a serious problem that is keeping you from contributing, consider making a post over at the official Dead State forums. They read the threads and respond personally to a lot of stuff, and seem pretty interested in feedback.

e: vvvvvv Yeah I can see what you mean. I don't see a lot of incentive to go above and beyond as far as donating goes. They have a lot of nickel and dime backers, if they could incentivize some higher tiers they might make a lot more.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

octoroon posted:

If you think it's a serious problem that is keeping you from contributing, consider making a post over at the official Dead State forums. They read the threads and respond personally to a lot of stuff, and seem pretty interested in feedback.

I put in $30 before I even watched/read anything. I'd love to give a lot more, but the whole thing is just sort of disappointing and underwhelming.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Zombie Playground pre-alpha gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znRX2vsQQIg

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1972937721/life-after-exploited-dreams-are-seeds-of-inspirati?ref=ending_soon

They will accept anything.

Juc66
Nov 20, 2005
Lord of The Pants

That is the worst kickstarter I've seen thus far, it doesn't even have a real goal.
I'm tempted to make one with the goal of "Make me rich" where all tiers have various degrees of my gratitude as their only reward. Based off that link i'd actually have a chance.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am just glad that the administration did not retroactively ban old Kickstarter threads, as I might actually get The Vapors if the Wasteland 2 thread disappeared.

Not that it will be around much longer anyway, as once my Let's Play gets started I am sure most Wasteland discussion will go there instead, but it is the principle of the thing.

Also, Quest For Infamy looks ... uhh ... somehow both great and awful at the same time. It seems like the team knows what they are doing, so I will assume any awfulness is a factor of the game not at all being finished yet.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Juc66 posted:

That is the worst kickstarter I've seen thus far, it doesn't even have a real goal.
I'm tempted to make one with the goal of "Make me rich" where all tiers have various degrees of my gratitude as their only reward. Based off that link i'd actually have a chance.

I love the FAQ for this "Life after Exploited" thing. "Does every dollar make a difference?" I WONDER WHAT THE ANSWER TO THAT QUESTION IS GOING TO BE. Oh, it turns out the answer is "yes." Go figure!

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Dragonrah posted:

I'd love to give a lot more, but the whole thing is just sort of disappointing and underwhelming.
From what Annie has said on their forums Brian Mitsoda is handling the kickstarter pretty much on his own, and it looks like he isn't much of a salesman. Which is okay on a basic level because the core pitch is strong enough interest people and Dead State isn't doing badly so far. But there also hasn't been much to raise the energy level of the kickstarter. Which is disappointing, since I want to see it do better.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Guys. Come on. Let's get an 11th hour push going!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/554158022/quest-remnants-of-chaos-a-mmorpg-in-development

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

The MSJ posted:

Zombie Playground pre-alpha gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znRX2vsQQIg

The sad thing about this kickstarter is that 100k barely covers this super barebones game. Like it's obvious they came up with it thinking they'd hit the 100k milestone and then actually make the game they wanted on stretch goals.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Oh you know I'm in for $490K

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
A card saying you spent money on a game and naming everything you can think of, so he won't have to.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
The pledge tiers advertise tiers that don't exist on the right. Like the $1 pledge advertises a 1 of 1 pledge tier of $100,000 (where you get the Life After Exploited piece of art!) and same with the $10,000 tier showing stuff if you donate $20,000 and $30,000. And for $2,450, you can get a phone call! Wait, should I have used an ampersand there like her?

What is even being kickstarted? PTSD awareness?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
To my understanding the largest pledge tier that can be added to a Kickstarter is $10k, so anything hire would be handled outside the system.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I could've sworn I posted about this but I didn't, and the new Rock Paper Shotgun Kickstarter Katchup reminded me:

TorchShips looks too beautiful and precious to exist. It's perhaps the nerdiest thing I have ever seen: it tries to model what space combat could actually be like. I'm fascinated by it and I backed it, but it's never going to succeed. Hopefully the game still gets made somehow.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Kontrabida responded to the Unity license thing in the comments section.

