Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Another day, another case where DOMA is found unconstitutional.
Only district court though.

A widow sued the feds over estate taxes she was forced to pay because DOMA excluded her from the unlimited marriage deduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

DOMA just got ruled unconstitutional in an NYCLU/ACLU case in Windsor! Trying to find a source, but for now, here's the NYCLU twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/nyclu

Tweet: https://twitter.com/nyclu/status/210483678634184704

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entries/federal-court-in-new-york-rules-doma-unconstitutional

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yes! Here's their Web page.
https://www.aclu.org/blog/lgbt-rights/another-doma-win

It is a lower court in Manhattan.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
After digging into the press releases, it looks like this is another case that specifically attacks Section 3 (federal recognition). It still leaves Section 2 (state recognition) intact from the looks of the press releases.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
The NAACP giving their public support to marriage equality has had major repercussions in the Iowa-Nebraska area.

NAACP board endorses same sex marriage

NAACP leader quits over gay marriage

The former president of the Iowa and Nebraska regional conference of the NAACP was a bigot and an obstacle to cooperation between the gay and black communities. He attacked not just marriage equality but also being gay.

Rev.Ratliff posted:

"There is no parallel between gay rights activism and the civil rights movement of the 1960s. That is an insult to the civil rights movement."

Rev.Ratliff posted:

"Deviant behavior is not the same as being denied your right to vote."

This was playing right along with the National Organization for Marriage's plan to continue to push for and exploit a divide between these two communities.

NOM posted:

"The strategic goal of this project is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks -- two key Democratic constituencies"

NOM Divisive Memos

Hopefully his replacement will have a view toward equality that is more inclusive. It would mean a lot if the local NAACP were willing to support keeping marriage legal in Iowa and helping make it legal in Nebraska. There's always a lot of talk about the black community being strongly against gay rights, but the statistics I've seen when this comes up on SA seem to show otherwise. There's strong historical precedent for black support of gay rights. Black Panther Party founder Huey Newton said more than forty years ago:

Huey P. Newton posted:

"Whatever your personal opinions and your insecurities about
homosexuality and the various liberation movements among homosexuals
and women (and I speak of the homosexuals and women as oppressed
groups), we should try to unite with them in a revolutionary fashion."

The full text of Huey's speech is here. It's worth a read.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

That is a great speech by Newton.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

After digging into the press releases, it looks like this is another case that specifically attacks Section 3 (federal recognition). It still leaves Section 2 (state recognition) intact from the looks of the press releases.
Nobody is touching Section 2 other than maybe the Prop 8 team (AFER) and they are far more aggressive than other LGBT legal orgs.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Nobody is touching Section 2 other than maybe the Prop 8 team (AFER) and they are far more aggressive than other LGBT legal orgs.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but if the Supreme Court decides to uphold the lower court's ruling in the Prop 8 or the 1st Circuit DOMA cases on Equal Protection grounds then I'm not sure how Section 2 could then stand. If denying recognition of marriage violates equal protection, it's hard to see why it should matter if that recognition is denied by a state rather than the federal government. (Of course, the Justices could craft such an opinion, but I think they would have to use some tortured reasoning to get there.)

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Opponents block Washington state gay marriage

Seattle Times posted:

Washington's gay marriage law was blocked from taking effect Wednesday as opponents filed more than 200,000 signatures seeking a public vote on the issue in November.

Preserve Marriage Washington submitted the signatures just a day before the state was to begin allowing same-sex marriages. State officials will review the filings over the next week to determine whether the proposed Referendum 74 will qualify for a public vote, though the numbers suggest the measure will make the ballot easily.

Anyone here involved in Washington state? What's it looking like?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

platzapS posted:

Feb. poll had the law being approved 50-46.
Seems like that's all the news.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Thewittyname posted:

Maybe I'm overly optimistic, but if the Supreme Court decides to uphold the lower court's ruling in the Prop 8 or the 1st Circuit DOMA cases on Equal Protection grounds then I'm not sure how Section 2 could then stand. If denying recognition of marriage violates equal protection, it's hard to see why it should matter if that recognition is denied by a state rather than the federal government. (Of course, the Justices could craft such an opinion, but I think they would have to use some tortured reasoning to get there.)

The Prop 8 ruling is very narrowly written and couldn't really apply outside of California- it's based both on previously granting the right to marry and having an institution exactly the same as marriage other than the name.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!

Sefer posted:

The Prop 8 ruling is very narrowly written and couldn't really apply outside of California- it's based both on previously granting the right to marry and having an institution exactly the same as marriage other than the name.

