Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Achmed Jones posted:

Yeah, agreed. For a sword game with a 1:1 control scheme to work, the controller has to be able to stop when it hits another sword or a person or whatever. And that's not really a thing that's possible.

Otherwise you're just doing the same old 'waggle horizontally to slash THIS WAY' 'waggle vertically to slash THAT WAY' that we've already seen in Wii games.

I was more getting at the idea that the part of Really Real Swordfighting that's important to a game isn't the physical act of swinging the sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Electric Pope posted:

I was more getting at the idea that the part of Really Real Swordfighting that's important to a game isn't the physical act of swinging the sword.

Agreed. And M&B (and soon War of the Roses) has already provided us with everything short of the physical control so its not even something thats not already out there like Stephenson is claiming.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004
I'm surprised they're going with the Half-Life 2 engine for this, and it reminded me of this other HL2 Kickstarter project.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Krenzo posted:

I'm surprised they're going with the Half-Life 2 engine for this, and it reminded me of this other HL2 Kickstarter project.

Is there some sort of economic bonus to using the Source engine instead of Unreal? Except of course long loading times and loads of memory usages.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Boiled Water posted:

Is there some sort of economic bonus to using the Source engine instead of Unreal? Except of course long loading times and loads of memory usages.

Did you notice that Gabe showed up in the video? He is apparently a part of this whole swordfighting group thing. Of course they are using Source, and considering that it's an arena fighting game Source should work well.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Red Minjo posted:

The Word Realms kickstarter by the Kingdom of Loathing guys finally has a gameplay video:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2140824020/word-realms/posts/243734

Those of you who don't listen to the KoL podcast, Jick has been doing a lot of complaining about what he feels is update spam from other projects, and I think he's just now trying to find a good balance.
I do not know if it is the soothingly radical background music or actually seeing how Scrabble Plus Combat Equals Fun, but suddenly I do want to support that project after all, and no longer care that it looks awful.

Hmmm ... but ... one whole dollar more than $10 ...

(I am actually a pretty big fan of non-rounded numbers for pricing things, just kidding)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Achmed Jones posted:

Yeah, agreed. For a sword game with a 1:1 control scheme to work, the controller has to be able to stop when it hits another sword or a person or whatever. And that's not really a thing that's possible.

Otherwise you're just doing the same old 'waggle horizontally to slash THIS WAY' 'waggle vertically to slash THAT WAY' that we've already seen in Wii games.
Well, there is a middle ground, where the angle of your fake-sword actually matters, but it's still a little weird when the controller can't really stop, as in Red Steel 2 (which used the WiiMotion Plus), except, that's already been done…

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Quarex posted:

I do not know if it is the soothingly radical background music or actually seeing how Scrabble Plus Combat Equals Fun, but suddenly I do want to support that project after all, and no longer care that it looks awful.

Hmmm ... but ... one whole dollar more than $10 ...

(I am actually a pretty big fan of non-rounded numbers for pricing things, just kidding)

Seriously. I mean 11? That's ridiculous. It's not even funny.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm not supporting Word Realms because KoL eventually proved that the KoL guys have absolutely no idea how to balance an MMO or make it fun beyond inflicting it with bloat and more opportunities for flavor text everywhere.

(4 years of KoL until the NS13 update, then I quit after the poo poo stew that that "revamp" was.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Man... CLANG is making a lot of money.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Man... CLANG is making a lot of money.

A real professional video and a big name will help that. I wouldn't be surprised to see a final number in the same range as Double Fine and Wasteland 2.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Aww, that is cute. I like it. Even though I now know definitively that it is ridiculous, and indeed not even funny.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CLANG sounds like the most boring concept for a game ever, and really brings to light the "why don't I just do it in real life, then?" question:

1) THPS was an awesome series because it allowed us to do things it'd be impossible to do in real life.

2) Skate is an awesome series because although it takes the subject matter more seriously/realistically, it still requires far less effort and expenditure of time and physical involvement then actually learning how to ride a skateboard

3) Tony Hawk's Ride sucks because it requires the exact same expenditure of time and physical involvement as actually riding a skateboard, and reproduces the experience poorly.

There's a cutoff of "realism v. fun" on the graph of "realism-based videogames", and its pretty much always passed when you have to physically perform the motions indicated in an ostensible one-to-one fashion. There's a reason controllers have been around for over 40 years, folks.