Leo posted:

We only need one Unity Pro license for now as I'm the only one who needs immediate access. Only two other people on the team have Unity Indie which we use for animation and interface design. For now, we'll just export these into packages that can be imported into Pro. We'd like to purchase the team license now as we do plan on purchasing multiple seats in the near future; possibly once we get more developers involved. That being said, the money made beyond the goal will be used to pay for other crucial expenses such as paying our contributors.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Now this is something...

Neal Stephenson (yes, the Neal Stephenson) wants to make a swordfighting game. Not a swordfighting game like they are now, but how they should be. Not sure what I think about the project, but the pitch itself is cool as hell. Includes a cameo by Gabe Newell as well. :3:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011

Smol posted:

Now this is something...

Neal Stephenson (yes, the Neal Stephenson) wants to make a swordfighting game. Not a swordfighting game like they are now, but how they should be. Not sure what I think about the project, but the pitch itself is cool as hell. Includes a cameo by Gabe Newell as well. :3:

The biggest problem I have with this is that none of the tiers includes the actual controller. How are they thinking this will work out?

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Lordy posted:

The biggest problem I have with this is that none of the tiers includes the actual controller. How are they thinking this will work out?

The idea of the game requiring some weird controller is already a real negative. It's interesting so I want it to succeed just to see what it's like but I don't think it'd be fun to play at all

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I'm pretty sure it will require a Wii Remote and/or a Kinect. While it isn't exactly clear from the first video, he says this in the second one.

Neal Stephenson posted:

This means new controller hardware and new user interface paradigms. We're going to start with an off-the shelf controller that anyone can buy today. This eliminates the risk that we'll blow this by failing on some ambitious custom hardware project. From there we'll iterate to better stuff, based partly on your feedback.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I could've sworn I posted about this but I didn't, and the new Rock Paper Shotgun Kickstarter Katchup reminded me:

TorchShips looks too beautiful and precious to exist. It's perhaps the nerdiest thing I have ever seen: it tries to model what space combat could actually be like. I'm fascinated by it and I backed it, but it's never going to succeed. Hopefully the game still gets made somehow.

That looks like a more hardcore, detailed version of Nexus: The Jupiter Incident without all the alien-ships-with-reactionless-drives-and-shields bullshit. So basically what I always wanted Nexus to be.

And they cite Alliance/Union and Compact Space as inspirations, gently caress.

I can afford to back one more kickstarter this month, right?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Smol posted:

I'm pretty sure it will require a Wii Remote and/or a Kinect. While it isn't exactly clear from the first video, he says this in the second one.

I agree with this, that's the first thing I thought of when I read that line. 'Oh! A wii-remote. That could work.'

I'd buy into this just because Neal Stephenson.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I guess I'm just not as excited about the idea of a 1:1 motion control sword game as I was in 2006.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Smol posted:

Now this is something...

If this guy wrote a lot of good selling novels (I assume they did) and is friends with Gabe Newell does he really need kickstarter to get money?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Davincie posted:

If this guy wrote a lot of good selling novels (I assume they did) and is friends with Gabe Newell does he really need kickstarter to get money?

I would say no, but Kickstarter is no-risk money, why not take it if you can?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Davincie posted:

I'm sure money just falls out of gabe everywhere he goes, just being near him makes you rich!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

"These things take a little time you know", - Gabe, while fashioning a crowbar

Half Life 3??? :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Why must Gabe outright taunt and tease us now?

Also if this thing is gonna use kinect to begin with I'm out. If your goal is to have hardware with as little latency so it feels right, kinect is the last place you want to go. EVen the wiimote has issues.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The Word Realms kickstarter by the Kingdom of Loathing guys finally has a gameplay video:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2140824020/word-realms/posts/243734

Those of you who don't listen to the KoL podcast, Jick has been doing a lot of complaining about what he feels is update spam from other projects, and I think he's just now trying to find a good balance.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 9, 2012

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

AxeManiac posted:

I'm sure money just falls out of gabe everywhere he goes, just being near him makes you rich!

Valve makes a poo poo load of money, Gabe owns all of it and constantly sponsors new things (buying the Portal and L4D teams) plus he lets his teams do whatever he wants with near infinite funding. If the guy wants to fund a sword fighting game, he can.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Davincie posted:

Valve makes a poo poo load of money, Gabe owns all of it and constantly sponsors new things (buying the Portal and L4D teams) plus he lets his teams do whatever he wants with near infinite funding. If the guy wants to fund a sword fighting game, he can.
…which is why he's letting them build the engine and proof-of-concept the entire thing on someone else's budget and then buys out (and sells licenses for) the finished thing.