The 9th Circuit's ruling was narrow and only applied to California. However, the original district court ruling was much broader, finding that a SSM ban violated Equal Protection. That decision would, if adopted by the Supreme Court, legalize same sex marriage in every state.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

platzapS posted:

Everyone here knew all along they were going to get the signatures to put it on the ballot and the pro-marriage campaign has been running hard for some time now. They expect to raise over $6 million for the pro-marriage campaign and while the polling isn't great (54% said they think gay marriage should be legal in a poll last week, but it didn't ask specifically how/if they'd vote on it) it isn't bad either. I'd ballpark it at 2/3rds chance of being approved by the voters.

gohuskies fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 8, 2012

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thewittyname posted:

The 9th Circuit's ruling was narrow and only applied to California. However, the original district court ruling was much broader, finding that a SSM ban violated Equal Protection. That decision would, if adopted by the Supreme Court, legalize same sex marriage in every state.
But the 9th circuit's decision gives the SCOTUS an "out", allowing them to not hear the case and let the decision stand, only impacting CA. They may be reluctant to take on the issue at the national level, dealing with DOMA, etc.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

platzapS posted:

This is about as surprising as the sun coming up next morning. All that stuff about "the law was supposed to go into effect tomorrow" is just a writer trying to inject drama into very boring government procedure.

Overall, things are looking good. The ballot language has already been hashed out in court, and that was a fairly major victory: it went from the stock NOM attack line of "this bill would redefine marriage..." to "this bill allows same-sex couples to marry" with a disclaimer that it wouldn't affect religious organizations. The R-71 fight a few years back (over the "everything but marriage" civil unions bill) means that there's experience and contact lists for a substantial statewide field operation in support of same-sex marriage, which isn't easy to build from scratch. R-71's passage itself is another bright spot: in an off-year election, which has an electorate that tends to skew older and more conservative, we still managed to uphold recognition for same-sex couples. With the Obama machine and a big gubernatorial race driving turnout, things look even better. Polling looks similar to R-71 at this stage in the game, too. And, finally, NOM's January threat of $250k donations to anyone intending to primary a Republican state legislator who voted for same-sex marriage has come up totally empty.

It's definitely not a sure thing, but there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic.

TheShadowAvatar
Nov 25, 2004

Ain't Nothing But A Family Thing

Space Gopher posted:

NOM's January threat of $250k donations to anyone intending to primary a Republican state legislator who voted for same-sex marriage has come up totally empty.

The gently caress. Do people seriously pay no attention to the political climate in this state? This is not the South, if you try to play that game you get laughed at during elections, with the exceptions being in some of the Eastern Washington counties.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Family Research Council releases a Documentary

The Problem with Same-Sex Marriage
This is fear mongering in its craziest forms.

Guy breaks down crying because he got thrown in prison for saying his son should not be taught about gays...I wish I was joking.

A lot of Former Homosexuals interviews

quote:

The Problem with Same-Sex "Marriage" is a documentary that shows in heartbreaking detail what happens when marriage is redefined. We follow the stories of David and Tonia Parker and Robb and Robin Wirthlin as their religious liberties run headlong into political correctness and pro-homosexual instruction in their public schools. This documentary will open your eyes to the pattern of intolerance and intimidation toward those espousing marriage as the union of one man and one woman. This documentary will also equip you to know your rights, and to make a difference in you community.

It is worth watching I think because it gives you a view into how hosed these people are and the desire to strike fear into the hearts of parents.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Does the documentary cover the most ridiculous "victim" of same sex marriage?

quote:

A man said he failed the Massachusetts bar exam because he refused to answer a question about gay marriage, and claims in a federal lawsuit the test violated his rights and targeted his religious beliefs.
The actual question is pretty :stare: too

quote:

"Yesterday, Jane got drunk and hit (her spouse) Mary with a baseball bat, breaking Mary's leg, when she learned that Mary was having an affair with Lisa. As a result, Mary decided to end her marriage with Jane in order to live in her house with (children) Philip (and) Charles and Lisa. What are the rights of Mary and Jane?"

e: VVVV I'm not used to exam questions about drunken assault and battery but I guess it's a reasonable legal scenario.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 10, 2012

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Does the documentary cover the most ridiculous "victim" of same sex marriage?

It's not that bad, look at with a heterosexual couple. Doesn't seem that out of place to me.

law posted:

"Yesterday, John got drunk and hit (his spouse) Mary with a baseball bat, breaking Mary's leg, when he learned that Mary was having an affair with Bill. As a result, Mary decided to end her marriage with john in order to live in her house with (children) Philip (and) Charles and Lisa. What are the rights of Mary and John?"

Though I don't know if same sex marriages have all the same custody rights as opposite sex marriages.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Their bigotry shows very clearly in the shallowness of their arguments. There's 2 premises to that video that if you don't already believe then that video isn't going to convince you of anything.