Seriously, how hard would it be to go to a kendo/sword-fighting class if you really, honestly, want to learn how to swing a long bladed instrument around. This on top of the fact that Demon/Dark Souls/ Monster Hunter are practically already sword-fighting games on top of having, you know, an actual game.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 10, 2012

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Occupation posted:

(4 years of KoL until the NS13 update, then I quit after the poo poo stew that that "revamp" was.)

What's up 4 year KoL buddy :hfive:

I did the exact same thing and have not interest in this game. However, I will say it is a neat concept.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Here is a lot more detail on whats going on and in the video you see them using Wiimotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zArYr95MG4

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Overemotional Robot posted:

What's up 4 year KoL buddy :hfive:

Hell yeah :unsmith:

I remember trying for a one-dayer on the eve of NS13 and the servers crashing when I was at the top of the Sorceress' tower with 12 adventures left :smith:

Anyways yeah, to anyone who sees "KoL" in the Word Realms game credits and goes "Oh, they made an MMO before! I should totally fund this KS!" Just...don't. The guys behind the game have absolutely 0 idea how to gamebalance and should be involved in no aspect of video game production. They're both clearly writers (they're good writers, although obsessed with the "reference = brilliant joke" format) who have no idea how to appeal to their devout, actually-plays-the-game-regularly fans in a way that doesn't infuriate them. Avoid at all costs, unless they outsource game balance and programming (until NS13, KoL was one of the buggiest, slowest, laggiest games I've ever played. This was a browser-based video game with no graphics beyond .jpgs, by the way.) to somebody else and stick solely to writing.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 10, 2012

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Occupation posted:

Seriously, how hard would it be to go to a kendo/sword-fighting class if you really, honestly, want to learn how to swing a long bladed instrument around. This on top of the fact that Demon/Dark Souls/ Monster Hunter are practically already sword-fighting games on top of having, you know, an actual game.
None of those games have anything whatsoever to do with sword-fighting though. The flailing going on in those does not even resemble swordsmanship. Besides, is there not an entire genre of games on PS3 and Wii these days based on swinging invisible swords around in your living room?

As for classes, they are not available everywhere and generally quite a bit more expensive in regards to fees and equipment than picking up a game to have a go. In addition, nothing says you have to pick between the game and classes; if anything the game can be a great gateway to the sports. I am horribly biased of course, since I fence and do kenjutsu and still thoroughly enjoy sword-fighting games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wonder if those Makey Makey tools can be made compatible with Clang? Forget all that single game hardware and hook up a bat or your arm.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 10, 2012

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Arthur D Wolfe posted:

None of those games have anything whatsoever to do with sword-fighting though. The flailing going on in those does not even resemble swordsmanship.

I've never swung a sword in real life but Demon's Souls, and Monster Hunter specifically, felt crunchy and real enough to me to not really notice any difference.

And I feel like the PS3/Wii games comparison is a reiteration of my point; those games are awesome because they have a layer of unreality to them- for instance, NMH 1/2 are amazing games because they approximate sword skills just enough to feel like you're in control but you still end up doing crazy awesome poo poo (with a weapon that also doesn't actually exist). They don't try to be a 1:1 motion replicator, and if they were they'd suck, because you wouldn't end up being able to cut a 600 pound dude in half after you Mexican suplexed them or whatever.

And again, you can't accurately replicate parries or blocks in a meaningful way in a videogame, so what's the point in making it a sim?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Scalding Coffee posted:

I wonder if those Makey Makey tools can be made compatible with Clang? Forget all that single game hardware and hook up a bat or your arm.
Makey Makey is not Magic Magic. It just turns things into buttons.

Hog in the Meadow
Jul 3, 2006

Gam zeh ya'avor

Mr.48 posted:

Agreed. And M&B (and soon War of the Roses) has already provided us with everything short of the physical control so its not even something thats not already out there like Stephenson is claiming.
As fun as M&B combat is, there isn't really that much depth to the swordfights. There's left slash, right slash, overhead swing, stab, and that's it.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Boiled Water posted:

The devs are the people who made Dystopia which is probably the best HL2 mod so yes they are going to use Source. Source is actually pretty good? I dunno if you've seen Vindictus but I think it looks excellent.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Hog in the Meadow posted:

As fun as M&B combat is, there isn't really that much depth to the swordfights. There's left slash, right slash, overhead swing, stab, and that's it.