They make money because they acquire stuff that already has proven to work, rather than lose money on experimentation.

I'm sure Gabe himself will drop an accidental 10k just because Neal is a cool guy, but wasting company money when there's no need to? Nah.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Tsurupettan posted:

I agree with this, that's the first thing I thought of when I read that line. 'Oh! A wii-remote. That could work.'

I'd buy into this just because Neal Stephenson.

I laughed out loud and shook my head for precisely the same reason.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Smol posted:

Now this is something...

I love his books but he comes off as kind of a snobbish douche in the KS videos. I especially dont like the implication that if they dont get the money from KS they will not make the game. It really paints the project in the light of being a purely commercial project without any real passion behind it.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

I love his books but he comes off as kind of a snobbish douche in the KS videos. I especially dont like the implication that if they dont get the money from KS they will not make the game. It really paints the project in the light of being a purely commercial project without any real passion behind it.

...as opposed to them making the project regardless of whether the campaign succeeds, resulting in people complaining because "if they're going to make it anyway then what's the point in the Kickstarter".

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Smol posted:

I wonder if they'll support the Razer Hydra. Probably, I imagine.

The bigger issue is that you don't get the game itself until you pitch in $25. Not sure how many people are going to want to pony up $25 for an unproven idea.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

StevenM posted:

...as opposed to them making the project regardless of whether the campaign succeeds, resulting in people complaining because "if they're going to make it anyway then what's the point in the Kickstarter".

No, because if you cant get the funds from kickstarter you can look for funds elsewhere. Or try to work on it in your spare time until you have something more to show and try to raise funds again.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Smol posted:

Now this is something...

This post got me extremely excited, and implied this project was something I'd been wanting for years. But man, the idea that 1:1 control of your sword, whether it's by motion control or weird mouse control stuff, is necessary for that or even desirable really bothers me. It seems like something that sounds cool, but really thinking about it, it comes across as the same logic as thinking a game like ARMA 2 needs a reloadable light gun.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Electric Pope posted:

This post got me extremely excited, and implied this project was something I'd been wanting for years. But man, the idea that 1:1 control of your sword, whether it's by motion control or weird mouse control stuff, is necessary for that or even desirable really bothers me. It seems like something that sounds cool, but really thinking about it, it comes across as the same logic as thinking a game like ARMA 2 needs a reloadable light gun.

Yeah, agreed. For a sword game with a 1:1 control scheme to work, the controller has to be able to stop when it hits another sword or a person or whatever. And that's not really a thing that's possible.

Otherwise you're just doing the same old 'waggle horizontally to slash THIS WAY' 'waggle vertically to slash THAT WAY' that we've already seen in Wii games.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've always been really fascinated by the idea of a sword fighting sim, but I really do need to know how I'm going to play it before I invest anything.

This is probably the closest we'll ever get to a new Die By the Sword, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Achmed Jones posted:

Yeah, agreed. For a sword game with a 1:1 control scheme to work, the controller has to be able to stop when it hits another sword or a person or whatever. And that's not really a thing that's possible.

Otherwise you're just doing the same old 'waggle horizontally to slash THIS WAY' 'waggle vertically to slash THAT WAY' that we've already seen in Wii games.
…also, with 1:1 controls, it kind of removes the whole “game” part, I feel. To do what they're describing, you have to already know how to sword-fight and this just does away with the gymnasium they normally train in. That will rather limit the appeal of the whole thing. The development would basically be a massive tutorial and some pretty spiffy AI that will beat you over the head until you've achieved sufficient levels of sword mastery.

It's a neat idea, but it seems to have rather narrow applicability. I suppose, building on what I said earlier about someone buying or licensing the engine, I could definitely see the whole thing feeding into a more classic fighting-style game, along the lines of Bushido Blade, but that would undo the core idea behind the project and just map stances and attacks to button combos.

I kind of get why he wants to do it — Hiro Protagonist needs to be made real :D — and looking at my re-enactment buddies, they sure are willing to dump a whole lot of cash into gear, but still…