1. Being gay is inherently bad.
2. Christianity > *

Every single thing they say goes back to either of those points. There is one great counterargument, though. If gay marriage is an issue of religious freedom then why can't those churches that want to have gay marriage also be protected under freedom of religion?

I also love the part where they fap over the rightness of the royal wedding. These people don't want to live in a country with religious freedom. They want to live in a Judeo-Christian theocracy, and it pisses them off every time they're reminded that people that are different from themselves exist.

Lemonus
Apr 25, 2005

Return dignity to the art of loafing.
That documentary... Id laugh so much more if these people weren't a real force in America loving with peoples basic rights. Tony Perkins begins his chat about same sex marriage with a pithy quiff about Roe v Wade. Just to troll.

This woman...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicky_Hartzler#Controversy

Its just the editing of the film ffs

At this point when it zooms in on a "Who's in a family?" diversity handbook or something there is literally what sounds like subtle hellfire noises like zooming in on a weapon at a murder scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egxB0dTajb4&t=391s

So anyways, one real horrendous crux of their whole situation is one father who got arrested and spent like 6 hours in jail after making a big religious fuss at the school and refusing to leave after being trespassed.

This is their mass persecution documented. One dad, 6 hours in jail. In 2005.

And they have to lie out the teeth about it/give their own account only:
http://holybulliesandheadlessmonsters.blogspot.co.nz/2009/04/nom-lies-about-david-parker-controversy.html

Such is the state of American Fundamentalist politics. And its hugely influential.

Lemonus fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jun 10, 2012

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Lemonus posted:

So anyways, the real horrendous crux of their whole situation is one father who got arrested and spent like 6 hours in jail after making a big fuss at the school and I can only presume called a school teacher a horrendous sinner/blasphemer for at one point bringing up to the kids the fact that same-sex marriage is legal.

This is their mass persecution documented. One dad, 6 hours in jail. In 2005.

Of course, this ends up under the headline 'man jailed for expressing his christian beliefs'... It angers me to no end how they re-frame their hate.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

SmuglyDismissed posted:

Of course, this ends up under the headline 'man jailed for expressing his christian beliefs'... It angers me to no end how they re-frame their hate.

Time was, being persecuted for being Christian meant genuine state oppression from enslavement on up to being torn apart by wild animals or in some other way being spectacularly murdered. These days, apparently it is means very occasionally not being able to force everyone else to follow your own social narrative, the poor dears.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

News(?) about the Maine referendum.

In a new poll, a law allowing same sex marriage is supported 55-36.

WBUR is unfortunately summarizing this as 55% support for the November referendum and every other news source is parroting that.

They did not ask about the referendum or if you would actually vote for that law. They asked the text within the referendum which is a completely understandable mistake, but "Do you favor X?" is not equivalent to "Would you vote for a referendum that does X?"

For example, the final opinion poll in North Carolina showed 55% believed civil unions or same sex marriage should be legal and 55% would vote for a constitutional amendment that banned both.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

They did not ask about the referendum or if you would actually vote for that law. They asked the text within the referendum which is a completely understandable mistake, but "Do you favor X?" is not equivalent to "Would you vote for a referendum that does X?"

For example, the final opinion poll in North Carolina showed 55% believed civil unions or same sex marriage should be legal and 55% would vote for a constitutional amendment that banned both.

How does this even work? What mindset lets you say "I think this should be legal, but I would vote against making it legal"?

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
It's more, "I think this should be legal but I can't manage to get off my rear end and go vote for it"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The difference is people adjusting their answer to please the pollster - the people polling asking "do you think it should be legal" give off the impression it should, while those asking if you'd ban it more give off the impression it shouldn't.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

evilweasel posted:

The difference is people adjusting their answer to please the pollster - the people polling asking "do you think it should be legal" give off the impression it should, while those asking if you'd ban it more give off the impression it shouldn't.

Usually the question is asked would you support a law allowing same sex couples to marry? Would you support a law that defines marriage as between one man and one woman?

It's funny how language effects people answer. Also, I have learned that if we poll a random sample of say 600 people, anyone can get around 5 percent in a poll because people don't want to sound stupid.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Riptor posted:

It's more, "I think this should be legal but I can't manage to get off my rear end and go vote for it"

But that's not the case here, since the second part of the statement implies that not only will the person in question get off his/her rear end to vote, he/she will vote against the opinion voiced in the first part of the statement.

evilweasel posted:

This is possibly closer to the truth, but I just can't imagine it swinging 10-20% of the population -- is it really the case that one out of every ten people (enough to go from 55% in favor to 55% opposed) wants to please some stranger on the phone so badly they'll answer "yes" to anything at all?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Grundulum posted:

But that's not the case here, since the second part of the statement implies that not only will the person in question get off his/her rear end to vote, he/she will vote against the opinion voiced in the first part of the statement.