You can also parry, block, fake people out, etc. It can get as complicated as you want it to be.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
There isn't really a Skate of swordsmanship though. M&B is probably the closest, but as others have said it's really not THAT deep, being mostly focused on large group battles, and it's also not especially polished. Dark Souls is closer to THPS, while most games with swords are, poo poo, Jet Set Radio Future I guess?

That's why I was excited, and looking again it might still be at least close to what I want out of it - it mentions "moves" and doesn't actually say anything about 1:1 control, so I'm hoping it's gesture controlled, pretty much like Skate. There's still the question of why they couldn't do that with a mouse or thumbstick, or how well that would turn out with current motion technology, but I guess we'll see.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Krenzo posted:

Source is really cheap to license, isn't it? You're not paying through the nose like you are with the Crysis Engine.

Krenzo
Nov 10, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

Source is really cheap to license, isn't it? You're not paying through the nose like you are with the Crysis Engine.

Unity appears to be cheaper and better maintained. It also seemed to be the engine of choice by Kickstarter projects.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Occupation posted:

CLANG sounds like the most boring concept for a game ever, and really brings to light the "why don't I just do it in real life, then?" question:

[...]

That's like saying "why play a flight simulator when I can just do it in real life, then?"

This project is meant to appeal to those people.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
The Two Guys From Andromeda's kickstarter is down to 54 hours left, and they are about 60k$ short of their goal, but there has been quite a boost in the daily pledges, so the exciting question is if they can keep up that momentum. As it seems now it can very easily go both ways.

Meanwhile; The Nuka Break Season Two kickstarter has about a week left, but have been in a standstill around 110k$ for days now, so making their 120k stretch goal is no longer certain.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Krenzo posted:

Unity appears to be cheaper and better maintained. It also seemed to be the engine of choice by Kickstarter projects.

Unity also isn't 100% ideal for all projects. I wouldn't use it for something really small (there's a pretty big base level overhead for the engine) or something really huge and complicated. Also the more eye candy and special shader effects you want to use, the worse Unity performs.

I mean I love it to bits and we use it for all our dumb indie games but there are definitely many scenarios where I'd use Unreal over it. And it's not even THAT expensive to use. The indie licensing terms are actually pretty drat good.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Der Shovel posted:

Unity also isn't 100% ideal for all projects. I wouldn't use it for something really small (there's a pretty big base level overhead for the engine) or something really huge and complicated. Also the more eye candy and special shader effects you want to use, the worse Unity performs.

I mean I love it to bits and we use it for all our dumb indie games but there are definitely many scenarios where I'd use Unreal over it. And it's not even THAT expensive to use. The indie licensing terms are actually pretty drat good.

I'm using Unity for a sprite based platformer on iOS. You can really cut down a lot of the overhead. Unless you mean something like a text-based roguelike, in which case Unity would definitely be a poor choice.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Utritum posted:

The Two Guys From Andromeda's kickstarter is down to 54 hours left, and they are about 60k$ short of their goal, but there has been quite a boost in the daily pledges, so the exciting question is if they can keep up that momentum. As it seems now it can very easily go both ways.
I would be shocked if there wasn't a last day surge for it.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
Ate there any games that kickstarter funded that have actually come out? I haven't been following kickstarter very long.

Lordy
Jan 2, 2011
I don't think we've talked about Solarial yet , which basically looks like Terraria in space, but you seem to be able to control gravity. It looks kinda cool and it is a Sandbox game with a ModAPI coming out and their goal of 30,000 seems not to bad I guess.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rikimaru posted:

Ate there any games that kickstarter funded that have actually come out? I haven't been following kickstarter very long.

I'm sure there are smaller indie games that have been Kickstarter funded in the past, but this Kickstarter explosion really took off with the Double Fine Kickstarter, and it hasn't been anywhere near long enough since then for anybody to have had the time to make an actual game.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Rikimaru posted:

No Time to Explain. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Time_To_Explain

speng31b
May 8, 2010

NINbuntu 64 posted:

I'm using Unity for a sprite based platformer on iOS. You can really cut down a lot of the overhead. Unless you mean something like a text-based roguelike, in which case Unity would definitely be a poor choice.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this. If you're making a simple 2D game, you'd have to make some pretty serious mistakes for the "engine overhead" of Unity to be any sort of concern, unless I guess it's really important that people be able to run your game on a toaster.