This is possibly closer to the truth, but I just can't imagine it swinging 10-20% of the population -- is it really the case that one out of every ten people (enough to go from 55% in favor to 55% opposed) wants to please some stranger on the phone so badly they'll answer "yes" to anything at all?
For what it's worth it, the amendment question came first and the text does not explicitly say "bans civil unions".

Then people went on to show they didn't know what it did.

But even if people did not understand what Amendment One did, the wording and ordering of questions is incredibly important and "Do you favor?" should not be summarized as "Would you vote for?"
Maybe support wouldn't erode to such a degree but they are not the same question.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Lambda and ACLU filed in Illinois today.

Seems like a solid case because the Illinois Constitution includes specific bans against discrimination based on sex and special laws when general laws can be made applicable.

But courts can do whatever they want. V:shobon:V
So yeah about that...
Ill. prosecutors refuse to defend gay marriage ban

quote:

Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan and Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez have refused to defend the 16-year-old ban, which defines marriage as between a man and a woman, saying it violates the state constitution's equal protection clause.

It "reflects the fact that we're at a tipping point now ... (because) our government finds these laws indefensible," she said. "It comes at a time when a form of discrimination against a class of people in our society is so shameful and reprehensible that it's incapable of defense."
Neither the Cook County State's Attorney nor the Attorney General is willing to defend the law so an anti-gay-marriage group is going to petition to defend the law themselves. :allears:

They haven't got a leg to stand on. :)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Well somebody has to defend the law.

A judge will be generous in granting standing when the alternative is giving the AG the power of nullification, right?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Illinois county clerks/Thomas More Society were granted standing.

Not a big deal. ACLU and Lambda Legal (the plaintiffs) are cool with it.

quote:

“We think their arguments have no merit, but it’s best to face them now rather than face them later on,” Knight said. “It gets us to a point where we can feel confident that we’ve won the freedom to marry statewide.”
Without any defense there was a chance the ruling would only be applicable to Cook County and that's not good.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 4, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
How does that Thomas More Society get to be a 501(3)(c)? It seems like they're doing pro-bono work only to fight for laws they agree with politically. I don't know anything about how that works but it just feels wrong.

Edit: Nah I guess it makes sense the more I think about it? They just have to claim it's for the betterment of society?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 3, 2012

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Nah I guess it makes sense the more I think about it? They just have to claim it's for the betterment of society?

Basically the IRS doesn't often enforce the political lobbying rule unless it's really, really blatant because of the legal process to revoke tax-exempt status is incredibly time and money consuming.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Department of Justice filed for cert in the two major DOMA Section 3 (the ban on federal recognition) cases.

I don't believe there are any practical effects other than possibly moving the Golinski case directly to SCOTUS without a 9th Circuit decision (oral arguments will still happen).

The earliest SCOTUS could announce they are taking the cases is September 24th and the earliest ruling would be June 2013.

With the present Justices I think Section 3 would be tossed out, but not all of DOMA. Nobody is arguing that all of DOMA should be thrown out but SCOTUS has that power. Then we will reach the annoying time when the rest of DOMA (states cannot be forced to recognize out of state same sex marriages) is on incredibly shaky ground but we don't have 5 votes to overturn it.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 4, 2012

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Google is not loving around and launching a worldwide push for marriage equality focusing on particularly homophobic countries.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Really good poll out of Maine today, assuming everything is legit.
But there's no document or crosstabs available so I can't be 100% sure.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Is that really the actual wording of the ballot question?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Is that really the actual wording of the ballot question?
For now it says “Do you want to allow same-sex couples to marry?”
The public comment period ends on the 16th and then there are 10 days to appeal.

Supporters are not happy and they've got a point considering it's a significant change from the 2009 language over the same law.

2009 People's Veto Question: “Do you want to reject the new law that lets same-sex couples marry and allows individuals and religious groups to refuse to perform these marriages?”

2012 Question submitted by petitioners: “Do you favor a law allowing marriage licenses for same-sex couples that protects religious freedom by ensuring no religion or clergy be required to perform such a marriage in violation of their religious beliefs?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaPete
Nov 14, 2004

Hail to the speaker,
Hail to the knower,
Joy to him who has understood,
Delight to those who have listened.

- Hávamál
I think I am out of my depth. I was debating marriage equality on facebook with a moron and he said his perfect system would be to "just remove the word marriage from the government lexicon all together, replace it with domestic partnership for everyone and leave the marrying to the individuals, their churches, and their deity"

My first reaction was to agree with him but he hasn't said anything remotely reasonable up to this point.

Is this a trap?

• Locked thread