Unless of course by "overhead" it is actually meant "complexity of creation," in which case the poster is probably right. There are lots of libraries out there designed to go straight to the 2D stuff, whereas Unity -- well, you have to learn how to use Unity and THEN learn how to turn it into a 2D engine, which is excessive unless the capabilities of Unity fit your release goals very well. For instance, if you wanted to make a 2D game and HAD to release it on iOS, Android, and browsers all at once, Unity would be a pretty sweet deal.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 10, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Der Shovel posted:

This may have been the case for older versions of Unity, but not anymore, as of 3.5 and on things are pretty streamlined, and it can handle large and small games just fine as well, as with most things its all dependent on the developer, if you have lovely skills your going to get a lovely game.

octoroon posted:

Unless of course by "overhead" it is actually meant "complexity of creation," in which case the poster is probably right. There are lots of libraries out there designed to go straight to the 2D stuff, whereas Unity -- well, you have to learn how to use Unity and THEN learn how to turn it into a 2D engine, which is excessive unless the capabilities of Unity fit your release goals very well. For instance, if you wanted to make a 2D game and HAD to release it on iOS, Android, and browsers all at once, Unity would be a pretty sweet deal.

There are at lest three very cheap addons that do just this on the asset store, and they do it VERY well.
Like this one http://www.unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 10, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

LumberingTroll posted:

There are at lest three very cheap addons that do just this on the asset store, and they do it VERY well.
Like this one http://www.unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/

Probably so. To be honest I haven't looked into 2D with Unity much at all, which is probably a mistake since a lot of the third-party information and tools built up around it are really a big part of what make using Unity so awesome. That and their not-terrible-but-really-great documentation.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.

Mordaedil posted:

That's like saying "why play a flight simulator when I can just do it in real life, then?"

This project is meant to appeal to those people.

You've hit the nail on the head there. Also those people generally don't have an objection to buying additional controllers and peripherals.

[Looks at HOTAS on his desk and TrackIR sensor on his monitor]

Also some tidbits from the FAQ on the Clang kickstarter page:
-They mention the Razer Hydra specifically
-In discussing Mac OS and Linux ports they mention "leaning strongly" towards Unity.
-The game will be playable with a mouse and keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Occupation posted:

I've never swung a sword in real life but Demon's Souls, and Monster Hunter specifically, felt crunchy and real enough to me to not really notice any difference.
Fair enough, but the people that want to see CLANG made notice a difference already from the character's ready stance. You admit yourself you have never swung a sword before, so surely you can understand that people who do so frequently may not be as convinced by mainstream depictions as you are.

Occupation posted:

And I feel like the PS3/Wii games comparison is a reiteration of my point; those games are awesome because they have a layer of unreality to them- for instance, NMH 1/2 are amazing games because they approximate sword skills just enough to feel like you're in control but you still end up doing crazy awesome poo poo (with a weapon that also doesn't actually exist). They don't try to be a 1:1 motion replicator, and if they were they'd suck, because you wouldn't end up being able to cut a 600 pound dude in half after you Mexican suplexed them or whatever.
What I am taking away from this paragraph is basically that you do not want a realistic sword-fighting game because you would not enjoy a realistic sword-fighting game. That is perfectly fine and if you enjoy the products currently on the market then more power to you! It is not an argument against a more niche product though, similar to how the existence of the Ace Combat series does not preclude the development of Flight Simulator X.

Occupation posted:

And again, you can't accurately replicate parries or blocks in a meaningful way in a videogame, so what's the point in making it a sim?
We actually sort of did, and it was a really fun game that was amazing in multiplayer. It is archaic by today's standards to be sure, but if we could get this close fourteen years ago I see no reason to not give it another shot. Die by the Sword also had lots of silly game modes like playing tennis with a kobold, and since they want CLANG to be incredibly modular I see no reason why such over-the-top gameplay could not be implemented by the community.

I realise I am taking up way too much thread real estate with this discussion, so I am going to stop pestering you. I want to make clear that I do not think you are wrong per se, you are just only right from where you are standing. Like many other Kickstarter projects this one exists for a specific group of people, and if they get their game there really will be no harm done, will there?